TORT Claim

CoachX

16 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Reading around the net...all signs indicate Torts is the guy 

Someone contact the Mayor's office and have him shut down the Walt Whitman

Not disputing your claim, but what I have seen on the internet is that both John Tortorella and Barry Trotz are finalist for the Flyers job. I have also seen that the Detroit Red Wings are set to hire John Tortorella. So really a lot is still up in the air it seems. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CoachX said:

Reading around the net...all signs indicate Torts is the guy 

Someone contact the Mayor's office and have him shut down the Walt Whitman

I suppose I shouldn't go browsing thread topics while hungry...

I clicked your title when I saw "TORT"....which is also short for 'tortilla' (how you say omelette in Spanish....yes, I am fluid 😄 ).
I was thinking this was off topic recipe thread.

Aaaanyways, yea, Torts (or Trotz for that matter) would bring some stability, badly needed on the Flyers...although, after seeing Bruce Cassidy fired and his name brought up, started to think HE might be a good choice, as he tends to keep a low profile, while still getting lots of mileage out of the players he coaches.

Then again, the Flyers are a pretty big project right now, Cassidy may not want that, especially after being used to a Bruins team always playing for the post season, plus, last I heard, Vegas was hot on his trail, so he may end up there.

But if it does end up being John Omelette...errr, Tortorella :bigteeth: , I expect there to be some sort of cleansing of the clubhouse (good thing), and some re-evaluation of attitudes of those that remain.
The front office will likely STILL be a thorn in the side of progress, but if anyone can come in, NOT be a "Yes Man" to any front office, "TORTS" is the guy!

That shelf life that he infamously has though........if he is hired, hopefully the Flyers will be set straight before the room starts to tune him out (or TORTS tunes up the next "Brooksie" type in Philly, and gets himself in trouble doing that!) :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain Lando said:

Not disputing your claim, but what I have seen on the internet is that both John Tortorella and Barry Trotz are finalist for the Flyers job. I have also seen that the Detroit Red Wings are set to hire John Tortorella. So really a lot is still up in the air it seems. 

If trotz doesnt take the job, its Torts'.

Doesn't matter.  Sorry, it just doesn't.

Ultimately still the same ownership and canker sores in the front office.

And I highly doubt they'll be patient for long with the offense-killers either Trotz or Tortilla will be.  What a cluster this will be.

• Like 1

Sure, here we talk about wanting to win. The Flyers fan base writ large want the Flyers to win a certain way.  The "Flyer" way.  We/i often blame the front office for a myopic, dated approach to team building, but they are doing exactly what they know what's left of their fan base wants.

Of course the front office caused this over the years with their own propaganda. It's the tail wagging the dog, and I'm no longer sure which is tail and which is dog.

Neither ownership nor fanbase will tolerate the defensive hockey for long.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Sure, here we talk about wanting to win. The Flyers fan base writ large want the Flyers to win a certain way.  The "Flyer" way.  We/i often blame the front office for a myopic, dated approach to team building, but they are doing exactly what they know what's left of their fan base wants.

Of course the front office caused this over the years with their own propaganda. It's the tail wagging the dog, and I'm no longer sure which is tail and which is dog.

...Unless they win.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Doesn't matter.  Sorry, it just doesn't.

Ultimately still the same ownership and canker sores in the front office.

And I highly doubt they'll be patient for long with the offense-killers either Trotz or Tortilla will be.  What a cluster this will be.

It does matter. Without dissecting all the hows, if the team starts winning, the flock will return 

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

...Unless they win.

Frankly, the buildup will take too long for them to trade-off on that possibility.

It's possible, of course, but we still have the same "architects," so I'm comfortable betting against.

The fanbase and management already showed its impatience with the Hextall buildup. The latter interfered and forced a stupid signing (JVR) among other things, and the fans grew restless and many walked.

There's not enough patience in either management or fanbase.  And the propaganda from the front office undermines any hope of patience from the fan base because they sell this "retool!" and "this dogs### should complete!" every season. And every season, a sizeable portion of the fanbase sucks it down because "this time the dogs### will be chocolate mousse!"  And then when it's not (because it never was) they walk from the team and others that remain turn on the coach, the captain, the goalie, etc.  and the cancer in the advisor wing of the building turn on the coach or the GM or both and rinse and repeat.

They do a terrible job of managing expectations--because they drink their own Kool aid--and then overreact when the unreasonable expectations are undermined by reality.

So, Torts and Trotz (in particular) will get more out of the roster than can reasonably be expected.   The dooming keyword here being "reasonably."

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's clearly the fault of the front office. 100%. The tune, and tone, will change if wins come, regardless of how they happen

Philly phans are Phickle

Edited by CoachX

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

It'll be Torts

Really don't want him.  I'll be good with Trotz, but I despise Torts.  I'm out if he's hired.  Hell, who am I kidding?  I'm already out.

But really, I can't stand Torts and cannot begin to comprehend the benefits of that hire.

• Like 2

All the fans want is winning. It doesn't matter who is behind the bench. If it is Torts, Trotz or someone else to get the team winning the fans will start going crazy for the team again. In the end it is all about the W's. 

A fan basically has two roles with a team. They either cheer on that team enthusiastically or the b#### about the team all the time. If the team is winning most of the time a fan is cheering and life is good. If there is always a##nine thing going on within the organization and the play on the ice is horrible then the fan is most likely b####ing all the time. It is the rite of the fan. 

Edited by Captain Lando
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

My point is that the Flyers WILL NOT GET TO THE WINNING and are sabotaged by an endless state of impatience caused by an endless looping exchange of false, bloated expectation followed by impatience because unrealistic bars and expectations have been set, causing Exodus and/or b###ing by an idiotic fan base who bought the nonsense being sold that "this time!" followed by management tearing down their faux great product and rinse repeat.

^^^^^ This x1000 ^^^^

The very definition of pure insanity and Catch-22 with this organization.  Until proven otherwise, I will not believe what this team / FO sells to us fans.  As the old adage goes ...Fool me once..shame on you / Fool me twice..shame on me / There will not be a 3rd time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:
1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

"It'll change if we're winning"

We won't win until we change.

And they won't change because they (the FO) is too damn stubborn and set in their collective ways trying to prove to the NHL that they know best..... when in fact they don't have a clue on how to run a NHL franchise in this era.

• Like 1

Maybe not with Chuck, but this franchise has won with the majority of this front office in place. And when that happened, there wasn't the threat of mass exodus of fans. I want this team to be watchable, entertaining and of course winning. I dont believe the current management is capable, but that isn't going to erode 54 years of me supporting this team. If they suck and are boring, I won't watch because I'm not entertained.  If they start playing well, I will be there.

The mere fact that many are here, in our fantastic forum, day after day, bitching an whining(myself included), shows the passion and dedication. Ive said before, I dont really care about the finances and contracts, and maybe I'm in that insanity fan vaporlock, but all I want is a watchable team to root for, even if it's just one season

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The mere fact that many are here, in our fantastic forum, day after day, bitching an whining(myself included), shows the passion and dedication. Ive said before, I dont really care about the finances and contracts, and maybe I'm in that insanity fan vaporlock, but all I want is a watchable team to root for, even if it's just one season

I really am not referencing anyone -- or most anyone -- on this forum, and certainly not you.   Although, you have a penchant for being a bit more optimistic than me (also describes Eeyore, btw).   

But watch the Flyers' twitter feeds or the fan Facebook page(s).  What I'm describing is the base at large -- I'm not claiming they're particularly knowledgeable, but they watch a buy merchandize, so they mean everything to ownership & management.

35 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Maybe not with Chuck, but this franchise has won with the majority of this front office in place

In a different era with different rules of operation.  

The Spanish Armada once won something, too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

So did the Dallas Cowboys 🤣🤣🤣🤣

It was already 20 years since the Flyers won when the Cowboys last won. It's been over 50 years since Philly won a cup. How is that "winning" with the current management? The Flyers actually stopped winning the day Holmgren became a fulltime member of Flyers. Fletcher has never won anything as a GM of either franchise. Christ, he can't even win a trade. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It was already 20 years since the Flyers won when the Cowboys last won. It's been over 50 years since Philly won a cup. How is that "winning" with the current management? The Flyers actually stopped winning the day Holmgren became a fulltime member of Flyers. Fletcher has never won anything as a GM of either franchise. Christ, he can't even win a trade. 

youre taking it out of context

47 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's been over 50 years since Philly won a cup..

I didn’t realize the exchange rate applied to years.  I thought it was only money. 🥷

it’s *only* been 47 years. 🤣

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Haha 1