2022-23 Iowa Wild and Prospects Thread **

Here at this link are some higlights of the game between USA and Sweden teams at IIHF 2022 World Junior Hockey Championship. Wallstedt was able to stop 38 shots out of 41 towards his net in their loss 3:2. Definitely one goal was soft which he should stop. 

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm20

Wallstedt said he felt he betrayed his team with his 'poor' play in that game.  Obviously he felt great regret in giving up that soft goal.  

Servac Petrovsky and Slovakia are out, but he had a heckuva tournament on a team that was mostly outgunned most games.  

Lambos was a scratch for Team Canada.  

Czechia will play Team USA, should be a good one.  

• Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wallstedt said he felt he betrayed his team with his 'poor' play in that game.  Obviously he felt great regret in giving up that soft goal.  

Servac Petrovsky and Slovakia are out, but he had a heckuva tournament on a team that was mostly outgunned most games.  

Lambos was a scratch for Team Canada.  

Czechia will play Team USA, should be a good one.  

I agree. Servac Petrovsky was one of the most noticeable for Slovakia team. I have heard his name pretty often when I watched extended highlights of Slovakia team. He had 2 goals; 1 assist; +/- +2 in 4 played games there.

Our other promising prospect defenseman Brock Faber produced so far 1 goal and 1 assist; +/- +9 in 4 played games for the US team which is nice too. It should be an interesting game between Czechia and US . 

Faber has looked great.  Petrovsky demonstrated great scoring touch from in close.  Wallstedt had a lot of people come to his defense after his loss to the U.S., people saying he was being too hard on himself.  Good to see, its clear he has a lot of respect around the world.  

• Like 1

Sweden advanced today to semifinals after winning a game over Latvia team with a minimal score 2:1.  Wallstedt was able to stop 12 shots out of 13 in that win. Total shots were 27(Sweden) vs 13 (Latvia).

The other quarterfinal games tonight (on August 17) USA vs Czechia and Canada vs Switzerland.

Sounds like the Wild will probably add Sammy Walker to the roster.  He is wickedly fast but his hands are...uh...ok at best.  Probably will be more of a leader in Iowa than the big club.  But he might just be the fastest player in the entire organization.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Sounds like the Wild will probably add Sammy Walker to the roster.  He is wickedly fast but his hands are...uh...ok at best.  Probably will be more of a leader in Iowa than the big club.  But he might just be the fastest player in the entire organization.  

We need fast players, because it brings more interest and intrigue to the team. Speed also gives more difficulties and a chance of the chaotic play to the opposite team. Hopefully, he has at least same speed as our former fastest players Zucker and Sturm. Of course, besides the speed we need a good hands too, which is a sign for the enormous tremendous talent like Connor McDavid has it.

I just looked through Sammy Walker stats during his career. Personally for me, they are impressed and persistently steady. Last 3 seasons he was also a Captain of the University of Minnesota hockey team. I also like that he is a Minnesotan too. Probably we are a single NHL team which has a nice  trend to sign consistently Minnesotan players to our team. That's good because it shows that  Minnesota is a State of Hockey. 

Edited by Alexandron

Just found an interesting article regarding our Wild 20 y.o. centreman prospect Nikita Nesterenko from Brooklyn. It seems he has a very nice potential as a smart playmaker who also is having a nice speed. Personally for me , he should be signed by the Wild , but he needs to gain more weight plus to improve his production stats. For his 6'0" height he has only 157 lbs, which is way not enough.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2022/8/16/23305279/top-25-under-25-nesterenko-prospect-nhl-minnesota-wild

Congrats to the Sweden team as well as to our prospect goalie Jesper Wallstedt, who has got a bronze medal at IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship 2022! He played very solid , especially in semifinals and for the bronze when he allowed only 1 goal in his net in both games (loss in semifinals against Finland with a score 0:1 and win for the bronze medal  with a score 3:1). I was able to watch  extended highlights of both games. I think the Wild have got a very talented player of NHL caliber. His total GAA for this tournament was 1.62.

Regarding our other prospect (drafted 1; #19 overall) from Sweden team Liam Ohgren I was expecting more of his production as a LW forward during this tournament. In 7 played games he had only 1 assist; +/- 0. Is he a defensively minded forward?

Here is more to read about our Wild prospects which played at IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship 2022. Personally for me, I was more impressed during this tournament about only 2 our prospects there : Jesper Wallstedt and Servac Petrovsky.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2022/8/22/23315451/2022-world-juniors-jesper-wallstedt-minnesota-wild-nhl

Last fall we had a tournament between Iowa Wild and Chicago Wolves teams. Are we going to have that tournament this fall too? Probably it would be an interesting to see it again, because Chicago team won a Calder Cup this year.

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Last fall we had a tournament between Iowa Wild and Chicago Wolves teams. Are we going to have that tournament this fall too? Probably it would be an interesting to see it again, because Chicago team won a Calder Cup this year.

Actually that was a Tom Kurves Prospect Showcase tournament against Chicago Blackhawks Prospect team, which was at the mid of September last year ( 2 games). Both teams had their own tournament in opposite to the Traverse City Prospect tournament.

Here is a list of our prospects participated last fall:

https://www.iowawild.com/assets/doc/Minnesota-Wild-Tom-Kurvers-Prospect-Showcase-Roster-706b279413.pdf

Probably, this year our roster  for the Tom Kurves Prospect Showcase Tournament will be a completely different. Hope to see there Servac Petrovsky, Nesterenko, Firstov, Wallstedt, Sammy Walker and etc..

Strange, I did not find the page of prospects who are in the Wild system at our main Wild page.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 7:37 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

That's a LOT of "ov" in there...

So far we have just one in a main roster. Your favorite team Lightning has 6 Russian speaking players in their main roster. 3 years in a row they reached Stanley Cup finals. 2 of them they won. Performance means a lot but not "ov" or some other ends of the last name. If they are able to bring our Wild team to the Cup finals, then it does not matter for me. We are already waiting for that event for 22 years. How many more years we will wait for? 100? St. Louis(2019 winner) had 1 full Russian line last season, which played perfectly well. Team was very competitive to the Colorado team last playoffs as well as Lightning too. Business in sports is business and nothing else.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:31 PM, Jimtown guy said:

FDE0942E-1488-436F-B55B-DA33E8E33CF3.jpeg

An interesting roster. Sounds intriguing. Hope, they will play well. 16th and 18th in Chicago.

Strange, we still do not have a page in the main Wild link which players are in our system. We had that before, and now I do not see it any more. Hard to follow our prospects without it.

Interesting: Wild has three prospects for the infamous 2018 Canadian Junior team: Connor Dewar, Calen Addison and Sam Steel. Steel is among eight, of the 45 skaters that played that season, to have denied any participation in a party which resulted in sexual assault allegations and coverups by Hockey Canada.

We were able to win one out of 2 games in Chicago of the Kurves prospect showcase tournament. Scores  for Wild - Chicago: 1st game 5:2; 2nd game 0:5. Wallstedt and Rossi participated during the 1st game, but not during the second game. Wallstedt was able to stop 35 shots out of 37 in his net. It seems he is our real Wild future.

Here is more info about the 1st game on scoring:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/prospects-showcase-091622/c-335608144

• 2 weeks later...

One of the prospects brought my attention today after Wild reduced training camp to 40.  That prospect was Michael Milne who drafted in a 3rd round; #89 overall this year. I looked through his career stats. He could be a nice producer. Last season he has got 81 points(38 goals; 43 assists; +/- +56) in 68 played games during the regular season and 19 points (13 goals; 6 assists; +/- +18) during 15 playoffs games at WHL. It seems he will be assigned this season or to WHL or AHL. Final decision was not made yet.

Milne a product of the new Winnipeg Ice WHL team coaches by University of North Dakota product James Patrick. Team is loaded and some of its grads have made University of Manitoba a Canadian college power.

Edited by Icechipper

On 10/1/2022 at 11:44 PM, Icechipper said:

Milne a product of the new Winnipeg Ice WHL team coaches by University of North Dakota product James Patrick. Team is loaded and some of its grads have made University of Manitoba a Canadian college power.

UND just beat the University of Manitoba 5-1 this past weekend. It was worse than the score indicates. Pure domination by North Dakota 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2022-23 Iowa Wild and Prospects Thread **
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 1:24 PM, Alexandron said:

One of the prospects brought my attention today after Wild reduced training camp to 40.  That prospect was Michael Milne who drafted in a 3rd round; #89 overall this year. I looked through his career stats. He could be a nice producer. Last season he has got 81 points(38 goals; 43 assists; +/- +56) in 68 played games during the regular season and 19 points (13 goals; 6 assists; +/- +18) during 15 playoffs games at WHL. It seems he will be assigned this season or to WHL or AHL. Final decision was not made yet.

General Manager Bill Guerin announced the NHL Minnesota Wild club has signed today a very promising prospect Michael Milne to a 3 year entry level contract. Nice decision!!!

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/milne-entry-level-signing-101922/c-336550126