TORT Claim

CoachX

55 minutes ago, Captain Lando said:

I agree that Trotz is going somewhere else. My question though was would as a fan of the Flyers would you like to see Cassidy interviewed and what do you think he could bring to the team that may be a Torts could not?

Honestly, I don't know anything about Cassidy. From what Ive read, hes a helluva coach. If he was brought in, I wouldnt be unhappy. Differences between him and Torts? I dunno

I just know, if it is Torts, it''ll be interesting. I think the team will get better. I don't know why a franchise, that seems to want "yes" men, would hire a "Fck YOU" coach. Could times be a changing?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

then hoping you get bailed out (whether by the cap going up or the player outperforming his previous production) is going to put that team behind other teams that don’t do that as much when all teams are capped and have limited amounts to spend.

I don't think the GM was expecting failure.

Very few people outside of the scientific community make decisions and expect failure.

Figuring out what to do with an underperforming over paid player wasn't the first thing on their mind when they made this deal.

They were expecting the "best" outcome.

Like I said a wrong decision feels the same as the right one, until it isn't.

Edited by mojo1917

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Like I said a wrong decision feels the same as the right one, until it isn't.

Found this out the hard way...marriages 1,2,3

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Lando said:

One name I am not seeing mentioned here is Bruce Cassidy. 

Probably because he was too busy being wooed by Vegas and their higher standing on the current competitive scale.
There was a story that broke just today, I believe, that has him now the new bench boss of the Knights.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Probably because he was too busy being wooed by Vegas and their higher standing on the current competitive scale.
There was a story that broke just today, I believe, that has him now the new bench boss of the Knights.

I sure hope Vegas keeps him for more than just a few years like they seem to have done with the first two head coaches. 

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

That means Trotz might still be in play

So I'm reading Cassidy to Vegas, Tortorella to the Flyers. Haven't read anything official though. 

This only works if management agrees to move out all the guys Tortorella doesn't like, all the quitters. If they do that, it might work. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

It’s not like the Flyers’ cap stayed the same while all the other teams’ caps went up.  They all have the same amount to spend - don’t spend it foolishly and you should be in a better spot than teams that do!

And to this point I'll say wtf were they thinking signing Ristolainen for all that money?

All the unknowns of Hayes signing time peroid are now "known". That contract shows either stubbornness or cognitive impairment. 

the Hayes signing wasn't great,  the Ristolainen signing is kind of embarrassing.

• Like 3

NBC sports is reporting that the Flyers are offering Tortis a contract.  Im on board with this guy. I dont care about his brash personality. This team needs a foot in the a$$

This is just a hope...A HOPE PEOPLE!.... if they sign a guy with this reputation and style, I hope they keep their noses out of his business and let him do his thing. Im HOPING this is an indication that management is finally going to go in another direction, one that holds players accountable. 

Now go out get players who can perform for a coach like this and jettison the wussies....I see you JVR

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

NBC sports is reporting that the Flyers are offering Tortis a contract.  Im on board with this guy. I dont care about his brash personality. This team needs a foot in the a$$

This is just a hope...A HOPE PEOPLE!.... if they sign a guy with this reputation and style, I hope they keep their noses out of his business and let him do his thing. Im HOPING this is an indication that management is finally going to go in another direction, one that holds players accountable. 

Now go out get players who can perform for a coach like this and jettison the wussies....I see you JVR

same here, i cant wait to see who gets moved, honestly everyone is on the table, i dont care who gets moved right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

same here, i cant wait to see who gets moved, honestly everyone is on the table, i dont care who gets moved right now.

You know, this is really a good point. There isn't a player on the current roster that matters to me. I havent seen enough of the young guys to have an opinion, and all the veterans are only capable of reaching "good" status. 

Change is a good thing

• Like 1

Weekes is currently one of the best plugged-in media guy and has never been mistaken in his previous posts. So consider it a done deal, Tortorella is your guy to kick some àsses.

• Like 1

@FireDillabaugh I had to go and search for what I said when the Hayes contract was signed:

"Skinner's contract is a veritable thrift store bargain compared to that of Kevin Hayes. Within days of getting out from under the weight of Andrew MacDonald, the Flyers signed up for the same pain a few years down the line with this deal."

and

"I'm not crapping on Hayes. He IS a good player, but the grass IS greener. It requires glasses with the deepest shade of orange you can find to see it any other way."

Oof

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

And to this point I'll say wtf were they thinking signing Ristolainen for all that money?

They LIKE Ristolainen.

They think he's a good hockey player.

No, seriously.

But I'm sure they'll come up with the way to fix this.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder who will "want out" now?

It isn't like there are a bunch of Artemi Panarins on the roster. 

So maybe these middle talent guys buy-in?

I hope, omg, I hope Torts is in the papers talking about Hayes being clocked with a calendar, and JvR needing to drop the Kraft Jet-Puffed endorsement. 

The team may suck but the "show" could be super fun, in the worst reality TV way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The team may suck but the "show" could be super fun, in the worst reality TV way.

Maybe this is the problem for me. I've never really liked trainwreck style reality TV shows, and I absolutely think that's 100% what Torts will bring to this team. He's done that everywhere he's gone, several of which were actually with some better rosters than what he'll have to work with here. 

Honestly, this makes me far less interested in next season. I imagine I'll tune in to start the season, but I can see myself getting fed up with the antics pretty quickly and just disengaging by xmas. Bringing in an actual good coach might have made me perk up for longer -- I was interested when they brought AV -- but a guy like Torts just screams garbage hockey to me, and I'm not sure I'm very interested. 

I'm sure some will enjoy him in front of a mic, as some folks seem to enjoy watching that sort of thing, but that's not me. Time to hibernate for a season or two while the storm passes I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

Bringing in an actual good coach might have made me perk up for longer -- I was interested when they brought AV -- but a guy like Torts just screams garbage hockey to me, and I'm not sure I'm very interested.

really? objectively, you are saying the guy can't coach?

:dizzysmiley-1:

8 minutes ago, CoachX said:

really? objectively, you are saying the guy can't coach?

:dizzysmiley-1:

Yes? His best years were when he lucked out coaching a stacked Bolts team, and he's been riding that success ever since. I didn't think that was a big secret. There's a good reason why he's interviewing for this position and not as HC of a contender or high potential team right now.

More importantly though, he's a placeholder coach, which would be true of pretty much any coach. I think someone like Trotz or maybe Cassidy (though his body of work is a lot shorter) could have possibly laid the groundwork for better seasons down the line, which is probably the best case scenario for this team right now. I don't have that same confidence in Tortorella. All he's going to do is act like a child, pull some tantrums for a couple seasons, and he'll be out the door. That's just what he does.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

This s*it show, won't even last a full season. Torts is not the right head coach for this franchise. He will (a) divide the room, (b) call out players in the media and (c) will kill, or at the very least.. severely injure the confidence of many of these young players. The Three Stooges have no idea how to run an NHL franchise. Now, they have a Shemp. Congrats, morons. Go Avs!

• Like 1

Great...they hand the reigns over to an incompetent GM who then builds the team around a player I can't stand and his buddies, then bring in one of the dumbest players to ever play for the Flyers (and that's saying a lot) and sign him long term and now they're hiring a coach I can't stand. Perfect. 

Sometimes I wonder if there's a camera on me and I'm just being punked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

At the very least, his press conferences with the Philly media will be must-see TV. And can you imagine him getting into it with some of the knuckleheads on WIP?

Tortorella replace AV in Vancouver over 10 years ago and guess what happened, he lasted one year. The same thing will occur here. After next season and another top 5 pick, Fletcher and Tortorella will be gone.

So assuming Torts does indeed come here ....who gets canned first .... Chuckles or Torts? over/under in terms of months?

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

At the very least, his press conferences with the Philly media will be must-see TV. And can you imagine him getting into it with some of the knuckleheads on WIP?

Tortorella replace AV in Vancouver over 10 years ago and guess what happened, he lasted one year. The same thing will occur here. After next season and another top 5 pick, Fletcher and Tortorella will be gone.

So assuming Torts does indeed come here ....who gets canned first .... Chuckles or Torts? over/under in terms of months?

I know Torts is kinda like Keenan, he's a maniac but he gets results.  I'm just wondering,  has he mellowed enough to where he will be more reasonable? Is he the kind of coach who will bench the young guys for making a mistake. Will he stifle the development of a guy who has offensive skill by trying to turn him into a defensive player.

Remember in Montreal  when Caufield was not scoring, he was benched alot and sent down by a hard ass coach. As soon as they got a coach who let him play his game, he scored big time. This is a pivotal season for a guy like Frost where he will blossom or bust. I hope Torts will help our young guys take the next step in development  but I'm worried he may ruin the already fragile confidence of this team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I've never really liked trainwreck style reality TV shows, and I absolutely think that's 100% what Torts will bring to this team. He's done that everywhere he's gone, several of which were actually with some better rosters than what he'll have to work with here. 

I hate reality TV too.

But I would like the hockey team I cheer for to be entertaining.

In lieu of being good I'll take sideshow for little.

If it miraculously turns into a good thing, it may, that's great. And if I'm going to be honest, I'd like to see that happen.

However,

If it brings about the end of the mediocre hockey led by guys that aren't very good at 21st century hockey...even better.

A glorious, swinger's party, on a fiery Viking funeral barge, where bears end up killing and eating everything; ending would be just the thing to keep me interested. (are the bears too much?)

Anything would be better than the team's showing last season.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1