Lost Gaudreau and Gudbrandson...what next...😫😫😫

thegx.ca

13 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

My point was that a small market in the middle of nowhere in Canada already faces disadvantages that won't exist elsewhere, and that they face extra struggles to not only get good players but keep good players, and that there is a special irony in that those players are sometimes lost to markets which aren't exactly hockey Meccas.

Β 

And that's a valid point.

Β 

But the flip side of that is that players have agitated to get out of Columbus for years, including a guy who recently forced his way out to go to a small market team in the middle of nowhere Canada.

Β 

Gaudreau wanted to play on the East Coast.

Β 

Rick Nash and Artemi Panarin both engineered their way to New York.

Β 

John Tavares really really really wanted to play in Tronno.

Β 

Claude Giroux engineered his trade to Florida then walked away to sign in with home town Ottawa.

Β 

It happens.

• Like 1

If I might jump in, fiscality and taxation are also a point that could play a role. When the was a UFA, the Stars gave him an offer that was matched by Bergevin. At that time, the Stars were maybe a bit better but not far away of the Habs. Radulov played the honest guy, saying he had already given his verbal yes to Nill but even if both contract were exactly the same, it was still very different moneywise for Radulov between the most taxed area in North America, and friendly Texas. He kept much more money left in his pocket in Dallas than if he had stayed in MontrΓ©al.

Β 

Petry will also save something like $600k yearly in Pittsburgh. Not a key factor but not neglectible though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Math said:

If I might jump in, fiscality and taxation are also a point that could play a role. When the was a UFA, the Stars gave him an offer that was matched by Bergevin. At that time, the Stars were maybe a bit better but not far away of the Habs. Radulov played the honest guy, saying he had already given his verbal yes to Nill but even if both contract were exactly the same, it was still very different moneywise for Radulov between the most taxed area in North America, and friendly Texas. He kept much more money left in his pocket in Dallas than if he had stayed in MontrΓ©al.

Β 

Petry will also save something like $600k yearly in Pittsburgh. Not a key factor but not neglectible though.

Β 

Yes; taxes are one of the things I'm talking about here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Β 

Yes; taxes are one of the things I'm talking about here.

Β 

Also plays a role in him being in OH and not NJ. NJ has a millionaire's tax of 10% over $5M. That's ~$500K on $10M.

Β 

PA state income tax actually would have been the lowest of the three.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Β 

Also plays a role in him being in OH and not NJ. NJ has a millionaire's tax of 10% over $5M. That's ~$500K on $10M.

Β 

PA state income tax actually would have been the lowest of the three.

Β 

I ran the numbers, but was away from my desk

Β 

Assuming a $9.75M contract, annual state income tax for

NJ: $1,032,287
OH: $465,252

PA: $299,325

Β 

For Ohio, that's $3.5M over the life of the contract he's not getting in New Jersey. Just over $1.1M difference between Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Β 

*I am not a tax accountant or lawyer and do not play either of them on teevee

Β 

Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Both of which are set to be UFAs in '23-24, with Hubey being 30 and Weegar being 29 when that time arrives.

Yeah but at least we'll have the year to see what they can do to help and figure out where to send trade if they don't want to stay either...really appreciate Tkachuk for letting Calgary know beforehand he wouldn't stay...

• Like 1