So thats what a $51 million goalie looks like...

Guest Adamflyers

He's a 34 year old scorer on pace to score less than 20 goals who plays no checking role and carries a $6.5MM cap hit on a contract that is front loaded. I think this makes him vulnerable to a buyout whether or not there is a one time buy out provision under the CBA.

I hadn't really considered that, but there is one more year at $7M on that deal. Here's capgeek.com's buyout calculator on Briere:

Daniel Briere buyout from CapGeek.com

• 2012-13: $833,333
  • 2013-14: $4,833,333
  • 2014-15: $5,833,333
  • 2015-16: $1,333,333
  • 2016-17: $1,333,333
  • 2017-18: $1,333,333

Not sure that the $4.8M and $5.8M years are worth it, since you really gain only $1.7M and $.7M over Briere on those years. The Flyers save about $4M.

The same thing happens with a 2013 buyout.

Daniel Briere buyout from CapGeek.com

• 2013-14: $4,333,333
  • 2014-15: $5,333,333
  • 2015-16: $833,333
  • 2016-17: $833,333

It appears capgeek.com is using the cap hit number ($6.5M) and not the remaining value on the contract ($12M) when doing the calculations. I'm not entirely certain that's right.

Anyone?

It appears capgeek.com is using the cap hit number ($6.5M) and not the remaining value on the contract ($12M) when doing the calculations. I'm not entirely certain that's right.

both numbers should be used per year in the calculations. i'll see if i can run through it long hand in a bit.

both numbers should be used per year in the calculations. i'll see if i can run through it long hand in a bit.

It gets complicated :-)

Here's what I dug up:

Ordinary Buyouts are pretty much the same as they were under the old CBA:

2/3's of the remaining salary (1/3 if player is under 26yo) paid out over 2x the remaining number of years on the contract.

Buyouts do count against the cap, but it is not just a straight forward Buyout Dollars/Buyout Years, due to the way salaries are averaged over multi year deals for cap purposes. If the actual salary paid on the deal prior to the buyout is more than the cap averaged salary for those years (ie the averaging gave them a cap discount), then that discount is counted against the cap over the remaining life of the original contract in addition to the actual buyout dollars over the 2x term. The converse is true - if the amout paid was less than the averaged cap hit, they get a cap credit back against the buyout.

All buy outs must be made between the June 15-30 deadline, and also a 48hour window after the last arbitration hearing

So I can see how the extra "value" of Briere's contract is held against them based on the differential between it and the salary paid. They pay the remaining salary over twice the length remaining plus take a cap hit based on the differential on the two years remaining on the deal.

My head is now going to 'splode...

pretty much. the flyers would realize a "buyout savings" of 1/3 of the salary left. that savings is the spread across twice the remaining years on the deal (the "savings" is negative for the years beyond the normal expiration of the SPC). this savings is then subtracted from the pre-buyout cap hit of the contract, leaving you with the cap hit for the buyout. (for the years extending past the normal end of the deal, that pre-buyout cap hit is obviously zero)

just did it long hand, and cap geek's numbers are right. a buyout doesn't seem to make much sense; only the one year where there'd be any real cap benefit.

edit:

here's the formula:

1. Take the actual salary due for each remaining year
  2. Take the Averaged Player Salary (cap hit) for the current contract
  3. Calculate the buyout amount (as described above)
  4. Spread the buy-out amount evenly over twice the remaining years of the contract
  5. Take the number in No. 1 and subtract the number in No. 4. This is the "buyout savings."
  6. Take the cap hit from No. 2 and subtract the buyout savings from No. 5.

Edited by aziz

@radoran

I took a look at Cap Geek after posting and ran out before editing. I agree that the only way Briere gets bought out after this season is in the event of a one time buy out "cap holiday" associated the CBA. It might make sense with two years remaining depending on what else the Flyers have on their plate by then. The whole exercise illustrates how relentless the cap is; buyouts provide little relief under the best circumstances and seldom make any sense if the team has to reckon with the cap impact.

and the media can often be depended upon to spin stuff like this in the most sensational and negative way

ask and ye shall receive:

Wings more depleted than Flyers; Lavy defends Bryz

Actually it isn't negative at all, but it's enough of a "thing" for Carchidi to try and make something out of it.

Pretty lame attempt as the "defends Bryz" part is only Lavy saying, "I think Bryz has been fine all year." That's the extent of Lavy's "defense."