Johnny Hockey a done deal? (EDIT: JG Signs with Blue Jackets)

1 hour ago, radoran said:

or they pull the trigger on Konecny/Sanheim...

I really don't want to do this....it would have to take a very very nice haul in order to convince me to do this. And honestly Chuckles doesn't have what it takes to pull off a trade to make me happy so i would concentrate on moving JVR.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

I think there is definitely something happening in line with this statement

If it happens, mass hysteria will prompt the development of a forum lynch mob. Im looking forward to it

:PopcornSmiley2:

Let's roll!

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Chuck Fletcher hasn't shown he's really up to pulling some jedi mind **** on other GMs to actually get over on a trade, so maybe he's doing this, maybe it's Daniel Briere maybe it's you.

Chuck's Jedi mind ****

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

When viewed as only a smallish in his prime forward, who will lose a step as he ages this is not unreasonable. 

However, nothing exists in a vacuum, so indulge me for a moment.

I don't think John Hockey, (he is an old now so I'm done calling him Johnny) will be an awesome player at the end of a 7 year deal either.

I do think for 5 of those he'll be very good, I think for 4 he'll be dynamic.

When I think about the effort to sign Gadreau, I think of how the Rangers kept Zabineajab and Krieder and then signed Panarin.

I think identifying who on the Flyers equates to a similar "old guard" to keep around would be helpful and I think Couturier and Farabee maybe fit those roles?

JvR and Hayes make this more complicated for one season at least. Less room to maneuver.

Chuck Fletcher hasn't shown he's really up to pulling some jedi mind **** on other GMs to actually get over on a trade, so maybe he's doing this, maybe it's Daniel Briere maybe it's you.

But, say things wind up working out a little bit. People buy into the Tortorella culture.

Couturier is healthy and back to 90% Selke form, The kid line that played well (relative term) towards the end of the year steps forward and pushes Hayes into line 3 duty.

Allison stays in the line-up in the NHL, Lacszynski adds bottom 6 versatility. 

DeAngelo provides scoring and puck moving ability and helps get the power play into to the top half of teams in the league.

John Hockey plays to an 85pt pace on 14's wing and the Flyers become a team that is hard to play against.

Carter Hart comes into his own and becomes a 2020's version of Carey Price.

The youngsters; Ol' Forrester, Wisdom, Andreae, Attard, Tuamaala, Gauthier plus 23 #1 pick filter into the team that no longer is a country club of losers, but has a winning or at least FU culture that JG helped create. If he's a decent mentor at all, he'll have an effect on these young guys well past his time as a team's best player.

It could be he has a great long-term effect on the team.

That's a great fairytale, written by Hans Christian Anderson. Unfortunately our book is written by Fletcher and Quentin Tarantino. 

And JG isn't a Batman...he's a Robin. Unfortunately Kevin Hayes, the lazy f*** has been given Batmans cape in Philly. He's been allowed to play assistant GM and molded the team in his image. That's a big part of why it sucks.

I'll give you credit though mojo, while this tire/dumpster fire plane crash of a festering pile of goatshite is caught in the lower vortex of a sewer drain to hell, you keep finding glimmers of hope.  Thumbs up Emoji - Emoji - Sticker | TeePublic

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

And JG isn't a Batman...he's a Robin

I dont care if he's Wundermutt. If he puts up 80 to 100 pts a season, he better than anyone on the roster

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

And JG isn't a Batman...he's a Robin.

I agree. At best.

Unfortunately Kevin Hayes, the lazy f*** has been given Batmans cape in Philly.

Is that what this is really?

Well I guess all excuses are off the board this year.

He has to earn his keep or else.

I would prefer Chuckles goes before him.

Or WITH him next.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I dont care if he's Wundermutt. If he puts up 80 to 100 pts a season, he better than anyone on the roster

Do you really think he is signing in Philly?

Is it Vinnie Curry Syndrome?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Do you really think he is signing in Philly?

Is it Vinnie Curry Syndrome?

Pretty sure you'll find out if he wants to win, or just go to the highest bidder. If he signs in Philly, it's the latter.

• Like 1

I'll give you credit though mojo, while this tire/dumpster fire plane crash of a festering pile of goatshite is caught in the lower vortex of a sewer drain to hell,

I'll give you credit-that's an awesome description of...well anything that sucks. 

+1

I don't know what the future holds so, I'll see what happens. 

I reckon I can live with the disappointment when the inevitable disaster strikes. 

I've been one of the better players on bad teams in my life (twice).

I think that experience has served me well in my life in general, it certainly has helped my outlook regarding the Flyers and the Orioles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'll give you credit-that's an awesome description of...well anything that sucks. 

+1

I don't know what the future holds so, I'll see what happens. 

I reckon I can live with the disappointment when the inevitable disaster strikes. 

I've been one of the better players on bad teams in my life (twice).

I think that experience has served me well in my life in general, it certainly has helped my outlook regarding the Flyers and the Orioles.

I've been one of the worst players on an incredible team, and one of the best players on a sh##y team.   One of the gang on a meh team.    I was actually one of the better players on a pretty good team, too, which was really fun.

But since the object was always winning, I'll take being one of the worst players on an incredible team every time--though maybe the off year of one of better on a pretty good was both fun and good for the ego.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I've been one of the worst players on an incredible team, and one of the best players on a sh##y team.   One of the gang on a meh team.    I was actually one of the better players on a pretty good team, too, which was really fun.

But since the object was always winning, I'll take being one of the worst players on an incredible team every time--though maybe the off year of one of better on a pretty good was both fun and good for the ego.

I agree with you and mojo...but on the topic of Fletcher, he's a ****** GM of a lousy team and makes stupid trades and signs lousy contracts. So he's got that going for him. How on earth he gets hired is beyond my comprehension as a hockey fan.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree with you and mojo...but on the topic of Fletcher, he's a ****** GM of a lousy team and makes stupid trades and signs lousy contracts. So he's got that going for him. How on earth he gets hired is beyond my comprehension as a hockey fan.

Oh, yeah, I completely agree.   Sorry, I blame mojo.  He took me down (distant) memory lane.

I clearly remember you being angry when Chuck was hired, so you're not changing stripes.    I hope everyone clearly remembers me having a "they signed Lecavalier???" meltdown when they hired Flutcked.   I recruit and hire nationwide -- actually in four countries -- and I'd be fired if I my track record was as horrible as either Flutcked or those that interviewed and hired him.  it's like they never read the resume or checked references or anything.   It was just, "he has nice hands and really knows how to lather" and that was the sole criteria.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Hi Flutcked,

Thank you for responding to our posting for our executive chef position hear at Shiteaters Cafe.   It says here on your resume that you've been executive chef at two other establishments.    One burned down from a grease fire.  7 were killed.  That's impressive.   What was your approach there?   Oh, and the second looks like you were able to settle 3 food poisoning lawsuits out of court, you hit the owners wife with a delivery truck, and oh, looks like an after hours oil fire in the the storage area that took out both the restaurant, the attached hotel, and the neighboring Peterson's Hardware Store.    I'm sorry, but I don't think.....oh..yeah...that...feels....good....yeah....do...the...pinky....toe...too.........ahhhhhhhhhhh.....when can you start?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

"Hi Flutcked,

Thank you for responding to our posting for our executive chef position hear at Shiteaters Cafe.   It says here on your resume that you've been executive chef at two other establishments.    One burned down from a grease fire.  7 were killed.  That's impressive.   What was your approach there?   Oh, and the second looks like you were able to settle 3 food poisoning lawsuits out of court, you hit the owners wife with a delivery truck, and oh, looks like an after hours oil fire in the the storage area that took out both the restaurant, the attached hotel, and the neighboring Peterson's Hardware Store.    I'm sorry, but I don't think.....oh..yeah...that...feels....good....yeah....do...the...pinky....toe...too.........ahhhhhhhhhhh.....when can you start?"

Ya...pretty much nailed it there. 

I just don't get the "Well yes, he burned one place down killing several, and poisoned many, but I'd still like to try eating there" people.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya...pretty much nailed it there. 

I just don't get the "Well yes, he burned one place down killing several, and poisoned many, but I'd still like to try eating there" people.

Not quite the "burned down," but you just described every single person that eats at Cracker Barrell.    The only restaurant I can think of that is named for its clientele. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I'll take being one of the worst players on an incredible team every time--though maybe the off year of one of better on a pretty good was both fun and good for the ego.

I much preferred this too. 

RIGHT...how most of us on this board agreed that's how things would go when he got hired, and they did...how do paid professionals not see it?  too many checks or pucks to the head? :dizzysmiley-1:

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Pretty sure you'll find out if he wants to win, or just go to the highest bidder. If he signs in Philly, it's the latter.

The fact that he could play for his favorite team near home has no bearing, eh?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If they can clear cap, yes!

My biggest problem with him though is what they let their last Captain walk pretty much for. Lack of playoffs and playoffs performance when they get their.

Johnny has his own dragons to slay. But hey at least it's a new pricey Deck chair. But he could also be the next JVR.

I hope he doesn't if he comes aboard ever be compared to him except when talking about who is better which i think is Johnny till he proves me wrong.

And in order to capitalize on the LTIR Chuck needs to use as much cap space as possible which he has shown he can do.

So what goes to make room for him??? And don't say Provorov and Konecny because i have already said no on that.

Has to be someone else. JVR and what??? That what scares me...

7 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

According to TSN, Johnny Hockey has an 8 year 76 million offer on the table from Calgary and he's leaving it on said table. So Fletcher going to offer more than that?

that’s insane…… 

Fletch will ruin this financially if he signs JG for any more….