*** 2022 Free Agency Thread ***

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And Namestnikov always seems to be that player that keeps getting flipped around from team to team.....on the one hand, makes you think, "Why doesn't anyone want to hang onto him?".

Yeah, I don't think it's teams that didn't want him, it's the cap...

At $2.5M it was too much for the Star, who still have to fill the RHD spot and give Robertson the master extension (while re-signing Hintz next year and bridging Öttinger)

9 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He was average, at best, about 5 years ago.  I don't think he's come close to earning his 20+ mins ATOI since about '17-18.

Maata isn't close to earning 18 mins ATOI.  He's a 3rd pairing NHL guy at best.

Maatta is a tank, third pair left side defense which the Wings have not had. Is he great? Gode no, he doesnt have to be, just take care of his own business which he did very well with the Kings. He works his tail off, he is what he is. 

Chiarot, middle pair left side, AGAIN exctly what the Wings needed. If you expect him to step up and be a 24. 25 minute a night guy your delusional, but as a P/K guy who paired 5 on 5 with Hronek he will allow Hronek to move the puck with a safety net. Not great players but both are servicable. A lot better than Madison Bowey and Olli Juolevi by a ton, lol

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Vladdy was a relative "bust" as a first round draft choice for the Lightning, but over the years, he has proven himself to be, like you said, a swiss knife type player, very useful, chips in offense, can play any forward position, etc.

Seems more like a guy who should have been picked in the 3rd round or so...Bolts clearly selected him too high in 2011.
And Namestnikov always seems to be that player that keeps getting flipped around from team to team.....on the one hand, makes you think, "Why doesn't anyone want to hang onto him?".

But on the other hand, if a team keeps trading for him, SOMEONE wants him and what he can do.
Maybe the teams who keep trading him are disappointed he isn't a real first rounder?
But those that want him accept what he is and go from there? I dunno.

I'm ok with Vladdy coming back "home" to the Lightning.

Seems like a lot on a per year for Sergechev but you pay for quality. Cirelli as well but I love both players and their best days are ahead of both of them.

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

Seems like a lot on a per year for Sergechev but you pay for quality. Cirelli as well but I love both players and their best days are ahead of both of them.

Cernak, lol

Wow the East is getting tougher and tougher and the likelihood is that Kadri and Gaudreau are coming East as well. Rugged. Last year my top ten teams in Hockey consisted of 7 from the East, it might be more this year.

5 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

4 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Cernak, lol

Always risky handing out 8-year contracts to players as one never knows what could happen.
But if a team IS gonna do that, the three the Bolts gave them to are the type you risk that on.

Good, reliable, young players who have shown their worth and, like you said, could still have their best days ahead.

Cernak is the biggest worry here as he is the most injury prone, but he also isn't getting the 8.5 Serge is getting. 
He gets a more appropriate 5.25.

I wonder though, if for that amount of money given Cernak, if the Bolts would want to do what you suggested: Make Cernak more of a part of the offense, while still maintaining what made him good defensively....and for the love of puck, NOT get right in point blank range of every single 100+ mph shot that comes his way!

• Like 1

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Always risky handing out 8-year contracts to players as one never knows what could happen.
But if a team IS gonna do that, the three the Bolts gave them to are the type you risk that on.

Good, reliable, young players who have shown their worth and, like you said, could still have their best days ahead.

Cernak is the biggest worry here as he is the most injury prone, but he also isn't getting the 8.5 Serge is getting. 
He gets a more appropriate 5.25.

I wonder though, if for that amount of money given Cernak, if the Bolts would want to do what you suggested: Make Cernak more of a part of the offense, while still maintaining what made him good defensively....and for the love of puck, NOT get right in point blank range of every single 100+ mph shot that comes his way!

I really think Cernak will score 40 points next year or really close. Cirelli I really love as well he is just an injury away from being Point. My only quibble would be the term for each of them and the money seems a bit high for Sergechev.

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Kuemper to Caps...  5 yr, 5.25 mil AAV.

Another one moving East. Man there are gonna be a couple of very good Eastern conference teams that miss the playoffs and a few very ordinary ones out West who make it in.

53 minutes ago, Math said:

Length is horrible. I'm in the never-more-than-three-year-for-a-goalie-unless-he's-at-least-a-three-time-Vézina-winner school.

Well, I don't think 5 years for low mileage 30 year old netminder is exactly franchise crippling.
Besides....the Oilers went from Jurassic Mike Smith and Kooky Koskinen, to Jack Campbell. I think it's an upgrade all around. LOL.

• Like 1

Claude Giroux going to Ottawa.
Tellin ya....if the Sens can figure out how to defend, they could be in the mix for a playoff spot.

The goalies are somewhat solid with Talbot-Forsberg, I like how their forward units are shaking out.
Defensive coverage remains the one big question mark.

Perron to the Wings!!

He and copp are fantastic 200 foot players, the two defenders we signed are responsible in their own end and Husso and big Ned make a good duo. The Wings will be a lot tougher to play against going forward.

5 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Perron to the Wings!!

He and copp are fantastic 200 foot players, the two defenders we signed are responsible in their own end and Husso and big Ned make a good duo. The Wings will be a lot tougher to play against going forward.

Between the moves Detroit and Ottawa have made, along with the stalwart contenders already there, the Atlantic really is looking like the deepest, toughest division in hockey.

I do wonder if the Bruins and/or Panthers take a step backwards though.
Bruins will be missing lots of key players to start the season due to off season surgeries, and no Patrice Bergeron.

And the Florida Panthers have made some......questionable moves to the point I don't see them coming close to being a President's trophy winner again.
They lost Marchment, lost Acciari, lost Chiarot....that's quite a bit of grit lost right there. And now, they are having trouble coming to an agreement with MacKenzie Weegar, who may be traded if FLA can't come to an agreement with him.

But back to your Wings...I look for them, the Sens, even the Sabres to possibly displace the Bruins as a contender in the division.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Rutta to Pens.  3 year, 2.75 mil AAV.

CRAZY contract by Hextall. 

If that was the asking price, I can see why the Bolts weren't able to give him that.
They went Cole at 3M, but only for the year.

3 years would have encroached on Brisebois' ability to do the big deals he did with Serge, Drago, and Cirelli.

1 minute ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Burakovsky to Seattle.  5 year, 5.5 mil AAV.  This was one of the few targets I thought Fletcher should look to acquire in that price range.

1 minute ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Burakovsky to Seattle.  5 year, 5.5 mil AAV.  This was one of the few targets I thought Fletcher should look to acquire in that price range.

thought the money was a bit high, but the going rate seems to have climbed this year for the first time in several years. Looks like a lot of GMs are betting the cap goes up in the next few years.....

Not exactly a free agent signing, but the Kraken have signed first round selection Shane Wright to his ELC deal.
Now he can glare at Montreal from across the continent while he circles that game on Seattle's east coast Canadian road trip next season. 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Yzerman continuing to get things done in Motown.
Dominik Kubalik has been signed away from the Blackhawks.

Kubalik.thumb.jpg.251df2ec7c59cb32667bddad671bb82e.jpg

2.5M AAV on a show-me contract for the 26 year old forward?
Not bad at all.
A bit of a regression year for him in Chicago last year, but wouldn't be surprised if he is revitalized in Detroit with the exciting core they are building there.

Just now, yave1964 said:

Now if the Wings trade Bertuzzi for a top pair defender I can go to sleep tonight with a big grin on my face

Most of us have always assumed you go to sleep with a grin on your face to the sounds of your FHL rival GMs screams in agony after making deals with you. :ph34r:

• Haha 1