2021-22 Stanley Cup Finals: Tampa Bay Lightning (Wales Champion) at Colorado Avalanche (Campbell Champion) - (COL WINS 4-2)

TBL vs COL  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Stanley Cup Champion: Beast of the East or Best of the West?

• 1-- Bolts in 4. Defending Champs blow the hype right the hell up and disappoint many Western fans, and irritate odds makers!
    • 2-- Bolts in 5. Series doesn't quite live up to the hype as TB makes short work of the Avs, only giving up one game due to Bolts' team bus running late...
    • 3-- Bolts in 6. Great series that sees a bit of everything, but the Lightning still show why they have been the best for the last three seasons...and why the Avs still need a bit more work.
    • 4-- Bolts in 7. Fantastic set that truly shows hockey can be a game of inches....and rulers and yardsticks favor the defending Champions who make it 3 in a row!
    • 5-- Avs in 4. Predators, Oilers....Lightning. Makes no difference to the powerful, hungry Avalanche. They sweep. New Champs.
    • 6-- Avs in 5. TB tries but finally finds a team that matches and exceeds them at every turn. Vasy steals a game, but that's it.
    • 7-- Avs in 6. Colorado grows by leaps n bounds even during this series, and dethrones the defending champions on their own ice!
    • 8-- Avs in 7. Epic set. New Champs crowned. Old Champs fall just shy of historical greatness. And all in front of the Denver home crowd!

This poll is closed to new votes

35261290_TBLvsCOLbackboard.thumb.jpg.df716b511bf96e1419e6aa1eee6ae76b.jpg

Season series. Who won it?
Avalanche swept the short two gamer 2-0-0, though one of the games took OT to decide.

How did they get here?
Tampa Bay: ----A tough, tough series against the Toronto Maple Leafs, who, had fate been kinder, could have been the ones exiting that opening round.
---- A second round that saw them pretty much slice through the President's trophy winning Florida Panthers. 4-0 sweep. Still boggles the mind.
---- An Eastern Conference Final that saw them face stiff competition from the NY Rangers, but in the end, the exhausted looking Rangers were just no match for the experience and tenacity of the defending champions.

Colorado: ---Pretty much ran through the Nashville Predators in the opening round. Preds played respectably at points, but really, the Avs had minimal issues there.
---- Round 2 saw the Avs having to work a bit harder for their series win. No wonder, because the opponent was the last former champion, St. Louis Blues. Still though, Colorado did what they needed to do and showed superiority over the Blues en route to the Western Conference berth.

---- Western Conference Finals had Colorado facing the Oilers and THIS, to me, was the series that really showed the Avs' versatility. They showed in all series leading up to and including this one, they can play just about any style game....shut down, close to the vest...wide open high scoring...tough n nasty as well.
Doing away with Draisaitl, McDavid and the rest of the Oilers in 4 games was pretty impressive.

It's not often that prior to the post season starting, the two teams many saw facing each other, comes true. Unforeseen things of all sorts of happen.
Yet here are the Lightning and the Avalanche, the most probable teams to play for the Cup, according to odds makers, going stick to stick, face shield to face shield.

Tampa Bay, of course, is looking to etch itself amongst very elite company by winning their 3rd consecutive Stanley Cup. They have been the standard bearer the last 2+ seasons and they look to continue to be just that finishing off this season and going into the next one.

Colorado is looking to validate their top standing this season by converting that into a championship win for the first time since 2001. Star players, grinders...they have them at every position.

Barring one team completely not showing up, this SC Final looks to be one of the better ones in quite some time.
No matter which team comes out on top, they will have certainly EARNED it 1000% not only because of how they got here, but because of the opponent they needed to beat to get the big prize.

For TB, what better way to push yourselves into a part of history than by beating a very talented, highly touted Colorado Avalanche team.
For Col, what better way to say "We are the best in the business" than by taking down the two time defending Stanley Cup Champions.

Bolts, Avs.... Stanley Cup Finals chat, gameday posting, and post game chatter.....right here!
Series begins Wednesday, June 15 2022, at 8pm EST, 5pm PST.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Should be a great series ......

Nothing against the Bolts, I have tremendous respect for them.  Would like to see a new Champion crowned and I think the Avs just might have it in them to dethrone the current champs.

I always said, TO BE THE BEST, you have to BEAT THE BEST.  

Avs in 6

• Like 3

I am looking forward to this series.

Speed, skill, toughness all over both lineups.

If Girard can come back, I think the Lightning win the series, if he stays on the IR, I like the Avs in 7 thrilling games.

I think the Avs are physically tougher with Towes and Makar on the top pair.

I give the Bolts an edge in net. A big one regardless of Kuemper's status.

Vasilevski will need his A+ game because Colorado has created tons of grade a scoring chances in the games I've watched.

Should be super fun watching the top 2 lines square off.

Can't wait to see what happens.

• Like 2

What do you all think I am going to predict? 😛

The first Stanley Cup for the Avalanche came way back in 1996. I was 3 years old and I don't remember it at all and honestly I didn't follow the team back then. 

Then they won in 2001 and I was 8 years old then and I do remember that a little, but I was more of a casual watcher of the Avs back then mostly watching with my grandpa.

This is the year for me to really live it and be in the thick of it and I plan to do just that.

The Avalanche has cruised through the playoffs this year and in my opinion that stops here with this series with Tampa. They need to wash that cruise mentality right out of their minds right now and get serious because if they don't they could be ousted from the Stanley Cup Finals really quickly by this team. I do think the Avs know that and they are prepared.

Still I believe both teams will see their toughest challenge in this playoff and it is going to be a fun series to watch and to cheer on my team. I predict the Avalanche will win this series in 7 games and win their 3rd ever Stanley Cup Championship and stop the two time champs in the Tampa Bay Lightning from getting that 3rd in a row. 

• Like 3

There are 2 things that will determine this series and championship. 
Does Vasilesky continue to steal games?

Will Kadri and the rest of the injured Avs be able to play up to their pre injured state. 
With Vasilesky at the top of his game and the Avs injuries, I will have to go with Tampa. 
But if the Avs walking wounded can play well, I think it goes 7 and too close to call. 

cut.jpg

2022 Stanley Cup Final

Tampa Bay (A3) vs. Colorado (C1)

Wednesday, June 15: Lightning at Avalanche, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN+, ABC, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
Saturday, June 18: Lightning at Avalanche, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN+, ABC, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
Monday, June 20: Avalanche at Lightning, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN+, ABC, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
Wednesday, June 22: Avalanche at Lightning, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN+, ABC, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
*Friday, June 24: Lightning at Avalanche, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN+, ABC, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
*Sunday, June 26: Avalanche at Lightning, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN+, ABC, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
*Tuesday, June 28: Lightning at Avalanche, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN+, ABC, SN, CBC, TVA Sports

https://www.nhl.com/news/2022-stanley-cup-final-schedule/c-325473296?tid=334128040

Edited by NHL HHOF

If the top-6 of each team offsets each other because they are damn good, the difference will depend on the bottom-6, significantly better on the Lightning side. Same of the defense, Tampa had more quality depth. Not to mention goaltending. No disrespect towards Colorado, but I'll take Tampa in 5.

2 hours ago, Captain Lando said:

The first Stanley Cup for the Avalanche came way back in 1996. I was 3 years old and I don't remember it at all and honestly I didn't follow the team back then.

Fans from Québec called it "Win a cup with Nordiques players". That hurt a lot people from Québec City because it was the first time they managed to put a terrific team on the ice after years of suckage, and then they moved and Colorado just had to pick the mature fruit from the tree.

But don't get me wrong: I've never been a Nordiques fan, the move itself made sense in all aspects and Marcel Aubut had no other choice to sell the team, but the timing was harsh like hell for fans here. That success started with the Lindros trade and the great work from the late Pierre Lacroix with the Roy trade on top of that.

8 minutes ago, Math said:

If the top-6 of each team offsets each other because they are damn good, the difference will depend on the bottom-6, significantly better on the Lightning side. Same of the defense, Tampa had more quality depth. Not to mention goaltending. No disrespect towards Colorado, but I'll take Tampa in 5.

Bolts in five!?
Pucksy....that is very pucksy of ya! ;) 

1 minute ago, Math said:

Fans from Québec called it "Win a cup with Nordiques players". That hurt a lot people from Québec City because it was the first time they managed to put a terrific team on the ice after years of suckage, and then they moved and Colorado just had to pick the mature fruit from the tree.

But don't get me wrong: I've never been a Nordiques fan, the move itself made sense in all aspects and Marcel Aubut had no other choice to sell the team, but the timing was harsh like hell for fans here. That success started with the Lindros trade and the great work from the late Pierre Lacroix with the Roy trade on top of that.

A lot of fans around here know the history of the Nordiques, but since they left the NHL in 1995 when I was 2 years old I am not one of them. I do know one thing though is they had some really nice jerseys. My grandpa when I was young told me the whole story of how the Quebec team came to Colorado, but being a kid I really didn't want to here all of that stuff. I was more into certain players he watched. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Lando said:

A lot of fans around here know the history of the Nordiques, but since they left the NHL in 1995 when I was 2 years old I am not one of them. I do know one thing though is they had some really nice jerseys. My grandpa when I was young told me the whole story of how the Quebec team came to Colorado, but being a kid I really didn't want to here all of that stuff. I was more into certain players he watched.

And that is very cool. It's nice to keep that history and to see quite significant igloo jerseys in the arena. And the Retro-Reversed jersey was one of the best of the league. They rocked when when they played with it in Lake Tahoe last season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Lando said:

I am going to go out on a limb and say that is not going to happen. 

Don't forget y'all: I'm awful in predictions, even it's my daily job :whistle:

15 minutes ago, Math said:

And that is very cool. It's nice to keep that history and to see quite significant igloo jerseys in the arena. And the Retro-Reversed jersey was one of the best of the league. They rocked when when they played with it in Lake Tahoe last season.

There are plenty of those jerseys still filtering around at the Colorado Avalanche games.

15 minutes ago, Math said:

Don't forget y'all: I'm awful in predictions, even it's my daily job :whistle:

I hope you keep that trend up. 😛

Alright...my take on this.
For your safety, those that suffer from prose overload, step away from the screen until the next person posts the less dangerous "Avs in 4" and leaves it at that..... the Resident Wall of Texter will be at work here. :shifty: 

Since I do have a team in this Finals, there will be a natural bias at work here. And that bias is further bolstered by the fact that the team I have in the Finals is good. Damned good.
Ironically, not as dominant as the previous two Cup winning teams, as evidenced by their finish in the regular season and seemingly, teams playing the Bolts much tougher, but here they are nonetheless on the cusp of greatness.

If Tampa Bay were some "Johnny Got Lucky" team, or some team who just happened to 'get hot' at the right time, fan or not, I'd be forced to concede this series was Colorado's to win.
But the Lightning didn't get hot at the right time, aren't a Cinderella story, and are not named Johnny.

It took me some time to take the Avalanche seriously. I mean, they were for quite some time, along with the Bruins, the poster children for "One Line Team"....and with some suspect goaltending to boot. It seemed that if you shut MacK's line down, and pressure the goaltending, you could beat this team rather handily.

But Colorado has grown....grown INTO the hype that was given them ad nauseum pre-season, but grown into it regardless. They have shown some depth, character, the defense plays an underrated tough game, the goaltending has been much better than many expected and young players like Newhook, Byram, Girard, and especially Makar are either very high ceiling futures, trending upwards now, or already at Major League level play.

So all the hoopla surrounding the Mile High Stone Heads is certainly warranted now. This series should see everything. Unbelievable goals...unbelievable saves....tough defense, wide open defense...end to end action, nasty stuff along the boards and in front of creases, surgical power plays, and like great teams get, puck luck so blatant, one would think these teams got shamrocks shoved firmly up their five holes!

That all said, being a homer, being a fan of a team that can do something really special here, I cannot go against the defending champions.
Honestly, I am in a 'No Lose' situation here.

If the Bolts win, I can say my team is one of the best 'dynasties', such as they are today anyways, ever in the NHL.... if they lose, I have STILL had one hell of a run with the two Cups, and the fantastic run this season as Prince of Wales Champions, have nothing to be ashamed of, and, AAAANNND...the team is still good enough and young enough, to try again for what looks like the next two or three seasons!
Obviously my preference is for the Lightning to take the series, but if the Avalanche do it, there will be no excuses, and they will have deserved it.

Some teams' fans may keep breaking out excuses every time the Bolts pull away a series from them, "But if only this" or "You were gifted that", or "Your lucky your goalie stole that", or worst of all, the crying about teams that lost because they were missing Player X or Player Y........ironically, there was a lot of THAT from some Avs fans the last two or three seasons when Colorado failed to get out of their Conference Semi Final rounds.

If the Bolts win, it is because they are built to win and have proven it over and over for three seasons. If they lose, it will be because the other team, Colorado in this case, was the better team. Period.

For all that Colorado does well, I still like the better depth and goaltending of the Lightning. Big moment players like Alex Killorn, Steven Stamkos, Brayden Point (if he is in), Victor Hedman, and the super underrated Ondrej Palat help support my feelings on that as well.
Not to mention the familiarity, know how, experience, and skill...all blended together in a way, that I don't believe the Avalanche have yet.

The Avs look like they are a higher powered version of the Rangers in the sense that they have tons of skill, some very good vets, but not a whole lot in the way of guys who have won before.
The Lightning showed what they can do to a team that mentally isn't quite at their level....once they got the layoff rust off them that is...and I think they can do the same to the Avalanche....albeit, having to deal with dangerous Rocky Mountain beasts such as The Flying MacKinnon, the River Gila Kadri, the quick shrub brush Makar, and the army of Sasquatch mean defensemen sitting on their blueline.

I will be quite wrong if the Bolts falter, but I am not taking the chance on being wrong by betting against history being made.
Lightning in 6 as they celebrate their third straight on home ice....MacK and his boys will have to wait another year. 

• Good Post 2

15 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Alright...my take on this.
For your safety, those that suffer from prose overload, step away from the screen until the next person posts the less dangerous "Avs in 4" and leaves it at that..... the Resident Wall of Texter will be at work here. :shifty: 

Since I do have a team in this Finals, there will be a natural bias at work here. And that bias is further bolstered by the fact that the team I have in the Finals is good. Damned good.
Ironically, not as dominant as the previous two Cup winning teams, as evidenced by their finish in the regular season and seemingly, teams playing the Bolts much tougher, but here they are nonetheless on the cusp of greatness.

If Tampa Bay were some "Johnny Got Lucky" team, or some team who just happened to 'get hot' at the right time, fan or not, I'd be forced to concede this series was Colorado's to win.
But the Lightning didn't get hot at the right time, aren't a Cinderella story, and are not named Johnny.

It took me some time to take the Avalanche seriously. I mean, they were for quite some time, along with the Bruins, the poster children for "One Line Team"....and with some suspect goaltending to boot. It seemed that if you shut MacK's line down, and pressure the goaltending, you could beat this team rather handily.

But Colorado has grown....grown INTO the hype that was given them ad nauseum pre-season, but grown into it regardless. They have shown some depth, character, the defense plays an underrated tough game, the goaltending has been much better than many expected and young players like Newhook, Byram, Girard, and especially Makar are either very high ceiling futures, trending upwards now, or already at Major League level play.

So all the hoopla surrounding the Mile High Stone Heads is certainly warranted now. This series should see everything. Unbelievable goals...unbelievable saves....tough defense, wide open defense...end to end action, nasty stuff along the boards and in front of creases, surgical power plays, and like great teams get, puck luck so blatant, one would think these teams got shamrocks shoved firmly up their five holes!

That all said, being a homer, being a fan of a team that can do something really special here, I cannot go against the defending champions.
Honestly, I am in a 'No Lose' situation here.

If the Bolts win, I can say my team is one of the best 'dynasties', such as they are today anyways, ever in the NHL.... if they lose, I have STILL had one hell of a run with the two Cups, and the fantastic run this season as Prince of Wales Champions, have nothing to be ashamed of, and, AAAANNND...the team is still good enough and young enough, to try again for what looks like the next two or three seasons!
Obviously my preference is for the Lightning to take the series, but if the Avalanche do it, there will be no excuses, and they will have deserved it.

Some teams' fans may keep breaking out excuses every time the Bolts pull away a series from them, "But if only this" or "You were gifted that", or "Your lucky your goalie stole that", or worst of all, the crying about teams that lost because they were missing Player X or Player Y........ironically, there was a lot of THAT from some Avs fans the last two or three seasons when Colorado failed to get out of their Conference Semi Final rounds.

If the Bolts win, it is because they are built to win and have proven it over and over for three seasons. If they lose, it will be because the other team, Colorado in this case, was the better team. Period.

For all that Colorado does well, I still like the better depth and goaltending of the Lightning. Big moment players like Alex Killorn, Steven Stamkos, Brayden Point (if he is in), Victor Hedman, and the super underrated Ondrej Palat help support my feelings on that as well.
Not to mention the familiarity, know how, experience, and skill...all blended together in a way, that I don't believe the Avalanche have yet.

The Avs look like they are a higher powered version of the Rangers in the sense that they have tons of skill, some very good vets, but not a whole lot in the way of guys who have won before.
The Lightning showed what they can do to a team that mentally isn't quite at their level....once they got the layoff rust off them that is...and I think they can do the same to the Avalanche....albeit, having to deal with dangerous Rocky Mountain beasts such as The Flying MacKinnon, the River Gila Kadri, the quick shrub brush Makar, and the army of Sasquatch mean defensemen sitting on their blueline.

I will be quite wrong if the Bolts falter, but I am not taking the chance on being wrong by betting against history being made.
Lightning in 6 as they celebrate their third straight on home ice....MacK and his boys will have to wait another year. 

First off a beautifully scripted post may I say. Are you a writer by chance? 

The only thing is you got the ending wrong on your novel. 😛

Good Luck though as the series is going to be tremendous. The waiting the next few days for it to start I think is going to be the worst part. 

• Like 1

It can go either way... hard to project. But one thing I want to say is that it's really easy to underestimate how unbelievably consistently good this Tampa team has been over the last 3 years. I really believe what we are witnessing is a dynasty and maybe one of the best teams in the NHL of all times. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Lando said:

First off a beautifully scripted post may I say. Are you a writer by chance? 

The only thing is you got the ending wrong on your novel. 😛

Good Luck though as the series is going to be tremendous. The waiting the next few days for it to start I think is going to be the worst part. 

Wellllll....since you ASKED...in college I did pursue avenues in writing...journalism in particular, so that is probably where I get my long windedness and attention to detail.
AND the main reason I have to chuckle every time some self important blogger, podcaster, or otherwise wannabe 'journalist' comes onto forums like these and proclaims themselves the masters of all things known! :shifty: 
Not all of course, but some of those jokers aren't fit to write for a Chinese restaurant's menu....much less a respectable news outlet :bigteeth: 

Of course, my professors would probably roll their eyes at how I've perverted my writing skills.

As you can see.....LOTS of unusual uses of punctuations and capitalizations (in strange ways) for effect. Some PERFECTO stuff for things like message boards where I try to simulate being in front of the person and typing how I might speak with inflections and everything that goes with it.

Life had other plans for me though, but prose has always been my friend and I enjoy it.

And oh, look at me and my damned renegade keyboard....off topic.
I'll report myself and put myself on post moderation for the day...

Back on topic.
Go Bolts GO!

Really looking forward to a great series, I will enjoy the talking heads go on about it for....oh, I dunno, maybe till Monday night.
After that, I'm like you...STOP TALKING AND GET THIS STARTED ALREADY!!

As for the ending of my story, well, much like Rod Serling, my stories have lots of twists and turns....some HORRIBLY cruel ones.
Better hope the Avs aren't on the receiving end of one. :) 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

33 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wellllll....since you ASKED...in college I did pursue avenues in writing...journalism in particular, so that is probably where I get my long windedness and attention to detail.
AND the main reason I have to chuckle every time some self important blogger, podcaster, or otherwise wannabe 'journalist' comes onto forums like these and proclaims themselves the masters of all things known! :shifty: 
Not all of course, but some of those jokers aren't fit to write for a Chinese restaurant's menu....much less a respectable news outlet :bigteeth: 

Of course, my professors would probably roll their eyes at how I've perverted my writing skills.

As you can see.....LOTS of unusual uses of punctuations and capitalizations (in strange ways) for effect. Some PERFECTO stuff for things like message boards where I try to simulate being in front of the person and typing how I might speak with inflections and everything that goes with it.

Life had other plans for me though, but prose has always been my friend and I enjoy it.

And oh, look at me and my damned renegade keyboard....off topic.
I'll report myself and put myself on post moderation for the day...

Back on topic.
Go Bolts GO!

Really looking forward to a great series, I will enjoy the talking heads go on about it for....oh, I dunno, maybe till Monday night.
After that, I'm like you...STOP TALKING AND GET THIS STARTED ALREADY!!

As for the ending of my story, well, much like Rod Sterling, my stories have lots of twists and turns....some HORRIBLY cruel ones.
Better hope the Avs aren't on the receiving end of one. :) 

I on the other hand don't really have the writing skills nor did I pursue it in college. I however do I have use it in my job as a Human Resource Manager when writing up Job Descriptions and Job Reviews and things of that nature. They are quite different then writing a novel or even writing a post on a forum. 

I tend to not be long winded when typing because I am very long winded when speaking. When I am at a party, I am the one that pretty much never shuts up. My husband always have to either push another drink in my hand or some other bit of food to shut me up. 😁

I think it was Tom Petty that stated "The waiting is the hardest part." Even when I was watching the Tampa Bay and New York series waiting to see who was going to play the Avs was driving me crazy. I wanting the Avs back on the ice. The community here is about to explode and really wants to get this going. 

Unfortunately the ticket prices are insane and out of my price range, but there are bar watch parties that my husband and I might attend in the area that will be a blast for a game or two. If it goes to game 7 and I am not sure what day that falls on, but if it is not a work day that will definitely be one we go to a watch party at one of these places. 

Regardless, the series is going to be an epic match up. Not only do we have superstar players on each side, but we have a team going for something that hasn't be done very often and also a team who is looking for a Cup they have not raised since 2001. Just some incredible stuff ahead to anticipate. 

• Like 1

Found this on one of the Twitter feeds.
I think it was a Colorado-centric feed, judging by the commentary, but this was cool nonetheless.
Would make a great wall poster!

I especially like how they included Alex Killorn in there...not a superstar by any means, but a big, big part of why the Bolts are where they are.
They could have just as easily put Ondrej Palat in there too.

poster2.thumb.jpg.02d7651a3202a5dd7dd5dbdaa004c357.jpg

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Found this on one of the Twitter feeds.
I think it was a Colorado-centric feed, judging by the commentary, but this was cool nonetheless.
Would make a great wall poster!

I especially like how they included Alex Killorn in there...not a superstar by any means, but a big, big part of why the Bolts are where they are.
They could have just as easily put Ondrej Palat in there too.

poster2.thumb.jpg.02d7651a3202a5dd7dd5dbdaa004c357.jpg

That is really cool. I love how it has the city of Tampa and then the mountains for Colorado. Would be great blown up as a poster size. 

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You know, I've actually suspected that for quite some time. Your writing, and analysis in general, is on a professional level. It's almost unfair to the rest of us here.  But seriously, I always enjoy reading your comments.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was just wondering if any of these guys are Irish.....

My head says Tampa, been there dine that, that VAS guy, and a solid team/coach who is ready to go.

But my heart says Avs, somehow, someway this happens, a shamrock perhaps.

• Haha 2