2021-22 Stanley Cup Finals: Tampa Bay Lightning (Wales Champion) at Colorado Avalanche (Campbell Champion) - (COL WINS 4-2)

TBL vs COL  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Stanley Cup Champion: Beast of the East or Best of the West?

• 1-- Bolts in 4. Defending Champs blow the hype right the hell up and disappoint many Western fans, and irritate odds makers!
    • 2-- Bolts in 5. Series doesn't quite live up to the hype as TB makes short work of the Avs, only giving up one game due to Bolts' team bus running late...
    • 3-- Bolts in 6. Great series that sees a bit of everything, but the Lightning still show why they have been the best for the last three seasons...and why the Avs still need a bit more work.
    • 4-- Bolts in 7. Fantastic set that truly shows hockey can be a game of inches....and rulers and yardsticks favor the defending Champions who make it 3 in a row!
    • 5-- Avs in 4. Predators, Oilers....Lightning. Makes no difference to the powerful, hungry Avalanche. They sweep. New Champs.
    • 6-- Avs in 5. TB tries but finally finds a team that matches and exceeds them at every turn. Vasy steals a game, but that's it.
    • 7-- Avs in 6. Colorado grows by leaps n bounds even during this series, and dethrones the defending champions on their own ice!
    • 8-- Avs in 7. Epic set. New Champs crowned. Old Champs fall just shy of historical greatness. And all in front of the Denver home crowd!

This poll is closed to new votes

Do  you still believe TFG?  That you can pull this off?  It wont be easy.  Not against this team.  And the Blues did have their backs to the wall.  If not for that unfortunate lapse with 4 seconds left.  It might have been the Blues vs Tampa.  The Blues gave them hell.  So they are still on the short list of threats to win it all.  Unless they lose a bunch of players.  They already lost Pietrangelo, and that was big enough.  They cant lose Parayko.  Colorado are sharks circling now. And their is blood in the water

Tampa Bay Lightning coach Jon Cooper questions if Colorado Avalanche center Nazem Kadri's OT winner should have counted

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Lightning coach Jon Cooper held a short, tense news conference after their Stanley Cup Final Game 4 loss on Wednesday night during which he questioned the legality of Colorado Avalanche center Nazem Kadri's game-winning goal in overtime.

Cooper rambled for a minute on his love of the NHL and his team's journey to back-to-back Stanley Cup championships before focusing on Kadri's goal at 12:02 of overtime, which gave the Avalanche a 3-1 lead in the series.

"This one is going to sting much more than others, just because it was taking on ... it was potentially ... I don't know ... it's hard for me. It's going to be hard for me to speak. I'm going to have to speak. I'll speak with you tomorrow," he said. "You're going to see what I mean when you see the winning goal. And my heart breaks for the players. Because we probably still should be playing."

With that, Cooper excused himself after a single question.

Speculation after the game was that the Lightning thought the Avalanche had six skaters on the ice before the game-winning goal was scored. There were camera angles that showed six Colorado skaters on the ice as Kadri collected a pass, skated into the zone and beat goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy for the 3-2 win.

At issue was whether Nathan MacKinnon was close enough to the Avalanche bench to be considered a "retired player" when his teammate jumped on the ice and became engaged in the play. Skaters have to be within 5 feet of the bench and out of the play before a change is made.

"A too many men on the ice penalty is a judgment call that can be made by any of the four on-ice officials," NHL Hockey Operations said in a statement. "Following the game, Hockey Operations met with the four officials as is their normal protocol. In discussing the winning goal, each of the four officials advised that they did not see a too many men on the ice situation on the play."

Too many men on the ice infractions are not reviewable, even when a goal is scored.

Fueling the conspiracy theories: The NHL handed out a scoresheet to the media that had six skaters listed for the Avalanche on Kadri's game winner and then edited that scoresheet to list five skaters online.

The NHL said that additional player, defenseman Erik Johnson, might have ended up on the initial scoresheet due to players jumping off the bench in celebration after Kadri scored.

Kadri seemed puzzled about Cooper's gripe after the game.

"I'm not quite sure what he really was, what he was thinking of why it shouldn't have counted. That kind of confuses me a little bit," said Kadri, who played in his first game of the series after undergoing thumb surgery in the Western Conference finals. "The puck hit the back of the net, end of story, so not sure why he would say that."

Cooper began his news conference speaking about his team's fast start before quickly segueing into how difficult the Lightning's championship run has been while also criticizing the NHL's salary cap system.

"You know, I love this league. It's the greatest league in the world. The people that run it are amazing. Everything about it. It's like a dream come true for me, especially being a Canadian kid growing up and everything that's gone on," he said.

"You know, I've been part of some heartbreaking losses and defeats to the teams that took us out, and been with a group that just fights, fights and fights. And they fought their way to a third Stanley Cup Final in a row. And in a cap era when ... when it's so damn hard and the rules are put against you because the league wants parity. And I love that about the league. And that's what makes it tougher. And just watch this team, what they've gone through and the battling that's gone on. And we're all in this together. Players, coaches, refs, everybody."

Game 5 is Friday night in Denver. Teams with a 3-1 lead in a best-of-seven hold an all-time series record of 298-31 (.906), including a 2-1 (.667) clip in 2022 and a 35-1 (.972) mark in the Stanley Cup Final.

So Darcy Kuemper is one win away of getting a Stanley Cup ring...

Tampa in 7.

(Now former Stars Cogliano, Nichushkin and former prospect Paul have all more goals in SC finals than Benn and Seguin reunited)

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Tampa Bay Lightning coach Jon Cooper questions if Colorado Avalanche center Nazem Kadri's OT winner should have counted

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Lightning coach Jon Cooper held a short, tense news conference after their Stanley Cup Final Game 4 loss on Wednesday night during which he questioned the legality of Colorado Avalanche center Nazem Kadri's game-winning goal in overtime.

Cooper rambled for a minute on his love of the NHL and his team's journey to back-to-back Stanley Cup championships before focusing on Kadri's goal at 12:02 of overtime, which gave the Avalanche a 3-1 lead in the series.

"This one is going to sting much more than others, just because it was taking on ... it was potentially ... I don't know ... it's hard for me. It's going to be hard for me to speak. I'm going to have to speak. I'll speak with you tomorrow," he said. "You're going to see what I mean when you see the winning goal. And my heart breaks for the players. Because we probably still should be playing."

With that, Cooper excused himself after a single question.

Speculation after the game was that the Lightning thought the Avalanche had six skaters on the ice before the game-winning goal was scored. There were camera angles that showed six Colorado skaters on the ice as Kadri collected a pass, skated into the zone and beat goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy for the 3-2 win.

At issue was whether Nathan MacKinnon was close enough to the Avalanche bench to be considered a "retired player" when his teammate jumped on the ice and became engaged in the play. Skaters have to be within 5 feet of the bench and out of the play before a change is made.

"A too many men on the ice penalty is a judgment call that can be made by any of the four on-ice officials," NHL Hockey Operations said in a statement. "Following the game, Hockey Operations met with the four officials as is their normal protocol. In discussing the winning goal, each of the four officials advised that they did not see a too many men on the ice situation on the play."

Too many men on the ice infractions are not reviewable, even when a goal is scored.

Fueling the conspiracy theories: The NHL handed out a scoresheet to the media that had six skaters listed for the Avalanche on Kadri's game winner and then edited that scoresheet to list five skaters online.

The NHL said that additional player, defenseman Erik Johnson, might have ended up on the initial scoresheet due to players jumping off the bench in celebration after Kadri scored.

Kadri seemed puzzled about Cooper's gripe after the game.

"I'm not quite sure what he really was, what he was thinking of why it shouldn't have counted. That kind of confuses me a little bit," said Kadri, who played in his first game of the series after undergoing thumb surgery in the Western Conference finals. "The puck hit the back of the net, end of story, so not sure why he would say that."

Cooper began his news conference speaking about his team's fast start before quickly segueing into how difficult the Lightning's championship run has been while also criticizing the NHL's salary cap system.

"You know, I love this league. It's the greatest league in the world. The people that run it are amazing. Everything about it. It's like a dream come true for me, especially being a Canadian kid growing up and everything that's gone on," he said.

"You know, I've been part of some heartbreaking losses and defeats to the teams that took us out, and been with a group that just fights, fights and fights. And they fought their way to a third Stanley Cup Final in a row. And in a cap era when ... when it's so damn hard and the rules are put against you because the league wants parity. And I love that about the league. And that's what makes it tougher. And just watch this team, what they've gone through and the battling that's gone on. And we're all in this together. Players, coaches, refs, everybody."

Game 5 is Friday night in Denver. Teams with a 3-1 lead in a best-of-seven hold an all-time series record of 298-31 (.906), including a 2-1 (.667) clip in 2022 and a 35-1 (.972) mark in the Stanley Cup Final.

Every line change in the history of hockey has too many men on the ice. Cooper is trying to get the next call. Desperation time.

• Like 1

I think Cooper gripping about the final goal and the salary cap is rich. 
Tampa’s first goal should have been disallowed as Keumper’s mask was knocked off by a high stick and then a shot. Play is supposed to stop when the goalie losses his helmet. 
And for Tampa of all teams to cry about the cap is ridiculous. 

How in the hell can that arrogant prick Cooper whine over that goal.  It stuck inside the damn net. Its in Cooper.  And if you can beat this team 3 times in a row then you deserve to win.  You wont.   The  Blues lost in very similar fashion to this speedy team.  They will be tough in the west but of course we all know there are always changes in all lineups the next year due to the Salary cap which I do not like to follow.  Its business brought into sport far too much.  Learned enough as Steinbrenner robbed my team enough times for me to understand it.

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Unless a scoring chance is happening, which it was.  There were way too many rebounds by Kuemper during that sequence.  He should have had control of the puck long before the shot that took his helmet off even happened.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/why-lightning-were-allowed-to-score-after-avalanches-kuemper-lost-his-helmet/

His complaint isn't about the puck being in the net or not.  It was about Colorado having 6 men on the ice at the time of the goal.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34134224/tampa-bay-lightning-coach-jon-cooper-questions-colorado-avalanche-center-nazem-kadri-ot-winner-counted

The stupid part of the goalie mask rule is that the only time the play is called dead is when the goalie is NOT in danger of being hit in the head with the puck. 
If there is a scoring chance play continues, meaning the goalie without his helmet must risk getting hit in the head with a shot.

Only NASCAR and the NHL would come up with such a stupid rule. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

No shame in losing to this CO team

We don't agree on much, but on this, sure.
Great Avalanche team that, should they beat the Lightning, absolutely would deserve the Cup. They would have beaten the best team the last three years after all.

That said, series, though firmly in Colorado's favor, still isn't over, and I am not conceding victory yet.
As long as the boys in the Lightning locker room keep believing they can win three in a row, I will believe right along with them.

It's the kind of thing winners do. Keep fighting till you're actually beat.... not fold up like a non contender just playing out the string.

39 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

The stupid part of the goalie mask rule is that the only time the play is called dead is when the goalie is NOT in danger of being hit in the head with the puck. 
If there is a scoring chance play continues, meaning the goalie without his helmet must risk getting hit in the head with a shot.

Yeah, that's an ongoing trend in the League by being with those rules, like the too many men on ice where you have a margin of tolerance (approx. 5 ft. for a line change, no call if the players are not directly involved in the play)

For the goalie mask, one of the reason the rule was loosen is because some of the Fleurys, Bishops and Lehtonens of this world always tend to lose their the helmet once the situation was too hot and got an immediate whistle from the refs.

1 hour ago, Tomdog said:

Yea, kind of don't get that....Tampa player knocks off goalie mask and play continues, all danger aside, play only stops if that avs regain puck possesion, wich is silly because that that point, DK is no longer in danger.

46 minutes ago, Math said:

Yeah, that's an ongoing trend in the League by being with those rules, like the too many men on ice where you have a margin of tolerance (approx. 5 ft. for a line change, no call if the players are not directly involved in the play)

For the goalie mask, one of the reason the rule was loosen is because some of the Fleurys, Bishops and Lehtonens of this world always tend to lose their the helmet once the situation was too hot and got an immediate whistle from the refs.

Yea that’s a problem that perhaps a chin strap would solve. 

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

We don't agree on much, but on this, sure.
Great Avalanche team that, should they beat the Lightning, absolutely would deserve the Cup. They would have beaten the best team the last three years after all.

That said, series, though firmly in Colorado's favor, still isn't over, and I am not conceding victory yet.
As long as the boys in the Lightning locker room keep believing they can win three in a row, I will believe right along with them.

It's the kind of thing winners do. Keep fighting till you're actually beat.... not fold up like a non contender just playing out the string.

Oh so St Louis Blues Cup was just a fluke huh?  And so far they have given the Avs the better fight.  The Blues could have taken down your boys.  I wish that were the matchup.  Almost was.  The Blues won the Cup in Boston.  Not easy.  They did it. Of course they had Pietrangelo who bailed for the God almighty buck.  Chose money over winning like so many others before him.  The Blues cant be discounted  I do not see the lightning winning 3 straight vs this team. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Oh so St Louis Blues Cup was just a fluke huh?  And so far they have given the Avs the better fight.  The Blues could have taken down your boys.  I wish that were the matchup.  Almost was.  The Blues won the Cup in Boston.  Not easy.  They did it. Of course they had Pietrangelo who bailed for the God almighty buck.  Chose money over winning like so many others before him.  The Blues cant be discounted  I do not see the lightning winning 3 straight vs this team. 

I have never understood the pro athlete on a really good team making more money than he will ever spend leaving for more money. 
For me winning would trump money if I already was getting pretty good pay. 

43 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I have never understood the pro athlete on a really good team making more money than he will ever spend leaving for more money. 
For me winning would trump money if I already was getting pretty good pay. 

I totally agree, but this is the new mindset.  This is not the 50s or 60s.  Its a post free agency, George Steiinbrenner world.

Well the Stanley Cup is in the building tonight and if anyone remembers those Carolina fans wearing the Hartford Whalers jerseys, tonight it would be far more appropriate for some to wear the jerseys of the Quebec Nordiques.  You know, just in case our Fruit girls team does not rally to win.  

7 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

What the HELL are you even talking about!? 😄

• Good Post 1

Interesting, that no one at our forum predicted Colorado win in 5 games. Probably it will happen tonight. Avs is too offensively minded team to withstand strong against them. Tampa should not let the game to go to OT in game #1 and game#4, which is practically the dominant way to win for Avs. I agree. It is too difficult for Lightning to win 3 games in a row, but everything is possible. Still Vasilevsky for me was a hero to play entire playoffs season in comparison to Avs which were consistently replacing their goalies during the games and during the series.  Offence success was the main key in their wins.  

Well, in just about every aspect, I would say Colorado "won" the first period.
I thought they dictated the pace, looked more dangerous in general, and were great on the PK.

However, Vasilevskiy did some Vasilevskiy things in net and the TB skaters did just enough to help him out, kept the Avs off the scoreboard, while managing to put one past Kuemper giving TB the win in the most important category: the scoreboard.

If the Bolts can find ways to drive the net more, I think they can get similar goals vs. Kuemper.
TB now will have to watch their manners on the ice as they got a number of PP's, and the refs, of course, will look to 'even the chances' on anything borderline.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Man, Vasy needed to snag that one....and he knew it.
It happens. You just don't want it happening in the Finals while you're down 3 games to 1.

And now gotta kill the penalty.

If the Bolts even BREATHE wrong they are getting called after the PP time they got in the 1st

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1