TORT Claim

CoachX

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Love him or hate him...Torts is now your guy and Flyer hockey will still have its headaches starting out, but should NOT be boring.
Let the expletives begin...

okay...GFY! :CelebratingSmiley2:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

So what you’re saying is when Torts is gone the Flyers will be two years away from being two years away?  Got it!🤣

nail meet hammer

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I wanted Jim Montgomery.

He had a good run and this team in the past has been good to people recovering from addictions.  I don’t know enough about his coaching acumen, but Tortorella does have a longer track record.  I also wonder if Comcast wanted no parts of him because of his history.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I've been on the Benoit Groulx bandwagon for the longest of time.

I’ve seen his name mentioned but still wonder why he hasn’t won a job.  Rarely identified as a top choice candidate. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 7:17 AM, pilldoc said:

^^^^^ This x1000 ^^^^

The very definition of pure insanity and Catch-22 with this organization.  Until proven otherwise, I will not believe what this team / FO sells to us fans.  As the old adage goes ...Fool me once..shame on you / Fool me twice..shame on me / There will not be a 3rd time.

🥺 but two years away 

Edited by Cheesesteak
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

Interesting read. Torts isn't Fletchers choice. So it must be good choice. 

Flyers to Hire John Tortorella as Next Head Coach - Crossing Broad

Ha!  

Guess he can’t be blamed if things go south with Torts.  Wonder what this means for Fletcher, though.  Seems he is being a bit undermined here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vis said:

Ha!  

Guess he can’t be blamed if things go south with Torts.  Wonder what this means for Fletcher, though.  Seems he is being a bit undermined here.

Maybe if were lucky he'll be so mad that he will quit before the draft.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vis said:

Ha!  

Why should he be left out....somewhere AV is singing "how you like me now"?

31 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

Interesting read. Torts isn't Fletchers choice. So it must be good choice. 

Flyers to Hire John Tortorella as Next Head Coach - Crossing Broad

I love this story. It read like Davey Scott told Bobby, Paul and Chuckie to "shut up and color, I'll handle this"

• Like 2

Just now, vis said:

Honestly, his picks aren’t the issue I don’t think.  His FA signings, particularly resigning Ristolainen, are puzzling.  

For the record, Fletcher does nothing for me.  He’s a boring, uninspiring vessel who doesn’t come off as having vision or a thoughtful approach. 

Pretty fair assessment of Chuck Fletcher.

In Minnesota, he was viewed in much the same way. Always with the "safe" (or seemingly safe) picks and signings....and yes, some of his signings had Wild fans scratching their heads.

Definitely not the type of guy to take big chances, tries to stay withing the status quo....and if that status quo is "alright" (like it was in Minnesota), then his teams fall squarely into the "good but not good enough" territory.....but if the status quo is awful, like it currently is in Philadelphia, he is exposed even more and the team ends up a complete trainwreck.

• Good Post 1

12 minutes ago, vis said:

Honestly, his picks aren’t the issue I don’t think.  His FA signings, particularly resigning Ristolainen, are puzzling.  

For the record, Fletcher does nothing for me.  He’s a boring, uninspiring vessel who doesn’t come off as having vision or a thoughtful approach. 

One thing for sure Torts is going to want a certain type of line up. Will Fletcher be able to get him that? I just don't think so. Doesn't seem like the type of guy that thinks outside the box. As of right now I would be fine if they handed over the GM job to Briere. He seems to have a handle on todays NHL.

Edited by albertaflyer
  • Like 2

I would imagine the Tortorella contract probably comes down to a disagreement over term and possibly control over personnel decisions. Maybe that's why Fletcher is not on board as well. I imagine Torts won't sign on for a short term deal where he'll just get sacrificed in a year or two as the next scapegoat. He wants a commitment to whatever vision he has for the team. 

I wouldn't fault him for that either. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Not sure why a longer term contract would keep that from happening.  If Tortorella is here for a third season, no matter how many years he gets on his contract, it would be a HUGE surprise.

This. Completely this.

I think a lot of coaches would have issues making the their third year here -- or finishing the third.  But for me, Torts is a ridiculously bad hire.

29 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Why?

The question is actually "why is he a good hire?"

Because he won a Cup 18 years ago? And nothing since?  Even with a world class goalie and a pretty good team?

Because at his last stop he had players like Panarin, Bobrovsky, Dubois and others running for the exits?

Because under him players like Seth Jones regressed? Badly?

Because he won a round against Tampa but very little else?

Because he acts like a complete and utter ahole without the balance of any success?

I fall to see the argument.

He will crush any offense. In Philly's case, it's not a huge thing since we don't have any, but any improvement we saw in Sanheim, for example, is about to die a horrible death.   Because it will be Torts archaic idiocy or nothing.  Same goes for Cam York.  

This is a front office who is stuck in some exaggeration of the past hiring a coach whose value died in the past.  Great call here.

Hopefully that answers it, but I have heard no pro argument that isn't pure and utter fantasy, propaganda bull####.

He'll take the outbound Vigneault express in two years.  And unless there is a purge of the front office or divine intervention brings about the sale of the team, we'll all be arguing about the washed up has been du jour.

I can't stand Boudreau, either, but I'd prefer it.  

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 4