NHL Network just ran story that Ducks are listening to offers for Ryan

Guest RonJeremy

We have been after Bobby Ryan for years and now he is available, too bad he wasnt avaialble in the offseason, maybe we could have dumped Carter for him. What do you think of giving up Schenn, Simmonds and a second rounder for Ryan? I know we need defense more than anything ,epecially with Pronger injured again, but this might be our only shot at Ryan, who the Flyers have coveted for years.

I agree thats what we need the most, but Ryan was bornto be a Flyer, just wish we could have gotten him ...

Agreed. He is having a tough go of it this year there (but who isn't?).

His cap hit is a bit steep too: 5.1. What are you going to move in cap to get him?

From what I can tell, Anaheim needs defense as badly as we do, so nothing we can offer is going to look as good to them as deals from teams with D prospects to spare.

If we could somehow use Hartnell, picks, or something like that to acquire NHL-quality D, we could possibly offer Anaheim something based around Schenn/Carle/picks, but I don't really see a legitimate means of outbidding teams like Toronto, Boston, or NYR for Ryan, which sucks quite badly.

If Anaheim deals Ryan it's for instant results, not for prospects or the future. Their payroll is maxxed and the only two options are to compete now or clean house. In otherwords the Flyers have no chance of getting Bobby Ryan.

Capgeek has Anaheim with $3.6M in cap space and Ryan signed for three seasons after this at $5.1m per. They have eight guys coming off the cap as UFAs next season and, let's face it, Teemu Selanne - much as I love the guy - isn't going to be around for much longer... Perry and Getzlaf are both up after next season.

If anything, this is a perfect time for Anaheim to clean house and "go youth." In that situation, I have no idea why they would look to deal their young, rising superstar who's signed at a relatively good number. But, let's say they are...

I'd send Hartnell there in a red hot second, but he's not going to approve it and Anaheim wouldn't take him as the centerpiece of a deal.

Coburn, Schenn and a pick? Might do it...?

What about Schenn, Simmonds and a pick for Ryan. Ryan is a right wing, he replaces Simmonds. Then we have to dump salary. So its going to have to be a multi team deal or something. Hartnell's value is at an all time high, but the Ducks wont want him, so he would have to be moved to another team, for another winger , who is young and cheap . Of course we need defense more than anything, but Holmgren said there isnt many dmen around.

What about Schenn, Simmonds and a pick for Ryan.

Truthfully, and I hate to say this, I would do Briere, Simmonds and 2nd rounder for Ryan. Its a bit dicey because we are then banking on Schenn and Couterier developing there games quickly. Yet, if they were able to do that, we would be set at center for the long term. We would have Giroux, Couterier and Schenn as our top three. I don't like the idea of giving up on a 20 y/o Schenn that has only played 5 games and has done very well in very limited action the AHL. Keep in mind that Ryan had to bounce between Ducks and AHL his first two seasons before breaking out.

I also like the fact that we would get some additional cash relief on the cap with moving both Briere and Simmonds contracts. Anaheim has the room to absorb both Simmonds and Briere as well.

Two posts...

The Rangers have no forwards as it is, they have good young defensemen to offer. If we offer Schenn as the centerpiece along with simmond and something else, how can the Rangers top that?

I dont see anaheim dumping Ryans 5 million dollar contract for Briere who makes similar $$ and is ten years older. I think they are looking to rebuild with youth and lower contracts.

@RonJeremy

we're good at forward... why make that deal ?

we need help on the blue line, if you're talking about dealing our best prospect, it had better be to address an area of weakness not to bring in a guy we think is cool.

i say good luck to anahiem and mr ryan.

I've said before and will say again: why would either Danny Briere or Scott Hartnell waive their NTC/NMC to leave Philly and go to Anaheim?

Because the weather is fantastic? Tell Briere's kids the stadium is right near Disneyland, let them put some pressure on ol' dad.

I'd rather keep Hartnell than Briere, but only until the playoffs, then swap 'em. What, not allowed?

Because the weather is fantastic? Tell Briere's kids the stadium is right near Disneyland, let them put some pressure on ol' dad.

I'd rather keep Hartnell than Briere, but only until the playoffs, then swap 'em. What, not allowed?

Danny Briere grew up skating on ponds hoping someday he could live close to Disneyland. He'd drive down the left side of the ice, put a sweet shot on net, beat the goalie glove side raise his hands over his head and scream "I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND!" just like thousands of young Canadian boys do every day.

Then they engrave their name on the brick for the entryway to "Pirates of the Caribbean" and you get to have a Johnny Depp impersonator for a day pretending to be Jack Sparrow.

For whatever reason, Ryan is averaging less than 1/2 a point(11 over 23 games) this season and he is signed @5.1 per through the next 3 seasons.Plus, he is not a defenseman. I would think Homer has little interest in Ryan at this point in time and as much as I like the way the guy plays, we need a Pronger replacement/subsitute for if/when he returns not another forward.....

I'd move Schenn for Ryan in a heartbeat... it would be a win win I think... would give them a lot of upside and some funds to work with. We'd get a guy who was born to be here. That would all be nice, but we also need some D that knows how to hit and protect the area around the net... and (too bad) we need that more right now vs. Ryan.

Carle for Ryan straight up? It helps their cap, and they can resign him to a more reasonable salary (though I think that's about the right hit based on the market). Also, it sends Anaheim a D. It does leave us a little thin in proven guys, but we could end up doing something interesting like pairing Mesz with Pronger, Coburn with Timonen, and Bourdon/Marshall/Lilja/Gus depending on who is healthy.

Bluntly, I think the Flyers could make it work. Leave Carle in Anaheim after the game, and bring Ryan for the Phoenix game!

Why are we dumping defensemen for an underacheiving forward? In case people haven't noticed the flyers defense is a. not very good and b. riddled with injury. Dumping a top 4 guy for another forward means ANOTHER phantom playing in a position he isn't made for.

It is very likely we are not planning to resign Carle (might as well get something for him before the rest of the league figures it out), and power forwards are a dying breed. One is on sale now, time to stock up.

Carle is a young good defenseman with a moderate cap hit, and a contract about to expire (which is good for a rebuilding team). I think he's an attractive option for Anaheim.

We have been after Bobby Ryan for years and now he is available, too bad he wasnt avaialble in the offseason, maybe we could have dumped Carter for him. What do you think of giving up Schenn, Simmonds and a second rounder for Ryan? I know we need defense more than anything ,epecially with Pronger injured again, but this might be our only shot at Ryan, who the Flyers have coveted for years.

Well if Clarke has anything to say about it, then Holmgren will be going after Ryan since Clarke has always wanted Ryan. Ryan would look on the right wing with Giroux centering him. But the Flyers need defense more than forwards right now so I don't see Ryan in a Philly uniform.