2022 Minnesota Wild Draft Previews

2022 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Forwards

Its that time of year again as the draft is a few weeks away and i take a look at who is available at forward.  Wild director of scouting Judd Brackett even said he felt this draft was a bit more forward heavy than any other position and this is who where I will look first at who might be there when Minnesota goes to select at #24.  Enjoy and discuss and in a few days I'll post the next part.  

• Like 2

2022 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Defenseman

Here is part of 2 of my 4-part 2022 Minnesota Wild Draft preview, this time I take a look at 5 defenseman who I think the Wild should consider drafting.  I heard this brought up on KFAN's Beyond the Pod, where one of the questions after our most recent post-season failure was how our defense corps has been driven mainly by smaller, finesse defenseman and how that has been exposed a bit.  The only way to change it, affordably is through the draft by taking players who don't fit that archetype.  Enjoy and discuss!  

• Like 1

Never understood why the Wild have always gone after the smaller, puck moving defensemen. Is it a by-product of having mediocre offensive talent for years, so you need the defense to kickstart the offense?

You look at the (successful) Playoff teams and they play physically. The Wild don't, and never have. Hence the first round exits. Would be nice to see them start grabbing some bigger, physically imposing defensemen. 

• Like 2

I think that's a fair statement @IllaZilla.  They need the defense to produce because the players up front don't always do so.  The funny thing is, we haven't really gone after the high scoring offensive defenseman, mostly mobility and and some offensive potential.  Same thing with skating...we don't really seem to care if a player is fast and then wonder why our team looks slow against most other clubs.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

IMO, another reason why the 'tweaks' were a losers bet with a team that wasn't truly strong to begin with.  We never have been willing to be bad to get those high end players.  We managed to get lucky that a 5th rounder turned into our first and only true superstar.  But we've had to settle for lots 'ok' 1st rounders and busts...and its not really that big a surprise we're just an 'ok' team year to year.  

I know a lot of people aren't in favor of tanking to get a shot at the #1 pick, but I'd think it's fair to say the Wild's way of building a team by constantly getting draft picks in that 10-20 range isn't working. They are just spinning their wheels with these Ok players, making the playoffs with these Ok players, and getting bounced in the first round with these Ok players. And everyone seems to be Ok with that.

Or is it that the Wild until recently wanted well balanced players, rather than scorers. 
By pick 10-20 the good big players are gone, leaving them with either big OR good. 
That’s a tough choice. 

16 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I know a lot of people aren't in favor of tanking to get a shot at the #1 pick, but I'd think it's fair to say the Wild's way of building a team by constantly getting draft picks in that 10-20 range isn't working. They are just spinning their wheels with these Ok players, making the playoffs with these Ok players, and getting bounced in the first round with these Ok players. And everyone seems to be Ok with that.

I agree with you 100%.  I am willing to be bad, in order to be good.  The Lake Woebegon at best thing is hell or some kind of warped version of purgatory.  Is it North Stars trauma that has people around here afraid to be bad in order to get that blue chip star that instead we feel its better to just hope through pure luck we stumble onto one later?  

I think the fanbase does a great job of deluding itself into thinking we're in better shape than we really are.  People seem to think our prospect pool is flush with top level talent.  Is it?  Beyond Rossi there isn't any player that really looks like they're on the cusp of being a big time offensive producer and even Rossi becoming that is debatable IMO.  Defensively, to use a quote from Gabriel Landeskog...is there a Cale Makar in our prospect pool?  Nope.  

15 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Or is it that the Wild until recently wanted well balanced players, rather than scorers. 
By pick 10-20 the good big players are gone, leaving them with either big OR good. 
That’s a tough choice. 

They played it safe for the most part.  I think we ignored skating (especially with forwards) too much.    

2022 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Goaltenders

Instead of profiling 5 players, I only profiled 3 because honestly...there is not a lot of intriguing goaltending talent in this draft.  Part of that is because your #4 or #5 players are what we would call 'small' goaltenders that are 6'0" or shorter.  While they may be athletic, etc; I don't think most NHL teams let alone the Wild are going to make a selection of a smaller goaltender with the idea they'll develop into an NHL talent someday.  I will have my last draft article, sleepers and steals published in two days from now.  Enjoy and discuss...

Looking at the most recent Stanley Cup Champs (Colorado), they had a particularly rough patch during the 2010's. But look what that netted them:

Matt Duchene (2009-1st Round, #3 overall) - Eventually traded to Ottawa for Andrew Hammond, 2018 1st Round Pick, 2019 3rd Round Pick

Gabriel Landeskog (2011 - 1st Round, #2 overall)

Nathan MacKinnon (2013 - 1st Round, #1 overall)

Mikko Rantanen (2015 - 1st Round, #10 overall)

During those same years, the Wild drafted:

Nick Leddy (2009, 1st Round, #16 overall - traded for Cam Barker)

Jonas Brodin (2011 - 1st Round, #16 overall)

No pick in the 2013 1st Round (traded to Buffalo in the Jason Pominville Trade, #16 overall).

Joel Ericksson-Ek (2015 - 1st Round, #20 overall)

The Wild have changed players, changed coaches, changed GM's, and still have not made it out of the first round of the Playoffs, but continue with the "Strive for the Playoffs, because it's a whole new season and anything can happen". Maybe time to try something new?

• Like 2

On 6/27/2022 at 9:16 AM, IllaZilla said:

Looking at the most recent Stanley Cup Champs (Colorado), they had a particularly rough patch during the 2010's. But look what that netted them:

Matt Duchene (2009-1st Round, #3 overall) - Eventually traded to Ottawa for Andrew Hammond, 2018 1st Round Pick, 2019 3rd Round Pick

Gabriel Landeskog (2011 - 1st Round, #2 overall)

Nathan MacKinnon (2013 - 1st Round, #1 overall)

Mikko Rantanen (2015 - 1st Round, #10 overall)

Cale Makar (2017 - 1st round, #4 overall)

During those same years, the Wild drafted:

Nick Leddy (2009, 1st Round, #16 overall - traded for Cam Barker)

Mikael Granlund (1st round, #9) - traded for Kevin Fiala

Jonas Brodin (2011 - 1st Round, #16 overall)

No pick in the 2013 1st Round (traded to Buffalo in the Jason Pominville Trade, #16 overall).

Joel Eriksson-Ek (2015 - 1st Round, #20 overall)

The Wild have changed players, changed coaches, changed GM's, and still have not made it out of the first round of the Playoffs, but continue with the "Strive for the Playoffs, because it's a whole new season and anything can happen". Maybe time to try something new?

Same with Tampa Bay although they give you a model that finds gems later in the draft, but they definitely made the most of the two high picks they had.  

2008 - Steven Stamkos (1st Overall)

2009 - Victor Hedman (2nd Overall)

2011 - Nikita Kucherov (58th Overall)

2011 - Ondrej Palat (208th Overall)

2012 - Andrei Vasilevskiy (19th Overall)

2013 - Jonathan Drouin (3rd Overall) flipped to Montreal for Mikhail Sergachev

2014 - Brayden Point (79th Overall)

2015 - Anthony Cirelli (73rd Overall)

Even if they are not their top line players they had had a pipeline of talent to fill out at least some of their 3rd and 4th lines.  How many times the Wild has filled those bottom pairings and lower lines with free agents instead?  

2022 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Sleepers & Steals

This is my last draft preview article, this time focusing on players that might be available later in the draft.  I think there will be some decent talent available even into the 2nd round.  I again profile 5 different skaters.  Our 2nd round picks are towards the middle and the latter part of that round.  Also linked in all of my draft articles is the NHL Central Scouting Movement Tracker I composed back in May.  Enjoy and discuss...

With gas prices being what they are and being a one-car family I have decided against driving home for the draft.  So with that being said, would anyone be interested in joining a Google Hangout with me as the NHL Entry Draft Takes place?  I'd be game for both days if people want to do it.  I will post the link in here and we can see what happens and talk prospects.  

Anyone want to be a part of that?  

On 7/2/2022 at 10:22 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

With gas prices being what they are and being a one-car family I have decided against driving home for the draft.  So with that being said, would anyone be interested in joining a Google Hangout with me as the NHL Entry Draft Takes place?  I'd be game for both days if people want to do it.  I will post the link in here and we can see what happens and talk prospects.  

Anyone want to be a part of that?  

I will post a link to the Hangout perhaps a half hour before the #NHL draft is set to begin.  Hope to see you there!  

Wild Select Liam Ohgren & Danila Yurov in the 1st round of the 2022 NHL Entry Draft

I analyze the two Wild picks in the draft and share my two cents.  I think the Wild got great value with their first two picks.  Yea, right shot would've been nice but many of those right shots were people with skating issues.  That's not something we need either.  Enjoy and discuss.  

• Like 1

Day 2 of the Draft Delivers plenty of skill and hustle for the Minnesota Wild

Here is my analysis of all 6 picks they made on Day 2 with video where I could find it.  A bit more a boom / bust kind of group but I think that is to be expected with a weaker draft class.  Enjoy and discuss...

I’m actually pleasantly surprised with the Wild drafting. You kind of have to take what you can get in the 15-20 range. You’re not going to get a Connor McDavid drafting in the Wild zone. 

So… if Kaprizov can’t come back…what are the odds of the Wild landing a top five pick next season?🤔

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I’m actually pleasantly surprised with the Wild drafting. You kind of have to take what you can get in the 15-20 range. You’re not going to get a Connor McDavid drafting in the Wild zone. 

So… if Kaprizov can’t come back…what are the odds of the Wild landing a top five pick next season?🤔

It's supposed to be a stronger draft class next year so it would be a good year to be bad.  That's one thing that plays a role into these draft stories as much as anything; which group of players were you picking high in the draft in.  

Blackhawks are already making a really strong push for 1st Overall next season.  As of right now, the Wild had all of their picks next year other than their 3rd round pick.  Maybe that will change if we decide to have a fire sale if Kaprizov is spending time in Russian homestay version of a gulag.  

On 7/7/2022 at 10:35 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Select Liam Ohgren & Danila Yurov in the 1st round of the 2022 NHL Entry Draft

I analyze the two Wild picks in the draft and share my two cents.  I think the Wild got great value with their first two picks.  Yea, right shot would've been nice but many of those right shots were people with skating issues.  That's not something we need either.  Enjoy and discuss.  

Thanks. I like both drafts, which have lots of promise for the Wild club, especially in offense. Interesting, Yurov capable to play center and right wing despite of left shooting.

I thought they certainly boosted their forward depth.  Reiger Lorenz got pretty good reviews as a Day 2 pick by Cory Pronman, he seems to think he has the potential to be a really good, energy winger.  Yurov is certainly appears to be the key player to make this draft group a solid one to possibly a great one depending on what he becomes for the Wild.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I thought they certainly boosted their forward depth.  Reiger Lorenz got pretty good reviews as a Day 2 pick by Cory Pronman, he seems to think he has the potential to be a really good, energy winger.  Yurov is certainly appears to be the key player to make this draft group a solid one to possibly a great one depending on what he becomes for the Wild.  

There were plenty of outlets that had Yurov as a top 10 talent. To get him at 24 is potentially a huge steal, and who knows, perhaps a talented young Russian player to play beside, could be an enticement for Kaprizov to re-sign here when that time comes. 

• Like 1

I

12 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I agreed. I watched Yurov's highlights. Definitely he has a pretty good potential.  They even compared him to Kaprizov's style and predicted his chance to play in 1st 2 lines of the Wild club in the future.