Tony D'Angelo for 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks

19 hours ago, vis said:

I just hope the team did their homework here and that those issues have been addressed.  I mean, what could go wrong bringing in a player known for being divisive to a team with supposed lockerroom issues? 

Did their homework? Look at the signings and trades this asshat has made. If I had a list of DO NOT ACQUIRE I'm thinking Chuck has gone out a grabbed half the players on it.

This was already the least likeable Flyers team I've ever seen and Fletcher does the hold my beer.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I'm not gonna waste my time going back and looking through the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks for the Flyers that have produced 0.8 pts per game...quick answer...there is none...ever. 

There is none what? Flyer draft picks in the 2nd 3rd and 4th round? Only til 2028. For now...until Chuck trades even more of them away.

I'm not a fan of this trade, but it's more because I didn't like the little I knew about the person.

DeAngelo is better at hockey than 6 of the guys that played the same position for the Flyers last season.

It's hard to root for an asshole.

The deal is only for 2 years and I don't have to be around him daily.

He was noticeable in the playoffs for Carolina,  mostly in a good way he took a few bad penalties too.

Currently his presence is like a benzo for my enthusiasm for this team. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not a fan of this trade, but it's more because I didn't like the little I knew about the person.

DeAngelo is better at hockey than 6 of the guys that played the same position for the Flyers last season.

It's hard to root for an asshole.

Pretty much sums up my feelings as well ....... also not debating his offense but his defense along with Risto is why I mentioned in another post that Hart will need his shrink on speed dial.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, radoran said:

I mean, DeAngelo WAS waived. The Flyers could have claimed him then.

They didn't. The Hurricanes gave him a one year deal for $1M

The Flyers waited a year and gave up three draft picks for him and handed him a two year $10M contract.

What could go wrong?

I'm not saying this WILL go wrong. But my del Zotto references aren't entirely off base until they are...

After glancing at his stats they will come to Philly and die I expect, seems Philly kills all creativity - I hold out hope Torts can change that. I won't get my hopes up...

This franchise is alienating it's younger fanbase with these kinds of moves. I wonder how long Comcast will put up with it...the empty seats and lack of merchandise sales, before they sell. I mean, as good as DeAngelo CAN be...can't we go a safer, less risky route, than this guy...who I just can't see getting along with Torts? I could see the old guard alumni...Holmgren, Clarke, hanging on for another decade, before the ol' nursing homes start filling up with 1970s and early 80's Flyers alumni. My point being...things have to change, because this franchise is in a downward death spiral and less people are remembering the Cup years, by the minute. When does a new generation get to enjoy any championship winning success, from this rotting from the core...franchise?

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

14 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I mean, as good as DeAngelo CAN be...can't we go a safer, less risky route, than this guy.

How many right hand 50+ point +30 defenseman out there in the NHL are on the block?

Especially for just a 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

No roster players just crap shoot draft picks?

As far as I know none with out giving up and Konecny or a Provorov type prospect to going back the other way.

I mean they rolled the dice and didn't alter the current roster at all.

So we'll have to really wait and see what he brings.

I get it he has had some issues in the past.

But it is in the past. We can not make mistake and ask for forgiveness and then never show any ourselves.

His teammates have spoken up and love the guy and endorse the move.

After the shat show I have seen the last two years I am willing to try anything to get this team to play some hockey worth watching or otherwise I might as well just start following the NBA...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

17 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

This franchise is alienating it's younger fanbase with these kinds of moves. I wonder how long Comcast will put up with it...the empty seats and lack of merchandise sales, before they sell. I mean, as good as DeAngelo CAN be...can't we go a safer, less risky route, than this guy...who I just can't see getting along with Torts? I could see the old guard alumni...Holmgren, Clarke, hanging on for another decade, before the ol' nursing homes start filling up with 1970s and early 80's Flyers alumni. My point being...things have to change, because this franchise is in a downward death spiral and less people are remembering the Cup years, by the minute. When does a new generation get to enjoy any championship winning success, from this rotting from the core...franchise?

But Haysees BFFs. Look how awesome building around him has been so far.

• Uggh... 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

All this collecting of Hayes' friends and former teammates. Nothing good will come from it. If Tortorella thought the locker room was splintered before, just wait until it becomes a full out revolt of Hayes and his group vs the rest of the roster. This might make the 2006 - 2007 locker room squabble between Forsberg/Gagne and Carter/Richards look like a drop in the bucket. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If he can come in and lead Luke Atkinson did I'm good with it.

Let's be honest you can coach all you want sometimes you need a teacher on the ice so maybe he can show some kids like York to unlock some stuff.

Some times we have to chill and see where it is going we can do all the batching in the world it ain't going to make them listen.

But I agree if he is going to be a Yandle type buddy acquisition then yes we all going to be pissed as hell.

One thing that scares me is the Canes have some good hands on thar squad and some very good speed.

Will it even translate to this team well is rhe biggest question.

I am going to wait and see the opening night roster before I judge.

I feel in my bones this is Chuckles last swing at the piñata...

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

because this franchise is in a downward death spiral and less people are remembering the Cup years,

Very true, but it's actually worse than that.

Someone would have to be 30 years old to have been ALIVE for Lindros's rookie year.  Those people might have vague memories of a 5 year old of the 1997 finals against the Red Wings.

An 18 year old probably doesn't remember two lockouts and has a nice first grade memory of losing to the Black Hawks, but probably still a fun ride memory.  Through the rest of his entire school years, the flyers won first round playoff series in 2nd and 3rd grade. Since then?  And not again until 10th grade.  And since?  Lottery team.

Really inspires a generation of young fans, huh?

People are fickle. They'll come to hype.  These kids won't see that for several more years at best.

Comcast has not only killed hockey in Philly but crapped on it and set it on fire.  

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let's be honest you can coach all you want sometimes you need a teacher on the ice so maybe he can show some kids like York to unlock some stuff.

Some times we have to chill and see where it is going we can do all the batching in the world it ain't going to make them listen.

But I agree if he is going to be a Yandle type buddy acquisition then yes we all going to be pissed as hell.

One thing that scares me is the Canes have some good hands on thar squad and some very good speed.

Don't you find it (not so)funny that pretty much every single trade this management makes that doesn't involve Voracek has to be explained as to how it can possibly work?

There is NEVER a "Wow, he really hit a home run there" moment with this clown.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What if he comes in and "leads" like Hayes?

I have never heard anyone suggest Deangelo is a leader, or teacher. Douchebag, yes. 

It's all we can do....yet again. But odds are with Chuckie is he's close to batting 1000 on misses. 

If it is it was worth it. 

11 hours ago, vis said:

But, again, given the circumstances seems like no one other than Carolina wanted to take that chance.  I don't fault the Flyers for not signing him in the offseason -- especially with eyes set on Ellis.

They SIGNED Yandle 😃

I get the situation, but it remains that the Flyers just gave up three draft picks to sign a guy with questionable character that they could have had for nothing.

And they portray this as "success" - we'll see...

• Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

They SIGNED Yandle 😃

I get the situation, but it remains that the Flyers just gave up three draft picks to sign a guy with questionable character that they could have had for nothing.

Buy high, sell low...its Fletchers M.O.

Why change now?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

They SIGNED Yandle 😃

Yes, but.

The situation between last year and this year is vastly different. 

So yes, you're right everything you've typed is true.

But, Ellis' hip issue was unknown, in fact his arrival was cause for mild excitement. 

Would anyone try to build around DeAngelo last season? 

The answer is no.

He was given a prove it contract by a solid team, and he did.

The Ellis situation precipitated this signing. 

To act like last year's circumstances and this year's are the same is not fair to anyone.

Why would they have signed him for nothing last season? There was no reason for it, that needs consideration in this conversation as well. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Yes, but.

The situation between last year and this year is vastly different. 

So yes, you're right everything you've typed is true.

But, Ellis' hip issue was unknown, in fact his arrival was cause for mild excitement. 

Would anyone try to build around DeAngelo last season? 

The answer is no.

He was given a prove it contract by a solid team, and he did.

The Ellis situation precipitated this signing. 

To act like last year's circumstances and this year's are the same is not fair to anyone.

Why would they have signed him for nothing? There was no reason to, that needs consideration in this conversation as well. 

He was a UFA next Thursday and the Hurricanes don't have the cap space to sign him.  In theory--which requires believing Carolina had no other options--they could have "had" him for nothing. I believe the "had/nothing" here is meaning vs. 3 picks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

After glancing at his stats they will come to Philly and die I expect, seems Philly kills all creativity - I hold out hope Torts can change that. I won't get my hopes up...

Keith Yandle put up stats in his day.

The Flyers continually bet on reclamation projects like a drunk reaching for the next bottle.

You keep swinging for the fences you might hit something but more often you strike out.

DeAngelo put up numbers on a solid team with lots of talentent scorers. He had a reliable backup partner.

Get him all these things and he can be successful.

Still a - what was the term? - douchebag, but they can work with that.

45 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Why would they have signed him for nothing last season? There was no reason for it, that needs consideration in this conversation as well. 

They signed Yandle for what amounts to pennies less (fine, a few hundred K) and had a boat anchor everybody liked.

Then they canned Yandle and paid to get the guy they then handsomely rewarded for his play on another team. A guy they COULD have "taken a chance on" LAST season when they went into it actually thinking they were a team that could make some noise in the playoffs.

And a guy with an outwardly questionable character in the locker room.

So, yes, vastly different.

As always, I hope this works out.

But, then, I hoped Ellis would work out.

THIS one? Definitely.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

I haven't seen a single source (not related to the Flyers) that thinks the Flyers made a good trade here.  Everything I'm seeing says they overpaid.

The only thing DeAngelo will lead to is Hart to request a trade.

• Like 1