Ryan Ellis Injury Thread - Career Ending?

radoran

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Apparently you missed the first sentence.

He brought in Briere, Pronger, Carle,Hartnell, Leino,Timonen, Emery, Powe, Betts, Asham and Lappy.

And I can't remember if he brought in Coburn too.

And I maybe forgetting someone.

WTF were you sleep at the wheel or something the dude built that team.

They came 2 games from winning it all.

Had to buy out Briere but at least he produced at some point in his Flyers' tenure.

Pronger trade was kind of dumb, but the 35yo extension was even dumber and was the first real alarm bell that the organization was rotten.  The bare minimum competence you should expect is that your team at least has some nerd who knows the CBA.

Carle was fine.

Hartnel/Timonen:  Good players, but Holmgren wasted a 1st round pick just for the right to sign these guys to above market deals because he couldn't keep it in his pants for an additional day.  Another example of deciding what the move is going to be then paying whatever it takes.

Emery:  Another goaltending bandaid in a long line of goaltending bandaids.

Leino:  He happened to stumble into this guys 6 month hot streak.  The best thing you can say about Holmgren and Leino is he was smart enough not to give him the contract Buffalo did.

Powe, Betts, Asham, and Lappy:  Seriously?

Two games from winning it all.  Put it on a banner.  He never even got to another ECF after that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

That's just it though isn't it?

Well that would be up to them.

As I said when I started this I am just explaining what he has more likely sold them on.

IDAF either way no matter what here we are.

I don't like it but ain't nothing I can do about it except not watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Had to buy out Briere but at least he produced at some point in his Flyers' tenure.

Pronger trade was kind of dumb, but the 35yo extension was even dumber and was the first real alarm bell that the organization was rotten.  The bare minimum competence you should expect is that your team at least has some nerd who knows the CBA.

Carle was fine.

Hartnel/Timonen:  Good players, but Holmgren wasted a 1st round pick just for the right to sign these guys to above market deals because he couldn't keep it in his pants for an additional day.  Another example of deciding what the move is going to be then paying whatever it takes.

Emery:  Another goaltending bandaid in a long line of goaltending bandaids.

Leino:  He happened to stumble into this guys 6 month hot streak.  The best thing you can say about Holmgren and Leino is he was smart enough not to give him the contract Buffalo did.

Powe, Betts, Asham, and Lappy:  Seriously?

Two games from winning it all.  Put it on a banner.  He never even got to another ECF after that.

As I said he took them to 2 wins from winning the Stanely Cup.

You'll have to ask management all those questions the guy got promoted.

End of story here we are.

He is more than likely telling them he can get them back to a Cup and has used 2010 as his example.

All WE can do is not watch.

:beer:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Believing that Holmgren didn't just have one lucky year but that he actually has some type of special knowledge

If a coach wins one SC, he becomes a championship caliber coach who is often sought for that reason....

It doesn't matter if he won because the team was overflowing with talent

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CoachX said:

It doesn't matter if he won because the team was overflowing with talent

Exactly. Their hate has tainted their memory but they can call it whatever they want.

Luck devine interven regardless, they dealt with Carter having two broken foota.

Gagne got hurt which is what lead to Leino even getting in the lineup because he was a healthy scratch to start the playoffs on top of already being without Emery.

Sure the bottom pair with Parnet and Krajecki or however you spell was a weak spot but that team was very talented and deep.

Did many of the bottom 6 overachieve?

Sure maybe.

But IDGAF that playoff run was amazing and hurt so bad when they fell so short.

And I am not letting the hate for Holmgren now taint how I felt back then.

And I agree it has been a decade of short falls but we have hind sight now and well still doesn't change where they are now.

But I was just pointing out is more likely what Homer sold them on.

Saying I turned it around once I can do it again ignoring the last decade. I never said upper management was very bright.

Folks around love to twist words to fit their mind set.

No matter how much whining goes on Homer and Fletch are here for the foreseeable future. 

Another lost season maybe they wake up and clean house but if they squeak into the playoffs with this roster all bets are off.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#Bourbon up
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

But I was just pointing out is more likely what Homer sold them on.

You mean the franchise is gulluble? Like when they signed a specific oxygen thief after he scored 30 goals for a certain Canadian team, after he never lived up to expectations after being drafted?

• Good Post 1

47 minutes ago, CoachX said:

You mean the franchise is gulluble? Like when they signed a specific oxygen thief after he scored 30 goals for a certain Canadian team, after he never lived up to expectations after being drafted?

Because they had to sign a top FA to help make the playoffs because anything can happen and he was the best available after the first one didn't want to come here and they gave him a $7M deal for five years which they predictably regretted by year three...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Not sure I understand the point you are trying to make

Point is everywhere Bowman coached and won he had a stacked roster. Didn't do much in Buffalo with a decent team. In Montreal, Pittsburgh and Detroit the story would have been if they didn't win.

Good coach for sure, his timing was impeccable. 

57 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Point is everywhere Bowman coached and won he had a stacked roster. Didn't do much in Buffalo with a decent team. In Montreal, Pittsburgh and Detroit the story would have been if they didn't win.

Good coach for sure, his timing was impeccable. 

He had some pretty good drafts in Buffalo and had a competitive team. Housley, Andreychuk, others. Buffalo's Buffalo, but Bowman was decent there and they were worse without him except for their Hasek era. (a great goalie changes everything)

35 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

but will you? That's the question. I bet you still will. 

Already canceled my NHL Center Ice subscription….. will watch highlights and read box scores for FHL purposes only…..

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

but will you? That's the question. I bet you still will. 

Only for free to see how they look at the start of the season.

I will not pay for Center Ice or Gamecenter, they won't get a dime from me till I see a huge turn around.

I haven't paid a dime to the Flyer since the covid stoppage season.

I will post the game links here for the ones who want to watch too if I can find them like I did last season.

I have other more important things to do now than devote 3 hours of my life watching this team suck.

But I post the links here for my friends who still do care.

Life will go on...

:beer:

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

22 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Already canceled my NHL Center Ice subscription….. will watch highlights and read box scores for FHL purposes only…..

My guess is I will find a link and watch a few games. Or maybe wait for a nationally televised one, if they have any. Most likely, any watching I do will be at the start of the season.

Should the team happen to be interesting, or competitive, I will watch out of curiosity

The whole macewen, delauriers thing intrigues me. So does Torts

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Most likely, any watching I do will be at the start of the season.

Same here I will check in to see how they look - it is like a car wreck I can't look away from sometimes.

But I don't know how long I can stomach a Risto and JVR lineup...i expect it to not last long before the wheels come off.

Then I can just flip to YouTube and watch paint drying videos instead...

...and I don't even know if that is a thing.

:DancingGrape:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#Bourbon up
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Same here I will check in to see how they look - it is like a car wreck I can't look away from sometimes.

But I don't know how long I can stomach a Risto and JVR lineup...i expect it to not last long before the wheels come off.

Then I can just flip to YouTube and watch paint drying videos instead...

...and I don't even know if that is a thing.

:DancingGrape:

They had the Flyer/Oilers SC final on NHL Channel. Reliving that nightmare was more fun than watching this roster. To make it worse, I'm in Dallas. Guess what they have here? The world's largest toilet. It's just next door to my hotel

image.png.292a4beffcae5e10c0c7d78bd55d692c.png

• Thanks 1

my buddy has season tickets to the Bruins (14 rows back in the corner) and always tosses me the pre-season seats versus the Flyers.... It's a season tradition for me and my son.

If it was not for my last sentence I would not be going. I'd rather save the $100 I'll spend on 3 chicken tenders, a small fry, a popcorn, a soda, ice cream, and 3 beers...... UGH!

• 4 weeks later...

In a recent interview,  Torts said RE probably won't be ready for camp, or the start of the season. When the Flyers held their exit interviews in late April, Ellis was upbeat. He said his doctors had finally figured out the “multi-layered” problem and that he wouldn’t need surgery

Hunh? Out an entire season, and no surgery is/was needed? And no report on what this supposed injury is? 

The thing that bugs me most is how they report this garbage with the smug arrogance that we are so stupid, we will believe it

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

In a recent interview,  Torts said RE probably won't be ready for camp, or the start of the season. When the Flyers held their exit interviews in late April, Ellis was upbeat. He said his doctors had finally figured out the “multi-layered” problem and that he wouldn’t need surgery

Hunh? Out an entire season, and no surgery is/was needed? And no report on what this supposed injury is? 

The thing that bugs me most is how they report this garbage with the smug arrogance that we are so stupid, we will believe it

I'm not, I can't, I won't...

:hithead:

• Like 1