Flyers Draft: Round 1 - Overall #5 Cutter Gauthier (C / LW)

I feel like some people are trying to find reasons not to like the Gauthier pick based on inaccurate assumptions or by drawing unfair comparisons to players previously drafted by the team.  I don't know, guess I just would like to know what it is about the scouting reports that are problematic.  He doesn't seem to be deficient in any area.  Perhaps he isn't elite in any area, except for compete level (which this team solely lacks), though.  I suppose Jiricek was a viable option, so I get if you preferred him over Gauthier (frankly, I was thinking they should take Jiricek but understand why they went with a F and worried a little about Jiricek's knee surgery).  But what were people expecting for the fifth pick in a weak draft?

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

On 7/8/2022 at 2:30 AM, ctid said:

Disagree. 

Pretty sure Flyers have the 4th worst grade at everything.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

If Gauthier was selected at around 12-18

I can understand the lack of faith in this org. I’m with you there absolutely. That said, I’ve looked at maybe 5-6 rankings lists, and he was between 3-8th, most often around 6-7. 

He would have been consider a significant steal at the spot you mention. More importantly, the only real other BPA options would have been Savoie or Jiricek. If they didn’t want another dman, that leaves Savoie vs Gauthier according to all these analysts. It’s fair to suggest they went for size and punch over playmaking skill n Savoie, but suggesting Gauthier was a reach pick is still a bit meh to me. 

• Like 2

For those who are concerned the kid's about compete level.

Where did you see this?

I'm not a subscriber to McKeens who had Gautheir ranked the lowest of the major scouting houses I know of, so I don't know what they're saying.

I saw doesn't always make the best decisions,  but I didn't see issues with compete level. 

In fact some of the reports I read say compete level is good, (I think that was Smaht Scouting)most said not a problem.

Edit: it was the Athletic-Charlie O

Edited by mojo1917

30 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I can understand the lack of faith in this org. I’m with you there absolutely. That said, I’ve looked at maybe 5-6 rankings lists, and he was between 3-8th, most often around 6-7. 

He would have been consider a significant steal at the spot you mention. More importantly, the only real other BPA options would have been Savoie or Jiricek. If they didn’t want another dman, that leaves Savoie vs Gauthier according to all these analysts. It’s fair to suggest they went for size and punch over playmaking skill n Savoie, but suggesting Gauthier was a reach pick is still a bit meh to me. 

The only other option would have been to trade down BUT you need a partner to dance. Besides even "IF" the Flyers would have traded down, half the fan base would have bitched and moaned about that.  Aside of picking in the top 4, there was no other realistic scenario in which the majority of the fan base would have been on board .......

• Good Post 1

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

In fact some of the reports I read say compete level is good, (I think that was Smaht Scouting)most said not a problem.

Ask and you shall receive ......

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2022-nhl-draft/2022-draft-profile-lw-cutter-gauthier/

Granted this is an early season review ...take it with a grain of salt...

Skating and Stickhandling

Gauthier is a excellent skater in many areas, and his combination of power-forward size with breakaway speed makes him a bit of a unicorn among his 2022 draft-eligible peers. Although he’s prone to go through periods of standing around, Gauthier does show a quick first step and long, powerful stride that helps him accelerate into open ice and well past backskating defenders.

Skating and Stickhandling

Gauthier is a excellent skater in many areas, and his combination of power-forward size with breakaway speed makes him a bit of a unicorn among his 2022 draft-eligible peers. Although he’s prone to go through periods of standing around, Gauthier does show a quick first step and long, powerful stride that helps him accelerate into open ice and well past backskating defenders.

Defense and Physicality

Gauthier is a hard-hitting winger who can impact shifts in all three zones. He’ll deliver loud hits along the boards and will let an opponent pay a hefty price for going toe to toe with him. A testament to Gauthier’s reliability off the puck is his occasional use and effectiveness on the penalty kill, including serving as the lone forward in 5-on-3 disadvantages. He’s a dedicated backchecker who actively uses his stick and long reach to block passing lanes, and his desire to pressure the puck doesn’t prevent him from releasing or retreating to cover the back door or an opposing point man. Gauthier’s keen anticipation and quick hands leads to a handful of interceptions and immediate counterattacks per game.

Hockey Sense

Gauthier is a gifted player whose cerebral decision-making and outside-the-box thinking makes potentially untenable situations more promising for both him and his linemates. Although his game could use more shift-to-shift consistency, Gauthier is developing into the kind of forward who rarely settles for the easy wrong over the hard right, and his delay tactics at the opposing line reveal patience, maturity, and foresight. Gauthier is a creative puck handler who rarely telegraphs his intentions, and his high panic threshold when controlling the puck in tight areas or while moving at top speed off the rush extends possessions and keeps opponents pinned in their own end. He’ll attempt a risky play every now and again, but that seems par for the course for all notable NTDP forwards since the program’s inception.

NHL Projection

Top-line, two-way power forward

• Like 2

@pilldoc

Thanks. 

I did read this one and in my mind it said "teenager".

It didn't say lack of compete... even though "periods of standing around " can definitely be interpreted as not competing. 

Lack of consistency screams teenager to me

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@pilldoc

Thanks. 

I did read this one and in my mind it said "teenager".

It didn't say lack of compete... even though "periods of standing around " can definitely be interpreted as not competing. 

Lack of consistency screams teenager to me

agree …. Teenagers…. And hopefully like most teens they will grow and mature.

• Like 1

@pilldoc

I have hope for Cutter. 

Simply moving him to the pivot should cure the "standing around" part.

San Fillippo had an interesting take after talking to a non-Flyers scout about him. 

The scout said if he'd have played more at center in USDP he would have been a more highly regarded prospect. 

Says he could become a mini-Lindros type puck possession center. 

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vc25vd3RoZWdvYWxpZQ/episode/ZGViOGE2NTQtZmU3MS0xMWVjLWIxMmEtYWYzZDgyNTFiYTk5?ep=14

That's one guy's opinion but I'll bet he wasn't the only person to see it.

Also, the kid has a rocket for a shot. 

I think there is actual upside with Gauthier. I hope BC works out for him. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He's a Center/Left Wing.

Ok alot of what I saw had him as a C/RW.

As long as his is versatile I am good with it.

They are planting a seed I'll wait for it to sprout before I judge any further.

I am a fan and just a fan I have never laced them up and I only know hockey from 30 year of watching and reading about it.

I leave this to the experts...

Well, the good news is that Gauthier is going to a great hockey program in Boston College, so he'll get all the development he needs. 

I'm not worried about the "moving his feet" part simply because it's something that can be easily corrected. As well, if you look at the cerebral players in the NHL,  you can see that they also stop moving their feet at times. The slow down the game and bring the game to them. Some players play well at a high pace, some play well when the pace is slowed. 

My only concern with Gauthier was reading that he wanted to spend one year at BC and then turn pro. If I'm his agent, I'm telling him take at least two years. The Flyers are a mess and it makes no sense to go there as a 19 year old and have the fan base think you're the savior of the franchise. Take your time, get as much ice time and play in all situations as much as you can. Learn the intricacies of the center position in college where you can make mistakes and not worry about getting eviscerated by the media or any part of management. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

38 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

My only concern with Gauthier was reading that he wanted to spend one year at BC and then turn pro. If I'm his agent, I'm telling him take at least two years

i think that is sound advice… there is no rush bringing him up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, radoran said:

You thinking he's 2nd or 3rd line for the Flyers in October?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Sarcastically knowing this team sure ...they will play him on 2nd line until Farabee comes back from IR.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Realistically ...i hope he succeeds at BC.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 2

On 7/9/2022 at 9:03 AM, mojo1917 said:

For those who are concerned the kid's about compete level.

Where did you see this?

I'm not a subscriber to McKeens who had Gautheir ranked the lowest of the major scouting houses I know of, so I don't know what they're saying.

I saw doesn't always make the best decisions,  but I didn't see issues with compete level. 

Edit: it was the Athletic-Charlie O

Don't even get out of bed tomorrow we're all DOOMED!

DOOMED!

🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 1:03 AM, FireDillabaugh said:

If Gauthier was selected at around 12-18, it's a completely different story.  But, he wasn't.  He was selected at 5, when it's pretty apparent that he wasn't the BPA at the time,  and probably won't live up to the 5th pick.  Again, won't bother holding my breath waiting for him to do so.  He will probably be capable of helping the team eventually, if Lappy doesn't destroy him when he's eventually placed in Lehigh after his time at BC.  But, that help will probably be as a middle six role, while other names that were there at 5 may show they are true top line NHL players eventually.

Fair.  I guess most of the rankings that I saw from the usual suspects close to draft time (and I don't follow these things too closely, admittedly), had Gauthier as a borderline top 5 pick, maybe top of the next group.  Most had Gauthier, Geekie and Savoie ranked pretty closely.  Doesn't seems to me they reach absurdly reached for the guy.  Seems like he was picked in a fairly reasonable spot.  I mean, if you value Craig Button, he had Gauthier at 7 and Savoie and Nazar around 20ish.  Central Scouting had Gauthier, Savoie and Geekie at 3, 4 and 5 among North American Skaters.  Nazar didn't crack the top 10 in what I saw.

I think the Flyers wanted a player certain to make the roster in a couple of years, rather than taking a risk on a boom or bust player.  Gauthier seems rather safe, but not spectacular, in that regard.

• Like 2

From the Athletic...enjoy....

Cutter Gauthier

So how did the No. 5 pick — the Flyers’ next great hope for a true high-end talent drafted and developed by the organization — look at camp?

Mostly good. Occasionally very good. But also nowhere near a finished product.

Let’s start with the good and very good. Gauthier’s shooting ability came as advertised. He has a cannon of a shot and a quick release as well. To my eyes, his wrister appeared more dangerous at this point than his one-timer, but that wasn’t too shabby, either. On the whole, I was actually more impressed with the quality of Gauthier’s shot than that of Tyson Foerster, and that’s not a slight against the Flyers’ 2020 first-round pick. Gauthier’s shot just looked even heavier and more overpowering, a promising sign. The puck jumps off his stick and has serious velocity as well, as he showed both in the three-on-three tournament and in shooting drills.

But Gauthier’s shot has long been highly touted. It was the details of his play that were more of a pleasant surprise, though it’s fair to argue that a player who shot up draft boards in large part because of his size/speed combination should stand out in puck protection drills. Still, Gauthier is just 18, facing off against opponents who should be more physically developed. Nevertheless, Gauthier was arguably the toughest player to knock off the puck at the camp. His puck protection game is already on point.

It’s not the best angle, but Gauthier is basically just toying with camp invite Mikael Huchette here, and that was par for the course for Gauthier in puck protection drills all week.

Gauthier was also impressive in puck pursuit and backchecking. In fact, his best stretch of the week to my eyes came during the three-on-three tournament, and it was sparked by his defensive play. Over the course of one “shift,” Gauthier forced two turnovers by stripping opponents of the puck from behind, won two puck battles (one as the primary player engaged, one in support) and generated three scoring chances. He looked flat-out dominant, and the clear best player on the ice over that impressive sequence. It was impossible to watch that one-to-two-minute period and not be excited about Gauthier’s plausible upside.

So what were the negatives of his work at camp? You just got the sense that Gauthier hasn’t quite put the entire package together yet from a skill standpoint. Few players were trying the high-difficulty plays that Gauthier was attempting, and all too often, he would come so close to pulling them off completely — only to lose control of the puck just before putting the finishing touches on them. You had to respect the confidence and audacity, but the execution was just a tad off.

Take the first clip here, as he expertly dangles around Huchette only to quickly flub the puck right after. Or the eventful second sequence, during which Gauthier (No. 39) mishandles the puck once moving up ice (not great), delivers a beautiful cross-slot pass to Bryce Brodzinski (great), maneuvers the puck from a stand-still position around two defenders (great) only to flub his shot attempt and then turn the puck over after recovering it (not great).

That Gauthier is willing to try out these moves? Encouraging. That he’s almost finishing them at 18? Promising. And to be clear — this is just a development camp, and no player should be judged on fumbling the puck away a few times after dangling around opponents. But it’s not difficult to see how Gauthier can get the tag of being a bit raw. The upside is tantalizing, but he’s not quite there yet.

Gauthier wants to only spend one season at Boston College before turning pro and taking a run at an NHL job. The talent is there for him to do it. Now, he just needs to put it all together.

https://theathletic.com/3428056/2022/07/18/philadelphia-flyers-prospects-gauthier-attard-foerster/

So guess we'll see how the seed sprouts...

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1