Flyers Draft: Round 1 - Overall #5 Cutter Gauthier (C / LW)

7 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

A much more business like approach.  A guy who isn't afraid of joking around a bit.  But, for the most part, he's taking advantage of the ice time and taking it seriously, instead of Wisdom's video for example.  To me, it's a positive sign.  I don't need him to be the joker, yapping at everyone with ridiculous comments, trying to make the ice time fun for everyone.  That's not what it's about at this level.  It's about learning and working on the deficiencies, utilizing the ice time properly, even if there is a lot of mediocrity and incompetence among the coaching for this franchise.

I like what i have seen of him so far and once he stops growing he could be much bigger and stronger.

But even if he doesn't get much bigger as long as his brain is good i think they have a good hockey player here.

I don't have a crystal ball but i feel good about the pick. How far he climbs i think the sky is the limit for him.

By the time he is 21 we will know a lot more about this kid. He still needs to get stronger if he doesn't get taller or bigger.

Nutrition is key during this time. Rest and a good routine with weights needs to be added to his skating routine. I am sure they have laid out a plan for him. Or i sure hope so.

:PopcornSmiley2:

50 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

If the Flyers end up with legitimate top six wingers in Foerster and Gauthier, well, it's a start. 

Yes they have to start adding some good piece to the foundation...at some point.

From what i am reading about Emil Andrea this kid might have some untapped star potential.

I think in now more than two years he must be headed over to stake his claim somewhere in the defensive corp.

They need some skill and speed injected at some point. York is a nice kid with some good tools to work with he has top 4 all over him.

There is a lot of junk on the Flyers but there are some good seeds planted too with some top 6 and top defensive potential in the system i hope some of it blossoms.

35 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

That's not what coaches like Tortorella, Thompson, Shaw or Lappy and crew are.

I will have to wait and see. But you may be right. However not sure i can even stomach watching even to evaluate the coaching. So no promises.

But it don't matter any way with Chuckles on board...

FZMZLPHXoAAQ_Oz.jpg.64559008a9589d6b2ff55e946f3379c6.jpg

The puppet master will pull the right strings this time...

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 6:24 PM, FireDillabaugh said:

However, they need the proper coaching who are capable of teaching competently.  That's not what coaches like Tortorella, Thompson, Shaw or Lappy and crew are.

I think it's a mistake to assume that Tortorella does not learn from the past and isn't necessarily going to be exactly what you've seen before. It's hard to say, but that is one thing I am waiting to see, what he will coach like and what style they will (try to) use. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 1:30 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I like what i have seen of him so far and once he stops growing he could be much bigger and stronger.

But even if he doesn't get much bigger as long as his brain is good i think they have a good hockey player here.

I don't have a crystal ball but i feel good about the pick. How far he climbs i think the sky is the limit for him.

By the time he is 21 we will know a lot more about this kid. He still needs to get stronger if he doesn't get taller or bigger.

Nutrition is key during this time. Rest and a good routine with weights needs to be added to his skating routine. I am sure they have laid out a plan for him. Or i sure hope so.

I have much more faith that Boston College puts him on a program towards success than the Flyers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

And you have the right to think that it's a mistake.  Just as I have the right to say you're absolutely wrong to think that.  But, you have every right to think it's a mistake.  The man has never, at anytime in his career, shown that he learned from his past mistakes and was willing to put his ego aside and change because of that learning.  There won't be anything different here.  And, I'm guessing by Halloween(if not sooner), he'll be right back to his circus act tactics.  It's what he is.  Nothing but a circus act that was a suggested hire from an outside organization that certainly didn't know anything about this franchise, and clearly doesn't know much at all about professional hockey.  There is nothing about his career that says he will be anything different suddenly.

There is absolutely zero doubt you're correct here.

I'll never understand--not just hockey--why people have to see the same thing over and over and over again and each time actually say out loud, "this time it will be different!"

Such people must be highly entertained and in tremendous suspense on a carousel ride.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2022 at 6:13 PM, FireDillabaugh said:

Absolutely agree.  Which is why I feel he should spend more than just the 1 year he wants to spend there.  Would certainly rather see him actually learning and improving within the BC program instead of being destroyed by Lappy and his stiffs in Lehigh.

And you have the right to think that it's a mistake.  Just as I have the right to say you're absolutely wrong to think that.  But, you have every right to think it's a mistake.  The man has never, at anytime in his career, shown that he learned from his past mistakes and was willing to put his ego aside and change because of that learning.  There won't be anything different here.  And, I'm guessing by Halloween(if not sooner), he'll be right back to his circus act tactics.  It's what he is.  Nothing but a circus act that was a suggested hire from an outside organization that certainly didn't know anything about this franchise, and clearly doesn't know much at all about professional hockey.  There is nothing about his career that says he will be anything different suddenly.

Oh ya? Well I say he's going to surprise you and be a great coach. 

Edited by pilldoc

Next week, Monday will follow Wednesday.  None of you have nothing to base an argument to say it's wrong. You will see, repeated evidence not withstanding.  

When you're eating, remember that phlegm goes well with words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Next week, Monday will follow Wednesday.  None of you have nothing to base an argument to say it's wrong. You will see, repeated evidence not withstanding.  

When you're eating, remember that phlegm goes well with words.

Spoken like a true nowadays King Solomon.

Pick any old adage you want…..

”Can’t teach an old dog new tricks” or

”You can’t change the spots on a leopard” 

History is not kind to Torts…. He is who he is…..

Personally I don’t think we see a Christmas Miracle on 34th Street… errr I mean Broad Street.  Not with the way this team is put together by the ineptness of the FO.

However, like the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars, I understand how some Flyer faithful are clinging to that 4 letter word known as HOPE.  Hoping that Torts has changed his ways and this team comes back from the dead.  

They are not wrong either….. 

Rightly or Wrongly IMHO you can’t begin to judge Torts until at least after Christmas.  Again just my humble opinion……..

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Spoken like a true nowadays King Solomon.

Pick any old adage you want…..

”Can’t teach an old dog new tricks” or

”You can’t change the spots on a leopard” 

History is not kind to Torts…. He is who he is…..

Personally I don’t think we see a Christmas Miracle on 34th Street… errr I mean Broad Street.  Not with the way this team is put together by the ineptness of the FO.

However, like the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars, I understand how some Flyer faithful are clinging to that 4 letter word known as HOPE.  Hoping that Torts has changed his ways and this team comes back from the dead.  

They are not wrong either….. 

Rightly or Wrongly IMHO you can’t begin to judge Torts until at least after Christmas.  Again just my humble opinion……..

1661476715070.jpg

• Haha 2

We were five years away, then three years from being three years away.

It's been elven years now and we're at -2 years away from restarting and blowing it all up.

I think if we stayed with Hextall we would of built through the draft and see some hits and misses, had allot of Cap space, had some vets and contracts at hand to use up.

Having Hackstol coaching, we might of been able also to pick in the top 3 for several seasons.

Rebuilding without the expressed consent to rebuilding our team.

Being competitive to make the playoffs but not pushing the needle till we had established solid youth/contracts shored up to then go out and get a Money Player/s. That was the plan and blueprint Hextall laid out.

We are now overbudget, over-bloated(Contractually) and overwhelmed with uncertainty.

What happened to the Aggressive Retool?

We got rid of Oscar, really? for what? To get a couple 4th liners?

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:30 PM, FireDillabaugh said:

So tired of hearing stuff like this about Ronnie.  Maybe you forget that it was Hextall who brought JVR in here and gave him the contract he has right now.  Hextall's "plan" was to continue to take advantage of the propaganda department, feed the gullible with "the future is bright" BS, without allowing the youth the opportunities to actually play in the league, make the "future" the present, which Ronnie thought would allow him to secure his job year after year without actually having to put his money where his mouth had been.  And, seeing what he's done to Pittsburgh since being hired there only proves that getting him out of here was the proper move to make.  Loved the competitiveness that Ronnie had as an NHL player, even though his skill level didn't always live up to his level of competitiveness.  But, his humongous ego gets in the way far too often for him to be an NHL GM.

-------------------------------------------------

You being tired of the fact that I have hardly heard anyone asking for Hexy back is not something I have seen on this forum.

Forgetting is something "you" are doing and I am VERY CLEAR in thought that he brought in JVR and since you forgot "why" he did, it was because we were inching closer to advancing to the next level in bringing in contracts of players that can assist in scoring goals.

JVR was paid market value and wasn't attained giving away 2nd rounders or other "favors" to get him. It was a move made to improve our scoring. We still were not completely there to compete for a Stanley Cup but it was there to help us advance in the playoffs and give our young players experience in the playoffs(Konecny, Lindblom, Patrick ,Provorov, Myers, Sanheim). All those would gain valuable experience so that by the following year or two, we could go out and get a big ticket player when our young core was hitting on all cylinders with our vets: Claude, Jake, Coots, Simmonds and JVR.

Hextall's plan is a solid plan and a realistic plan ever since the spending Cap came into existance.  NO CAP!

Our "youth" was playing in the NHL our "draft players" needed to play in the AHL and become "hungry" to earn their time to advance to the NHL. We weren't getting top 3 picks every year and hit the lottery in getting second overall pick once. And Patrick did come in early, which now we see was a mistake.

His plan was solid, the other shenanigan's of not allowing alumni/family to "hang out" or "other" rules/diet is subjective. We were in a desirable position of having high youthful prospects, cap space and players trending upward.

That being said, to replace Ronnie with the complete incompetence that Fletcher is(who has an even bigger ego than Ronnie has) only shows that Holmgren is a complete idiot who shouldn't have anything to do at all with a franchise's management.  And, Fletcher's resume should have made that perfectly clear before he was even a consideration for Ronnie's replacement.

And they'd be in the same type of situation if Hextall were still here.  Maybe you haven't noticed what he's paying 30+ year olds as Pittsburgh's GM.  If he were still here, it would just be more of the same type of JVR offers on this roster, while still spewing the same BS propaganda that "the future is bright", only looking to extend his contract and steal more paychecks here.

Stupidly, completely false, quit pulling BS out your Tate. Fletch even "GUSSSSSSHED" How he was in a DEEESIIIIRRREABLE position of having: 1. Talent 2. CAP 3. High prospects that he inherited as a Dream GM job; Everything was placed on the mantle to "Send it"

The incompetent pile of $hit that Fletcher is got rid of Oscar, believing he would be able to move JVR as well, to make room for actually dishing out another ridiculously overpaid contract to a 29 year old Gaudreau,

He knew he couldn't get rid of JVR so he took out Oscar, full stop. He believed he couldn't move JVR, he wanted to, but that doesn't change the market.

He was never into Gaudreau, He also knew it wasn't happening, he would of maybe wanted to wish to get him...but no.

The fact that Fletcher is an idiot who should have made sure JVR could have been moved first before getting rid of Oscar is a completely different story.  The fact that Fletcher is an idiot who never should have even considered Deslauriers and Braun is a completely different story.  The fact that Fletcher never should have even been a consideration for the replacement of Ronnie is a completely different story.  They are only more clear signs that Holmgren is the idiot he is and never should have even been given any type of management position within this organization.  Ever.  Not a GM position, certainly not the position of President, and clearly not the Senior Advisor position.

Him not moving JVR doesn't make him an idiot, it's just incompetent. 

Now the other choices he has made sure puts him in that category.

As much as Fletcher has screwed things up; to his defense, his player acquisitions were cerebral and had things steered the right way, we might of even had a chance to win a Cup or at least make the Stanley Cup Playoffs; prior to global Spanish Flu worldwide pandemic, Vegas had us at the better odds to win it.

C'est la vie

Edited by LegionOfDoom
  • Haha 1

It sucks we're Five years away from being Five years away again, I just think with Hextall's plan, he was on a soft rebuild, so that if it failed we would of now been on our 2nd year of a full rebuild with him not as GM but having to go full draft picks and maybe getting top 3 picks with this year being one of them, with the knowledge we wouldn't be having a deep bottom six, like we are now with a sprinkle of bloated contracts and up against the Cap.

If the shutdown didn't happen though back then, we had a high chance of being in the Finals with a shooter's chance of winning the Cup. Fletcher would of been celebrated along with Vigneault.                Tomay-Toes/ Tomah-Toes = Messiah/Pariah

Vegas said so.

Vegas is Vegas.

19 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Lmfao.  Talk about "pulling BS out of your tate"...  He wasn't paid "market value".  He was given a 2.75 million AAV raise over the ridiculous 3.375 mil raise Holmgren gave him.  Not only didn't he earn the raise Holmgren gave him, he absolutely didn't earn the additional raise Hextall gave him, and never was a worthy player of a 7 mil AAV contract.  Simply a ridiculous comment.

Maybe not your market value but that is what the NHL Market value was for his worth. I don't agree with the amount but my feelings don't matter what facts say.

Konecny being the only player among them to put a Flyers sweater on in '16-17.  Sanheim, Patrick and Lindblom all dressing in Hextall's last season here.  And, Patrick dressing that year simply because he was the 2nd overall pick.  Myers didn't get into the lineup until Hextall was fired.

I never quoted 16-17' I just stated his plan to put players in that time span. Hextall planned staying longer than his last year here, he put Sanheim, Patrick and Lindblom in the lineup so the following year they'd be better seasoned for the Playoffs the following year.

Yes, that Round 1 playoff loss was such great experience for the 4 of those players that actually played...  /sarcasm  Another simply ridiculous comment.

Your sarcasm doesn't change the facts, even 1 game in a Playoff environment allows a young player to see the intensity it is and if they get to play a series, they see how much harder it is defensively and offensively to play against focused competition. 

I seriously hope you're joking and aren't this gullible...  Sure.  Because everything Fletcher says to a microphone is truth, right?  He was just hired for a job, when his resume clearly showed he should have never had a chance at a job in the NHL again.  Obviously, he's not going to burn that lifeline he was just given that he clearly didn't deserve.

Again another fact you want to ignore, with "your reality" doesn't change the facts.

We were underbudget, and considered by NHL standards as having a solid young prospect pool in the system(whether it turned out to be true is another story) AND had room to go out and get some high ticket talent.

The exact reason that Oscar was released was because Fletcher and crew believed they could give the majority of JVR's ridiculous salary away after Oscar's release.  And, it was absolutely due to their plan to pursue Gaudreau and overpay a 29 year old.  When that plan blew up in his face, Fletcher once again spewed his propaganda to the microphones, lying about not having interest in Gaudreau.  Simply more bull$hit.  It's what Fletcher does.

"The exact reason" do you have some quotes on that, I wasn't around much so I'm wondering where this is coming from. Speculation? And the Gaudreau "theory?"

It absolutely makes him an incompetent idiot.  And, not buying him out this offseason, after failing to move him and in the cap situation they were clearly going to be in during this offseason, only reinforces that incompetence and idiocy.

The most ridiculous comment of your entire reply.  Just total bull$hit.

No.  Such is not "life", when actual competence is managing that "life".  Such is "life" when you hire an incompetent idiot to manage that "life" when the only thing he had shown in his past management resume was incompetence and idiocy.

The most ridiculous comment is such a true comment. "What are YOU gonna do about it?"

C'est la vie....

• Haha 1

Jeez! Flyers are like our Govt....Got us all fighting with each other while they continue racking in the profits and tearing down a once great franchise.

I often wonder how people who want the "same thing," can be so very divided on how to obtain it....

AS LOD has said.... "C est La vie"

(Which I can only assume is french for "**** Lavy?"......Ya just HAD to call "G" the bext player in the world didn't ya! Out loud.... in front of cameras!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/6/2022 at 3:23 AM, MaineFlyFan said:

AS LOD has said.... "C est La vie"

(Which I can only assume is french for "**** Lavy?"......Ya just HAD to call "G" the bext player in the world didn't ya! Out loud.... in front of cameras!)

We sure could say more "Say Lavvy"

• Like 1

• pilldoc unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 9:50 PM, mojo1917 said:

I have liked every interview with this kid that I've read. 

He is a hard worker,  he has drive, he wants to improve. 

Like he read and committed to memory the Rod Brind'Amour Secrets to my Success book- the one with the forward by Nathan MacKinnon. 

For me this pick was an important one to not **** up.  

Mission accomplished.

Teams need their first picks to play. 

The Flyers have had too many not make the league. 

This kid has a good chance to be good, and the physical tools and drive to be better than that. 

Maybe next year the game breaker gets picked.

Good start.

• Like 1