Wild trade Talbot to Ottawa.

Ottawa can score, the question is always whether the Senators can defend.  I think that will continue to improve, especially with Jake Sanderson in the fold.  The Senators are a team on the rise and I think Talbot could have a lot of fun there.  

Talbot didn't fire any parting shots at the Wild.  Seemed to be very appreciative of his time and for the most part his opportunity with the Wild.  Didn't really say anything about Guerin other than what they said to each other is between him and Bill.  

As a person pointed out on Twitter, there was no "thank you' tweet for Cam the team did for other players that it parted ways with.  For all of Guerin's alleged distaste for pettiness, it seems a bit petty to me.  

Wallstedt looked outstanding at Development Camp.  But I really don't think we'll see him with the big club at all unless something goes horribly wrong.  Even if they need an extra goaltender, I think they'll bring up Zane McIntyre before the bring up Wallstedt no matter how well he's playing.  Wallstedt is probably at least 2 years away, because he's a crucial prospect for this organization.  Looks promising so far.  

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 10:59 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Ottawa can score, the question is always whether the Senators can defend.  I think that will continue to improve, especially with Jake Sanderson in the fold.  The Senators are a team on the rise and I think Talbot could have a lot of fun there.  

Talbot didn't fire any parting shots at the Wild.  Seemed to be very appreciative of his time and for the most part his opportunity with the Wild.  Didn't really say anything about Guerin other than what they said to each other is between him and Bill.  

As a person pointed out on Twitter, there was no "thank you' tweet for Cam the team did for other players that it parted ways with.  For all of Guerin's alleged distaste for pettiness, it seems a bit petty to me.  

Wallstedt looked outstanding at Development Camp.  But I really don't think we'll see him with the big club at all unless something goes horribly wrong.  Even if they need an extra goaltender, I think they'll bring up Zane McIntyre before the bring up Wallstedt no matter how well he's playing.  Wallstedt is probably at least 2 years away, because he's a crucial prospect for this organization.  Looks promising so far.  

Finally they did 11 hours ago.

Minnesota Wild@mnwild

11h

One last shoutout to the Tal. Thanks for everything, Talbs!

Thank you Cam Talbot graphic from the Minnesota Wild. Shows Cam in two different pictures wearing Wild jerseys.

After being traded by Wild, goalie Cam Talbot says, 'I really didn't want to be moved'

"I didn't really want to be moved," Talbot told reporters on Thursday. "It played out in the media that maybe I had some ill will toward the organization or something like that. It wasn't like that at all."

Then maybe he needs to tell his wife and his agent to keep their yaps shut...

• Good Post 1

7 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

After being traded by Wild, goalie Cam Talbot says, 'I really didn't want to be moved'

"I didn't really want to be moved," Talbot told reporters on Thursday. "It played out in the media that maybe I had some ill will toward the organization or something like that. It wasn't like that at all."

Then maybe he needs to tell his wife and his agent to keep their yaps shut...

Wives and agents SHOULD keep their yaps shut, no matter who the player is, particularly if the aren't even close to representing what the player himself is feeling.

Imagine if you had some disagreement with your place of employment, they transferred you to someplace else, you weren't crazy about it, but still remained civil with your previous location, while looking ahead to the challenges of the new location....and your wife/gf/best friend/grandmother, whatever, starts hounding your workplace about transferring you.

Wouldn't make you look good at all, make you look like you felt some other way, or make you look like a twit who couldn't handle his own buseiness, even after you and the employer had just decided, "OK, didn't want to move, but business is business, I still have a job, a PROMOTION in fact (Talbot goes from either back up or half n half to de facto starter for instance), and am looking to take control of things over there!"

Social media can get people into trouble or portray them in ways they wouldn't want to be. One person's 'villain' is someone else's hero...depending on how the picture is painted.
And family, friends, and agents, who many times have different agendas, don't help matters when they go blasting away on things they should probably keep more in-house.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Why should they?  They don't work for the team.  They are their spouse or their client.  Should all fans have to be go team go to every move in order to attend games?  Or should they be able to criticize their team?

If Cam Talbot was raising a fuss or openly b%tching and moaning to his teammates about his role on the club or management that's one thing as he's a paid employee of the club.  But his wife and agent?  His agent's job is to represent his client and if talking to a GM and asking them to talk to their client is wrong then we'd see more trades league-wide.  

The trade happened at the draft, the extension occurred just prior to the start of the 1st round.  The agent who was probably there for other clients knew the GM one of his clients was having an issue with was in attendance so he took the chance to talk with him about it directly.  Unfortunately, others saw it and it became reported in the news.  

If Marc-Andre Fleury was the one who was sat for Game 1 instead of Talbot, how fast do you think his agent (Allan Walsh) would've redeployed the impalement meme he used a few years ago when he was playing for Vegas?  

His wife was angry, and said as much soon after the playoff decision was made.  Cam never complained, only was supportive of the team and Fleury.  His wife didn't say much more beyond that via social media.  I think she has every right to take a shot at the club.  

Just now, CreaseAndAssist said:

Why should they?  They don't work for the team.  They are their spouse or their client.  Should all fans have to be go team go to every move in order to attend games?  Or should they be able to criticize their team?

If Cam Talbot was raising a fuss or openly b%tching and moaning to his teammates about his role on the club or management that's one thing as he's a paid employee of the club.  But his wife and agent?  His agent's job is to represent his client and if talking to a GM and asking them to talk to their client is wrong then we'd see more trades league-wide.  

The trade happened at the draft, the extension occurred just prior to the start of the 1st round.  The agent who was probably there for other clients knew the GM one of his clients was having an issue with was in attendance so he took the chance to talk with him about it directly.  Unfortunately, others saw it and it became reported in the news.  

If Marc-Andre Fleury was the one who was sat for Game 1 instead of Talbot, how fast do you think his agent (Allan Walsh) would've redeployed the impalement meme he used a few years ago when he was playing for Vegas?  

His wife was angry, and said as much soon after the playoff decision was made.  Cam never complained, only was supportive of the team and Fleury.  His wife didn't say much more beyond that via social media.  I think she has every right to take a shot at the club.  

Crappy leadership never fails to punish those who criticize them.  All Guerin had to say was, "we can talk about it after the draft."  Instead he decided to make it more territorial and say, "I don't have to do ****."  That comment by Guerin helped make this as big as Talbot's wife and agent did.  

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I agree that his wife can post or say whatever she wants. I have no problem with that. But if an organization, GM or fan base gets tired of your significant other posting ****, don’t be disappointed or surprised if it comes back on you in some way shape or form. I’m not saying that’s the case here, because I don’t know for sure BG’s motivation for making the deal, but a player, Cam in this instance, shouldn’t think that fans and the organization won’t have some reaction to what she said.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Crappy leadership never fails to punish those who criticize them.  All Guerin had to say was, "we can talk about it after the draft."  Instead he decided to make it more territorial and say, "I don't have to do ****."  That comment by Guerin helped make this as big as Talbot's wife and agent did.  

I’m 110% behind BG and the direction he has taken, and appears to be taking, this team. Having said that, I didn’t care for the way he handled this deal with Talbot’s agent. It’s better for everyone in almost every single situation to keep things out of the public eye.   BG didn’t need ti make that statement to the press. 

Having said that, it’s a two way street. An agent confronting a GM about player personnel decisions regarding SIGNED PLAYERS on the draft room floor isn’t very professional.  I’d have probably dressed that agent down right there. It’s not the time or place.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

I agree that his wife can post or say whatever she wants. I have no problem with that. But if an organization, GM or fan base gets tired of your significant other posting ****, don’t be disappointed or surprised if it comes back on you in some way shape or form. I’m not saying that’s the case here, because I don’t know for sure BG’s motivation for making the deal, but a player, Cam in this instance, shouldn’t think that fans and the organization won’t have some reaction to what she said.

Seems like something that is pretty insecure about themselves would do.  If Fleury did this or agent puts out that meme, does Guerin trade him?  Why do I doubt that?  His wife should be able to say whatever the hell she wants.  If he's that insecure that comments from a players' spouse can prompt him to undo his idea of a tandem then maybe he's not as 'tough' as some people are giving him credit for.  Guerin made it a story by how he reacted.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

18 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

I’m 110% behind BG and the direction he has taken, and appears to be taking, this team. Having said that, I didn’t care for the way he handled this deal with Talbot’s agent. It’s better for everyone in almost every single situation to keep things out of the public eye.   BG didn’t need ti make that statement to the press. 

Having said that, it’s a two way street. An agent confronting a GM about player personnel decisions regarding SIGNED PLAYERS on the draft room floor isn’t very professional.  I’d have probably dressed that agent down right there. It’s not the time or place.

Its an opportunity.  The agent knew the GM was there, he probably knew he wasn't going to take a phone call since it was the draft.  However he went and talked to the guy face to face.  I think there is more to it than what was reported.  But since the media folks here try to help sell the Wild narrative they're going to stick with the story the Wild want to tell about it.  

At the end of the day, I believe Fleury and Talbot manning their own nets on their own teams is best for everyone involved anyway.
Some people could make a case that Fleury should have been the one manning a net elsewhere, and Talbot should have been the one staying in Minnesota and that is fine.

Bottom line is, that isn't the case, and it really is an opportunity for Talbot to show what he's got, or got left.
5 teams over the course of a 9-yr NHL career, with his longest single stop being in EDM for just four seasons, suggests that Bill Guerin wasn't the only GM who didn't think Talbot was "the guy" for them.

Cam will have his chance to put up or shut up with the up n coming Sens.
He won't have the defensive protection he enjoyed on the Wild, even though he may benefit from what looks to be, on paper at least, a better overall offense.
But he will still need to stop pucks, will still need to be at the top of his game, and still need to play the part of the Number One he thinks he is, game in, game out.

Things between the Wild and Cam seem to have been put behind both parties now, so the upcoming season is all that is left for Cam to prove Guerin made a mistake, or Fleury to prove Guerin correct, or even the possibility both flourish or fail in their respective roles.

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

At the end of the day, I believe Fleury and Talbot manning their own nets on their own teams is best for everyone involved anyway.
Some people could make a case that Fleury should have been the one manning a net elsewhere, and Talbot should have been the one staying in Minnesota and that is fine.

Bottom line is, that isn't the case, and it really is an opportunity for Talbot to show what he's got, or got left.
5 teams over the course of a 9-yr NHL career, with his longest single stop being in EDM for just four seasons, suggests that Bill Guerin wasn't the only GM who didn't think Talbot was "the guy" for them.

Cam will have his chance to put up or shut up with the up n coming Sens.
He won't have the defensive protection he enjoyed on the Wild, even though he may benefit from what looks to be, on paper at least, a better overall offense.
But he will still need to stop pucks, will still need to be at the top of his game, and still need to play the part of the Number One he thinks he is, game in, game out.

Things between the Wild and Cam seem to have been put behind both parties now, so the upcoming season is all that is left for Cam to prove Guerin made a mistake, or Fleury to prove Guerin correct, or even the possibility both flourish or fail in their respective roles.

But if its about $%cking winning like Guerin said, he needs to put his personal discomfort / ego aside and do what's best for the team and should have let them be a tandem.  I think Talbot would've been fine with that.  Would he have been thrilled if he again got shelved for the playoffs, probably not but by then he wouldn't be there much longer anyways.  If Guerin believed the tandem was beneficial, then he should have stuck with that.  

Now we have one goalie who we feel confident would be good in a tandem and a total unknown.  A guy known mostly because he hasn't done well with opportunity or pressure.  Sure its a probably a better defensive team in front of him but if they are trying to be as competitive as they could have been then the tandem was the way to go and we'd find another way to make the cap space necessary to get our last few roster spots.  

Cam will be fine with Ottawa.  Unless the ugly Hockey Canada thing comes back to bite them with Drake Batherson possibly implicated in that mess they still acquired more firepower in the offseason and I think their defense will also be improved with Sanderson starting out the year with Ottawa.  

If this implodes and Fleury struggles, etc...and we miss the playoffs then we can keep building through the draft while our cap purgatory continues.  I don't really have an issue with either scenario.  

31 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

But if its about $%cking winning like Guerin said, he needs to put his personal discomfort / ego aside and do what's best for the team and should have let them be a tandem.  I think Talbot would've been fine with that.  Would he have been thrilled if he again got shelved for the playoffs, probably not but by then he wouldn't be there much longer anyways.  If Guerin believed the tandem was beneficial, then he should have stuck with that.  

Now we have one goalie who we feel confident would be good in a tandem and a total unknown.  A guy known mostly because he hasn't done well with opportunity or pressure.  Sure its a probably a better defensive team in front of him but if they are trying to be as competitive as they could have been then the tandem was the way to go and we'd find another way to make the cap space necessary to get our last few roster spots.  

Cam will be fine with Ottawa.  Unless the ugly Hockey Canada thing comes back to bite them with Drake Batherson possibly implicated in that mess they still acquired more firepower in the offseason and I think their defense will also be improved with Sanderson starting out the year with Ottawa.  

If this implodes and Fleury struggles, etc...and we miss the playoffs then we can keep building through the draft while our cap purgatory continues.  I don't really have an issue with either scenario.  

But since you, I, or anyone else who isn't close to Guerin or Talbot know what BG's "personal discomfort" is, or what Cam "will be fine with", Guerin made the call to remove whatever potential distraction could crop up and make the moves he did, and it still is "status business quo" of a typical GM.

There was no guarantee, in fact, the odds seem stacked against Minnesota, of them doing well this season even with Fleury and Talbot in net, so if BG decides not only removing the potential distraction, but also seeing what a 24 yr old netminder who has yet to establish himself anywhere has, in Season 1 of 3 that will be tough sledding no matter what, then that is his prerogative and really, if it backfires, likely won't set the franchise back any worse than any other scenario.

I think it's people other than Guerin or Talbot making a bigger deal out of this whole Cam traded thing than the two main parties themselves are.
Probably to bolster their readerships, who knows.

If BG wants to keep trying to win, but the team iced fails at that, then the Wild always have the possibility of finally being to draft high, maybe even more than once, over the next three years and the so-called "embrace being bad" effect will have come to pass after all and it will be a win for the Wild, even if it is down the road a-ways.

Given where the Wild are at competitively, their competition, and the incoming cap vise, BG is navigating this probably a lot better than some other GMs might have.
Certainly better than our previous two GMs.

• Good Post 1

Was signing Fleury a mistake?

Maybe?, a bigger mistake would have been to keep Fleury and Talbot. 
Splitting time between the two might have worked until playoff time. Playing one above the other would have guaranteed one to be unhappy and wasted salary. 
With the cap crunch Guerin needed to move one. 
If you want to complain about anything it would be in signing Fleury to begin with. 

On 7/21/2022 at 1:30 PM, Tomdog said:

Was signing Fleury a mistake?

Maybe?, a bigger mistake would have been to keep Fleury and Talbot. 
Splitting time between the two might have worked until playoff time. Playing one above the other would have guaranteed one to be unhappy and wasted salary. 
With the cap crunch Guerin needed to move one. 
If you want to complain about anything it would be in signing Fleury to begin with. 

Wasted salary?  There are no salaries in the playoffs.  I don't think Fleury is an upgrade over Talbot at least at this point in his career.  Splitting time gets you to the playoffs; if that's what they feel is important the team has already demonstrated they don't care whose ego they bruise by putting one on the shelf over the other.  

As I said, if its about winning then you stick with the tandem.  Or just keep one and bring in a cheaper backup.  

All this really did was allow the team to keep Dumba one more season instead.  Is he going to be a difference maker?  I think its debateable at best.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:17 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Minnesota Wild trade Cam Talbot to Ottawa for Filip Gustavsson

I share my thoughts on the deal.  I will admit, this one I get a bit opinionated.  Not sure how this really helps us to win other than provide $$$ to fill out the last few roster spots.  

Sure, there won't be any real goaltender controversy but now you have to wonder if Gustavsson is good enough to start 25-30 games next season?  (sigh)

This move makes as much sense as... um, nothing really. Signing Talbot to a 3-year deal in the first place...

BG has screwed up the goalie department for the Wild in less than 6 months.

19 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

All this really did was allow the team to keep Dumba one more season instead.  Is he going to be a difference maker?  I think its debateable at best.

Hasn't been a difference maker in about 9 NHL seasons.  Why would that suddenly change now?  That contract Fenton gave him is ridiculous for a VERY overrated NHL dman.

40 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Hasn't been a difference maker in about 9 NHL seasons.  Why would that suddenly change now?  That contract Fenton gave him is ridiculous for a VERY overrated NHL dman.

I don't think you'll see many Wild fans here that disagree.  Sure, there is always the analytics crowd which always seems to find new stats to try to tell us he's really not as bad as we think he is.  Russo suggested the team might bring him back if he's willing to take like $4.5 million, but honestly why?  He'll be older and we have a ton of young defense prospects in our system?  Why would we want to block out a roster spot to keep him around?  

Dumba was the logical trading option to give us the cap space we needed to fill out the rest of our roster until Guerin decided to deal Talbot instead.  

He hasn't been the same since his fight with Matt Tkachuk and I think pretty much everyone knows it.  Which is why Russo reported there is virtually no interested for him in regards to being traded even though the Wild have reportedly been trying to quietly shop him again.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 1

I see Dumba like a version AA of Klingberg (sort of). They have a similar profile, belong to the same group of highly wanted offensive RHD and are both defensive liabilities. Dumba has lower numbers but is also two years younger. I think the contract Klingberg will get will give an indication of what Dumba might obtain.

21 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wasted salary?  There are no salaries in the playoffs.  I don't think Fleury is an upgrade over Talbot at least at this point in his career.  Splitting time gets you to the playoffs; if that's what they feel is important the team has already demonstrated they don't care whose ego they bruise by putting one on the shelf over the other.  

As I said, if its about winning then you stick with the tandem.  Or just keep one and bring in a cheaper backup.  

The wasted salary I referred to is the salary during the regular season when one of your starters is on the bench. 
Replacing Dumba would save salary cap but not necessarily replace the play. 
Is it better to have a 3 million dollar player on the bench and an unknown commodity playing, or an unknown commodity on the bench and a serviceable player on the ice. 
Do we know how Fleury and Talbot would work splitting time evenly? No. 
Is Matt Dumba overpaid based on what we see? Yes. 
Is Matt Dumba a top 4 defenseman? I think yes. 
Could he be better? Certainly. 
Take a good look at what a right handed defenseman with adequate size gets in this league and realize he isn’t overpaid as much as we think. 

• Good Post 1

3 hours ago, Tomdog said:

The wasted salary I referred to is the salary during the regular season when one of your starters is on the bench. 
Replacing Dumba would save salary cap but not necessarily replace the play. 
Is it better to have a 3 million dollar player on the bench and an unknown commodity playing, or an unknown commodity on the bench and a serviceable player on the ice. 
Do we know how Fleury and Talbot would work splitting time evenly? No. 
Is Matt Dumba overpaid based on what we see? Yes. 
Is Matt Dumba a top 4 defenseman? I think yes. 
Could he be better? Certainly. 
Take a good look at what a right handed defenseman with adequate size gets in this league and realize he isn’t overpaid as much as we think. 

It would've been a tandem.  They would still play a lot but not be played too much.  We saw how it worked at the end of last season.  If they both were not overtaxed for the post-season, it would be money well-spent since they need top notch goaltending after they traded away an 85-point scorer.  It worked out fine after the trade, it only became a problem when they just decided to use one over the other. 

A right shot defenseman who struggles to put shots on goal and isn't used on the power play; meh...that's not that tough to replace and he sure as hell isn't worth $6 million a season.  Not even close.  He's expendable and if he had any value, there would be interest but there isn't so that speaks for itself doesn't it?