From The Athletic - Flyers Poll/Survey (Part 6) - Players

pilldoc

The Athletic Flyers Poll/Survey  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which under 25 player "currently" on the roster do you have the most faith could ultimately develop into a "Star-Level" player?

• Joel Farabee
    • Carter Hart
    • Cam York
    • Morgan Frost
    • Owen Tippett
    • Bobby Brink
    • Noah Cates
    • Ronnie Attard
  2. 2. Do you believe the Flyers should actively pursue Claude Giroux in free agency this summer? (why or why not discuss below)

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What should the Flyers do with James Van Riemsdyk (JVR) this offseason?

• Trade him (likely with a sweetener to clear cap space)
    • Buy him out and gain $2.66 million worth of cap room for 2022-23
    • Keep him
  4. 4. Should the Flyers trade Ivan Provorov this off season? (discuss why or why not below)

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Should t he Flyers trade Travis Sanhaim this summer? (discuss why or why not below)

• Yes
    • No

image.png.f9e29b4c87cfe17e6c3fc35c696d26a8.png

The masses, despite being skeptical of the concept of an aggressive retool and even a moderate retool, still want JvR out.

My guess is that this is mostly a result of general frustration with van Riemsdyk the player, especially after he was largely invisible for the first two-thirds of the 2021-22 campaign. With one year left on his contract, at least 49.7 percent (plus an additional 14.7 percent that simply want to buy him out and jettison him that way) of the surveyed voters are ready for the Flyers to part ways with JvR, even if it means taking a hit in the process. That’s 65.9 percent that want him out of Philadelphia this summer.

Thirty-four percent want the Flyers to hang on to him, however. And the logic there is sound as well — rather than burn assets or suffer a dead cap hit just for the benefit of clearing a few million dollars this season, the Flyers could hang onto JvR for the last year of his deal, hope he helps them compete for a playoff spot and if not, sell him for legitimate assets at the trade deadline, when his cap hit is far less onerous due to teams banking space (and the prospect of salary retention). It’s the difference between paying to get rid of JvR and accumulating assets in return for him.

I disagree with Charlie here (or rather the fans who want to hang on to him for trade value) ... I don't know any NHL team willing to trade legitimate assets for James VanSLOTHdyke.

• Like 1

image.png.3fe60816d4da856b07b07360766421a6.png

Again no surprises here as we voted the same ....However I am shocked more fans want to trade Provorov.

Well, Flyers fans would prefer to keep both Provorov and Sanheim this offseason rather than trade them. But there’s one they’d like to keep a lot more.

It’s no surprise, really — Sanheim had the superior season, winning the Barry Ashbee Trophy that’s given to best Flyers defenseman and fully deserving it as well. Also, Provorov just feels more likely to be included in a blockbuster, player-for-player move over Sanheim, who has just one year remaining on his contract and therefore comes with far less long-term certainty. Still, it’s clear that our surveyed voters aren’t itching to give away either, just as the Flyers aren’t. Given the choice, however, it’s clear which one more of them would trade first.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

There's no need for them to sit at the cap ceiling,

Dave Scott says they're spending to the cap!!!

I don't agree, of course, but when people tell you who they are, I tend to listen...

13 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

The percentage of this fanbase buying into the new shiny toy Tortorella's script that he was given is absolutely hilarious. 

You keep saying this and as you say to others this is your opinion but you have zero proof this guy is reading something prepared by the organization.

Why is it not believable that a man can just speak his mind and tell what he expects and wants from his team??

You probably also think the earth is flat too...keep trying. Maybe somebody here will believe you. I get that you hate the front office but stops with the made up stuff you have no proof of....well never mind you're entitled to your opinion - and it is entertaining...no keep it and carry on.

:PopcornSmiley2:

1. Which under 25 player "currently" on the roster do you have the most faith could ultimately develop into a "Star-Level" player?

If I am being frank, NONE of the players listed scream "NHL Star!" to me. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean they can't be very good NHL players, either on a line WITH a star player, should the Flyers get one, or as solid supporting players somewhere in the top 9.

I base this on watching some of them play over the last couple seasons, looking at stat sheets, and reading scouting reports that are out there for anyone to read.
If Philly has some players that could come close to being a star type NHL'er, I'd have to say it is either Carter Hart himself (if his confidence isn't completely shot by now that is..AND with a better defense in front of him), Joel Farabee, who has proven he can skate with "the big boys" in the NHL and do pretty well, if inconsistent, or Owen Tippett, who has yet to prove his complete worth in the NHL, but has excelled in every level below to an impressive degree.
Leads me to think that with a bit more seasoning, he could translate his game into a viable NHL caliber version that sees him as a pretty regular contributor.

The rest of the players on the list, interestingly most of which look like they are decent college players, could be hit or miss, and even if they "hit", again, I'd think they are better suited to support roles or secondary scoring types.
Obviously, it is up to the players themselves and the people responsible for putting them in the best position to succeed to do their jobs and get the full potential out of any player.

So, to narrow it down, I will go with Joel Farabee as he is the most proven of this particular group (tough to bypass Carter Hart because I've seen flashes of his brilliance, followed by valleys of despair from him), and I can imagine Farabee being part of a good offensive line for the Flyers should they find compatible linemates for him.
I wouldn't consider Farabee a "star" per se, but let's just say, I wouldn't mind him playing for the Minnesota Wild or the Tampa Bay Lightning...... yep, I think he can be consistent enough to warrant being part of a winning core.

2. Do you believe the Flyers should actively pursue Claude Giroux in free agency this summer? 
No.
Unless Claude Giroux really wants to finish his career as a Flyer, help out with any rebuilds and project players, and take a massive paycut to do all this, the answer is NO.

First off, I don't think he views himself as ready for pasture and should just take a smaller check to help out the youngins.  He still wants to win, wants to win now, considers himself a top six NHL'er capable of driving a winning core.
Whether he actually is anymore or not is irrelevant to him because HE believes he is...which is why I think he will seek to get a pretty sizeable final contract from someone who is close to winning.

Giroux was and may still be a favorite among many Flyers fans, but his time, his core group, and his age range MUST be moved on from by the Flyers.
Taking something from my own personal fan history, guys like Vinnie Lecavalier and Brad Richards...loved this guys. And after they were traded away and/or bought out, the Bolts had the opportunity to bring them back in some fashion.
I am glad they didn't.....even though they are two of my favorite all time Lightning players.

Their time was done and the organization couldn't properly move forward with those guys being brought back trying to hang onto past glories. The org needed new blood and hand the reigns over to a younger crowd, which turned out to be Stamkos and those who came after him.
Flyers need to do the same.

3. What should the Flyers do with James Van Riemsdyk (JVR) this offseason?

One year left, albeit at a hefty 7M cap hit? I'd say bite the bullet, keep him on and move on from him next season.
If some team thinks they can "resuscitate" him somehow, and they are willing to give the Flyers a middling type player or two for him, or even a mid round selection and a mid grade prospect, I'd say Philly should take it and be done with it.....even if they have to retain a bit of salary (remember, just for the year....a year in which the Flyers should be transitioning, not going for a Cup anyways).

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES, should the Flyers attach young players or draft picks simply to 'get rid' of JVR's contract, nor should they buy him out (that should be saved for bigger headaches like Hayes or Risto with the longer contracts).
Either ride it out with him, or see if someone thinks they can do something with him Philly couldn't and be rid of him that way. That's it.

4. Should the Flyers trade Ivan Provorov this off season?
5. Should t he Flyers trade Travis Sanhaim this summer? 

Putting those two together because, really, I don't know! If both or either were 30 or more, easily the answer is trade them, yes.
Or if they were both around the 22-24 age range, the easy answer is keep them for the rebuild.
But we are talking 25 and 26...the age where they should be hitting their strides with a winning core....yet they aren't, and the Flyers aren't.

Can they turn things around for themselves in just a season or two moving forward? How fast can the organization get things back on track before they start to age out?
What is the market for those two players anyways? Will Sanheim take less to stay on, maybe on a prove it contract?

Lots of moving parts here. Many of which, I am not sure the Flyers have what it takes to make them viable should they stick around or properly get the right value for should they decide to trade them.
An honest "I don't know!" for this one. 
Perhaps after the fact, once the season starts, and other decisions are made, would it become clearer what Philly should do with those two players, but right now, the answer, IMO, is murky at best....UNLESS the Flyers commit to a complete overhaul, in which case, they should trade them for picks and prospects....especially Provorov whom other teams are sure to see some redemption value there.

Do the Flyers have a single player/prospect who is or will be in the next 5 years as good as Brayden Point?  I'm not sure we do.

Brayden Point is very good and has made exactly one ASG.

I just do not see anyone in our system who is going to be even close to a multi-ASG player.

Show me the SC winner from the last 10-20 years that didn't have at 2-3 of these guys.