So thats what a $51 million goalie looks like...

Guest Adamflyers

@five6four

I cant stand Pinnochio, but I did not find that article meddlesome at all. Usually Pinnochios articles are full of hyperbole, but this one actually had three direct sources. We all knew that Bryz is eccentric and now we know that it has had an effect on his teammates.

@five6four

I cant stand Pinnochio, but I did not find that article meddlesome at all. Usually Pinnochios articles are full of hyperbole, but this one actually had three direct sources. We all knew that Bryz is eccentric and now we know that it has had an effect on his teammates.

not so much the content of the article specifically, but he had to know it would provoke a negative reaction in Philly. some will see it and continue to pile on Bryz for being a nut (if he only put up Czechmanek's #s). Others will use it against Briere for 'calling out' his goalie to the press, amidst a career worst goal slump.

panotch isnt stupid. he may not write an overtly negative article, but that doesnt mean he isnt trying to stir up unnecessary controversy. the timing (after the shutout) would seem to reinforce that point.

Maybe it's me, but why does it seem like EVERY goalie plays better when they face more shots?

i dont think its you. ive actually heard many a goalie say outright that they would prefer to face more shots, versus long periods of inactivity. its all about getting into a rhythm.

I think most people nailed it: he played solid...... probably the best I've seen him play in the O&B uniform. But this was a very strong team performance as well. But this was not in a 'wow'-type category which I am patiently waiting to see from him. But he looked aggressive and comfortable in net, and maybe this is to take as a building block, hopefully.

@everyone

This.

The Caps voluntarily took their best player off the ice, and their second best (Semin, IMO) put his best shot at Bryz's collar area.

Bryz played well, but he was neither alone in the effort, nor really faced much quality. Knuble on a breakaway? Come on, that is not how he scores at all.

@five6four

I can see that- I just don't get why the beat writers have to be such jack asses. Meltzer is the role model and I like that guy from the Delco times too. But the others are just hacks, always with some hidden agendas.

I like Randy Miller. He seems pretty objective & positive about the Flyers. (And that is saying something, as he was born & raised a Pens fan.)

@five6four

I was stunned by Briere's candor. He said a lot of stuff that seldom gets out of the dressing room and he may be the only guy on the team who could have carried it off and not come off as a ******. I'm kind of wondering why he said some of that stuff but I have to assume that everyone feels like they have turned the corner with him and he's a good citizen now. He strongly suggests that there was a serious problem but that it is solved. Sounds like the leadership group is pretty effective.

I was stunned by Briere's candor. He said a lot of stuff that seldom gets out of the dressing room and he may be the only guy on the team who could have carried it off and not come off as a ******. I'm kind of wondering why he said some of that stuff but I have to assume that everyone feels like they have turned the corner with him and he's a good citizen now. He strongly suggests that there was a serious problem but that it is solved. Sounds like the leadership group is pretty effective.

I was surprised by that too.

Good to hear that it seems to be on its way toward being resolved.

And I still think that they should make Danny the Captain.

I was stunned by Briere's candor. He said a lot of stuff that seldom gets out of the dressing room.

me too. I was surprised to read those comments, very rare a player talks candidly about a teammate. I think it's Tim P's best article of the year by far; it was informative and it shaped the context of the situation with the Flyers very well. We all knew *something* had changed out West with Bryzgalov, or maybe the change started before that but we saw it on the ice out West. Anyway...nice to hear he's tempered his off-ice style and is more focused on the T-E-A-M. Like Briere I hope it stays that way too.

As far as "stealing the game" I don't know how you can say different - he shut out the opposition, we only scored 1 goal. It was [obviously] a team effort - not having to work the PK was big and Ovechkin's flamingo impersonation certainly helped but that was the goalie's win. I think Bryzgalov made a couple "wow" saves - maybe they were "wow he usually misses those" but still - "wow" either way! :)

Edited by canoli

One of the things that struck me was in the postgame interview. It seemed like Engblom was trying to lead Bryzgalov into saying something, and Bryzgalov wouldn't. A lot of "I'm not sure what you mean." Engblom started to look flustered partway through. I noticed his interviews were starting to seem tamer a little earlier on, like when he complimented the whole team for blocking shots and deflecting credit for one of the wins a few weeks ago.

@terp

You raise some really good points regarding Briere. For me personally, I did not care that he stated what he did. Some earlier (ie OJ) said STFU and score goals. Not a bad point, but truth be told is that many have a misnomer regarding briere. The think that because he is small in stature that he is a ***** cat. He has been a captain / co-captain in Buffalo (his co-captaincy was with Drury, who was a winner wherever he went).

In Philly, whether he wears an "A" or not, he is always apart of the leadership group. I wish he had a better year- particularly for his salary. Yet, I have ZERO qualms for him standing up and saying this is the deal that is going on. If it was Pronger or Timmo that said it, nobody would blink an eye.

If he doesn't get bought out after this season, he might end up the captain.

Why would they buy out Danny's contract?

I'd say he's been worth every penny, especially in the playoffs (when it really counts).

They should make him the captain now (before the playoffs start). I think he's earned that much.

As far as "stealing the game" I don't know how you can say different

I have not expressed an opinion about this before now. While I thought Bryzgalov played extremely well, I also thought the team played good defense in front of him against a Caps team that brought its "A" game, especially offensively. The Flyers celebrated very warmly after the game and maybe, based upon Briere's comments, this was more of a reflection of some long absent team chemistry that included Bryzgalov finally developing rather than of their gratitude for him for "stealing" a game.

Yet, I have ZERO qualms for him standing up and saying this is the deal that is going on. If it was Pronger or Timmo that said it, nobody would blink an eye.

I think this kind of honesty is often problematic because the people involved often have big egos and the media can often be depended upon to spin stuff like this in the most sensational and negative way. In this case, it was a statement about bygones that came from one of a handful of guys that has both the respect of the dressing room and the ear of the press corps along with the ability to successfully communicate something delicate. Oddly enough, the story came from Tim P who wouldn't necessarily be the first person I would trust to handle a delicate matter with the respect that it deserved but to his credit, he did. This may turn out to be a pretty momentous development in Bryzgalov's tenure in Philly and that he's now going to settle down and earn his huge contract.

Why would they buy out Danny's contract? I'd say he's been worth every penny, especially in the playoffs (when it really counts). They should make him the captain now (before the playoffs start). I think he's earned that much.

He's a 34 year old scorer on pace to score less than 20 goals who plays no checking role and carries a $6.5MM cap hit on a contract that is front loaded. I think this makes him vulnerable to a buyout whether or not there is a one time buy out provision under the CBA.

One of the things that struck me was in the postgame interview. It seemed like Engblom was trying to lead Bryzgalov into saying something, and Bryzgalov wouldn't. A lot of "I'm not sure what you mean." Engblom started to look flustered partway through. I noticed his interviews were starting to seem tamer a little earlier on, like when he complimented the whole team for blocking shots and deflecting credit for one of the wins a few weeks ago.

Man **** ENGBLOM in the goata$$...can't stand him.

Couldn't believe he defended Orlov's move on the near break away by using his free hand to quickly spin Talbot with the no call.

I know there were missed calls all over but that one could have injuried Talbot. Had that been a Flyer it would surely have been called.

Edited by OccamsRazor