Flyers 2022-23 Phantoms/Prospects info

pilldoc

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I can see where the Flyers could "not suck" in a few years.

A lot of young guys are on the scoresheet on this road trip. Farabee looked good, Tippet is driving play, Morgan Frost looks like an NHL player, Cam York looks good.

Cutter Gauthier has been good while playing the pivot at BC and doesn't look lost at the world jrs.

Bobby Brink could come back and drive play. I thought he looked a half click slow in his cup o' coffee last season, but he was around the puck in the scoring areas, just didn't have the good timing and chemistry with his teammates. It didn't seem like he was out of place in the NHL. 

It is not out of the realm of possibilities that some of these young guys could become decent NHL players.

Figure a top 8 (at the worst) draft pick this year and 2 1st rounders next year, if some things break well for the Flyers they might be scrappy underdogs with some upside before 2026.

Somewhere in there, there needs to be some higher end talent, I understand that. But there are some quality guys on the roster already who when they play hard are pretty good.

Ice a team that's solid like the recent NY Islanders teams that would be fun to watch. I don't have illusions of a cup run in 24 or anything, but there are nights where the team looks like they might not be too ******.

major leauge they're shtty.jpg

Gauthier looks like our most skilled first round pick in a long time. So many of our other draft  picks took very long to develop due to injuries and coaching incompetentence. I think he is ahead of the curve. I think he is far more advanced at his age than the our other guys were. 

Torts is really getting good results with the new young guys that you mentioned and even some of the guys who have been here a few years. Konecny is on his way to 30 goals, York is creating nice plays and Frost is showing some incredible shooting ability. Frost and York are working some good passing plays together. 

I wish we had a good coach for the dmen, Provorov still isn't back to playing how he did his earlier years and Sanheim should be more of an offensive force.

Risto and Hayes are a lost cause.

If we can get another potential first line player in this draft to go with Gauthier there might be some hope.

As you said it's hard to find superstars but if we build a balanced team with a combination skill,speed , some size and a hard working team we might be in the mix in a few years.

In the 87 Cup the Oilers top two centers were Gretzy and Messier,  who combined for 300 points,we had three guys.. Zezel ,Poulin and Sutter who combined for 140 points . On paper we should have been blown out. We weren't overly skilled but we played as a team and never quit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Ice a team that's solid like the recent NY Islanders teams that would be fun to watch.

And pretty much be exactly the same situation the Flyers were in for the past ten years - a middling bubble team looking to "make the playoff and anything can happen".

There's no question that there are "legitimate NHL players" in the Flyers' system. There are guys who can make an impact.

But the outline you describe has a terrifying aspect if they're just going to look at that and decide that "what they've been doing" has worked and they just need to do "it" more. I mean - "The Isles were in the Conference Finals two years ago!"

The team desperately needs the "high end talent" that you mention. Getting a bunch of "decent NHL players" is a start. The Isles have finished higher than 4th in the division once since 2015 and missed the playoffs three times in that stretch, including last year. They have not shown the ability to make the next jump either on the ice or on the roster and their cap situation isn't wonderful.

I think the Rags (or even the Debbies) might be a better model than the Isles. They need to make a move for a 28-year-old Artemi Panarin rather than a 28-year-old Kevin Hayes and look to maybe score on a 23-year-old Mika Zibanejad in a trade.

Unfortunately, the Flyers have typically been the ones giving up the 23-year-olds...

• Like 2

@radoran

I reckon I should have said it would be a good start.

Yes, I definitely don't want to say get competitive again and stop building.

The team building concept of the Islanders is more of what I was alluding to, have quality on all 4 lines and a good top 4 on the blue line. I think you're probably right about the Devils and Rangers being better situated right now. 

Guys on that Islanders team haven't "taken the next step" either. Mat Barzal is a "pull people out of their seat" player sometimes. He isn't that guy all the time, which is mystifying. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Provorov still isn't back to playing how he did his earlier years and Sanheim should be more of an offensive force.

I wonder if Provorov isn't burnt out ?

He's coming from Russia, moving away from home at 13 or 14 to play in Wilkes Barre PA for god's sakes. He was probably hanging out at the rink all the time until he was drafted to the NHL...  I wonder if he's over it, but still talented enough to be a top 4 guy in the NHL?  I don't think I try to build around him anymore. I think he'll be a good player even an all-star some years, but I don't think he's a lead dog.

I think Brad Shaw is a pretty good coach. I don't think in #9's case the problem is coaching, I think it's between the players ears. 

I think I see Sanheim making strides and being more assertive offensively, that's where I notice him most is on pinches and on the rush, he's playing with more offensive aggression.  6 has been much better than he was at the beginning of the season, I think that's probably coaching and being given the green light to make plays and not worry so much about making mistakes. 

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I reckon I should have said it would be a good start.

Yes, I definitely don't want to say get competitive again and stop building.

Right, but then is "building" adding Ellis, Atknison, and Ristolainen or are they actually building a team?

There is a foundation here to build upon, but it's the architect and the actual construction that are major open questions.

Again, the franchise thought of themselves as a playoff team this year. That's why they spent assets in a deep draft on DeAngelo. They weren't expecting to lose Couturier and Atkinson and they thought they were a bubble playoff team.

My fear is: They still think this is working.

Just a few tweaks, just need a retool, just fill next year's hole...

dragon chase GIF by South Park

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I wonder if Provorov isn't burnt out ?

He's coming from Russia, moving away from home at 13 or 14 to play in Wilkes Barre PA for god's sakes. He was probably hanging out at the rink all the time until he was drafted to the NHL...  I wonder if he's over it, but still talented enough to be a top 4 guy in the NHL?  I don't think I try to build around him anymore. I think he'll be a good player even an all-star some years, but I don't think he's a lead dog.

I think Brad Shaw is a pretty good coach. I don't think in #9's case the problem is coaching, I think it's between the players ears. 

I think I see Sanheim making strides and being more assertive offensively, that's where I notice him most is on pinches and on the rush, he's playing with more offensive aggression.  6 has been much better than he was at the beginning of the season, I think that's probably coaching and being given the green light to make plays and not worry so much about making mistakes. 

Yes , Sanheim has made some great passing plays, pinching in and joining the rush, etc, but when you see what an offensive dynamo he was in juniors, you hope he can do it more often. I understand he is weighed down by his partner, so he can't go too crazy offensively. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The next kid they will ruin??

You just know Hayes is going to take him under his wing and teach him everything he knows.

And on a second note, that goal celebration isn't going to end well one day. 

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

that goal celebration isn't going to end well one day. 

Hope Chuck Fletcher is standing in the way of it.

And then he has to go on LTIR for life.

But i don't mean that in a bad way...

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hope Chuck Fletcher is standing in the way of it.

And then he has to go on LTIR for life.

But i don't mean that in a bad way...

Hopefully he stops it before Ristolainen sees it and takes it as his own....decapitating Carter Hart.

• Uggh... 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You just know Hayes is going to take him under his wing and teach him everything he knows.

Maybe we can get him up soon and take out some of our overpaid contracts with that swing!

It does definitely look like a serious potential danger!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't think we'll see that one when he's playing in an arena.

They were playing in Fenway Park, his other goal cellys didn't look like that.

This was just something special for the kids.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think we'll see that one when he's playing in an arena.

They were playing in Fenway Park, his other goal cellys didn't look like that.

This was just something special for the kids.

Well that's good news....now lets just pray that Risto didn't see it....cause if he ever scores ....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well that's good news....now lets just pray that Risto didn't see it....cause if he ever scores ....

He may he finally go two points the season is turning around he is trying to win the Norris....

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 10:28 AM, flyercanuck said:

Well that's good news

maybe a play maker on their hands...

Nice play by Olle.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good job Ronnie you'll be a Flyer next year.

Fletcher should have traded that 3rd rounder along with a 2nd for a player thats just as good as Attard, but 12 years older and making 5 times as much.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Fletcher should have traded that 3rd rounder along with a 2nd for a player thats just as good as Attard, but 12 years older and making 5 times as much.

Well good news if the Flyers forego signing Jay O'Brien come June 1st they get a 2nd rounder in the 2023 draft as compensation.