Official John Tortorella (Torts) offcially named as Flyers new Head Coach

pilldoc

John Tortorella name new Flyers Head Coach  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Simple Question ..... Do you approve of John Tortorella being name as Flyers Head Coach?

• Yes ...I back the Flyers 100%. This is the coach this team needs.
    • No ... This team has too many other issues that Tortorella can't fix
    • Unsure .... ask me later

The presser reinforced what I already thought of Fletcher: corporate clown. He says the Flyers need the characteristics that Tortorella brings and when asked "what are they?" first thing he does is look down at his notes. He has to check his notes before he can answer, basically, "why did you hire this guy?" Maybe I'm making too much of it but it looked bad, like amateur-hour bad.

Tortorella sounded like pure genius after Fletcher. Tortorella impressed me more than I expected. He seemed to be honest, his answers were thoughtful when speaking about his own mistakes in the past...and I loved what he said about changing the way the Flyers play away from the puck. It was part of his reply to "what do you want the Flyers' identity to be?"

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The Flyers 2022-23 slogan: "We're on a Highway to Hell.

Call Angus and get the rights!!!

Make sure it's the version with Bon, No Live Brian Johnson, please and thank you.

The only drunk pirate I'd ever let yell at me.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

I like it. I watched the presser and I like what he said too. It's going to be fun and we will have fun watching the whiney babies get shipped out of town one by one. He's going to bring back Flyers hockey and Flyer pride!  Will it work in today's NHL no idea. We shall see, but it's going to be more fun than it was.

Really interested to see who he brings in as an assistant. Talked about wanting a guy who could talk to the offensive guys and run the PP. Who will that be? Clearly it's an area he recognizes isn't his strength so who he hires there will be very important. 

I liked what he said though about hard to play against, structure, team play. He recognizes he is demanding and some offensive guys are hard for him to connect with, but the idea that they just need to do a LITTLE of the dirty defensive stuff and they can be set free to be creative means maybe he's a better coach than he's been before, and before he's been pretty damn good. 

Just win baby. Just win. 

• Like 3

This Tortorella hiring, like any hiring the Flyers would have made at this point, let's be real, has its plus and minuses. It's all really going to come down to what kind of product you fans end up with on the ice.
Even a good product won't magically make anyone like Torts who didn't before, but I bet they would be able to look past and enjoy the team once again, despite Tortorella behind the bench.

If things go sideways and worsen (which honestly COULD happen given the current roster and front office), then would it really matter who is behind the bench?
If things go hella worse...

Trotz: "Bah...that's why teams keep letting him walk, he doesn't have what it takes to really fix something"
Tocchet: "Guy shouldn't be head coaching anywhere...his track record with the Lightning and Coyotes is abysmal!"
Briere: "He is in over his head!!"
Anyone else from the minors or college ranks: " Hakstol 2.0!"

One thing that did occur to me when Torts was officially announced and I saw some people bouncing off the walls...

I wonder is their is some subliminal dislike to the man at work here. Sure, his personality is grating at times, he has made some big mistakes earlier on in his career regarding players (but also RIGHT about others!) and the fact that he regularly spars with media, officials, and even attacks other head coaches can get old...

But from a Philly standpoint...again, speaking on perhaps a subconscious level....maybe there is some predisposition to not liking this guy after spending so much time hoping the man falls on his face?
He coached the Lightning way back when, won a Cup....and part of it was at the expense of the Flyers that year.

He then goes and coaches and helps rebuild a very tough, PITA to play against NY Rangers team who butted heads many times with the Flyers in the division, then after his ill fated stint with the Canucks, comes BACK into the Flyers' division, rival once again, coaching the Blue Jackets, who I am sure with their Torts'-like penchant for tough play, once again had Flyer fans rooting heartily against the team and their Fonzi-like head coach.

And now, after YEARS of rooting against that loud mouthed windbag, Happy Days reject...he is YOUR head coach!
I get it if those evil sublime forces are at work for some fans.

But on the flip side, if Flyer fans can recall every single thing that Coach Tortorella did for his teams against the O & B, and now remind themselves he will be doing THAT for them against the rest of the league, perhaps it helps a bit accept him more as the guy behind the bench, even if that doesn't necessarily translate to 'liking' the guy?

Of course, circling back...if things go sideways and Philly becomes an even bigger sideshow, none of that will matter and Torts will bear the full wrath of the Flyer fans I suspect like anyone else would sitting in that hot seat head coaching position on the team.

• Good Post 1

I watched one clip of Tortorella today and he said more truth in his one statement than what anyone in management has ever said. Tortorella said that this club isn't a Stanley Cup Covent and that it's going to take a lot of work to make them into one. Tortorella basically shot down Schmuck, Dave Scott and the rest of management in that one statement. Tortorella calls it like he sees it and he clearly sees what we all see. I can respect that. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Press conference was just more of the same cliches and propaganda speak to me. Very little originality to it at all.  Incredibly obvious that they were given scripts.  Could even see the marionette strings on Chuck.  Not that I expected anything else.  Just more of the same to try and appease the gullible among the fanbase, unfortunately.  Trying to sell some tickets to those who only see that shiny new toy, and not the reality of the situation and the mess that's only being made more messy.  Only seemed insulting to the passionate fans of the base.

It's always the same. Listening to any kind of press conference requires a lot more parsing of words than anything else.

• Like 2

They have a chance to make a new culture here.

For the first time I don't think they're bringing back Giroux (they're bringing back Giroux).

They keep harkening back to a past that's at LEAST a decade out of date.

If not a good 25 years.

The organization* needs to learn how to win as a HOCKEY TEAM in 2023 not as a "Flyers" team from 1974.

I actually like the Tortorella hire.  But I also liked the Vigneault hire.

The players need to play.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

They have a chance to make a new culture here.

For the first time I don't think they're bringing back Giroux (they're bringing back Giroux).

They keep harkening back to a past that's at LEAST a decade out of date.

If not a good 25 years.

The organization* needs to learn how to win as a HOCKEY TEAM in 2023 not as a "Flyers" team from 1974.

I actually like the Tortorella hire.  But I also liked the Vigneault hire.

The players need to play.

When the off season first started for Philadelphia, there was a thread somewhere where I chimed in the Flyers needed to first decide on an identity....what kind of team they wanted to be, then get the players and mindsets molded into that.

Well, looks like they've chosen an identity by hiring Torts.
Tough, no B^%$#@% style that basically gives the middle finger to everyone else that is opposing them that night.

Will the players buy in?
Can the ones that don't be moved?

As I am sure you are aware, pride goes a LONG way towards bonding a group of athletes together, and if Tortorella, by hook or crook, get the guys in that locker room to row in the same direction, play against other teams like the other guys took food off their tables, then the man certainly is serving his function.

Hey, I'm not gonna say it will work out the same way, but looking at your team from an outsiders' point of view, this hire in many ways reminds me of when the Bolts first brought in Torts, under clown ownership and management, and through all that, Torts got the guys to play his way, helped weed out the paycheck collectors, and the Bolts haven't looked back since as a viable contending franchise more years than not.
Of course, change in ownership and management while Torts was still there helped immensely as well.

Hoping you guys have a similar 'cleansing'.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Will the players buy in?
Can the ones that don't be moved?

The biggest $ issue is gone after this year and hopefully sooner.

But this isn't the year to make a Big Move.

Just isn't.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Another thing I liked about the presser was Tortorella seemed genuinely excited to be coaching the team. He remembers the building being full and electric and he wants to bring that back.

It may be a trivial little thing but to me it was I good to hear that enthusiasm. 

Good to see he seems up for the challenge.

Because that is exactly what it is a huge one.

Time will tell.

And as far as comments about Giorux coming back or not he has already stated he told his agent his top priority was resigning with Florida and if not he would go from there.

Time for a new Captain....

• Like 3

15 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Never been a Torts fan, but it could have been a lot worse. That's about as optimistic as you'll get from me at this stage. I'd bet he doesn't last the 4 years.

Same here. But particularly after seeing him in action up close and on the Columbus, Ohio (where I live) media outlets on a regular basis with the Blue Jackets. He'll lose the locker room and implode. As a Flyers fan, I was pretty happy when he was announced as coach of the Jackets, figuring they were going to get what they deserved. They had some success but it was sporadic and ultimately was not sustainable. He wore out his welcome quickly. I was hoping the Flyers would do better. He won't last. They need stability through yet another rebuild and I'm afraid they won't get it with this guy. Torts is his own biggest fan. If he can check or reign in his ego, it might be interesting to watch, and he may have some modicum of success. He's an arrogant prick, though.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

48 minutes ago, OH1FlyersFan said:

Same here. But particularly after seeing him in action up close and on the Columbus, Ohio (where I live) media outlets on a regular basis with the Blue Jackets. He'll lose the locker room and implode. As a Flyers fan, I was pretty happy when he was announced as coach of the Jackets, figuring they were going to get what they deserved. They had some success but it was sporadic and ultimately was not sustainable. He wore out his welcome quickly. I was hoping the Flyers would do better. He won't last. They need stability through yet another rebuild and I'm afraid they won't get it with this guy. Torts is his own biggest fan. If he can check or reign in his ego, it might be interesting to watch, and he may have some modicum of success. He's an arrogant prick, though.

This. Completely this.  That pretty much outlines my thoughts that I wasn't putting to print.

I'm simply horrified by the coaching choice -- about as much as I was horrified by the GM choice.

---------

Interestingly, I was horrified by the GM choice. There was clear and present track record upon which to base that horror.  I remember being told utter nonsense about "be positive,"  "give him a chance, it'll be different," "he hasn't even done anything here yet."

Wide-eyed, empty-headed garbage!   History is pre-amble, people!  It's frustrating as hell. I will NEVER understand how or why people can look at utter crap and with a straight face "it'll be different" OR (possibly worse) "crap is what we want!"  

No. Swallowed that down with chuckles here.  And what have we had?   The Wild redux.  Except at least the Wild had some veneer of fool's gold.  We have fool's horse#### that now has a pompous egomaniac narcissist to ride along into oblivion.

But hey, apparently nearly 50% of the country likes that for some inexplicable reason.

Torts was terrible in Columbus, I don't care what lipstick you put on the pig.

This is a damn nightmare.  Sorry if I'm ruining someone's day in the bunny and butterfly garden by inserting some fricken reality.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And as far as comments about Giorux coming back or not he has already stated he told his agent his top priority was resigning with Florida

Really tells you all you need to know about the Flyers' "aggressive retool" doesn't it?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This. Completely this.  That pretty much outlines my thoughts that I wasn't putting to print.

I'm simply horrified by the coaching choice -- about as much as I was horrified by the GM choice.

---------

Interestingly, I was horrified by the GM choice. There was clear and present track record upon which to base that horror.  I remember being told utter nonsense about "be positive,"  "give him a chance, it'll be different," "he hasn't even done anything here yet."

Wide-eyed, empty-headed garbage!   History is pre-amble, people!  It's frustrating as hell. I will NEVER understand how or why people can look at utter crap and with a straight face "it'll be different" OR (possibly worse) "crap is what we want!"  

No. Swallowed that down with chuckles here.  And what have we had?   The Wild redux.  Except at least the Wild had some veneer of fool's gold.  We have fool's horse#### that now has a pompous egomaniac narcissist to ride along into oblivion.

But hey, apparently nearly 50% of the country likes that for some inexplicable reason.

Torts was terrible in Columbus, I don't care what lipstick you put on the pig.

This is a damn nightmare.  Sorry if I'm ruining someone's day in the bunny and butterfly garden by inserting some fricken reality.

what do you want in a coach? someone that's throwing parties at the bench like that's why the sens, sabres, coyotes are a train wreck, there's no accountability.  look at the teams that have won cups, that are all no nonsense coaches. im not expecting a cup right now but at least you try to install a winning culture that keeps this team winning every year until some luck comes around and we eventually get over the hump. it took tampa seven years to get over the hump, you have to be patient.

17 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

what do you want in a coach? someone that's throwing parties at the bench like that's why the sens, sabres, coyotes are a train wreck, there's no accountability.  look at the teams that have won cups, that are all no nonsense coaches. im not expecting a cup right now but at least you try to install a winning culture that keeps this team winning every year until some luck comes around and we eventually get over the hump. it took tampa seven years to get over the hump, you have to be patient.

Want to install a winning culture?  Start with a winner. Not a pompous ass with nothing to show for it in two decades.

I have no problem with accountability.  Get someone with something worth being held accountable to.

This accountability argument regarding Torts is stupid on its face. People act like the choice is Torts or parties.  Like all other coaches just throw parties.  I'm sure John Cooper's guys have kegges on the bench.  I'm not suggesting Cooper is an option  but the argument seems to be ALL choices but Torts lead to lack of accountability.  That's crap. It's just flat out an empty, stupid argument that kills brain cells in the reading of it.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Want to install a winning culture?  Start with a winner. Not a pompous ass with nothing to show for it in two decades.

I have no problem with accountability.  Get someone with something worth being held accountable to.

You talking about the coach or GM? Both?

• Like 1