Who will be the Flyer's 19th team Captain?

Who will be the Flyer's 19th team Captain?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Flyer's 19th team Captain?

• Sean Couturier
    • Ivan Provorov
    • Travis Sanheim
    • Travis Konecny
    • Cam Atkinson
    • Kevin Hayes
    • Scott Laughton
    • James Van Riemsdyk
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Joel Farabee
    • Other

Seriously, why do they need a Captain? Just becasue every other team has one? There are lots of thing they dont have that other NHL teams do

goals....

a defense....

wins....

good players ....

competent management ....

a clue ....

cap space .....

this is a much fun as eh "captain"  game

Edited by CoachX
  • Haha 2

Kevin Hayes should wear the C. He’s been trying to throw his weight around (off the ice that is) since before he got there, complaining and second guessing everything he doesn’t like. There’s nobody better to represent Chuck Fletcher’s Flyers.

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda feel like Torts won't rush it. He seems like the kind of guy who could be very picky with a captain choice -- some might say too picky even. I don't know that for sure, he just seems to be more a prove it first guy than a seize the day guy. That would seem an especially difficult thing to do with this roster as constructed, at least as it comes to on-ice performance. Couts is certainly the most proven player on the team, but he's not a generational talent type guy who can single handedly win games. It may be hard for him to stand out on the ice, not because he sucks, but because he's got little to work with. He may feel the loss of Giroux more than anyone else really, and possibly in several ways. 

I think it's probably safe to say Couts is penciled in as a high contender for it right now, but so much could change in a year with this roster. Fletch is unlikely to survive the full season, so what does the next GM bring? Does the aggressive retool line finally break down into a proper rebuild? If so, what happens to a guy like Couts? He's in his prime years now. He may want a cup and may not want to be part of a rebuild. We can sit here and say it isn't his choice to make necessarily, but a rebuilding GM might consider him a solid chip to kickstart said rebuild. 

I'm not saying any of those things will happen. I'm just saying those would seem to be likely possibilities. Realistically, this roster is the weakest on paper we've seen in a decade, and it's not like this decade has been one of great success. Any guesswork done now is going to be shooting the dark. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, elmatus said:

I kinda feel like Torts won't rush it.

I actually think if it was "Torts'" decision by himself he would make it Atkinson and amplify the message about who's in charge.

I do not expect that to be the case :hocky:

2 hours ago, radoran said:

I actually think if it was "Torts'" decision by himself he would make it Atkinson and amplify the message about who's in charge.

I do not expect that to be the case :hocky:

I thought Hayes was in charge?

image.jpeg.1747186417e761e08ca2618ef7af141d.jpeg

54 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Neither was Dave Poulin

Never got to witness those days. I was about 12 in his days 83 till whatever days you remember think he left around 88.

Hockey wasn't really on the TV when i was young coming up.

And back in those days i really never had the control of the TV back is his days even if it was on.

My dad only watched football and baseball.

Started watching a lot of hockey when i got back home and was discharged honorable of course in September 1992.

Big E's first year. Just fell in love it was so awesome to watch. A bull in a China shop.....if he only could've kept his head up.

So when i went out with my friends i watched a few at the bars when ESPN was carrying it.

I have seen videos of Poulin, not the same though and sounds like i missed a good one.

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

a bigger question might be....

does anyone want to be named captain of this schidt show?

I am cool with whatever the players decide to do. If they would rather wait i'm good with it.

Whatever it takes to get back to winning as a team.

Which may never happen with guys like JVR, Hayes and Risto. One day at a time right now...:hehe:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a chance Tortorella actually does hold the old slugs accountable - Hayes JVR and Ristolainen? Meaning will he actually bench or severely limit ice time for these paycheck posers if they continually drag the team down? 

I said “if” but realistically it’s “when they drag the team down.” Eventually Tortorella will have to face the fact that these 3 have no place on a team trying to get smarter, faster and harder to play against. 

We know he’ll get a lot of pushback from mgmt if he does…but I can’t see how Tortorella can pretend these guys are worth the ice time their contracts “demand.”

45 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Is there a chance Tortorella actually does hold the old slugs accountable - Hayes JVR and Ristolainen? Meaning will he actually bench or severely limit ice time for these paycheck posers if they continually drag the team down? 

I said “if” but realistically it’s “when they drag the team down.” Eventually Tortorella will have to face the fact that these 3 have no place on a team trying to get smarter, faster and harder to play against. 

We know he’ll get a lot of pushback from mgmt if he does…but I can’t see how Tortorella can pretend these guys are worth the ice time their contracts “demand.”

I think he will. If he doesn't, his reputation will take a hit. Personally, I think he will fast track some of these guys right out of Philly

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Torts recently said this about Eliis: “I’ve had several conversations with Ryan Ellis as far as how he’s doing,” Tortorella said. “That’s been an up and down process for him. He’s doing everything he possibly can to get ready for camp, [but] I’m doubtful that’s going to happen.” ....“To have an injury like he has, miss training camp, and then be ready for the regular season, I think it’s going to take some time,” he continued. “I don’t want to speak for Ryan, I haven’t spoken to him in a few weeks. But I know it was up and down as far as just what he’s doing right now trying to get himself ready.”

After reading your question, then re-reading this quote, I could be that Torts is already sending a message. It will most likely be interpreted to mean, Ellis just wont be ready. That's probably it. But he could be telling Ellis, if you miss camp, don't expect to be in the line up at the start of the season

20 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It's a great question. I also think there may be competing issues at play for those two players in particular. For JVR, honestly I cannot see Torts giving this guy much of his time. JVR is exactly the kind of player Torts is known to hate on and often very publicly. It's a playstyle thing. Torts is a defensive coach who absolutely demands that all players on the team play defensively as a starting point. That is 100% exactly what JVR has never and probably just can't really do. He's been good over his career at putting up reasonable points, typically in front of the net, but he is in no way a 2-way player of any kind. So either JVR becomes something he has never been -- and possibly just can't do well at all -- or Torts would have to become a very different coach than he has been in the past. My money is on JVR taking a major backseat this year.

Risto is a big of a different story. Here we have a guy who is horrible defensively -- something Torts typically loathes -- but he's also a guy who hits a lot. This falls in the incredibly narrow and very useless version of "hard to play against" for some people, and Torts may in fact be one such person. It's worth noting DeAngelo is also a guy who has a horrendous defensive record though, which means no matter what, Torts is not going to have a d-corps that is particularly strong in that dept. Given the "risto smash!" mentality and the lack of options, I can see Risto getting on the ice far more than his actual play ever deserves.

That said, though I do think this team is going to end the season with an awful record, I also think they are bound to be better defensively. The Torts system alone should translate to much better defense. That may prop up guys like Provo in particular, who stands to have a reasonably good year under Torts I would think. Also if Couts can stay healthy, he will offer stable shutdown skill on the top line. There's no way this team is as porous defensively this year. They were among the league worst last year, so that's not exactly a big benchmark, but it is one spot in which I expect we should see a significant difference.

The flip side to that is there's just no one around to actually score anything. With Giroux gone, no adequate replacement (e.g. Gaudreau), and with the introduction of defense-first Torts, I'm not expecting more than maybe 60pts from our top scorer this year. This team is going to struggle hard in the scoring department, and it stands to be painful to watch.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

This falls in the incredibly narrow and very useless version of "hard to play against" for some people, and Torts may in fact be one such person.

Yeah I wondered about this when I mentioned mgmt’s stated goal of being harder to play against. I’ll be surprised if Tortorella thinks RIstolainen and his occasional Big Hit helps the Flyers attain that goal. 

pardon me for sidetracking the thread … 
Now back to your regularly scheduled programming, who will wear the C?

I don’t believe we have a definitive answer on who does the choosing. Does anyone know? It seems to me the players should pick their captain but I don’t think it works that way in the NHL.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It seems to me the players should pick their captain but I don’t think it works that way in the NHL.

Depends on the team and the GM.

The Flyers upper management has always AFAIK chosen the captain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...