2021-22 Stanley Cup Finals: Tampa Bay Lightning (Wales Champion) at Colorado Avalanche (Campbell Champion) - (COL WINS 4-2)

TBL vs COL  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Stanley Cup Champion: Beast of the East or Best of the West?

• 1-- Bolts in 4. Defending Champs blow the hype right the hell up and disappoint many Western fans, and irritate odds makers!
    • 2-- Bolts in 5. Series doesn't quite live up to the hype as TB makes short work of the Avs, only giving up one game due to Bolts' team bus running late...
    • 3-- Bolts in 6. Great series that sees a bit of everything, but the Lightning still show why they have been the best for the last three seasons...and why the Avs still need a bit more work.
    • 4-- Bolts in 7. Fantastic set that truly shows hockey can be a game of inches....and rulers and yardsticks favor the defending Champions who make it 3 in a row!
    • 5-- Avs in 4. Predators, Oilers....Lightning. Makes no difference to the powerful, hungry Avalanche. They sweep. New Champs.
    • 6-- Avs in 5. TB tries but finally finds a team that matches and exceeds them at every turn. Vasy steals a game, but that's it.
    • 7-- Avs in 6. Colorado grows by leaps n bounds even during this series, and dethrones the defending champions on their own ice!
    • 8-- Avs in 7. Epic set. New Champs crowned. Old Champs fall just shy of historical greatness. And all in front of the Denver home crowd!

This poll is closed to new votes

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Stanley Cup Finals: Tampa Bay Lightning (Wales Champion) at Colorado Avalanche (Campbell Champion) - (COL Leads 3-2)

A transformer blew nearby, I could hear it. Our power just blimped enough to shut my PC down.
I would've been pi$$ed if the power went out and it was going to OT.

TV loves the drama. 19K Av's fans paying thousands of $ for a seat thinking they were going to see the Cup hoisted before their very eyes.
Thrill of victory switches to the agony of defeat. :P
If the Av's win it in TB, It would be more fitting to transfer the title in front of the incumbant SC champ fans and watch them feel the same. 😈
That said, A game 7 would be really nice. 

Tampa Bay attempting the near-unprecedented.

Anybody wanna remember the last time a team won the Stanley Cup Final series from 1-3 down in games ?

Unless you’re really a geezer, like nonagenarian…you won’t recall seeing it.

1942: Toronto*over Detroit

*And yes that gets the asterisk since it was wartime so not exactly the best players available.  (And Toronto was down 0-3 in games, of course thus also down 1-3 since they came back to win.)

The NHL started best-of-7 in the Finals in 1939 (just before that Wack Job invaded Poland) so this is the only time 1-3 has been overcome.  

What a feat if the Bolts manage it now in 2022, 80 years later.

I remember the McDonough talking about 1942 thing and Game 2 being the 2nd biggest Stanley Cup Finals margin, ever. I laughed because I was there for the biggest. The Game 6 trouncing of Jon Casey and the North Stars 8-0 at the hands of Super Mario and the Pens in 1991. 

The Palat thickens in this series, now. To me, it felt like Brady had the ball for Tampa down by 3 (wins) and the Avs had scored too soon.

Now, it feels like Tampa has crossed the proverbial 50 and not far from GW FG range.

Colorado's will to compete is going to be heavily challenged in Game 6. Avs had lost only 3 games in the playoffs before tonight. They would have to equal that many in a row to lose the Cup. I do not believe the Avs are anywhere near as mentally tough as Tampa. I guess we'll see in Game 6. Been wrong a lot this SC playoffs. 

It feels like the tide has turned. Corey Perry with the big penalty notice. Thank God he noticed. Imagine if the Avs got another one with too many men. Cooper's head would've exploded. Really does feel that Tampa has Colorado right where they want them now. 

Curious to see if there is any carry over from Makar's in-game injury. Sometimes guys are worse after letting something rest opposed to playing on adrenaline through them. 

Will Point make it back for Game 6. Burakovsky? 

Lots of intrigue for this Game 6. Feels like a Game 7 to me, and if Tampa wins we get two of 'em. 

What a tight series. Two OT games, two blowouts, and a late goal in the 3rd for a narrow decision. 

Edited by 3 Palmateers

10 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

It's all the media's been talking about since Colorado won game 4.

Oh.  

(I don’t follow sports media all that much.  It figures somebody else noticed.)

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

FWEO4cYUcAEZXHh.thumb.jpg.8691a7214190b309010f99d1ae77b6a2.jpg

Tampa Bay are going to have to make yet another hard decision come the off season.
Ondrej Palat is an UFA, 31 yrs old L/R winger, and his expiring contract was a 5.3M cap hit. TB would LOVE to keep him on.
But...they also would like to keep Nick Paul whom they got from Ottawa. Paul, 27, a center/winger, also UFA, 1.35M cap hit, but should be getting a raise.

Each brings something to the Lightning they don't want to lose, but which do they go with? Maybe lose both? Would Paul take a minimal raise to stay with a Cup contender? Will Palat play for half as much to stay with a Cup contender?

Paul's versatility, younger age, larger frame, and offensive touch make him pretty good keep.... but Palat is engrained and bonded with this team, he isn't exactly old, does ALL the dirty work even when put in a top six role, and DAMN does he perform when it matters most!

Ideally, would like to keep both, but the cap says "NO", so one likely is gone...unless, like I hinted at, both take lesser contracts to stay on, even though both deserve to get paid for what they've done to this point, and what they could still do moving forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Tampa Bay are going to have to make yet another hard decision come the off season.
Ondrej Palat is an UFA, 31 yrs old L/R winger, and his expiring contract was a 5.3M cap hit. TB would LOVE to keep him on.
But...they also would like to keep Nick Paul whom they got from Ottawa. Paul, 27, a center/winger, also UFA, 1.35M cap hit, but should be getting a raise.

Each brings something to the Lightning they don't want to lose, but which do they go with? Maybe lose both? Would Paul take a minimal raise to stay with a Cup contender? Will Palat play for half as much to stay with a Cup contender?

Paul's versatility, younger age, larger frame, and offensive touch make him pretty good keep.... but Palat is engrained and bonded with this team, he isn't exactly old, does ALL the dirty work even when put in a top six role, and DAMN does he perform when it matters most!

Ideally, would like to keep both, but the cap says "NO", so one likely is gone...unless, like I hinted at, both take lesser contracts to stay on, even though both deserve to get paid for what they've done to this point, and what they could still do moving forward.

Or they play their LTIR game and run over the Cap. Again. 

41 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

Or they play their LTIR game and run over the Cap. Again. 

Well, you know, if they can actually do that again, make the playoffs and have another deep run, it just speaks to the continued depth of the their system.

The Lightning have learned very well how to operate within the rulesets the NHL has put forth, but more importantly, they have the kind of depth that can withstand LTIR'ing a key player then having them come back with the team still in prime position....and THAT is what usually irks some fans elsewhere, the fact that not just any team can afford to do such a thing and still be a contender.

But, that is neither here nor there with regards to Palat and/or Nick Paul.
Through it all, the Lightning continue to pay the price of the cap and one or both of these could be next on their bill.

If both players are willing to take discounted contracts to play with a winner, that would be ideal, but I wouldn't hold it against either if they want to get a nice payday (Nick Paul...who has yet to really get that big contract), or continue getting what he is worth (Palat, who still could command something in the 4-5M range).

Colorado head coach Jared Bednar told the media Andre Burakovsky is a "possibility" for Game 6.
Here is the link, but the quote by Bednar isn't all that insightful any PLAYER who hasn't been completely ruled out for series is a "possibility" to play in said series.

Andre Burakovsky Colorado Avalanche Stanley Cup Final Game 6 - TSN.ca

Just putting this here in case anyone was wondering about the Avs' forward....he is possible. About all we gonna get from the Colorado camp on that.

If he does come back, that would make the Avs' roster pretty much complete with regards to players of consequence, outside of Samuel Girard, whom I believe IS ruled out for the rest of the series.

2 hours ago, NHL HHOF said:

If they make that call they would need to call too many men on the ice 75% of the time. 
If you want that call made, paint a box on the ice outside of the bench and have every player coming on and going off have to tag out like pro wrestling. 

1 hour ago, Tomdog said:

If they make that call they would need to call too many men on the ice 75% of the time. 
If you want that call made, paint a box on the ice outside of the bench and have every player coming on and going off have to tag out like pro wrestling. 

But it was too many men on the ice like he said.

And the guy who cheated onto the ice wouldn't have been there to take the pass had he abided by the rules.

I get it terrible non call.

However I have no dog in the fight.

But painting a square on the ice still won't prevent someone from leaving to soon.

The refs just have to make that call.

They missed it. It happens.