Grossman(n) not too bad I think

Guest Flyingswede

Couldnt say I was over exited when we got him but for what we gave away I think he have been as good as I expected from him. Actually I think he have suprised me and being better than that. He gets the job done in our zone. Been a plus -/+ player and just plain solid.

Couldnt say I was over exited when we got him but for what we gave away I think he have been as good as I expected from him. Actually I think he have suprised me and being better than that. He gets the job done in our zone. Been a plus -/+ player and just plain solid.

You're just saying so because he's Swedish even though I don't think his last name is Swedish...or is it?

If I had to choose between keeping him and Kubina, I'd take Grossman in a second. He's off to a good start.

If I had to choose between keeping him and Kubina, I'd take Grossman in a second. He's off to a good start.

one thing about kubina is he's a shot blocking machine and a right hand shot. i like both pickups. now didn't like the kubina trade at first but im changing my mind. especially if they let carle walk. kubina would come cheaper IMO

one thing about kubina is he's a shot blocking machine and a right hand shot. i like both pickups. now didn't like the kubina trade at first but im changing my mind. especially if they let carle walk. kubina would come cheaper IMO

I've noticed Grossman more but that's pretty unscientific. It's early.

Meanwhile, I would add that even with these two additions, the Flyers would miss Carle a lot. He's underrated defensively and he's great at lugging the puck, making the good outlet and in general, getting things reliably started the other way. The only other player on the team with anything like his ability in this regard is Timonen and he's probably better with the puck than Timonen from his own goal line to the opponent''s blue line.

Edited by terp

You're just saying so because he's Swedish even though I don't think his last name is Swedish...or is it?

Well its enought with gustafsson really. I want us to have atleast one swede in flyers or else there is no media coverage here in sweden. Honestly, i care for the flyers, what nationality our players have i couldnt care less about

Well its enought with gustafsson really. I want us to have atleast one swede in flyers or else there is no media coverage here in sweden. Honestly, i care for the flyers, what nationality our players have i couldnt care less about

Don Cherry you are not.

Grossman played his best for Flyers so far. He was affective in pushing Caps players to the boards, keep them so and then separating from the puck. Yes he is slow a little bit, but he looks well against very speedy team like Caps. Of course you could see, team was missing Timmo for all three periods.

Kubina made a difference in blocking shot, even poor Bryz admitted it. I think we had missing this since Pronger is gone.

@Flyingswede - I like him. A Swedish D-man with lots of NHL experience who is huge. He had a couple of good hits on Caps players yesterday.

You can criticize Homer for trading picks away, but with Timonen and Meszaros now out for who knows how long , Homer once again looks like the smart one. You can never have too many experienced D-men at this time of year.

I think the trading of picks is a little overblown, especially with the Flyers being such a young, deep team. They don't really need a ton of draft picks right now because whoever they draft is going to be blocked from the NHL anyway. If they were an older team with lots of veterans it would be a different story. Another point is Homer has done a great job targeting unsigned free agent players to make up for the lack of picks that have panned out.

@PhilsFanDrew

"I think the trading of picks is a little overblown, especially with the Flyers being such a young, deep team. They don't really need a ton of draft picks right now because whoever they draft is going to be blocked from the NHL anyway."

Yes and no. This years draft is very deep for defencemen- especially in the first round. And that is a need we obviously have, both in the immediate term and the longer term. Now if Grossman and / or Kubina sign, that will lesson the burden. Thus why I said if we are able to sign them, then the sting of the picks is removed and if we don't, it is a waste- especially with so many d-men available.

Many people are saying this years draft may be the deepest since 2003 (which featured Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Staal, Nathan Horton, Nikolay Zherdev, Thomas Vanek, Milan Michalek, Ryan Suter, Braydon Coburn, Dion Phaneuf and Andrei Kostitsyn as the top 10 choices. The Philadelphia Flyers grabbed Jeff Carter (No. 11) and Michael Richards (No. 24), while Anaheim tabbed Ryan Getzlaf (No. 19) and Corey Perry (No. 28). New Jersey drafted Zach Parise with the No. 17 pick; Vancouver took Ryan Kesler at No. 23.

Five of the players taken in that first round captain their teams -- Staal (Carolina), Phaneuf (Toronto), Dustin Brown (No. 13, Los Angeles), Getzlaf and Richards.))

Considering the number of number twos we had, we could have tried to trade up for another number 1. Sans Carter / Richards, you tell me that you would not like to have not one, but TWO players of the caliber listed above on your team (particularly if it is d-men and / or goalie?).

Considering the number of number twos we had, we could have tried to trade up for another number 1. Sans Carter / Richards, you tell me that you would not like to have not one, but TWO players of the caliber listed above on your team (particularly if it is d-men and / or goalie?).

Flyers had one 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft at the start of this season - LA's. They traded their 2nd round pick this year to TB in the Meszaros trade. Florida's pick was either this year's or next year's, Florida's choice. Given the depth of this draft, it's highly likely that Florida will choose to send their 2013 2nd rounder to TB to complete the trade.

I do think they overpaid for him, however I did feel we needed size and muscle in front of the net which he provides.

He could be useful if we do go deep into the playoffs

@AJgoal-

Good point on the Florida pick. I thought (depending on the Florida 2nd), we had minimum 2 2nd rounders and the possible third with Florida:

1- Our own second round

2- LA's second round

3- FL second (2012 or 2013)

Even if it is Floridas 2013, it still has value. If I am a team that is not picking in the top 20, I would be very tempted to take those 3 #2's in exchange for my #1 (maybe a Phoenix or New Jersey devils).

That said, there are 11 defencemen (7 in the first 11 picks) and 2 goalies slated for the 1st round and 12 defencemen and 2 goalies slated for the second round (depending which report you read).

So, out of the top 60 picks: 23 defencemen and 4 goalies.

@Flyingswede - I like him. A Swedish D-man with lots of NHL experience who is huge. He had a couple of good hits on Caps players yesterday.

You can criticize Homer for trading picks away, but with Timonen and Meszaros now out for who knows how long , Homer once again looks like the smart one. You can never have too many experienced D-men at this time of year.

I agree. I think fans here have asking for size on the D for a long time now and when we get one then "he is slow" that doesnt make sense. Big defensemen are usually slower than smaller. And if you look at timmo Grossman will look slow compared to him ofcourse. Since big Swedish defensemen rarely doesnt excists (lol) im a little bit proud. The swedish defense school is all about pokechecking and skating well usually, but Grossman is not.