Kane being Kane and Kadri potentially to miss rest of Playoffs .....

pilldoc

Should Kane be suspended for his hit on Kadri?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kane be suspended for his hit on Kadri?

• Yes (if yes ... go to next qustion listed below)
    • No
  2. 2. If suspended ...how long?

• 1 Game
    • Rest of series (1-4 games)
    • Carries over into next season (greater than 5 games)
    • other

This poll is closed to new votes

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34038771/colorado-avalanche-center-nazem-kadri-leaves-game-3-injury-first-period-hit-behind

Colorado Avalanche center Nazem Kadri left Game 3 of the Western Conference finals with an injury after a hit from behind by Edmonton Oilers forward Evander Kane on Saturday night.

Avalanche coach Jared Bednar said Kadri will be out for the series, "if not longer." Colorado defeated the Oilers 4-2 to take a 3-0 series lead.

Under NHL rules, Kane could have been assessed a match penalty if there deliberate intent to injure on the play, or he could have been assessed a game-misconduct penalty if the foul resulted in an injury "to the face or head of an opponent." The on-ice officials felt Kane's actions didn't rise to either standard.

If the incident rises to the level of supplemental discipline from the NHL Department of Player Safety, Kane's last infraction was a $5,000 fine for kneeing Sean Durzi of the Los Angeles Kings. He was last suspended in February 2020, getting three games for elbowing Winnipeg Jets defenseman Neal Pionk.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34038771/colorado-avalanche-center-nazem-kadri-leaves-game-3-injury-first-period-hit-behind

Colorado Avalanche center Nazem Kadri left Game 3 of the Western Conference finals with an injury after a hit from behind by Edmonton Oilers forward Evander Kane on Saturday night.

Avalanche coach Jared Bednar said Kadri will be out for the series, "if not longer." Colorado defeated the Oilers 4-2 to take a 3-0 series lead.

Under NHL rules, Kane could have been assessed a match penalty if there deliberate intent to injure on the play, or he could have been assessed a game-misconduct penalty if the foul resulted in an injury "to the face or head of an opponent." The on-ice officials felt Kane's actions didn't rise to either standard.

If the incident rises to the level of supplemental discipline from the NHL Department of Player Safety, Kane's last infraction was a $5,000 fine for kneeing Sean Durzi of the Los Angeles Kings. He was last suspended in February 2020, getting three games for elbowing Winnipeg Jets defenseman Neal Pionk.

Pretty dangerous play. Of course I could see Kadri doing the exact same thing, but that doesn't excuse Kane. This isn't knocking out Matt Cooke. 

Completely unnecessary. Kane easily athletic enough to bring them both into the boards. Kadri knew he would be hit, braces himself, then Kane follows through with that two handed crosscheck. Kane can't say he couldn't have avoided that and easily have tied Kadri up and freed the puck. 

Edited by Icechipper

I haven’t seen if the Dept of Player Safety is looking at the play for possible supplemental discipline.  

EDIT:  Kane will have a hearing today.  Why did it take so long to announce it?

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-evander-kane-hearing-colorado-avalanche-nazem-kadri-1.1808931

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

100% Evander Kane should get suspended. What he did is the most dangerous play in hockey and could have resulted in a serious head or neck injury.

I believe Kane should be suspended for the rest of the Colorado series as it at least that is what Kadri will miss. Is that what the Department of Player Safety will do, most likely not. They probably won't even give Kane a 1 game suspension. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The NHL should send a message: if you hit guy's numbers and shove him into the boards, expect a suspension. But the NHL Dept. of Player Safety? Who knows what they'll do. He's getting a hearing anyway.

I agree. Start suspending these guys. It’s been going on far to long. Needs to come with a huge penalty to deter these types of dangerous hits 

Edited by Jimtown guy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

100% Evander Kane should get suspended. What he did is the most dangerous play in hockey and could have resulted in a serious head or neck injury.

I believe Kane should be suspended for the rest of the Colorado series as it at least that is what Kadri will miss. Is that what the Department of Player Safety will do, most likely not. They probably won't even give Kane a 1 game suspension. 

Exactly, how can the league preach all year about player safety and then ignore it because it’s the playoffs. 

Until the league makes dirty, dangerous hits painful for the player and the team it will never stop. 

• Good Post 1

I no longer try to guess what the Player Safety commission, or the NHL for that matter, will do in these cases.
Just way too much inconsistencies in rulings and what is deemed and not deemed a suspension worthy offense.

Based on the actions, the result, AND Kane's past however, I do agree at least a game or two is warranted (might be the last game or two Edmonton plays this season from the looks of things)...even if a game misconduct wasn't handed out at the time of the play.

I am certainly no fan of Nazem Kadri's on-ice shenanigans either, but this cannot be condoned even against a player of his ilk.
I can EASILY see a scenario where the roles are reversed and Kadri hits Kane in the back and sends him dangerously into the boards....although I think Kadri's normal prey of choice is goaltenders :shifty: 

All joking aside, yea, I'd say at least a game or two for Kane, but like everyone has already pointed out...who the HELL knows what the league will do!

16 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Fair enough...though TWO games likely would have been more fitting given the player, history, and loss to the Avalanche this series.

Not that I am wishing it on them (in fact, I was rooting for The Oil), but if this suspension ends up being part of the reason Edmonton is swept, then the lack of judgement on Kane's part really will have cost his team in the worst way imaginable and would make that one game seem much larger than it is.
Of course, EDM could be swept even WITH Kane in there, but still...

That said, if the Oilers win G4, then build up some momentum and have Kane back for G5, good chance they could take that too.
And if they DO....well, then, Kane and the Oilers will make that single game suspension look like a small blip on the radar!

Colorado may have the last word, even if they drop G's 4 and 5 because all that means is EDM has to win two MORE after that!

The long term effect for the Avs of course, would be, should they finish off the Oilers, reach the Finals.......they won't have their 2C to help face down either NY or TB for the title....which could loom very, very large in who is favored for the Cup.

• Like 1

Here is the problem I have with this. The effect of the Avalanche losing Nazim Kadri for what will be the remainder of the playoffs is much more detrimental to the Avs than Evander Kane missing the 1 game he did for Edmonton. The loss of games just does not equal out at all and what Kadri did was absolutely nothing. 

I don't know exactly how to remedy this such as having the player lose as many games as the player who gets injury, but that wouldn't really work because players might hold out longer just to keep out the suspended player longer especially if the player who injured the other player is a teams top player. So I don't know what the answer is, but there does need to be consistency.

• Like 1