*** 2022 Free Agency Thread ***

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Lol.  Macnow wouldn't know a hockey puck if it hit him square between the eyes.

LOL .....true dat.  Just passing on what I saw. :)

3 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Kuemper to Caps...  5 yr, 5.25 mil AAV.

Dunno.  He’ll turn 37 by the end of this contract.  (Turned 32 this May.)  

We got enough old farts.  (Backstrom out many months with his hip surgery, who knows if he’ll ever be near the same with his sizable salary.)

Pacioretty and coghlin traded to the Hurricanes for 'future considerations' because they are not cap compliant. Whatever the pieces going the other way will be announced at a later date. Eichel trade continues to pay dividends for the Knights who have to essentially give Pax away. Carolina eating entire contract.

The Klingberg era with the Stars is over, the FO can't officially bring him back given the cap space situation. So after missed the boat with Burns, they got third-pair RHD Colin Miller. Not really what I was expecting but given the dry market, I guess we have to go with this kind of plan B. At lest they didn't gave a monster contract to some washed-up old fart, which is an improvement.

More Sens news...
Josh Norris, the very good looking 23 yr old centerman, has been signed by Ottawa to an 8-year, 7.95M AAV contract that kicks in this coming season.

Elsewhere, Vegas signs the unsung Foo Fighter, Spencer, to a one year, 750K show-me contract.
Mr. Foo spent last season between the KHL and a Chinese league, putting up 17G, 47A combined over 56 games over there.
He was last seen in the NHL playing for the Calgary Flames in 2018 when he played a handful of games for them.

Bolts news:
They sign defenseman Haydn Fleury, who was with the Seattle Kraken last season, to a two year, 762K AAV contract to round out their lower tier defensive units.
TB also picks off Felix Robert, an undrafted minor league player left exposed by the Penguins, to a two year, 857K contract, should he make the NHL team, but only 82.5K if he plays in the minors.
The 22 yr old forward is undersized at 5-8, 170 (maybe 5-9, 180 if you read sites that are more generous to him), BUT, the Lightning have a history of turning Smurf sized, undrafted players into something or the other with varying degrees of success.

Marty St. Louis, Ruslan Fedotenko, Dan Boyle, and Tyler Johnson are their biggest successes, others, like Cory Conacher and Eric Perrin, not so much....but Felix should get every opportunity to make it to the NHL is he is worthy.

The Washington Capitals may have made a sneaky good signing by giving the discarded Dylan Strome, formerly of the fish tanking Blackhawks, to a 1 yr, 3.5M contract. With a good showing, the 25 yr old could probably parlay that into something significantly more...either with the Caps or elsewhere.

Some interesting UFA's still out there:

--- Nazem Kadri, C, 31 yrs old, last cap hit, 4.5M
--- Nino Niederreiter, L/RW, 29 yrs old, last cap hit, 5.25M
--- John Klingberg, D, 29 yrs old, last cap hit, 4.25M

--- Sonny Milano, L/RW, 26 yrs old, last cap hit, 1.7M
--- Phil Kessel, RW, 34 yrs old, last cap hit, a ghastly 8M!

Now, Kessel is interesting to me because, I still think he has a bit left in the ol donut tank. He does NOT have 8M worthy left, but on a reasonable contract for a year or two, he could provide a solid, defensive contender with some snipes from the wing.
Still has his wheels, can still play, I think someone gives him a value contract, and it will be up to Kessel, if he still has the desire to play, to make the most of it.

• Good Post 1