Pea-Brain GM Signs Nicholas Deslauriers Who Can’t Play Hockey For 4 Years

SCFlyguy

6 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Don't hate the player. If you want, hate the guy who signed him, but Nick is a good guy. 

Just to really irritate you:

I think the only real question is, in what way are you related to him?

Your defense of an entirely worthless player who has done exactly nothing in his entire career is, um, humanitarian of you I guess, but otherwise really hard to comprehend unless you're related or a high school sweetheart or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Your defense of an entirely worthless player who has done exactly nothing in his entire career is, um, humanitarian of you I guess, but otherwise really hard to comprehend unless you're related or a high school sweetheart or something.

Golf pro relative maybe.

• Haha 1

Look, I get the defense here. Is the guy a good player, no, of course not. And this team needs good players right now. That makes this signing all the more repulsive. In a way, he's kinda like Gritty, he really has no effect on wins or loses, but he can be entertaining. I have no hate for him, he isn't SL or JVR. And given that this team is prolly going to be pathetic, having a guy out there who can stick up for these younger players while they are figuring things out, is not a bad option. Its not like Laughton's going to do it. He won't even stand up for himself. In recent years, we've seen numerous times when Flyer players get run at and pushed around. Personally I don't want to see Farabee defending himself, or Frost (if ever makes the lineup).

So yeah, ND isn't a good hockey player. So what. I'll be happy with a little old school Flyer approach

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Look, I get the defense here. Is the guy a good player, no, of course not. And this team needs good players right now. That makes this signing all the more repulsive. In a way, he's kinda like Gritty, he really has no effect on wins or loses, but he can be entertaining. I have no hate for him, he isn't SL or JVR. And given that this team is prolly going to be pathetic, having a guy out there who can stick up for these younger players while they are figuring things out, is not a bad option. Its not like Laughton's going to do it. He won't even stand up for himself. In recent years, we've seen numerous times when Flyer players get run at and pushed around. Personally I don't want to see Farabee defending himself, or Frost (if ever makes the lineup).

So yeah, ND isn't a good hockey player. So what. I'll be happy with a little old school Flyer approach

With Zack MacEwen being younger and needing a contract as well as being able to do what Nic can do well i see no need at all to bring him in....with that contract they could have brought in a better player like Calle Jarnkrok for example.

It really feels like Chuckles WANTS to be fired....and they won't do it....yet...must be something else they want him to take the fall for. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Yeah, I get that.   And from what I've seen of him, he's not a floater.  The guy works; he's just not that great at it.    But I'll give him credit for working.

It's also not his fault that some idiot offered him $50K for an order of medium fries.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I just don't hate on the guy. You can't seem to get the distinction between hating the guy vs. hating the guy who signed him. You shouldn't blame Nick for signing a generous contract.

Sure he's low skill, but he's a team player and he works hard and he stands up and you will enjoy moments from him this year, you will. So I don't hate HIM. I hate FLETCHER. 

get it now????

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

12 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I just don't hate on the guy. You can't seem to get the distinction between hating the guy vs. hating the guy who signed him. You shouldn't blame Nick for signing a generous contract.

Sure he's low skill, but he's a team player and he works hard and he stands up and you will enjoy moments from him this year, you will. So I don't hate HIM. I hate FLETCHER. 

get it now????

Not extactly, no.  I don't.

I don't need a guy who "stands up" and has no other marketable skill whatsoever.  Send a german sheppard out there and accomplish the same thing.

Yes, I hate Fletcher more.   It's a ridiculous signing on its face for someone we don't need and who provides exactly nothing of value, and who is an astounding waste of a contract at any price and at any term.

I won't enjoy any moments from him this year.  I can guarantee that.    

It's not that I hate him.  I just think he's a blob on skates.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't need a guy who "stands up" and has no other marketable skill whatsoever.  Send a german sheppard out there and accomplish the same thing

Hockey teams have had guys like this on their rosters forever. The Flyers have had more tan their fair share

I think you're so grumpy at the state of the Flyers right now, you'd argue they are really fro Philadelphia

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

get it now????

The truth of the matter is too was he actually got market value.

See Reeves with the Rangers just signed an extension for 1.75 mill.

But I get both sides of it.

And I ain't mad at Nic. In fact can't blame him.

It is Chuck that is the damn problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Hockey teams have had guys like this on their rosters forever. The Flyers have had more tan their fair share

I think you're so grumpy at the state of the Flyers right now, you'd argue they are really fro Philadelphia

They haven't recently, though. You simply cannot afford the salary cap or the contract slot.

There's people that excel at this but are good at other things. He does not.

And there are people that come and go that do only this but they don't get 4 years M-NTC and 2.1% of the cap hit.

I don't understand the last part, but you're right that I'm grumpy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

You simply cannot afford the salary cap or the contract slot.

The only good news about the contract is you can waive him if need be for a body, to have to keep from waiving someone else who may get claimed because no one is picking him up and that contract.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The only good news about the contract is you can waive him if need be for a body, to have to keep from waiving someone else who may get claimed because no one is picking him up and that contract.

You know it's a bad offseason when THIS is good news.

But fair point

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You know it's a bad offseason when THIS is good news.

Uh no not my point.

But he can br waived with no worries.

And if he is the team player as I have read he should have no problem with this.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Uh no not my point.

But he can br waived with no worries.

And if he is the team player as I have read he should have no problem with this.

Oh no, I know that was your point.  And it's a good one.   Just kind of ruefully commenting that it's kind of sad that this qualifies as "good" news.

"Mrs. Kennedy, we have good news.  There's no blood on your purse."

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

if the flyers organization had a pulse like the rest of the three organizations phillies, eagles, sixers, we probably wouldnt be here at all. that's the major problem with flyers is that they dont listen to the fans when it comes to getting stars, they do things their way and everything goes to crap, that's what i miss about ed snider, he cared so much about the fanbase and he wanted to win, that what his passion and gave us what we wanted, we are ones paying this too. we not paying to see gritty.

what we want is people that gives a s### about this team and listens to us like doing everything in their power to improve this team and give us stars that's all we want.

• Like 1

This ND signing kind of makes some sense from a business perspective. I read on here somewhere, someone saying he will have 15 fights this season (Thats about 14 more than Scott Laughton). Ok, that will be a significant uptick in fights, assuming ZM doesn't drop the gloves more. The Flyers are known, and regarded for fighting. Fans love it. Given that it is almost a certainty that there will be alot of empty seats, having more players fighting may draw more fans to the arena. It has been argued on here the merits of butts in the seats, so I won't rehash any of that. However, if rough and tumble players can draw fan enthusiasm, that isnt a bad thing from a business perspective. In the mean time, Tortorella can focus on building the team with the core players, and youngsters coming up. He can get his system in place, without really being concerned about ND, his contract, or overall value to the club long term. And as OC stated, the guy can be waived as soon as his usefulness is gone. I also think there is some value in having a player like this to watch the back of others. Hell, if Riley Cote can become well liked in Philly, so can ND. After all Cote only won one fight in his entire career (2 if you count the same guy twice in the same game), and prolly set an NHL record for most damage to opposing players fist by headbutting them with his face.

None of what I am typing suggests the guy is a good player, or that I like the deal. I don't. It was stupid, and I hate Fletcher, he's a dick. But I guess the aggressive "retool" is dead, and even though it isn't being said, it looks like a rebuild to me, with the exception they have no money to bring in any young talent. I think they are just trying to tred water now, give the fans something to watch, while waiting to jettison the dead weight next season