The Flyers fans Rant Thread after D-Day (Disaster Day)

pilldoc

How do you really feel?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Flyers off season so far. (includes Trades / FA signings)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. Rate the Flyers Draft

• A - Outstanding
    • B- - Good
    • C - OK
    • D- Meh - could have been better
    • F - Epic Failure
  3. 3. How many games do the Flyers win this season?

• 50+ (Stanley Cup Bound)
    • 45-50 (Playoff Bound)
    • 35-45 (Close but no playoffs)
    • 25-35 (just a bad hockey team)
    • less than 25 (horrifically bad and in the chase for Bedard)
  4. 4. Will you watch this team at all this year .....

• Hell Yes! - I am a die hard fan no matter what
    • Yes but not as many games as in years past
    • No - the occasional score check and if I am bored or into FHL
    • Hell No! - this team is a train wreck and a disaster and not worth my time this year.
  5. 5. When do you think Fletch gets fired

• Oct. (start of the season 10-15 games in)
    • Nov or Dec (15-35 games in)
    • Jan or Feb (35-50 games in)
    • After Feb (50 + games in)
    • He will not be fired during the season

48 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

How long will the dysfunction go on?

For as long as they approve of his doings it will go on.

And when they need a scapegoat because the fans have brought the torches out and are ready to burn the rink down well then Chuckles will fall on his blade I imagine.

:PopcornSmiley2:

my god, chuck says we cant move salary, what a pathetic gm. you can move sanheim, tk, provy like what's so hard about moving from some of these players? let york, zamula, and another young d come in and see what they got, they are nothing special and you have your experienced right pairing d, that's pretty much balanced. and sign johnny g, build the talent pool.

and let some of the younger right wingers play, maybe they will pan out better. that's what the salary cap is about, playing more youth with talent that's how you work with the cap. tampa and colorado has been doing this, they are not shipping out youth, they are shipping out vets and keeping talent with youth.

6 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

my god, chuck says we cant move salary, what a pathetic gm. you can move sanheim, tk, provy like what's so hard about moving from some of these players? let york, zamula, and another young d come in and see what they got, they are nothing special and you have your experienced right pairing d, that's pretty much balanced. and sign johnny g, build the talent pool.

and let some of the younger right wingers play, maybe they will pan out better. that's what the salary cap is about, playing more youth with talent that's how you work with the cap. tampa and colorado has been doing this, they are not shipping out youth, they are shipping out vets and keeping talent with youth.

He “can’t” get rid of those guys because he ran out of draft picks to give away with them. In Chuck’s mind, nobody would give them (us) a fair trade—they (we) have to pay the other team a dowry. And to him, every trade is like bringing your only daughter to Genghis ****** Khan. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

He “can’t” get rid of those guys because he ran out of draft picks to give away with them. In Chuck’s mind, nobody would give them (us) a fair trade—they (we) have to pay the other team a dowry. And to him, every trade is like bringing your only daughter to Genghis ****** Khan. 

and you know something else it was reported that there were 5 teams interested in jvr so why would you have to part a pick to get rid of him if there was a market for him? the reason why we got rid of ghost was because there was no market for him, no one wanted him. so it's telling me that chuck wanted a 2023 first round pick for jvr and nothing else. that's bad management, you have to take what you can get to get rid of salary and not wait for someone to blow you away on players because if they start struggling next year, you wont get as much back.

the thing is jvr, tk, sanheim, provy, they all should have been traded at the deadline because we needed cap space, that's the reason the 07 rebuild so successful because homer got rid of the contracts, got assets back and used them to get players and signed danny briere.

Edited by tucson83

On 7/16/2022 at 12:27 PM, tucson83 said:

and you know something else it was reported that there were 5 teams interested in jvr so why would you have to part a pick to get rid of him if there was a market for him?

Because the "market" that was for him was wanting the 2023 1st to go with JVR to wherever.

And i'm glad he said no. Rightfully so. He will still try so type of move soon i think which scares me.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
It's a Pleco power play!!!!!!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tucson83 said:

I'm here to remind you that at the beginning of last year you said that Fletcher fixed the defense and that this offseason he would fix the offense.

2 hours ago, tucson83 said:

and you know something else it was reported that there were 5 teams interested in jvr so why would you have to part a pick to get rid of him if there was a market for him? the reason why we got rid of ghost was because there was no market for him, no one wanted him. so it's telling me that chuck wanted a 2023 first round pick for jvr and nothing else. that's bad management, you have to take what you can get to get rid of salary and not wait for someone to blow you away on players because if they start struggling next year, you wont get as much back.

the thing is jvr, tk, sanheim, provy, they all should have been traded at the deadline because we needed cap space, that's the reason the 07 rebuild so successful because homer got rid of the contracts, got assets back and used them to get players and signed danny briere.

You don't happen to own a Lumina and enjoy halibut, do you?

#InquiringMinds

• Haha 1

TribLIVE: Mark Madden: Flyers continue to look foolish with offseason decisions.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-flyers-continue-to-look-foolish-with-offseason-decisions/

Madden is a douche and I wouldn't cross the street to piss on him if he was on fire. 

But he's right.

15 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Madden is a douche and I wouldn't cross the street to piss on him if he was on fire. 

But he's right.

Yes he is.

And just to show you were i expect the Flyers to get bent over and like always never suck enough to actual reap any benefits...

PICK TEAM PLAYER POSITION JUNIOR LEAGUE TEAM HT WT
1Pi3Xsnn6xgk.svg
CHI
Connor Bedard RHC Canada
5' 10"
QVHJrtwcTlg2.svg
ARI
Matvei Michkov LHRW Russia
5' 9"
m4Uo2BeBUTdD.svg
ANA
Adam Fantilli LHC Canada
6' 2"
PG6jZwWqYHPF.svg
MON
Dalibor Dvorsky LHC Slovakia
6' 1"
hgxDYc3xkBkD.svg
SEA
Charlie Stramel RW United States
6' 3"
vNYUffI66MTX.svg
SJ
Zach Benson LHC Canada
5' 10"
D6cSHQNYmLjL.svg
BUF
Brayden Yager RHC Canada
6' 0"
qn3GEVEYE4Sj.svg
PHI
Nate Danielson RHC Canada
6' 1"

The thing that comes to mind on this mess is poor drafting/development.  Five years ago, we believed that Hexy had it right--stockpile goal and d prospects and build out from there.  There was hope.  Now we see that maybe, the goal is OK, but the D hasn't panned out.  So, you bring in Ellis.  That doesn't work.  You bring in TD to fix Ellis...Oy, and you give up a bundle to sign Rasmus.  Meanwhile, our D prospects is at best mixed, and Provy isn't the stud we thought he'd be.  

CF's work is deplorable, but sadly, I think it reflects this franchise's biggest hole--drafting and development.  If our D picks had panned out, maybe we wouldn't have as big a mess.  

• Like 1

You can definitely fault Hextall's drafting - he drafted some good players, but no stars and definitely no superstars.

The bigger fault is that he tried to turn around the team without really rebuilding.  This seems like it was a mandate from above given what's transpired since, but we don't know for sure if he actually agreed with this approach or not.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Five years ago, we believed that Hexy had it right--stockpile goal and d prospects and build out from there.  There was hope.  Now we see that maybe, the goal is OK, but the D hasn't panned out.

Hard to say.

Some injury didn't help, but the defense would be decent.  The problem with Hextall is he was interrupted by the Fossils and forced to go off-script by a bunch of jealous, vindictive frauds who were left the keys to the (dying) kingdom by the death of Snider and an imbecile, Scott.   Enter JVR.

The Flyers started the gear shift too early and with a mistake signing--I don't know but I'm betting under the objection and duress of the architect.

No GM will get all of them right. Jay O'Brien was an act of arrogance.  But the defense picks also generated Provorov and Sanheim. Two bonafide NHLers.

Hagg was not a Hextall pick, but he allowed him to stay in the system and grow.  He was really under-appreciated by the fan base, but he made a lot less than Risto for at least the same return.

Out of his 5 drafts, quite a few saw NHL time, which is a feat -- though possibly helped by the dearth of talent at the NHL level.

He had finally gotten us out of cap hell, only to be forced (my theory, but arguably valid) to waste it on JVR and then only to have that situation exacerbated by Cheek Flutcker.   So, here we are, exactly where we were when Holmgren was firpremoted.

I don't blame Hextall for this, and I recognize I'm in the minority. I blame Holmgren. And I blame the Lumina-driving, halibut-gulping, looney segment of the Flyers fan base 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

You can definitely fault Hextall's drafting - he drafted some good players, but no stars and definitely no superstars.

The bigger fault is that he tried to turn around the team without really rebuilding.  This seems like it was a mandate from above given what's transpired since, but we don't know for sure if he actually agreed with this approach or not.

This. I'll buy this.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Out of his 5 drafts, quite a few saw NHL time, which is a feat -- though possibly helped by the dearth of talent at the NHL level.

In honesty THIS is what set them back.

When Ron took over there was no real good young talent coming up really so THIS lack of talent is what lead to the kids being rush into the lineup there was no good talent for them to really beat out.

So it is really Holmgren's lack of resupplying the stables and well Ron's kid's were rushed.

If there was any good talent to keep Patrick out the lineup God knows how that path may have been different, it may not....but it also may have.

So Ron took the fall for Paul. But well Ron had his down falls too. But he never got a chance to finish what he was doing - his vision. Right or wrong. And well it only got worse with his replacement.

But CF so far real hard to tell but his drafts don't look that bad.

In fact i would love to just hit a button and reboot to his draft picks to see what it would look like.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

CF so far real hard to tell but his drafts don't look that bad.

Hard to say, as you said.

York and Brink look good, and so long as Foerster recovers from injury, he looks good.  I'm hopeful for Andrae and Wisdom, but similar to the way I was hopeful about several Hextall picks at equivalent stages.   So far, the actual picks seem "so far, so good," though maybe there were better picks available (I liked York).   And I would have gone a different way this year, but the pick seems okay.

The picks are defensible and are what they are.

For me, it's the picks willy-nilly traded away--ala Holmgren pre-Hextall, that caused the talent-barren system that you mentioned--that really bother me.

It's a philosophical difference, but just like trickle-down, theirs is one that is demonstrably full of ####.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Hard to say, as you said.

York and Brink look good, and so long as Foerster recovers from injury, he looks good.  I'm hopeful for Andrae and Wisdom, but similar to the way I was hopeful about several Hextall picks at equivalent stages.   So far, the actual picks seem "so far, so good," though maybe there were better picks available (I liked York).   And I would have gone a different way this year, but the pick seems okay.

The picks are defensible and are what they are.

For me, it's the picks willy-nilly traded away--ala Holmgren pre-Hextall, that caused the talent-barren system that you mentioned--that really bother me.

It's a philosophical difference, but just like trickle-down, theirs is one that is demonstrably full of ####.

What sets them back further is they don't seem to be getting the coaching they need to really reach potential.

So maybe until they get a true good coach in LV we will continue to see youth stay in the lineup and up for long.

I think Lappy is a good dude and has a great relationship with the kids but that doesn't mean he is a good teach on the ice.

This has to be Lappy's last year there if they don't get to the playoffs too much talent to not be challenging more down there.

• Like 1