Official John Tortorella (Torts) offcially named as Flyers new Head Coach

pilldoc

John Tortorella name new Flyers Head Coach  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Simple Question ..... Do you approve of John Tortorella being name as Flyers Head Coach?

• Yes ...I back the Flyers 100%. This is the coach this team needs.
    • No ... This team has too many other issues that Tortorella can't fix
    • Unsure .... ask me later

Torts will make this team just good enough to be a middling first round exit, or just miss the playoffs. Fletch will desperately sacrifice the future to save his job now. Until upper management takes on the ugly task of a FULL and unforgiving rebuild...we will be middle of the road crap. Fire everything, sell off everything...make the Phantoms the new Flyers and get competent scouts and A NEW GM...FOR GODS SAKE. Sadly, a lot of us won't live to see a legit, long term competitive team. TRUTH!!

• Like 3
  • Uggh... 1

6 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Torts will make this team just good enough to be a middling first round exit, or just miss the playoffs. Fletch will desperately sacrifice the future to save his job now. Until upper management takes on the ugly task of a FULL and unforgiving rebuild...we will be middle of the road crap. Fire everything, sell off everything...make the Phantoms the new Flyers and get competent scouts and A NEW GM...FOR GODS SAKE. Sadly, a lot of us won't live to see a legit, long term competitive team. TRUTH!!

You're preaching to the choir of the bus driver of the Fletcher lynch mob. With ya alllll the way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I disagree. 

The things I think that could work with this coaching hire are as follows. 

I have felt for about 4 or 5 years now that the team lacked an identity,  they didn't skate, they didn't hit, they were middling talent.

Torts will ice a team that will skate and they will hit , he can't fix the talent issue but the team will have an identity.

Listening to his interviews he talks about playing to a standard and how he wants his team to bond with each other and play doe one another.  He wants a gang....I'm good with that.

If these young guys, Farabee Tippett, Cates, York et al. Learn to play NHL hockey to the "standard" they can be the core or part of the core that gets built they'll be playing hard with skill and setting a tone.

I really think the coaching hire can be the beginning of the end of this morass the finds itself in.

I'll be happy to watch a team that skates and hits while it's being built.

Anything would be better than the last 2 seasons 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The things I think that could work with this coaching hire are as follows. 

I have felt for about 4 or 5 years now that the team lacked an identity,  they didn't skate, they didn't hit, they were middling talent.

Torts will ice a team that will skate and they will hit , he can't fix the talent issue but the team will have an identity.

Listening to his interviews he talks about playing to a standard and how he wants his team to bond with each other and play doe one another.  He wants a gang....I'm good with that.

If these young guys, Farabee Tippett, Cates, York et al. Learn to play NHL hockey to the "standard" they can be the core or part of the core that gets built they'll be playing hard with skill and setting a tone.

I really think the coaching hire can be the beginning of the end of this morass the finds itself in.

I'll be happy to watch a team that skates and hits while it's being built.

Anything would be better than the last 2 seasons 

I'm sorry, but most of this was Vigneault's resume.

Neither the problem nor the solution is at the coaching level, IMO.

Happy to be wrong

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm sorry, but most of this was Vigneault's resume.

Neither the problem nor the solution is at the coaching level, IMO.

Happy to be wrong

What do you think happened then?

Why didn't it work, did AV just quit giving a **** after COVID ?

Vigneault's teams weren't really know for playing physically.

The Rangers teams he coached all sagged to the middle of the ice and blocked a ton of shots.  They counter punched on offense and were boring to watch. I don't think his Vancouver teams played any differently than that either.  

Was AV actually a good coach or was he lucky to have two HOF goaltenders on two of his teams?

Not much about the other levels where there are issues real and imagined seems to be changing soon.

I think Fonzie can make the team competitive, it's a start.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Why didn't it work, did AV just quit giving a **** after COVID ?

Vigneault's teams weren't really know for playing physically.

The Rangers teams he coached all sagged to the middle of the ice and blocked a ton of shots.  They counter punched on offense and were boring to watch. I don't think his Vancouver teams played any differently than that either.  

Was AV actually a good coach or was he lucky to have two HOF goaltenders on two of his teams?

Not much about the other levels where there are issues real and imagined seems to be changing soon.

i guess because av was stepping in a good situation/culture with the rangers and canucks where they were competitive making the playoffs, no locker room issues every year when it came to us we werent like those teams.  when he av came here, he came in a situation where we were inconsistent, struggling to win games, not making the playoffs every year, major identity problem, i have to guess there's locker room problems as well. i guess dave scott thought av could get this team back to winning hockey which it did work for one year but i guess from the inconsistency, locker room problems, not making the playoffs every year, i think that losing culture was too much for av to overcome.

if this team had an identity, winning every year, didnt have any locker room issues, i think av could have taken them to a different level.

which is why they have to bring someone like torts since he knows how to win and they have to reconstruct the team's winning culture meaning some players have to be moved out for this to work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

if this team had an identity, winning every year, didnt have any locker room issues, i think av could have taken them to a different level.

which is why they have to bring someone like torts since he knows how to win and they have to reconstruct the team's winning culture meaning some players have to be moved out for this to work.

It seems like forever that we have been discussing the rosters having lockerroom problems. I immediately trace it back to the Carter/Richards era. It appeared that coaches took the fall at the behest of the player. I really believe Voracek and JVR where the catalyst for this under AV

I agree Torts will change that, at the very least. I said before, you don't bring in this guy if you plan on doing things the same way. Maybe the draft will be the first step. It seems pretty quiet in Flyerland right now. I think that's telling

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

It seems like forever that we have been discussing the rosters having lockerroom problems. I immediately trace it back to the Carter/Richards era. It appeared that coaches took the fall at the behest of the player. I really believe Voracek and JVR where the catalyst for this under AV

I agree Torts will change that, at the very least. I said before, you don't bring in this guy if you plan on doing things the same way. Maybe the draft will be the first step. It seems pretty quiet in Flyerland right now. I think that's telling

i think there's going to be difficult moves to be made because the culture of this lockerroom, whatever it is, i think we all have to be prepared, especially with torts here and also for sake for getting rid of cap space, so we can get some real talent in here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The team is being built around dumb lazy slow overpaid players?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure fast smart skilled players with heart usually gets better results.

• Like 2

Hayes lovers (haters :hyper:) check this out....

In a recent interview Torts said this, "

Q: How do you get players to buy into team defense, especially offensive-minded players, so they are not cheating in the offensive zone?

A: I think there’s ‘cheating’ and there’s, [the ability to] anticipate. It’s an anticipation skill. Some players don’t have it. Those offensive guys do. ... I’m going to get out of their way there. Coots [Sean Couturier] plays both ends of the ice. He’s a little bit different than Kevin [Hayes]. Kevin is going to learn that you’re going to have to do this stuff, too, away from the puck. And if people start seeing our top players doing that, the guys [whose] strength is playing away from the puck say, ‘You know what, they’re joining in with us."

Hmmm, sounds like a shot across the bow that reflects the opinion many posters here have. I wonder how Hayesey feels about this?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

And if not sit their ass on the bench or scratch them. The players must be held accountable.

If not then yes he will have very similar results. If he can get them to skate they can threaten for a playoff spot at best.

But knowing their luck they will only suck enough to draft somewhere along where they are drafting now.

Does Uncle Gary finally let Arizona win a lottery to help save the club and build an arena??

I think it is highly likely this time....if not who else needs some new stars Pissburgs star's are fading is it time to reward them again???

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Q: How do you get players to buy into team defense, especially offensive-minded players, so they are not cheating in the offensive zone?

A: I think there’s ‘cheating’ and there’s, [the ability to] anticipate. It’s an anticipation skill. Some players don’t have it. Those offensive guys do. ... I’m going to get out of their way there. Coots [Sean Couturier] plays both ends of the ice. He’s a little bit different than Kevin [Hayes]. Kevin is going to learn that you’re going to have to do this stuff, too, away from the puck. And if people start seeing our top players doing that, the guys [whose] strength is playing away from the puck say, ‘You know what, they’re joining in with us."

Hmmm, sounds like a shot across the bow that reflects the opinion many posters here have. I wonder how Hayesey feels about this?

I guess you can call it a shot across his bow. I call it being realistic on how to fix the issue.

You have to identify the weakness within the team and yes some will take it personal because it may single out a few but it isn't intended to exactly place blame as more as to identify the problem.

Identify the problem and then next do whatever it take to address the weakness and turn it into a strength.

It is the only way and it could require removing guys after you give them a chance to fix the issues and you have come to the conclusion that hey maybe they can't or worst case just aren't good enough to make a difference then well you have to find guys who can.

Not meant to single guys out but they have a team to run and they need the best players playing for one common goal doing what it takes to win games. I can see quiet a few feelings being hurt in the process.

This happens in the real world and well sports aren't any different. Goals is all that matter and keeping the puck out of your net as well. Success here will only be measured in wins.

It is the nature of the beast. No room for passengers....there will be blood.

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not meant to single guys out but they have a team to run and they need the best players playing for one common goal doing what it takes to win games. I can see quiet a few feelings being hurt in the process.

You make good points. The way I take it, Torts could've said the same thing without making a direct comparison between 2 players who are polar opposites

If you're not calling them out, why mention them by name?

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i will use this like in my house hold.

My wife gets pissed when we are addressing something say that is lost.

Like the TV remote. We have a little table always sitting by the couch. When i am not using the remote is leave it on the table.

When my wife uses it God knows where in the living room the remote could be.

Between the cushions on the counter in the kitchen or even in our bathroom even seen it in the garage - no lie.

But the first thing i always ask is who was last watching the TV (95%can already tell depending what is already on the TV).

And first thing and only thing she is worried about is "Why does that matter you are just trying to blame it on me!!!"

And i say no not the reason just trying to help eliminate where it could be. But the blame is all she cares about.

So yes i have to explain to her in order for me to address the problem we must first identify the problem. And well it usually points to her. But i tell her the only way i know how to fix it.

Stop taking it so personal and LEAVE THE GODDAMN remote on the table. And she never listens.

So i guess i need to scratch her.....next i have no option but to trade her or cut her...

Sounds like my house hold too! LOL!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Like the TV remote. We have a little table always sitting by the couch. When i am not using the remote is leave it on the table.

Between the cushions on the counter in the kitchen or even in our bathroom even seen it in the garage - no lie.

But the first thing i always ask is who was last watching the TV (95%can already tell depending what is already on the TV).

And first thing and only thing she is worried about is "Why does that matter you are just trying to blame it on me!!!"

And i say no not the reason just trying to help eliminate where it could be. But the blame is all she cares about.

So yes i have to explain to her in order for me to address the problem we must first identify the problem. And well it usually points to her. But i tell her the only way i know how to fix it.

Stop taking it so personal and LEAVE THE GODDAMN remote on the table. And she never listens.

So i guess i need to scratch her.....next i have no option but to trade her or cut her...

Dude, we are married to the same woman 😲

The only reason I post on here so often is because I can't find the frigggin clicker

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Welcome to marriage! 

About a month ago my wife rearranged the garage....it now takes me longer to find the tool I need than it takes to do the actual job.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

17 hours ago, CoachX said:

Here's an idea...how about NOT signing players who are lazy and refuse to backcheck on the previous TWO teams they were on to ridiculous contracts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Welcome to marriage! 

About a month ago my wife rearranged the garage....it now takes me longer to find the tool I need than it takes to do the actual job.

So funny. Been married 15 years.

She gets mad at me when I go somewhere in the house and start looking for something and when it isn't where it needs to be I just call her.

I don't have time to waste looking everywhere for it because most times she has found a new place and never told me.

And when she gets mad I just say if you are going to move stuff you need to let me know at least. She never does.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Here's an idea...how about NOT signing players who are lazy and refuse to backcheck on the previous TWO teams they were on to ridiculous contracts.

but that is using common sense… something this organization has list over the years…..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So funny. Been married 15 years.

She gets mad at me when I go somewhere in the house and start looking for something and when it isn't where it needs to be I just call her.

I don't have time to waste looking everywhere for it because most times she has found a new place and never told me.

And when she gets mad I just say if you are going to move stuff you need to let me know at least. She never does.

I'm soooooo tempted to one day completely rearrange everything in the kitchen....including putting some things she uses all the time in some obscure place in another room, just so she can have a taste of her own medicine. 

But I just can't be bothered.

• Haha 3
  • Good Post 1

I choose my wives like the Flyers choose UFA. I sign them when they are lazy and past their prime, and for a too long a term 

Lucky for me I'm a talented marriage GM, I off load the contract and move on before it's too late

• Like 1
  • Haha 3