Flyers 2022-23 Phantoms/Prospects info

pilldoc

Philadelphia Flyers drafted left winger Alex Bump in the fifth round last month, they noted he was the top high school player in Minnesota.

Turns out he was more than that.

USA Today this week named him the nation’s best prep player.

The 6-foot, 194-pound senior from Prior Lakes High had 83 points, including 48 goals, in 31 games last season. In addition, he scored 11 goals and collected 17 points in 27 games with the USHL’s Omaha Lancers.

The Philadelphia Flyers took him 133rd overall. McKeen’s Hockey ranked him 91st.

Scouts say that, in addition to his natural scoring ability, Bump has a physical side to his game and works the corners well.

Bump, 18, will spend another year on the junior level, then compete at the University of Vermont, the same school that produced one of the best left wingers in the Philadelphia Flyers’ history, John LeClair.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Ok found this on Bills feed.

The rescheduled 2022 IIHF Under-20 World Championship gets underway tomorrow in Edmonton. The Flyers organization has four prospects participating in the tournament.

Forwards Tyson Foerster and Elliot Desnoyers will play for Team Canada. Defenseman Emil Andrae will captain Sweden's Junior Crowns. Fellow blueliner Brian Zanetti will represent Switzerland.

Tuesday's games will feature Czechia (Czech Republic) vs Slovakia, Latvia vs. Finland and USA vs. Germany. The Flyers' prospects teams will see their first game action on Wednesday when Sweden plays Switzerland and Canada opposes Latvia.

A full Flyers-focused tournament preview -- player profiles, team schedules -- will run tomorrow on PhiladelphiaFlyers.com.

So alot of potential talent on display.

Good to see.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:47 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Elliot Desnoyers

I won't read too much into it -- since doing so almost always ends up in disappointment here in Flyerland -- but it's pretty fun to see a later round pick making a team like this. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Don't think much should be read into it, since Gaucher and Kidney are actually the centers among those final 5 forwards, and I doubt this will be the actual fourth line in the game tomorrow.

Sure but it's something at least. He's still on the team at all, which is uncommon for a late round pick. Canada isn't exactly hurting for highly talented juniors. The competition for those spots is fierce up and down the line up. Don't get me wrong, I don't think this guy is a saving grace for the team. But if he ends up even being a decent bottom sixer on the Flyers some day, that would be a nice change of pace for a 5th round pick. We don't exactly have great success with our later draft picks... or, you know, early round picks.

I'm not looking for a plague elixir here. I'm just making a comment about something decent. Don't worry though! This team is still going to be digging a hole for several seasons yet. There will be plenty to gripe about. Feel free to keep the engine running.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Both Foerster and Desnoyers were pretty ineffective and basically invisible in this first game.  More should be expected from both when playing against competition like Latvia.

Well that isn't encouraging but not shocked at the youth today being lazy and going through the motions my wife tells me i need to calm down and it's the world in which we live in now.

Maybe the up their game with stiffer competition?? Can only hope.

I tried to add the NHL network yesterday to my Direct TV package but i had to go up a whole package and the cable bill was going to be like $22 more a month and the only channel i want in that package i wanted was NHL network so i didn't go with it. That is crazy we have to select a package and can't just pay for one channel. Scam.

Any way no hockey for me.

Was nice to see Andrae play well.  Moved the puck fairly well.  Would like to see him get more shooting opportunities.  A big plus to his game is the "C" on his chest among a roster of some pretty solid players and talent.

Would love to see this but good to read i hope the Flyers have a top 4 D man here when he is ready. He may make someone expendable soon.

He needs at leas one more year in SHL before he comes over to the AHL from what i have read.

It's strange that Zanetti, being one of their top pair on a team that struggles to score goals and has an absolutely awful power play, doesn't get more power play time on ice, if any at all. 

This kid is a stay at home type i thought?? Any way i'm think a kid who will more likely never make it to the NHL.

Thanks for the scouting report.

:cheers:

9 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

11 goals scored by Canada against Slovakia, and Foerster gets 1 assist.  Expected to see a much more determined game from him in this tournament, having a lot to prove after the injury he had.  Unfortunately, he looks more like a spectator than a player.  And Desnoyers was ineffective and pretty much invisible again.  He's obviously not doing much to impress the coaching staff to give him more ice time and opportunity.

Hell of a game from the Ducks 2021 1st round pick(#3), Mason McTavish.  And Joshua Roy looking much more comfortable and looking like a 2021 5th round steal by Montreal.

Slovakia better hope they get their act together on Friday against Latvia, and that their goaltending plays a lot better.

That does sound good for their chances then of even pushing hard for a spot on the Flyers then. Not sure what is up with those two.

Holding out hope they are saving themselves to impress the Flyers I know not a very good excuse but best I can do otherwise color me concerned...

9 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Hell of a game from the Ducks 2021 1st round pick(#3), Mason McTavish. 

Yeah they are building an arsenal...

The Ducks U22 cupboard is juiced.

• Zegras 21

• Drysdale 20

• McTavish 19

• Mintyukov 18

• Zellweger 18

• Perreault 20

• Clang 20

• Gaucher 18

🤦‍♂️

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah they are building an arsenal...

The Ducks U22 cupboard is juiced.

• Zegras 21

• Drysdale 20

• McTavish 19

• Mintyukov 18

• Zellweger 18

• Perreault 20

• Clang 20

• Gaucher 18

This is what happens when you trade old players for picks instead of trade picks for old players.

• Like 4

Foerster seems to be getting his timing back. I don't know what to expect from him because Schmuck already has him ear marked for Lehigh, which means he's going to get the Laperriere development path of checking, checking, checking. 

As for Desnoyers, that's too bad he's pissing away a great opportunity. 

Emil Andrae is the one guy I'm hyped about. I love his game. I have little faith though the Flyers will do him right and instead, they'll expect him to be a banger and masher and they'll coach the skill out of his game. He looks to be a real good defenseman though. He reminds me so much of Brian Rafalski.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 12:46 AM, FireDillabaugh said:

Having a scouting department that knows what they're doing also helps a bit.

My image of the Flyers scouting department ......  (matter of fact my image of the entire Flyers FO during the off season...)

image.jpeg.050b8bfbdf7ff1e843bb66e76afa23b7.jpeg

• Good Post 1

6 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He might not be happy with there not being a roster spot, with them at 23 of 23 already.  Unless there are some brain cells among the front office(highly doubtful), and there actually is a plan in place to waive Deslauriers and his ridiculous contract to make room for him.  Not sure how the LTIR status players affect the roster size.  Tried to find confirmation if they are still counted towards the roster total or not.  If they don't, then this isn't an issue.  Because, the writing has been on the wall since Ellis' "plan" press conference that he is certainly not going to play.  And, if that's the case, Allison probably doesn't like the contract amount and/or term.  Can't really blame him when seeing the idiotic contract that was thrown at Deslauriers, with MacEwen signed on top of that idiocy.

Would like to see Hogberg signed also.  Thought he played very well when called up and I think there's potential there if an injury happens.  To me, he's easily a better option than seeing Braun's or Seeler's mediocrity again.  They never should have even thought of bringing Braun back here.  Hogberg showed he's ready and should get the opportunity.  The plan should have been giving him that opportunity and finding a league minimum/two way contract AHL dman to fill the Lehigh spot.

And, not sure what the plan is with Hodgson.

Yeah it must be a head scratcher to him but best thing he can do is sign a deal like Laczynski maybe for two year and earn his way to the roster.

They could waive Nic or even Brown in my mind to make room for him it seems. But so thankful Chuck has painted them into a corner once again.

As far as Hogberg I forgot about him was only thinking forwards.

But if they don't sign Braun then there would be room for him too but nope they had to bring him back.

I thought Hogberg played well in the limited amount I saw of him which I admit was very limited. He didn't really stick out and for a defenseman that is a good thing.

Nothing flashy just kept it simple and handled the puck well.

This front office is it's own worst enemy.

Sometimes I think Chuck wants to be fired by the moves he has made.

Anyways Lappy should have a stacked team he can ruin this coming season.

2 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Allison has to show he isn't made of glass. So far that hasn't been the case. 

2nd-ed

He's earned absolutely nothing based on his 45 minutes of ice time in the last 3 years. 

That's an exaggeration of course, but buddy-man needs to play to get paid. 

So far that hasn't happened.

• Good Post 1

42 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

2nd-ed

He's earned absolutely nothing based on his 45 minutes of ice time in the last 3 years. 

That's an exaggeration of course, but buddy-man needs to play to get paid. 

So far that hasn't happened.

Yep the old saying you can't make the club in the tub rings clear here.

He has to know this.

Consistently being consistent should be his goal.

On wards and upwards.

:beer:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Does this kid only get one year in the SHL before coming to America???

I think so....time to start training on the smaller ice. Time will tell.

The problem is the brain trust in place. Andrae will probably do well in the SHL, he'll come over and Schmuck will think he'll need 'seasoning' at the AHL level. That means Laperriere will get to coach all the skill out of his game while dating that Andrae is learning how to be a pro. 

Honestly, and I'm in the minority, but if Andrae comes to North America, I hope Tortorella handles him. I get that Tortorella isn't popular with some, but Tortorella also helped Dan Boyle become a top notch defenseman and knew how to utilize a smaller player without him getting killed. 

Even then, if the Flyers tank out this year, I don't expect Schmuck to be around, but the drawback is not knowing who the Flyers would replace Schmuck with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The problem is the brain trust in place.

Not Listening Rachael Ray GIF by ABC Network

I have to think by then some movement in the front office has happened.

Otherwise i can only think about how bad it could get...

🙏

• Haha 1