From The Athletic - Flyers Poll/Survey (Part 6) - Players

pilldoc

The Athletic Flyers Poll/Survey  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which under 25 player "currently" on the roster do you have the most faith could ultimately develop into a "Star-Level" player?

• Joel Farabee
    • Carter Hart
    • Cam York
    • Morgan Frost
    • Owen Tippett
    • Bobby Brink
    • Noah Cates
    • Ronnie Attard
  2. 2. Do you believe the Flyers should actively pursue Claude Giroux in free agency this summer? (why or why not discuss below)

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What should the Flyers do with James Van Riemsdyk (JVR) this offseason?

• Trade him (likely with a sweetener to clear cap space)
    • Buy him out and gain $2.66 million worth of cap room for 2022-23
    • Keep him
  4. 4. Should the Flyers trade Ivan Provorov this off season? (discuss why or why not below)

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Should t he Flyers trade Travis Sanhaim this summer? (discuss why or why not below)

• Yes
    • No

The Athletic has a poll/survey running on the State of the Union for the Flyers.  I will be posting some of their questions. 

They listed a lot of questions.  Here is Part 6.

Comment below for these 5 questions only

Edited by pilldoc

JVR has to. Whatever it takes. I could only choose one option, but I'd take any thay results in him being out. Then his named should be purged from Flyers history like he never existed

Giroux should be brought back and compensation worthy of his current play. This won't happen, I know. But if it did, it would show an unselfishness and dedication to the Flyers that would solidify him as one of my all time favs.  It's selfish, I know,  but so what

• Like 1

Hart and Farabee seem to be the 2 players right now that have that star level potential.  I went with Farabee, but Hart is a close second. 

For reasons that have been discussed else where as much as I appreciated "G" for what he meant to this organization, his ship has now passed.  Time to move on and for the Flyers to begin LAG (life after Giroux).

JVR needs to go ....I don't care how.  He just can't be on the roster come the start of the 22-23 season.

I'm not willing to part with Provy or Sanheim just yet.  Let's see what new coach can do with them in terms of development.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I'm not willing to part with Provy or Sanheim just yet.  Let's see what new coach can do with them in terms of development.

Only way I would do this, is if the player you brought in was legitimately better at his position, then either are at theirs. And you have to factor who has to fill the void left by their departure 

• Like 2

It's interesting (and surprising to me) that only the JVR question got mixed results. I voted to buy him out and be done with it. I'd offer him to Buffalo first though. See if we can get that 2nd rounder back and help them reach the cap floor but I doubt they'd go for it. Just ditch him if nobody wants him.

The other one I'm not sure on is Provorov. Just not sure where his head's at. Torts needs to sit down with him, get inside that head, and find out if he really wants to be a Flyer and buy in. If there's doubt, trade him in a reverse Risto if not more. 

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

It's interesting (and surprising to me) that only the JVR question got mixed results. I voted to buy him out and be done with it. I'd offer him to Buffalo first though. See if we can get that 2nd rounder back and help them reach the cap floor but I doubt they'd go for it. Just ditch him if nobody wants him.

The other one I'm not sure on is Provorov. Just not sure where his head's at. Torts needs to sit down with him, get inside that head, and find out if he really wants to be a Flyer and buy in. If there's doubt, trade him in a reverse Risto if not more. 

You're not getting a 2nd back.  A pick would be going the opposite way as a sweetener.   Buffalo just did such a trade and they have a ton of people to sign. I doubt they do it again.  Never the less, getting a 2nd back probably isn't the way that would work.  

Just keep him.  It's only this year.  We're NOT going anywhere this year, so ride it out. Don't extend the pain by buying him out , and don't use what it would take to get rid of him just a year early for no particular benefit for that year.  This team will be closer to last than anything so might as well suck it up for the year.

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Just keep him.  It's only this year.  We're NOT going anywhere this year, so ride it out. Don't extend the pain by buying him out , and don't use what it would take to get rid of him just a year early for no particular benefit for that year.  This team will be closer to last than anything so might as well suck it up for the year.

This is how I think about that guy.

If he has a "JvR type" year where he's got around 45 pts and 22 goals at the trade deadline,  maybe he gets a 2nd round pick in '23 for a contender that has some bad injury luck or a 3rd if that contender wants scoring depth.

Paying half his cap hit is the only "sweetener" I'd add to get rid of him.

No picks.

No buyout.

Don't keep adding to the mistake that has been the JvR experience. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This is how I think about that guy.

If he has a "JvR type" year where he's got around 45 pts and 22 goals at the trade deadline,  maybe he gets a 2nd round pick in '23 for a contender that has some bad injury luck or a 3rd if that contender wants scoring depth.

Paying half his cap hit is the only "sweetener" I'd add to get rid of him.

No picks.

No buyout.

Don't keep adding to the mistake that has been the JvR experience. 

Yeah I'm not buying him out.

It is either a trade even picking up half his salary or just keep him I am not sweetening no deal to move JVR.

• Like 2

All good points about JVR. I hate that guy. I don't want to waste anymore of time discussing what's going to happen, or should happen with him.  I dont care if he rides the pine, forcing his agent to find a way out for him

He will be gone, one way or another, I'll just wait til it happens.

Pretty sure he will hate playing for torts

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

You're not getting a 2nd back.  A pick would be going the opposite way as a sweetener.   Buffalo just did such a trade and they have a ton of people to sign. I doubt they do it again.  Never the less, getting a 2nd back probably isn't the way that would work.  

Well yes, I agree a 2nd back is wish fulfillment. Just thinking Buffalo (and hence semi joking about that Risto related pick) since they need to reach the cap floor and their plan is to go with mostly entry level players. They could use a net front PP guy, even if only for a year while their kids develop. Good for us to get rid of him, good for them as they transition. 

I'm less pessimistic than you though so I'd ditch him sooner than later just to clean house and the locker room. I think Torts can make us better. How much and how quickly idk, but I don't think we are a tank team. At least not yet. 

Interesting that so far it is a statically dead heat in what to do with JVR .....

image.thumb.png.a93b469d309f3239fa775c5c89fe906e.png

granted small sample size ...just proves what a conundrum JVR has created for this team and fanbase .....AND with no clear cut or easy solution in what to do with him ....

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Interesting that so far it is a statically dead heat in what to do with JVR .....

granted small sample size ...just proves what a conundrum JVR has created for this team and fanbase .....AND with no clear cut or easy solution in what to do with him ....

Ya but if they had a "cement shoes at the bottom of a canal" option I bet it would be unanimous.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya but if they had a "cement shoes at the bottom of a canal" option I bet it would be unanimous.

that can be arranged .... ;)

image.jpeg.a9de0e9dbc1841362bdaa91d5f654821.jpeg

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, pilldoc said:

A clear example of not just signing the top free agents but more about signing the best free agent who fits.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pilldoc said:

AND with no clear cut or easy solution in what to do with him ....

All three are legitimately viable options.  We had to pick one.

I'd try to retain and trade and not give up a bunch with it.

If that didn't work, I'd consult the coach and then either buyout or bite the bullet and ride out next season.

Also kind of depends on what they need the $2.6M+ to do...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

How do you expect them to get rid of 15+ players on the roster?  To throw other assets away like draft picks just to unload these players, while gutting the few assets the organization does have to work with?  That's absolutely NOT the way to be a contender. 

i think he was being a bit tongue and cheek there with a bit of sarcasm. Nobody on here excepts to gut the team in one full swoop. Totally agree that is unrealistic. I think think he simply meant there are few players worth keeping on the roster….

• Like 2

image.png.01373cc8db1eb36747bbfa3714bcc692.png

Not surprising but our members also agree with the results .....

The fans still believe in Carter Hart’s potential.

Well, in fairness, it’s not like this question asked whether they remain confident in Hart’s ability to develop into a franchise-changing star. But despite a legitimately awful 2020-21 season and a better but still underwhelming by raw statistics campaign in 2021-22, a plurality still views him as the organization’s best hope internally for a high-end player. Only Joel Farabee is even close to him.

As for the rest of the group? From the respondents, 8.8 percent believe that Cam York could potentially develop into a top-pair, high-end blueliner. There are a few surveyed who followed Bobby Brink’s NCAA-leading scorefest that was the 2021-22 season and have hopes that he could be a major offensive weapon at the NHL level. And even Owen Tippett, Morgan Frost (still) and Noah Cates have scattered supporters as well.

image.png.d177321b5f4c3e0b609fe1abd473d47f.png

Not to same I am surprised based off our results .....

From The Athletic ....

I have to say, I did not expect it to be so lopsided, particularly in this direction.

Perhaps most fans surveyed believe there’s little point to bringing Giroux back given the state of the rest of the team. Maybe they’ve just accepted how unlikely it appears to be. Perhaps some would like the Flyers to hand over the leadership mantle to a young group and see his return as a counterproductive measure in that regard. Maybe they look at the team’s cap situation and wonder how he would even fit. Or perhaps there’s a group of fans that no longer wants to subject Giroux to the sorry state of the Flyers and would prefer him to spend his later years in the NHL chasing down that elusive Stanley Cup elsewhere.

In any case, the results are staggering. Three out of every four voters would recommend that the Flyers stay out of the Giroux sweepstakes this July. Fascinating.

• Like 2