From The Athletic - Flyers Poll/Survey (Part 4) - Biggest Needs / Moving Forward / Biggest weakness

pilldoc

The Athletic Flyers Poll/Survey  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Entering the offseason, what do you see as the Flyers biggest positional need?

• Top 6 Center
    • Top 6 Winger
    • Top 4 Defenseman
    • Starting Goalie
    • Back Up Goalie
  2. 2. What path, do you think, SHOULD the front office take right now in terms of overarching philosophy

• Gut the roster and try to tank in 2022
    • The "aggressive retool" (basically 2021 offseason 2.0)
    • Stand pat mostly, turn roster over to youth and see what happens (the 2020 offseason 2.0)
    • The "moderate retool" (the 2019 offseason 2.0)
    • other
  3. 3. What path, do you think, WILL the front office take right now in terms of overarching philosophy

• Gut the roster and try to tank in 2022
    • The "aggressive retool" (basically 2021 offseason 2.0)
    • Stand pat mostly, turn roster over to youth and see what happens (the 2020 offseason 2.0)
    • The "moderate retool" (the 2019 offseason 2.0)
    • other
  4. 4. What do you view as the Flyers BIGGEST Organizational WEAKENESS right now

• Player development
    • Drafting
    • Front office transactions (trades, signings, etc..)
    • Too old school (too much importance placed upon adhering to "Flyers Culture") / retaining the good ol boys club
    • Too new school (too little importance placed upon being true to "Flyers Culture")
    • some of the above - be specific
    • other

The Athletic has a poll/survey running on the State of the Union for the Flyers.  I will be posting some of their questions. 

They listed a lot of questions.  Here is Part 4.

Comment below for these 4 questions only

I think the team needs a centerman who can skate.

Couturier is fine as a top 6 but there isn't a defenseman in the league that doesn't step into him at the blue line off the rush.

I'd like a guy that can go wide and turn the corner in the Flyers top 6.

I won't mind if little happens in the trade and free agent market this year. I think next year a bad contract expires, some more data is gathered about players with questions, maybe JvR recoups a 2nd rd pick at the deadline if he's scoring at his pace. I also think there are more potential high skill F/A s hitting the market. Not just John Hockey and 'stache Forsberg

I don't think that happens though, I think we see a hockey trade and a JvR dump. A high priced FA is signed, in a 2019 style roster tweak redux.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think the team needs a centerman who can skate.

Couturier is fine as a top 6 but there isn't a defenseman in the league that doesn't step into him at the blue line off the rush.

I'd like a guy that can go wide and turn the corner in the Flyers top 6.

I won't mind if little happens in the trade and free agent market this year. I think next year a bad contract expires, some more data is gathered about players with questions, maybe JvR recoups a 2nd rd pick at the deadline if he's scoring at his pace. I also think there are more potential high skill F/A s hitting the market. Not just John Hockey and 'stache Forsberg

I don't think that happens though, I think we see a hockey trade and a JvR dump. A high priced FA is signed, in a 2019 style roster tweak redux.

Can't argue with what you posted.  IMHO, I believe the Flyers need a sniper type scoring winger.  I don't see one on the roster with that mentality.  Brink maybe????  I would have no issue with the Flyers drafting a player like Savoie.  (yes I know he is smaller) but he has shown he has the good to be a player willing to fire the puck.

I think Farabee "could" develop into a top-6 Centerman.

I chose stand pat this year and let the kids play.  A total tank job does not necessarily guarantee you Bedard.  Lets see what the Flyers have in some of their younger players.  Let the chips fall where they fall.  Yeah, it might mean another tough season, but you have to start somewhere.

Sadly, I see the Flyers doing an "aggressive retool".  They want to have their cake and eat it too ..... I'm not buying it.  Rather, rinse, repeat.

Outside of placing too much emphasis on Flyers old school culture, they truly have not developed a system on how to develop the younger players in the system.  I have said this for years.  They constantly want to place a square peg in a circle.  It does not work that way.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I would have no issue with the Flyers drafting a player like Savoie.  (yes I know he is smaller) but he has shown he has the good to be a player willing to fire the puck

At some point, a bunch of smaller players will equal a full squad of little guys

Not sure that will work

19 hours ago, CoachX said:

At some point, a bunch of smaller players will equal a full squad of little guys

Not sure that will work

Since we already have two big slow centers in Coots and Hayes who are really #2 and #3 centers, it would be smart to draft a speedy and creative potential first line center like Savoie . The other centers in our system Frost and O' Brien have solid speed and skill but I doubt if they have first line potential. Of course we could also use a top four righthand dman like Jiracek/ Nemec and a top line scoring left wing with size like Slavofsky. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Since we already have two big slow centers in Coots and Hayes who are really #2 and #3 centers

That Hayes signing is just the gift that keeps on giving...

Is there another team paying $14.89M for their #2 and #3 centers?

Asking for a franchise.

The Avalanche (Kadri/Compher) paid $8M. The Lightning (Cirelli/Paul) $6.15M.

18 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Of course we could also use...

With $5.1M in cap space, and - at best - another $3.5M from JVR (more likely $2.66M).

Really hard to imagine how they got into this position...

GIF by Bounce

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

You’re forgetting it’s not our money so we’re not supposed to care how much these guys make.

I'm remembering they stole a season and a half of hockey to force us to care...

6 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

You’re forgetting it’s not our money so we’re not supposed to care how much these guys make.

Yep, always got to love the "we can be stupid; we're the one(s) paying the bills" routine while Rome burns.  God, I love me a good fiddle.

3 hours ago, Poconono said:

Honestly I have lost all faith the Flyers will ever win a Cup in my remaining lifetime.  Like the organization itself, I'll have to simply bask in the glory of 6 decades ago.

I get it but, ya never know...hell, the Eagles won a Super Bowl

I'm ready to give the team a shot, with the new coach and see if the product on the ice improves.  We all have our guesses how things will turn out but, ya never know.  

Well, we do know that Fletch has to go 

and they need better players

and someone who can score

to hit on our draft pick - Savoie?   (see previous)

ugh, lol   they do need LOTS of help

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If you could part with ONLY ONE, would it be Hayes, JVR or chuck?

Chuck …. He has done the most damage in the shortest amount if time ….

JVR will be gone this time next year…..

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

If you could part with ONLY ONE, would it be Hayes, JVR or chuck?

Chuck. As mentioned, he's done the most damage (like signing Hayes). JVR is gone soon. And Tortsie will drive Hayes out of town

• Like 2

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Hayes

JVR is gone after this year and they can just fire Chuck :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Damn you, i didn't read through before i posted but that makes me want to go with just the way you said it.

Sign me up. And this first person i expect Torts to healthy scratch is JVR.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And this first person i expect Torts to healthy scratch is JVR.

wanna take bets on over/under on how many games into the new season before JVR gets to eat popcorn in the pressbox ???

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:
2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

wanna take bets on over/under on how many games into the new season before JVR gets to eat popcorn in the pressbox ???

Yes

I say Torts gives JVR within the first 10 games of season to get his crap together.  I say between game #10 - #20 he gets scratched .....

HA!  this should be a new poll! LOL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I say Torts gives JVR within the first 10 games of season to get his crap together.  I say between game #10 - #20 he gets scratched .....

From the effort JVR has put forth in his entire career, he'd probably enjoy being scratched. I don't even think he likes hockey.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I say before Thanksgiving. Not sure how many games that is.

I will have to find a schedule and count.