Sabres need goalie bad. What will they do? What will other teams do? And Hockey Guy

Buffalo Rick

Hockey Guy just posted his run down of the goalies in the NHL, and the upcoming merry go round that is likely to happen.  He certainly does not have all the answers.  He does say Tampa currently has the bets goalie.  Maybe.   Top 5 for sure. But I am hoping the Sabres are able to go after a guy like Peterson or Binnington.  The Kings and Blues have big decisions to make.  Do they stick with Quick in LA?  Likely.  So Peterson may be available.  The Blues seem to be higher on Husso than Binnington.  Boy, not sure that is a wise choice.  But I cant see them both staying.  Oh, wow, Hockey guy just gave his 3 teams he cheers for. Boston (just like the Raccoon whisperer in Nova Scotia),, Dallas (no idea why) and Vancouver, which makes perfect sense as that is where he lives, they are the home team.  Just stick with your Canucks Hockey Guy.  If you are reading this forum which I think you do once in a while. So where do the goalies come and go?  Do my Sabres stick with Luukenen?  He is an UFA.  I say let him go.  Go after Binnington.  But do not get burned like we did trading O'Reilly.  There will be goalies available due to the cap and having two quality starters in one city is not easy to stand by.  

Oh boy, Hockey Guy just put on a Flyers jersey.  Talking about Lindros.  Why he said he would never play for Quebec.  Back to Hockey Guy for minute, how the hell does he cheer for Boston AND Vancouver?  Remember that game 7 when they tore the city down?  Its like me cheering for the Stars. NO WAY JOSE.  I liked the old North Stars, but I hate the city of Dallas.  Place where JFK was killed.  It just plain SUCKS.  The goalie shuffle will happen.  Just not in places like Tampa.  I wonder who my Sabres will have in goal.  It might cost, but if we want to win, we need a guy that is decent.   Ill close because the longer the post, the less likely anyone will read it.  When they see my name attached to the title, well that also makes it less likely to be read.  

I gotta admit, @Hockey Junkie, pretty entertaining post!
Some better spacing in your paragraphs, and the readability jumps up tenfold. Just some advice from someone who is The Resident Wall of Texter around here!

Onto goalies...
Top three UFA goalies out there would probably be Darcy Kuemper (COL), Casey DeSmith (PIT), and Jack Campbell (TOR). If anyone believes Brayden Holtby (DAL) has anything left, maybe he can be a 4th option.

Top three RFA goalies that Buffalo can perhaps trade for the rights to are Ville Husso (StL), Vitek Vanacek (WSH), and Kaapo Kahkonen (SJS). A couple other options of guys who had down years but could possibly rebound are Ilya Samsonov (WSH) and Alexander Georgiev (NYR).

Then of course, you have some other goalies under contract whom the Sabres could go for, but, IMO, I think the continued grooming of UP Luukkonen should happen, and if a UFA goalie is picked up, it should be someone who understands their role in helping to balance the workload for Luukko while he ramps up to speed.
If an RFA is traded for, then it should be someone who can push Luukko for the starter's job.....worse thing Buffalo could do right now is just hand over the net to Luukko, then have him get complacent feeling the job is his no matter what.
Not saying he would, but healthy competition is always good.

Really all depends on where the Sabres feel they are on the development and competitive scale.
One thing is for sure: they CANNOT continue on with the likes of Dell, Tokarski, or Subban. And Craig Anderson, the old warrior goalie that he is, is simply too far past his prime.

Some of those UFA goalies may not want to come to Buffalo though, because they may not want to be part of a continuing rebuild, while some might relish the thought of being the foundation of something great the Sabres are building.

Personally, I like Jack Campbell best of the UFA options, though I'd be wary of his asking price at 30 years old.
Ya don't wanna pay him Vasilevskiy or Price money obviously, but he does deserve a nice raise from his 1.6M cap hit in Toronto. Something in the neighborhood of 3-4M perhaps for no longer than 3 seasons maybe? If Luukko is for real, he should be more than ready before then or right about that time.

From the RFA options, if San Jose is willing to trade his rights (and the Sabres don't gut their youth to get him), I like Kahkonen, who I feel could get better with more playing time. Granted, I still like Luukko better for Buffalo, but Kahkonen may be able to provide just enough competition to sharpen Luukko further.

Same with a guy like Vanacek or Georgiev...two goalies who showed flashes of NHL brilliance, but for one reason or the other faltered last season. Maybe a fresh start on a building team in competition with a good goalie like Luukko could be just the thing to spark them again.

I know you like Binnington, but he is a 'win now' type goalie if he were to be acquired and while I like the trajectory Buffalo has taken, they simply are not in the 'win now' bracket. 
On top of that, Binny also seems to have some sort of anger management/attitude issues where it seems his mind gets taken off the game of hockey into other silly things like getting into shouting matches with players on the ice, officials too, and his latest event, The Water Bottle Hurl....

Buffalo doesn't need shenanigans in that locker room and doesn't need the wrong kinds of press...and like I said already, Binny isn't the type of goalie, at this stage in his career, you get for a team still building.

Then there is a final option for Buffalo:
They could trade for Andrei Vasilevskiy, who will be more than happy to be the center piece of a building Buffalo powerhouse......and you can enjoy that while you scratch off your winning NY State lotto ticket you found on your way home! :ph34r:

Sorry...couldn't help that last part.... "Evil TFG" just couldn't resist :bigteeth: 

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I gotta admit, @Hockey Junkie, pretty entertaining post!
Some better spacing in your paragraphs, and the readability jumps up tenfold. Just some advice from someone who is The Resident Wall of Texter around here!

Onto goalies...
Top three UFA goalies out there would probably be Darcy Kuemper (COL), Casey DeSmith (PIT), and Jack Campbell (TOR). If anyone believes Brayden Holtby (DAL) has anything left, maybe he can be a 4th option.

Top three RFA goalies that Buffalo can perhaps trade for the rights to are Ville Husso (StL), Vitek Vanacek (WSH), and Kaapo Kahkonen (SJS). A couple other options of guys who had down years but could possibly rebound are Ilya Samsonov (WSH) and Alexander Georgiev (NYR).

Then of course, you have some other goalies under contract whom the Sabres could go for, but, IMO, I think the continued grooming of UP Luukkonen should happen, and if a UFA goalie is picked up, it should be someone who understands their role in helping to balance the workload for Luukko while he ramps up to speed.
If an RFA is traded for, then it should be someone who can push Luukko for the starter's job.....worse thing Buffalo could do right now is just hand over the net to Luukko, then have him get complacent feeling the job is his no matter what.
Not saying he would, but healthy competition is always good.

Really all depends on where the Sabres feel they are on the development and competitive scale.
One thing is for sure: they CANNOT continue on with the likes of Dell, Tokarski, or Subban. And Craig Anderson, the old warrior goalie that he is, is simply too far past his prime.

Some of those UFA goalies may not want to come to Buffalo though, because they may not want to be part of a continuing rebuild, while some might relish the thought of being the foundation of something great the Sabres are building.

Personally, I like Jack Campbell best of the UFA options, though I'd be wary of his asking price at 30 years old.
Ya don't wanna pay him Vasilevskiy or Price money obviously, but he does deserve a nice raise from his 1.6M cap hit in Toronto. Something in the neighborhood of 3-4M perhaps for no longer than 3 seasons maybe? If Luukko is for real, he should be more than ready before then or right about that time.

From the RFA options, if San Jose is willing to trade his rights (and the Sabres don't gut their youth to get him), I like Kahkonen, who I feel could get better with more playing time. Granted, I still like Luukko better for Buffalo, but Kahkonen may be able to provide just enough competition to sharpen Luukko further.

Same with a guy like Vanacek or Georgiev...two goalies who showed flashes of NHL brilliance, but for one reason or the other faltered last season. Maybe a fresh start on a building team in competition with a good goalie like Luukko could be just the thing to spark them again.

I know you like Binnington, but he is a 'win now' type goalie if he were to be acquired and while I like the trajectory Buffalo has taken, they simply are not in the 'win now' bracket. 
On top of that, Binny also seems to have some sort of anger management/attitude issues where it seems his mind gets taken off the game of hockey into other silly things like getting into shouting matches with players on the ice, officials too, and his latest event, The Water Bottle Hurl....

Buffalo doesn't need shenanigans in that locker room and doesn't need the wrong kinds of press...and like I said already, Binny isn't the type of goalie, at this stage in his career, you get for a team still building.

Then there is a final option for Buffalo:
They could trade for Andrei Vasilevskiy, who will be more than happy to be the center piece of a building Buffalo powerhouse......and you can enjoy that while you scratch off your winning NY State lotto ticket you found on your way home! :ph34r:

Sorry...couldn't help that last part.... "Evil TFG" just couldn't resist :bigteeth: 

As for the writing, mainly laziness and bad key pad on this cell.  I never received less than an A in English and writing.  I am in if the Sabres go for either Peterson or Binnington.  The Blues are more likely to pay Hossa.  And the Kings Quick.  Luukenen is UFA so decision time.  I let him go.  Get a proven net minder.  We have two number one picks on the blue line in Dahlin and Powers in front of whomever it is.

I don’t have to tell you what a huge game is about to start so we can talk about this later.  Adams had better do us right!  

• 3 weeks later...

@Hockey Junkie

Here ya go, bud.
From capfriendly: Craig Anderson Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Looks like old man Anderson is back in the fold for you guys. Only a one year deal, and at just 1.5M for the season for the 41 yr old.
What does this mean for the rest of the goalie slots? 
He certainly can't be the starter.....is Luukko going to be given the net outright, with Anderson serving as the relief backup?

Sabres may still need a THIRD guy though, as Anderson is injury prone.

What do you think?
Do you care for Anderson who still looks like he has some game left, to be on the team?
Not sure how Buffalo navigates the eventual injury situations with him though.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@Hockey Junkie

Here ya go, bud.
From capfriendly: Craig Anderson Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Looks like old man Anderson is back in the fold for you guys. Only a one year deal, and at just 1.5M for the season for the 41 yr old.
What does this mean for the rest of the goalie slots? 
He certainly can't be the starter.....is Luukko going to be given the net outright, with Anderson serving as the relief backup?

Sabres may still need a THIRD guy though, as Anderson is injury prone.

What do you think?
Do you care for Anderson who still looks like he has some game left, to be on the team?
Not sure how Buffalo navigates the eventual injury situations with him though.

I think he flushed a million bucks down the toilet.  They best get someone.  I think this says Luukenen is in the plans and I’d at least split duties unless one stands out.  But no way can he be finished when FA is coming.  Maybe they wanted to secure him as a backup?  But this move means less likely we get a big name like Husso.  I won’t be attending any games if he does nothing

Edited by Hockey Junkie

On 6/9/2022 at 11:52 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

Blues seem to be higher on Husso than Binnington.

This might be one of your best young options with Binnington being on the books for 5 years at 6 mill per season.

They only have 9+ mill in cap space. Husso is only 27 so plenty of gas left in the tank.

On 6/9/2022 at 8:01 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

The Blues are more likely to pay Hossa.

His asking price should be reasonable because he doesn't have an extensive career.

Peterson is under contract for the next 3 years at 5 mill per so what are you giving up to pry him away because now they too would have to go shopping for a goalie.

I guess Anderson will be a backup this coming season so they for sure need a stud in goal. But who do you target??

Hopefully they don't cheap out with a Martin Jones type guy available. You have plenty of cap space.