Bruins fire Cassidy after 6 seasons

3 Palmateers

Amazing the number of great HCs out of work right now. Good time to fire and hire that's for sure. 

Cassidy gets his team to a Cup a couple of years ago and is out. 

Toronto can't win a series to save their lives and there are great coaches to be had but we'll stick with the one who has lost 3-straight 1st playoff series with two against inferior teams, and maybe all 3 if you count finishing ahead of Tampa in regular season.

Admire a team that doesn't accept not winning it all. Sadly, I'm stuck as a fan of one that accepts not winning a round. 

I wonder how quickly Cassidy finds a new home with Trotz, Torts, etc. out there waiting for a new gig?

Obviously I don't know the behind the scenes stuff, but this firing seems sorta....unfair to me.

I thought the Bruins had a pretty good season, even though being bounced in the first round was disappointing, when you consider some had the Bruins missing the playoffs entirely, I'd say Cassidy did well with the boys in Boston.
And he did it in a very tough Atlantic Division that featured the eventual President's trophy winning Florida team, a high powered Toronto team, the two time defending Stanley Cup Champions, AND even the bottom half teams, Detroit, Buffalo, and Ottawa were far from pushovers, compared to other divisions' bottom teams.

I thought the B's defense as a solid two way unit wasn't bad and getting better under the apparent leadership of Charlie McAvoy who seems to have picked up the baton where Chara left off on it.
Their one big weakness was still that they were basically a one scoring line team.

The front office may have dropped the ball not trading malcontent (but still talented) Jake DeBrusk....and they didn't really do anything to add to a second line that was mostly lackluster unless the big line was split up to help bolster it.

Boston's bottom six left much to be desired.
Goaltending ranged from ok to good most nights.

Again, maybe some other things going on us fans aren't aware of, but I think Bruce Cassidy got the most of what he could with what he had on the roster and from where I sit, seems it was more on the front office to provide Cassidy with more and better tools.

Then again, after 6 seasons...maybe the organization felt a different voice was needed?
Meh...still sounds like political speak for "scapegoat".

Look at me...defending a BRUINS head coach!
This after praising Patrice Bergeron on his win of the Selke.

I need to have my head examined. :ph34r: 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Obviously I don't know the behind the scenes stuff, but this firing seems sorta....unfair to me.

I thought the Bruins had a pretty good season, even though being bounced in the first round was disappointing, when you consider some had the Bruins missing the playoffs entirely, I'd say Cassidy did well with the boys in Boston.
And he did it in a very tough Atlantic Division that featured the eventual President's trophy winning Florida team, a high powered Toronto team, the two time defending Stanley Cup Champions, AND even the bottom half teams, Detroit, Buffalo, and Ottawa were far from pushovers, compared to other divisions' bottom teams.

I thought the B's defense as a solid two way unit wasn't bad and getting better under the apparent leadership of Charlie McAvoy who seems to have picked up the baton where Chara left off on it.
Their one big weakness was still that they were basically a one scoring line team.

The front office may have dropped the ball not trading malcontent (but still talented) Jake DeBrusk....and they didn't really do anything to add to a second line that was mostly lackluster unless the big line was split up to help bolster it.

Boston's bottom six left much to be desired.
Goaltending ranged from ok to good most nights.

Again, maybe some other things going on us fans aren't aware of, but I think Bruce Cassidy got the most of what he could with what he had on the roster and from where I sit, seems it was more on the front office to provide Cassidy with more and better tools.

Then again, after 6 seasons...maybe the organization felt a different voice was needed?
Meh...still sounds like political speak for "scapegoat".

Look at me...defending a BRUINS head coach!
This after praising Patrice Bergeron on his win of the Selke.

I need to have my head examined. :ph34r: 

You are wise to bring up what we don't know as being the reason for being let go. 

He could have personal issues (sexual, drug, etc.). May have gotten into with a star player and org is siding with the player. 

One of the things that is unfair with him is Rask is now gone. Give Cooper Swayman and Ullmark and let's see if his team is even in the conference finals. I'll bet they don't get past Toronto. Not Bruce's fault Rask retired, unretired, and wasn't close to what he used to be. Goalies hide a lot of warts. 

Also, Sweeney may have his sights set on one of the guys out there like Trotz or Torts or whomever. 

Personally, I thought Cassidy was a tough SOB. The kind of guy you need to navigate through an arduous Atlantic and he fit the profile of the image of the city. 

If Boston goes out and hires a relative unknown, this will be one baffling decision minus some personal issues we aren't privy to. 

Half their stars will be injured at the start of the next season. It was going to be a tough row to hoe for anyone. Maybe, Sweeney knew next season was likely a wash and felt this was the time as voices no matter how smart and strong do fade with players over time. 

What an offseason ahead for Bruins fans and curious onlookers. 

Most bruins fans are 50/50 on keeping him....

Personally, I'm a fan....never missed the playoffs and always got the most out of what he had to work with which was not much.

I 100% blames the front office for failing to build a deeper roster instead of a one line team with little scoring depth. Not to mention this year alone the team was depleted with injuries and still made the post season, and the guy that gets them there is gone....sad.

If my faith is restored, Trotz with be on his way.

• Like 1

The Boston Bruins have fired head coach Bruce Cassidy, general manager Don Sweeney said Monday.

Cassidy had held the position since February 2017, taking over when the Bruins let go of Claude Julien. The 57-year-old Cassidy was behind Boston's bench for 399 games, and he leaves with a record 245-108-46.

The Bruins made the playoffs in each of Cassidy's six seasons, including a Stanley Cup Final appearance in 2019. Boston was eliminated in the first round of the 2022 postseason by the Carolina Hurricanes, a seven-game series that ended May 14.

Boston's search for a new head coach will begin immediately.

"Today I informed Bruce Cassidy that I was making a change," Sweeney said in a statement. "After 14 years working with Bruce, this was an extremely difficult decision. I want to thank and acknowledge Bruce for all his work and success with the Bruins organization. His record for the Bruins is impressive, and we are appreciative of Bruce both professionally and personally.

"After taking some time to fully digest everything, I felt that the direction of our team for both this season and beyond would benefit from a new voice."

Bruins president Cam Neely said in a statement he has the "utmost confidence" in Sweeney to now "identify the best candidate that is going to help our team reach its full potential."

Cassidy's exit adds to an already uncertain offseason for the Bruins.

Top-pairing defenseman Charlie McAvoy underwent a left shoulder arthroscopic stabilization procedure in Boston last week, and he is expected to miss about six months. Matt Grzelcyk underwent a right shoulder open-stabilization procedure, and he is expected to be out five months.

Also last month, the Bruins revealed that Brad Marchand will miss the beginning of the 2022-23 season following hip surgery.

Captain Patrice Bergeron, who just won a record fifth Selke Trophy as the NHL's top defensive forward, is an unrestricted free agent and is mulling retirement at age 36.

The above article makes it even worse for me...

Cassidy's first stint as Caps coach did not go that well, but he learned, and was undeniably better in boston, the numbers don't lie.

All with a one line team, and marginal depth players...of course having Tuukka hepled, but it's all good.

IMO, the wrong guy was let go.

Bruins GM explains Cassidy firing result of team needing new voice

The absences of Matt Grzelcyk, Brad Marchand, Charlie McAvoy, and Mike Reilly, plus the possibility of Patrice Bergeron retiring could lead general manager Don Sweeney to make “a directional shift” for the Boston Bruins.

Speaking Tuesday morning, one day after firing head coach Bruce Cassidy, Sweeney explained that he felt a new voice was needed behind the bench.

“I felt both the message and how it was being delivered, and more importantly maybe how it was being received, young and old — players felt they were very well prepared, but young and old, at times, they struggled,” Sweeney said. “Sometimes that’s the voice in their head.”

Cassidy took over as Bruins head coach on Feb. 7, 2017. Over six seasons, they went 245-108-46 under Cassidy (.672 points percentage), making the playoffs all six seasons. The 57-year-old won the 2020 Jack Adams Award. Back in 2018-19, he led the team to within a win of a Stanley Cup, falling to the St. Louis Blues in a Game 7.

“It’s not a comfortable position to be in when you’ve got a popular coach both publicly and with the amount of success he’s had, it’s going to be an unpopular decision, it’s not going to resonate,” said Sweeney. “It didn’t sit well with me, very difficult decision as I referenced both personally and professionally.”

Between the injuries that will affect the lineup early next season and the lack of available salary cap space, the Bruins will give younger players an opportunity to earn role on the roster. That means don’t expect much from Sweeney in free agency — the players returning from injury will be their big “additions” for 2022-23.

“Bringing back a similar type of roster, [Bergeron’s] a big part of that. I still have to wait for that decision, I don’t have any clarity on that as I stand here today” said Sweeney. “We are going to take shift, not unlike in 2015 when we introduced younger players. We have to continue to do a good job at that when they’re ready.”

A slow start next season could put the focus on Sweeney’s job and the decision that led to firing a successful coach. But the GM is confident this is the right move for where his team is heading and is not thinking about being on the hot start.

“It may fall that way. Today is not that day,” Sweeney said. “We have a good team. Do we have to pivot because of injuries? That may come.

“As it stands now, I have the support of the people I work with and work for and I’m grateful for that. To be held to that standard to inspire to be the best in the class, that is the standard you want to be held to.”

Edited by Brewin Flames

Meh, if it did not sit well with him, they why do it...

Cassidy had an amazing win percentage during his time here, and the player reaction so far has not been positive.

Bergy and Pasta both seem to be irked, and that is not a good thing.

And injuries are going to kill the bruins at the start of next year, and he will blame it on that, when they come out slow.

1. Details on B's Cassidy Firing

Ex-Bruins HC says he was told his job was safe two weeks ago and that he's already spoken with 'a number' of other teams

Conor Ryan@ConorRyan_93

Bruce Cassidy said that he has already talked to a number of teams in terms of coaching next season. "I want to get back to work."

So, after hearing GM Don Sweeney's post firing presser, when he said "it did not sit well with me", esp after telling Cassidy that he had a job going into next seasom, that leads me to think that this firing came from above, meaning The Jacobs family....either Sweeney goes, or the coach goes.

• Like 1

O

image.png

If Bruce Cassidy wants another coaching job immediately, he probably won’t have much trouble getting one.

In fact, one NHL team is reportedly already planning to talk to Cassidy, less than 72 hours after the Bruins fired him following five-plus seasons in Boston.

According to Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli, the Philadelphia Flyers are “likely to turn their sights toward” Cassidy as they look to fill their coaching vacancy.

The Flyers fired Alain Vigneault in December and finished out their disappointing season with Mike Yeo as interim coach.

Seravalli reports that the Flyers have already interviewed John Tortorella, David Quinn and Jeff Blashill, with at least Tortorella expected to get a second interview.

Other coaching vacancies around the NHL include the Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Vegas Golden Knights and Winnipeg Jets. The Edmonton Oilers and Florida Panthers both finished the season with interim coaches; it’s currently unclear if they’ll stick with Jay Woodcroft and Andrew Brunette, respectively.

It wouldn't be surprising if a few more -- maybe even most of them -- reach out to Cassidy soon.

BOSTON -- While Bruce Cassidy has already found a new home in Las Vegas, the Boston Bruins are set to interview a handful of potential replacements in the near future. 

Don Sweeney will be a busy man in the coming weeks, as the Bruins have five head-coaching candidates scheduled for an interview, according to Joe McDonald of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette. Those candidates are Jim Montgomery, Jay Leach, Joe Sacco, Spencer Carbery, and David Quinn.

Montgomery won an NCAA title with Denver in 2017, and turned his successful five-year run as head coach of the Pioneers into a head coaching gig in the NHL with the Dallas Stars. He led Dallas to a 43-32-7 record and a playoff berth in his first season on the bench in 2018-19, but the Stars fell to the St. Louis Blues (the eventual Stanley Cup champs) in the second round of the playoffs.

The Stars started the 2019-20 season a promising 17-11-3, but Montgomery was fired in early December for "unprofessional conduct." He later revealed that he was dealing with alcohol abuse and had checked himself into rehab.

The 52-year-old Montgomery, who played college hockey at Maine, returned to the NHL in September 2020 as an assistant coach for the St. Louis Blues.

Leach, 42, was an assistant coach for the Seattle Kraken last season following a five-year career with the Providence Bruins. Leach was head coach of the P-Bruins for four seasons and compiled a 136-77-26 record, leading the team to the best record in the AHL Eastern Conference in 2019-20 before the season was canceled due to COVID.

Sacco, 53, has been on the Boston coaching staff since 2014. The BU alum and Medford native spent four years as head coach of the Colorado Avalanche from 2009-2013, where he racked up a 130-134-30 record and one playoff berth.

Carbery, 40, has been an assistant coach with the Toronto Maple Leafs since 2021.That came after a 10-year coaching run in the ECHL and OHL, plus a year on the Providence Bruins coaching staff in 2017. He was named head coach of the Hersey Bears of the AHL in 2018, a position that he held until joining the Toronto staff.

Quinn, 55, is a Boston University alum and spent time on Jack Parker's staff before taking over for the Hall of Fame coach in 2013. He spent five years on the BU bench and led the Terriers to a NCAA championship game, before being hired as head coach of the New York Rangers in 2018. Quinn spent three years on the Rangers bench, going 96-87-25 with one playoff berth, before being fired in 2021.

image.png

1 hour ago, Brewin Flames said:

They all suck....

To add to that the longer this goes on the shorter the suck list gets. I imagine with it looking like Torts is being hired by the Flyers and Trotz could be off to Winnipeg that leaves just a few spots left for these guys. That leaves Dallas and Detroit along with the Interim Head Coaches including Chicago,  Edmonton and Florida. I don't see for sure that Chicago and Edmonton's coach is coming back and the Florida Panthers are dragging their a##es on Brunette for some odd reason that doesn't make much sense to me. Since they have not named him the head coach yet, I am thinking they are looking elsewhere. So I guess what I am saying is the Bruins better get on the ball and hire what is the best to be available soon or it is really going to look bleak. 

• 11 months later...

It's

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's the optics....

I was and is a Cassidy guy, but i understood the reason he had to go.

Poor coach was mean to younger players and the did not like the fact he held them responsible and called them out when needed be. Guys like D.K and Bergy may not have come back if he was still behind the bench, while Debrusk was the biggest whiner that got him the axe.

If i was Cassidy, i'd drink New England Clam Chowder from the cup while getting a "Free" lap dance from a Vegas Stripper" then put that picture on a thank you card and mail it to the Bruins, captioned "Thank You".

• Haha 1