Lehner to miss season, what are the Knights options?

yave1964

17 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Agree with all but Driedger, he had offseason surgery and will miss the first half of the season which is why they signed Martin Jones.....

ahhh......missed that somewhere. Thanks!

On 8/11/2022 at 3:46 PM, yave1964 said:

Ugh. Vegas.

Robin Lehner is to miss the entire season following hip surgery with his career in jeopardy. With the goalie musical chairs over, what options do the Knights have in net?  Backup Laurent Brossoit also had offseason syrgery and will miss a chunk of the season. So what now? Here are IMHO the options as i see them.....

LOGAN THOMPSON was an undrafted free agent signed to be AHL cannon fodder but has surprised by playing well at every level including a brief run with the Knights last season. Truth is I dont believe that he is the answer in net long term but they may be forced to play him and sign or pickup someone off waivers before the season as his backup. I have little if any faith in this move. A vet like Khubodin could be added as a very shaky 1B but it could get ugly quick. 

VARLAMOV the Islanders are trying to move salary to make room for the Kadri signing so this makes oh so much sense. Varly has one year left on his deal, he is a proven commodity and would come very, very cheap as far as assets go. 

JAKE ALLEN the Habs would love to find a taker for Allen who has a year left on his deal, like Varly he would come cheap

JOHN GIBSON Listed here because Vegas is Vegas, they love the shiny toys. The Ducks have some nice pieces and are getting better but Gibson could be moved to allow Dostal to play in net. I consider this the least likely but, it is Vegas, baby.

So IMHO if I were a betting man, I think Varlamov is such a perfect fit for both teams that this deal should be done like five minutes after the surgery was announced. He would cost little as the Isles need the cap space and he has lost his job to Sorokin on the Island, he would be a typical Knight addition, someone who used to be a name who they hope can still play.

Thompson was outplayed Lehner by seasons end last year.

My guess is they knock on the sharks door and ask for an Adin Hill or James Reimer?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Thompson was outplayed Lehner by seasons end last year.

My guess is they knock on the sharks door and ask for an Adin Hill or James Reimer?

Hammond outplayed Anderson one year with the Sens, lol. 

As a rule I have zero, ZERO faith in 25 year old undrafted goalies that have a mini hot streak late in a year and draw attention. I dont trust them, I dont believe in them, IMHO they are fools gold and until one of them, ANY one of them, proves me wrong I am gonna feel that way. Thompson is in line to get a bunch of starts but I think within a few years he will be AHL fodder getting starts in the NHLonly when whatever organization he is in dire straits due to injury. Hard Pass. IMHO if the Knights are counting on either he or Brossoit they are royally screwed.

Adin Hill or Reimer are both good and capable goalies, both would be a great add for the Knights.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Hammond outplayed Anderson one year with the Sens, lol. 

As a rule I have zero, ZERO faith in 25 year old undrafted goalies that have a mini hot streak late in a year and draw attention. I dont trust them, I dont believe in them, IMHO they are fools gold and until one of them, ANY one of them, proves me wrong I am gonna feel that way.

Undrafted goalies who hit in their mid to late-20s and go on to have a solid career, draw an NHL pension, etc? Yeah, the list is pretty short. Off the top of my head, Cam Talbot, Dwayne Roloson. There was Chico Resch, but it's probably not fair to add him, because scouting was so different back then, with major holes in coverage. It can work out for a team, but the odds are so long.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

And, if they're banking on Hutchinson filling in much at all, they're in for a number of lossesa disaster of a season. ;)

FIFY . ;)   Seriously, like you said, if they have to rely on Hutchinson for any length of time, that team will be in trouble and the Vegas natives will be getting restless.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

"General manager Kelly McCrimmon said Vegas will have a goaltending tandem of eight-year NHL veteran Laurent Brossoit plus Logan Thompson, who has played in 20 NHL career games."

Brossoit is 40-42-8 and never played in more than 24 games in a season. And that was last year when he was 10-9-3/.895 with the K-nig-its.

Good luck, Vegas.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Was just providing another confirmation to the topic that Brossoit is healthy.

Interesting considering that the article itself said ......

McCrimmon said that Brossoit's rehab is "going really well" but that "I can't tell you that he'll for sure be ready for opening day."

That to me still sounds like some doubt within the Vegas organization to the absolute health of Brossoit.   If he is 100% healthy then there would be no reason for the  Vegas GM to make that statement. 

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

And if he wasn't, then there would be no reason for McCrimmon to say what I quoted below the link to the article.

But again, sometimes GM speak is just lies.

Honestly…. I think all GM’s love trying to play the poker face game or the game of chicken to see who blinks first.

I guess we will find out as we get closer to the start of the season…..

• Like 3