Johnny Hockey a done deal? (EDIT: JG Signs with Blue Jackets)

I'm calling it now .....

Both the Flyers and Blackhawks will finish 1 and 2 with the leagues worst record and to form, history will repeat itself and the Hawks win the lottery for the #1 overall pick for Bedard.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

55 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I'm calling it now .....

Both the Flyers and Blackhawks will finish 1 and 2 with the leagues worst record and to form, history will repeat itself and the Hawks win the lottery for the #1 overall pick for Bedard.

That would be our luck...15 years from now will we be attempting to move the inflated contract of whoever we take 2nd?

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Johnny Gaudreau is going to Columbus :63:

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Wow…. Just wow…..

Report: Gaudreau signs long-term deal with Blue Jackets 
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2385323

What the f...that made no sense...he could've been an all time legend in Calgary...what made him choose Columbus they suck...

• Good Post 1

Great Justin Braun is back. Plus a guy who has been a minus every single year. That takes some doing. Nice work Fletcher, yet another >30-year old (to a 4-year contract no less) who’ll fit right in on this old, slow, can’t-defend-worth-s-h-i-t team. 

Carter Hart, Ivan Provorov, Travis/Travis…to all the young talent: ‘twas a nice dream but now it’s over. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Johnny Gaudreau is going to Columbus :63:

Ok...im calling conspiracy 

Jg wanted out of CAL and back to PHI. Dickface couldn't move JVR, therefore freeing up the cap space, but he tried. This is why it took so long. So JG signs in CBJ where he will play for a season, then get traded to Philly. There are a lot of CBJ /Philly connections to suggest this as plausible

However, and as absurd as it is, if this was to come true, it still won't get me to watch any games this season. Fletcher can eat a bag of dcks!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CoachX said:

Ok...im calling conspiracy 

Jg wanted out of CAL and back to PHI. Dickface couldn't move JVR, therefore freeing up the cap space, but he tried. This is why it took so long. So JG signs in CBJ where he will play for a season, then get traded to Philly. There are a lot of CBJ /Philly connections to suggest this as plausible

However, and as absurd as it is, if this was to come true, it still won't get me to watch any games this season. Fletcher can eat a bag of dcks!

Yeah I think Columbus is just a pitstop for Gaudreau too...

• pilldoc changed the title to Johnny Hockey a done deal? (EDIT: JG Signs with Blue Jackets)

I've been stewing on this since yesterday. A popular theory on why the flyers couldn't land Johnny G is because they couldn't move JVR unless they parted with some draft picks. There's a good number of fans that agree with this strategy. Can I ask what the thought process is behind it?

Here's the way I see it and why I was fine parting with any picks to get Johnny G. First off, as a business, it would have paid off. At the beginning of last season they were going in with stud defenseman Ryan Ellis, high energy Cam Atkinson, bruising defenseman Risto, star captain Claude Giroux, selke winner Sean couturier, minute eating defenseman Provorov, up and commer Farbee, and young star goalie Carter Hart. There was some excitement. What are we looking at this season? Ryan Ellis may never play again, Cam Atkinson was OK but not great last year, Risto was hot and cold, the biggest star for the flyers in 15 years is gone, couturier is coming off of injury and I haven't heard anything about him, provorov wasn't happy with his situation and some fans have turned on him, Farabee is out for a while, and Hart was blah and then got injured. If you thought last year's attendance was bad, lookout for this year. Wouldn't a superstar overcome a lot of that?

Do you think 75% of the fan base is excited to follow our #5 pick playing college hockey, then slowly making his way up to the NHL where he can make an impact in 3 or 4 years (hopefully)? Or maybe they're more excited that the flyers will pick high again next draft year, and pick up a kid that will make an impact 3 or 4 years after that? Or maybe their sights are set on some 2nd and 3rd rounders that have a chance to get into the NHL as a bottom six player in 3 or 4 years?

I think most of us can agree that Conner McDavid is the best player in the league. He's a generational player. The best since Crosby, and he might move ahead of Crosby at some point in his career. In the past 5 "real" seasons, he has the scoring title in 4 of them. In only 2 of those seasons, a player scored more than 115 points (18-19 had 2 players over 115). In 3 of those season, the leading scorer was below 115 points. McDavid had over 115 twice, one season having 116.

Johnny G had 115 points this past season. I don't think he'll hit that number again, but to be able to get to that level is pretty amazing. Isn't it a better bet to get a guy that has the ability to be a top 3, 4, 5 player in the league rather than seeing what a first round pick can do? At best, at a very low percentage, that first pick will get to that level. Johnny G has been to that level, and it just happened 2 months ago! You know what you're getting...it's right in front of you!

Most of the time, this is just a job for these players. In this rare case, this guy is a flyers fan. Before he knew what the business of hockey was, he wanted to play for the flyers. Now he is a superstar and wants to play for his childhood team and you turn him away because you want to hold onto picks??? That's insanity!

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

8 minutes ago, icehole said:

I've been stewing on this since yesterday. A popular theory on why the flyers couldn't land Johnny G is because they couldn't move JVR unless they parted with some draft picks. There's a good number of fans that agree with this strategy. Can I ask what the thought process is behind it?

Here's the way I see it and why I was fine parting with any picks to get Johnny G. First off, as a business, it would have paid off. At the beginning of last season they were going in with stud defenseman Ryan Ellis, high energy Cam Atkinson, bruising defenseman Risto, star captain Claude Giroux, selke winner Sean couturier, minute eating defenseman Provorov, up and commer Farbee, and young star goalie Carter Hart. There was some excitement. What are we looking at this season? Ryan Ellis may never play again, Cam Atkinson was OK but not great last year, Risto was hot and cold, the biggest star for the flyers in 15 years is gone, couturier is coming off of injury and I haven't heard anything about him, provorov wasn't happy with his situation and some fans have turned on him, Farabee is out for a while, and Hart was blah and then got injured. If you thought last year's attendance was bad, lookout for this year. Wouldn't a superstar overcome a lot of that?

Do you think 75% of the fan base is excited to follow our #5 pick playing college hockey, then slowly making his way up to the NHL where he can make an impact in 3 or 4 years (hopefully)? Or maybe they're more excited that the flyers will pick high again next draft year, and pick up a kid that will make an impact 3 or 4 years after that? Or maybe their sights are set on some 2nd and 3rd rounders that have a chance to get into the NHL as a bottom six player in 3 or 4 years?

I think most of us can agree that Conner McDavid is the best player in the league. He's a generational player. The best since Crosby, and he might move ahead of Crosby at some point in his career. In the past 5 "real" seasons, he has the scoring title in 4 of them. In only 2 of those seasons, a player scored more than 115 points (18-19 had 2 players over 115). In 3 of those season, the leading scorer was below 115 points. McDavid had over 115 twice, one season having 116.

Johnny G had 115 points this past season. I don't think he'll hit that number again, but to be able to get to that level is pretty amazing. Isn't it a better bet to get a guy that has the ability to be a top 3, 4, 5 player in the league rather than seeing what a first round pick can do? At best, at a very low percentage, that first pick will get to that level. Johnny G has been to that level, and it just happened 2 months ago! You know what you're getting...it's right in front of you!

Most of the time, this is just a job for these players. In this rare case, this guy is a flyers fan. Before he knew what the business of hockey was, he wanted to play for the flyers. Now he is a superstar and wants to play for his childhood team and you turn him away because you want to hold onto picks??? That's insanity!

you are not wrong ......   bottom line, this whole organization is run by a bunch of buffoons with no idea on how to run a quality NHL team in today's NHL world.  I have said it before and it is worth repeating again.  The FO keeps living in the past and that in itself is a huge problem.