TORT Claim

CoachX

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah that is who i would trust the guy who didn't play well under him.

FVa40y7WQAUC8Bw.jpg.5f20a448dd454fbda95af8953ab3501b.jpg

Guess we should ask JVR what he thought of Lavy before he was traded.

I know let's ask a disgruntled employee what he thought of his bosses....GTFO here.

Because Atkinson talking well about his new coach isn't enough anymore.

Folks don't want the inmates running the asylum but now that they get a hard nosed coach well he isn't a good fit either....i think the fan base is just a direct reflection of society as a whole and all it's issues....you just can't win for losing with anyone anymore these days.

Not even sure why the anyone under the Flyer umbrella gets out of bed anymore....this summer should be just down amazing here....dear gawd.

Well said.

I was thinking about the Laine situation. Most on this forum were totally against Laine coming to Philly and wanted nothing, NOTHING, to do with that guy. He was lazy and one dimensional. After we hired Tortis, Laine was one of the examples being used of how he stifles offensive players.

Additionally, there have been numerous discussions about how this franchise coddles players, and how coaches get axed in favor of them. This move, at least in theory, suggests a shift may be in place, and that players may find themselves being held accountable. But, because Torts can be a real "DICK", and people don't like that, the narrative changes to defend the precious-es.

its weird!

Oh, in the end, I suspect the Flyers find a major offensive star in the next four years, and Tortis will get axed because the lil pumkin gets his feelers hurt

• Good Post 3

Right now they will be in the evaluation part of this. It could take a whole year. And well it could be rough too.

There is a good bit of dead weight. Once some more of that is trimmed i expect he wins to start coming around.

There is also a lack of true top end skill. I think this could change soon if some of the guys like Foerster and Wisdoms come around and start showing promise on the Phantoms.

I think Torts will take over a roster with some good pieces to coach up and it starts there.

23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
86 Joel Farabee - 13 Kevin Hayes - 89 Cam Atkinson
49 Noah Cates - 48 Morgan Frost - 74 Owen Tippett
17 Zack MacEwen  - 21 Scott Laughton - 38 Patrick Brown

9 Ivan Provorov - 94 Ryan Ellis
6 Travis Sanheim - 70 Rasmus Ristolainen
45 Cam York - 47 Ronnie Attard
24 Nick Seeler 

79 Carter Hart
35 Ivan Fedotov

I'm good with this roster to start the season. Yes certainly not much changed from the following years end but a new coach with a new system may start to show positive results.

Give them a chance to sort the junk out and maybe start building some good experiences trying to climb the standings.

But i expect them to still more than likely miss the playoffs and finish somewhere between the 9th or 6th pick again.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think Torts will take over a roster with some good pieces to coach up and it starts there.

23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
86 Joel Farabee - 13 Kevin Hayes - 89 Cam Atkinson
49 Noah Cates - 48 Morgan Frost - 74 Owen Tippett
17 Zack MacEwen  - 21 Scott Laughton - 38 Patrick Brown

at the risk of being skewered here (becasue none of my other POV irritate anyone), I'm kinda past Lindblom being an asset for the Flyers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Oh, in the end, I suspect the Flyers find a major offensive star in the next four years, and Tortis will get axed because the lil pumkin gets his feelers hurt

I can too.

Because what is the hardest part for any player especially a young one to do is - what should i be doing away from the puck, what is my defensive assignment to help us get the puck back is the hardest part to grasp what changes depending on the which end i am in....fore checking and back checking is the unsung duty man don't want.

Many only want to have the puck on their stick so they can make sports center with a highlight.

But the dirty work not many want a part of - hence the term dirty work it is usually hard and well doesn't make the highlight clip.

But here is a perfect example of someone not getting much glory but he creates the turnover and helps get it to the guy who scores.

Valeri Nichushkin does the heavy lifting. But someone has to play defense and help get the puck back. But Burakovsky gets the glory. Who cares the W is all that matters.

The Avs are a great team to model your club after in fact both teams are great examples.

Both teams were built different ways. But at the end of the day players executing and playing within their system is what wins games. Everyone rowing. These teams don't have a JVR, Hayes or Risto on them.

That is on the GM to identify and fix - not the coach all he can do is set his lineup. 

I hope the new coach and GM can work together to ice the best lineup. We'll see.

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

at the risk of being skewered here (becasue none of my other POV irritate anyone), I'm kinda past Lindblom being an asset for the Flyers

Sure i get it but he was playing the best hockey we have seen since his cancer issues towards the end of the year. He just wasn't finding the net.

So the best i had ever seen him playing was on this line with Coots and TK before the world stopped.

So for the start i would try and see if they can rekindle this but i also expect Torts to find his own line combos he likes and well the lineup is interchangeable, i was just trying to lay out a lineup and how i saw next season starting.

Sort of put the players out in a lineup think of it in pencil it is all subject to change.

Just showing also i don't expect anything drastic especially with limited funds thanks to Chuck.

Plus gives all the kids to maybe work on their game in the AHL and maybe finally make the damn playoffs down there if not Lappy needs to go after next season for sure.

Start here and get to trimming...for example i could see Oskar being moved to a team his best friend might be on maybe where ever Hagg ends up signing with. Just an example nothing more.

And there could be big changes coming i mean we heard aggressive retool being thrown around s o we wait....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I'm kinda past Lindblom being an asset for the Flyers

The statistics back your claim.

He was not good last season.

Horrible PR move to buy him our or whatever, but, I don't know if he'll get back on the trajectory he was on prior to his cancer diagnosis.

He could be a good 4th line player, but he can't be making 3m aav doing it. At least not now. 

I say ride it out with him this season, and if he plays well sign him for less $ - problem solved.

I agree- I don't think he's top 6 material any longer. 

I would love to be wrong about that thought. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vis said:

If he can help players become the best versions of themselves, teach them how to consistently play hard with good habits, install some organizational identity AND all of that carries over to the next coach/regime (and there will be a next coach/regime before a Cup is a reasonable possibility), then to me that’s a success.  In a way, I view Torts as a transitional coach.  Kind of like a Chief Restructuring Officer.  His job is to turn this team in the right direction after hitting rock bottom.  He may stick around as CEO or at least will have this team set up the right way for the next CEO.  

Agreed, Torts is coming in to kick some asses and hold these players accountable for their play which isn't a bad thing. If things go off the rail next season at least the post game press conferences will be fun to watch with Torts. So what's the odds Fletcher trades the 5th overall pick for a quick fix.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah that is who i would trust the guy who didn't play well under him.

FVa40y7WQAUC8Bw.jpg.5f20a448dd454fbda95af8953ab3501b.jpg

Guess we should ask JVR what he thought of Lavy before he was traded.

I know let's ask a disgruntled employee what he thought of his bosses....GTFO here.

Because Atkinson talking well about his new coach isn't enough anymore.

Folks don't want the inmates running the asylum but now that they get a hard nosed coach well he isn't a good fit either....i think the fan base is just a direct reflection of society as a whole and all it's issues....you just can't win for losing with anyone anymore these days.

Not even sure why the anyone under the Flyer umbrella gets out of bed anymore....this summer should be just down amazing here....dear gawd.

Settle down, Bevis. I just thought the tweet was funny. I'm one of the ones that kind of likes the Torts move, but I'm feeling icky being on the same side as CoachX for once.

You seem irrationally invested in this team so I can see why you are always lurching from move to move as the one that is going to save them.

Fletch needs to fix this train wrack of a roster first. It's like keeping firing mechanics, one after another, after they fail to make a car without any workable parts run. This organization is so dysfunctional that it's not even funny anymore.

Edited by Mad Dog

2 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Fletch needs to fix this train wrack of a roster first. It's like keeping firing mechanics, one after another, after they fail to make a car without any workable parts run. This organization is so dysfunctional that it's not even funny anymore.

Honestly, Fletch HIMSELF may need to be "fixed".

But barring a quick change to the GM seat, I think the best thing Fletcher can do in this situation, having the kind of coach Tortorella is, would be to sit down with the new head coach, find out exactly what the coach requires with regards to personnel, do the best he can to get him what he wants, while still adding in, from the GM perspective, what HE wants Torts to accomplish.

I know, I know...easier said than done...plus, does Fletcher have the acumen to see things that deeply?
Will his pride allow his GM self to ask the 'lowly' coach what he requires?
Will Fletcher be able to accurately and directly relate to Torts what the front office wants out of him if he were to get him the personnel he wants?

Those and a ton of other questions will be answered along the way and will either soften some Flyer fans' stance on this hiring, or exasperate the frustration further.
Ball is in Fletch's court now.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 3

26 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

. I'm one of the ones that kind of likes the Torts move, but I'm feeling icky being on the same side as CoachX for once.

That's funny schidt right there. :hehe:

Cheers :cheers:

Edited by CoachX

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Honestly, Fletch HIMSELF may need to be "fixed".

But barring a quick change to the GM seat, I think the best thing Fletcher can do in this situation, having the kind of coach Tortorella is, would be to sit down with the new head coach, find out exactly what the coach requires with regards to personnel, do the best he can to get him what he wants, while still adding in, from the GM perspective, what HE wants Torts to accomplish.

I know, I know...easier said than done...plus, does Fletcher have the acumen to see things that deeply?
Will his pride allow his GM self to ask the 'lowly' coach what he requires?
Will Fletcher be able to accurately and directly relate to Torts what the front office wants out of him if he were to get him the personnel he wants?

Those and a ton of other questions will be answered along the way and will either soften some Flyer fans' stance on this hiring, or exasperate the frustration further.
Ball is in Fletch's court now.

This would look like a logical plan on the surface except for the fact that it's the Flyers we are talking. This roster is beyond patching, which would qualify as a long-term project. And the Flyers don't really have a good track records with long-term projects. Plus, I don't think Torts is the type of coach who fits well into a rebuilding mold (if he Flyers even decide to go that route). 

Edited by Mad Dog