The Flyers fans Rant Thread after D-Day (Disaster Day)

pilldoc

How do you really feel?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Flyers off season so far. (includes Trades / FA signings)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. Rate the Flyers Draft

• A - Outstanding
    • B- - Good
    • C - OK
    • D- Meh - could have been better
    • F - Epic Failure
  3. 3. How many games do the Flyers win this season?

• 50+ (Stanley Cup Bound)
    • 45-50 (Playoff Bound)
    • 35-45 (Close but no playoffs)
    • 25-35 (just a bad hockey team)
    • less than 25 (horrifically bad and in the chase for Bedard)
  4. 4. Will you watch this team at all this year .....

• Hell Yes! - I am a die hard fan no matter what
    • Yes but not as many games as in years past
    • No - the occasional score check and if I am bored or into FHL
    • Hell No! - this team is a train wreck and a disaster and not worth my time this year.
  5. 5. When do you think Fletch gets fired

• Oct. (start of the season 10-15 games in)
    • Nov or Dec (15-35 games in)
    • Jan or Feb (35-50 games in)
    • After Feb (50 + games in)
    • He will not be fired during the season

Fletcher has been consistently out GM'd by every other GM in the League.  The problem in Philly is not just his own personal shortcomings and ineptitude as a manager, but the even bigger problem that nobody in ownership or the organization as a whole seems to know how to build and run a program, after Snider died, does anyone inside even care anymore?  The team has become an afterthought, a sideshow.

Why did Gaudreau go to the Blue Jackets (which I don't mind because it'll be fun to watch him play)?  Because he wanted to have fun.  Because the organization has its schite together.  Until the Flyers can fix the organization from top to bottom - with the GM being just one cog on the wheel - they will forever bumble and never be competitive.  It's my opinion that they never fully adapted to or recovered from the change in League rules Bettman made over a decade ago.  And, in this era of salary caps for whatever reason, they just can't figure it out - maybe too many moving pieces.  But if we can do it on this board, I mean come on.  I've read so many good posts from all of you that we could put together a better team. 

Don't get me wrong - I loved watching the old Flyers, best hockey ever.  But as much as I hate to say it, and stating the obvious, they haven't been competitive for 20 years and they are no longer an organization that players want to play for.  They're an organization that other teams take advantage of every time we shoot ourselves in the foot.  If I'm Gaudreau why do I want to come here?  Regardless of length of contract or salary or whatever the offer is.  I'm a no every time.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

8 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

I don't know who's *really* to blame here: is it Homer and Clarke as master of puppets? Is it braindead, clueless Dave Scott? Is it Valerie and the Comcast marketing team? I do know that Chuck will get, and deserves, 100% of the blame right now. And the team is just as clueless and braindead.

All of them are to blame in varying amounts ........

8 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

That post announcing Deslauriers yesterday was an absolute insult to the fans.

In addition its an insult to the history of this franchise.....

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 3

I suspect we will be looking at this as a watershed/low point.  The backup goalie signing is OK given his record--if nothing else, a sound AHL player.  The other two--OMG.  Yes, Braun will be a good role model and an OK spot player.  That said, his re-up is a sad commentary on the Ellis mess--what we gave up to get him and the uncertainty his potential LTIR status makes for the franchise.  The Deslauriers gig is simply beyond me.  Weise Redux on Steroids.  

If nothing else, I am happy for Oskar...as suspected, he was taken quickly and I hope he blossoms out in San Jose.  

Aggressive retool....BS. 

5 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I suspect we will be looking at this as a watershed/low point.  The backup goalie signing is OK given his record--if nothing else, a sound AHL player.  The other two--OMG.  Yes, Braun will be a good role model and an OK spot player.  That said, his re-up is a sad commentary on the Ellis mess--what we gave up to get him and the uncertainty his potential LTIR status makes for the franchise.  The Deslauriers gig is simply beyond me.  Weise Redux on Steroids.  

If nothing else, I am happy for Oskar...as suspected, he was taken quickly and I hope he blossoms out in San Jose.  

Aggressive retool....BS. 

That’s another one, Howie. Given how quickly a team moved on Oskar, Chuck’s best move was to buy him out and get nothing back for him??? I guess we should be thankful he didn’t throw in a pick a la ghost, but he didn’t even try to get anything for Oskar before he cut him?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, OH1FlyersFan said:

they haven't been competitive for 20 years and they are no longer an organization that players want to play for. 

They have never adapted to the cap that they helped force the league to adopt.

It doesn't matter if a player "wants to come here" if they can't fit him under the cap. By all accounts Gaudreau wanted to play here. Thankfully, they weren't able to get it done but it appears that the only thing that stopped it was not giving up a potential top 5 pick to move JVR...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

That’s another one, Howie. Given how quickly a team moved on Oskar, Chuck’s best move was to buy him out and get nothing back for him??? I guess we should be thankful he didn’t throw in a pick a la ghost, but he didn’t even try to get anything for Oskar before he cut him?

I can't figure out the OL rationale unless they saw nothing in the tank. Apparently the Sharks reckoned it was worth the gamble. 

I'm one of those "Aren't worth my time." people. We know what they are. Yesterday, I finally had enough. They need to clean out the ENTIRE FRONT OFFICE, at all costs. The true fans that care about the franchise, have to make it perfectly clear to their ENTIRE FRONT OFFICE, that the way they run things and their utter stupidity and ignorance..will no longer be tolerated. They can take Comcast with them. They are part of the problem. They botched the Gaudreau thing..then they bring back Braun and overpay Deslauries or however, the hell you spell his name. I won't take the time and effort to figure out how to spell his name, since they don't take the time to try and appease or relate, to their fanbase. I would rather root for the Avs. I DESERVE winning hockey. They won't get me to buy, merchandise, tickets or anything else related to them, until this franchise gives a damn about the fans. I'm sick of this Flyers franchise's S*it. I've said it before. They are nothing more than a Flyers Alumni and Friends Employment Program.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

None of the Flyers’ stated goals hold up under scrutiny. They want to be “harder to play against,” but the players they’re acquiring to do so (Ristolainen, Deslauriers, MacEwen) have historically made it significantly easier for the other team to have the puck the majority of the time. They want to be building for the future, but they’re still burning draft picks on DeAngelo with the aim of … protecting York and Ronnie Attard from tougher minutes as rookies? They want to improve now, but after an offseason that — assuming there are no more big moves looming — they didn’t improve the team much on paper, they’re banking almost entirely on the impact of their new coaching staff and a questionably constructed blue line corps to drive said improvement. Both are legitimate unknowns.

“I just want us to pick a direction,” T.J. Edwards — one of the fans who showed up at the Flyers Training Center to express his displeasure with Fletcher and the Flyers — explained after Fletcher’s availability concluded. “Are we gonna go for it? If we’re gonna go for it, then let’s go for it. If not, let’s tear it down and rebuild. The middle ground’s getting us nowhere. I’m sick and tired of this mediocrity.”

Outside of a couple toddlers here, most fans will tolerate a rebuild if the team is honest about what is going on, such as the Rangers did or Blackhawks are doing.  The former started their rebuild in 2018 and got to an ECF before we did.  I expect the latter will bottom out, rebuild, and get to a conference final before we do as well.

Chuck can play semantics with Charlie O’Connor all he wants. He can say “retool” and then describe a rebuild. What he’s engineering, if we use that term generally and generously, with these moves is neither one of those things. The heart of the freaking problem. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

57 minutes ago, radoran said:

They have never adapted to the cap that they helped force the league to adopt.

It doesn't matter if a player "wants to come here" if they can't fit him under the cap. By all accounts Gaudreau wanted to play here. Thankfully, they weren't able to get it done but it appears that the only thing that stopped it was not giving up a potential top 5 pick to move JVR...

Totally agree on the cap - nothing can ever happen if they can't make it work under the cap.  Stupid cap!!  If he really did want to be here, then it really is Fletcher's fault for mismanaging things so badly that he couldn't figure out how to make it work.  And Hextall's, and Holmgren's, and Clarke Part Deux.  It's a problem that's been compounded by every GM since Farwell.

But it sure feels to me, from the outside looking in and I have no knowledge of anything at all, but it feels to me like the organization is at best disorganized and at worst toxic. I think players can feel that.  Who's offering me the best chance to win with all the pieces and parts --- and it's not this organization. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

I expect the latter will bottom out, rebuild, and get to a conference final before we do as well.

You forgot, "... and beat us in the lottery to get the #1 pick in 2023."

• Like 1

The franchise is run by totally stupid, backwards, ignorant, snot-nosed, arrogant and pompous individuals. All run by a company, that is stupid, backwards, ignorant, snot-nosed, arrogant and pompous - Comcast. Perfect. I mean the Johnny Gaudreau thing, AFTER the DeAngelo signing..coupled with Deslauriers and the other laughable moves they made, had done it for me. I'm finished. Oh boy, they signed Braun. LOL. What a slap to the face of your fanbase, Flyers management/ownership. Sell the franchise, move it, burn it to the ground. We're the fifth largest market in the USA. We'll get another franchise, unless Bettman and Co. are bigger morons than I believe them to be. I mean watching Fletcher did, and then his press conference with him stating that they were never in on a guy.. who wanted to play here, and had over 100 point last year, makes me physically ill. They must all be held accountable with their jobs. All of them. It is now the fans turns, to have their say and judge them. I said it before...it'll, most likely, be a long time before I come back.

• Like 4

The Devils get Palat, a great mentor for their younger guys, a solid clutch player. $30mil for 5 years, should've been doable for the Flyers. But instead it's Deslauries and Deangelo. And Braun.

What a makeover...it'll be hard to surpass last year's suckage but this roster has a good chance to do just that. Maybe they'll be better bc Couturier will be back but the team identity, the "buy-in" that every team needs to build a winning culture? I don't see how anyone could buy into that roster. Might be entertaining seeing Tortorella lose his mind every night ...that's about it.

• Like 4

The next shoe to drop will probably be the ongoing uncertainty of Ellis's health status. Fletcher intimated that was a problem in the presser.  I said this a few months ago--let's pray we avoid another Peter Forsberg saga. The old-timers will remember the crap we experienced with this foot--he was in and out of the lineup, sometimes there was progress with surgery or a new skate boot...blah, blah.  Thankfully we got some players and picks from Nashville when we said goodbye.  If Ellis is irreparable--hate to say that about a person--let's hope we find out soon and it is a done deal--he is gone, at least for a season, if not forever.  Granted, Fletcher wouldn't know how to plan accordingly, but at least there is greater lineup certainty.  If he is out for the season...well, in theory we could get some replacement(s).  Sadly, with CF, we might get another goon or two, or maybe he tries to sign another KHL player....

Bottom line--The Ellis trade could continue to be the gift that keeps taking.  

• Like 3

Okay, I know the poll was deliberately set for anonymity, but I am simply dying to know who the awesomely funny troll is who gave the Flyers offseason an A.  Is that A  for asinine?

Well done to whomever.  It made me laugh.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The Devils get Palat, a great mentor for their younger guys, a solid clutch player. $30mil for 5 years, should've been doable for the Flyers. But instead it's Deslauries and Deangelo. And Braun.

What a makeover...it'll be hard to surpass last year's suckage but this roster has a good chance to do just that. Maybe they'll be better bc Couturier will be back but the team identity, the "buy-in" that every team needs to build a winning culture? I don't see how anyone could buy into that roster. Might be entertaining seeing Tortorella lose his mind every night ...that's about it.

I feel like they should maybe even sell Carter Hart before they completely ruin his confidence this season.

They may have to call NATO in to help ease the shelling he is about to receive.

In maybe Carter Hart should apply for NATO with Sweden and Finland.....

....I feel for the guy they finally find a goalie and don't know how to build from the net out.

Clueless.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I feel like they should maybe even sell Carter Hart before they completely ruin his confidence this season.

They may have to call NATO in to help ease the shelling he is about to receive.

In maybe Carter Hart should apply for NATO with Sweden and Finland.....

....I feel for the guy they finally find a goalie and don't know how to build from the net out.

Clueless.

They should fire the goalie coach.  I feel like I should know his name, but I can't remember it.    

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Okay, I know the poll was deliberately set for anonymity, but I am simply dying to know who the awesomely funny troll is who gave the Flyers offseason an A.  Is that A  for asinine?

Well done to whomever.  It made me laugh.

That was me.  It provided plenty of entertainment, confirmed the org's absolute stupidity, and did less long term damage to the cap/team than I thought.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

That was me.  It provided plenty of entertainment, confirmed the org's absolute stupidity, and did less long term damage to the cap/team than I thought.

I swear to God I thought it might be you.    Under the theory it was sarcasm/snark.

Well done, sir.  Well done!

• Like 1