Calgary Flames Season Chatter 22/23

Brewin Flames

Game # 10

Flames 3 Devils 4 OT

Zetterlund scores 2, Devils beat Flames 4-3 in OT

Fabian Zetterlund scores power-play goal vs. Flames

Updated: 2 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Fabian Zetterlund scored his second goal of the game 2:38 into overtime and the New Jersey Devils beat the Calgary Flames 4-3 on Saturday night for their sixth straight win.

Nathan Bastian and Miles Wood each had a goal and an assist as New Jersey won for the ninth time in their last 10. Vitek Vanecek stopped 27 shots to improve to 5-1-0.

“Things are going pretty well right now,” Bastian said. “Stick to the basics. We play such a simple game. Keep doing that, and hopefully we get results like we are right now.”

In the extra period, the Devils were on a power play when Dougie Hamilton threaded a cross-ice pass to Zetterlund, who sent a one-timer over goalie Jacob Markstrom’s shoulder for his first career two-goal game.

“I worked hard for it, my whole life, actually. I know when the puck is coming there I won’t miss,” said Zetterlund, who has three goals in seven games. "You can hear everyone having fun. ... We have a game plan. All four lines and the D-corps and our goalies are following it so it’s easy.”

The 23-year-old Swede spent three seasons in the AHL after being drafted by New Jersey in the third round in 2017. He is getting an opportunity this year and making the most of it.

“We know he’s a good shooter. He’s had a lot of success in the American League," Devils coach Lindy Ruff said. "The first goal, right place at the right time. Watching our power play, we decided at the end we needed a shooter. ... (He) hit a heck of a shot to win the game.”

Nazem Kadri, Nikita Zadorov and Lindholm scored for Calgary, which finished an eight-game homestand with four consecutive losses — the previous three in regulation. Markstrom had 31 saves.

The Flames now head out on a road trip with three games in four days.

“Definitely losing four in a row is unacceptable for our group," Zadorov said. "We’re going on the road, we haven’t done it for a while, we’ve been at home for a while. So it’s gonna be something new for us — new energy, new excitement. ... We believe in each other so I think we are going to turn things around.”

Markstrom came up big seven minutes into the third period to keep the score 3-3, stopping Jesper Bratt on a partial breakaway. Seconds later, he flashed his blocker to deny Jack Hughes who got in alone.

Bratt was held off the scoresheet, snapping his franchise-record point streak to open the season at 11 games.

The Flames tied it 3-3 earlier in the third when Zadorov redirected Blake Coleman’s centering pass past Vanecek at 3:12.

Calgary got off to a fast start with Kadri sending a backhander past Vanecek just 1:29 into the game.

Bastian tied it at 4:27 when he converted a centering pass from Hughes from behind the net for his second. It extended his point streak to a career-best four games.

A defensive breakdown by the Flames allowed Zetterlund to tap in a cross-crease feed from Tomas Tatar 3 1/2 minutes later to put the Devils ahead.

The Devils pushed it to 3-1 with 3:22 left when Wood got on the end of a perfect pass from Michael McLeod and one-timed it into the top corner to extend his point streak to four games, one short of his career best.

Calgary pulled within one climbed to within one early in the second. Noah Hanifin stepped out of the penalty box just as the puck was cleared to go on a two-man breakaway with Tyler Toffoli. They failed to convert the initial rush, but Noah Hanifin found Lindholm trailing the play and he knocked in his third of the season.

POWER OUTAGE

The Flames went 0 for 2 with the man advantage and are now 0 for 12 over their last four games.

• Good Post 1

With Stone getting injured could see The Calgary defence struggle and make mistakes...that makes 3 defencemen for Calgary now...I like Sutter going back to the opening night lines though...was concerned about Lucic and Rooney getting benched for entire 3rd period and Sutter did mention in interview that he didn't like their energy...

Game # 11

Flames 3 NYI 4 OT

Dobson scores in OT to rally Islanders past Flames, 4-3

ss_20221107_215105039_2095906100_default

NEW YORK -- — Noah Dobson scored a power-play goal 4:02 into overtime and the the New York Islanders rallied for a 4-3 win over the Calgary Flames on Monday night.

Sebastian Aho, Anders Lee and Kyle Palmieri also scored as New York came back from a 3-1 deficit in the third period to get is sixth win in seven games. Mathew Barzal had three assists and Ilya Sorokin made 43 saves.

“We got to our game,” Lee said. “We were able to be the ones on the forecheck, get some pucks back, be on top of them. We went on for the third period knowing that we wanted to take this game. Right now, we are a group that knows when we are playing our game, we can make things happen.”

Mikael Backlund had two goals and Elias Lindholm also scored as Calgary lost its fifth straight game (0-3-2) — the second straight in overtime. Jacob Markstrom had 28 saves in the opener of the Flames' three-game northeast road trip after playing eight straight at home.

“I thought we played really well,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. “I think we were really good from the outset. We turned a couple pucks over that cost us a point.”

The Islanders had a power play in overtime after an offensive zone interference penalty on Flames defenseman Rasmus Andersson. New York controlled possession in its offensive zone for the entire man-advantage until Barzal set up Dobson for the game-winning goal. It was the defenseman's fourth of the season.

Sorokin denied Lindholm twice, once from the door step, midway through overtime to keep it tied.

“He was outstanding again,” Islanders coach Lane Lambert said of Sorokin. “He just makes key saves at key moments and you saw that in overtime.”

Calgary had a 30-12 advantage on shots through 40 minutes but the Islanders found their game in the third period, erasing a two-goal deficit with two scores in a 59-second span midway through the period.

Lee deposited a rebound for his seventh of the season at 10:08. Nelson then fired a shot from the slot that deflected off a Flames defenseman, and Lee found the puck to the side of Calgary’s goalie. Shortly after that, Palmieri’s beat Markstrom from the right face-off circle to tie it with 8:53 to go in the period.

The Flames got off to a strong start, outshooting the Islanders 18-4 in the first 20 minutes.

Backlund opened the scoring with 8:44 left in the first as he got a backhand pass from Jonathan Huberdeau and wired a shot past Sorokin's blocker.

Aho tied it 1:10 later when he got behind the Flames' defense and got a pass from Barzal to get his first of the season. It came on the Islanders first shot on goal of the game.

“Barzal is a great player, he see’s those plays before they happen,” Aho said. “I could see that they had some guys down low in our zone, I was just trying to take off and get open.”

Lindholm put the Flames back ahead with a nifty redirection of a shot by Noah Hanifin with 3:39 left in the period.

Backlund increased the Flames’ lead to 3-1 with his second of the night and fifth of the season with 5:50 left in the second. It came on Calgary’s 28th shot of the game.

Flames D Nick DeSimone made his NHL debut after being recalled from the AHL. He had one shot on goal in 9:30

OFFENSE FROM THE BLUE LINE

Aho and Dobson's goals gives Islanders defensemen 28 points (11 goals, 17 assists) this season.

• Good Post 1

Game # 12

Flames 3 Devils 2

Devils beat Flames 3-2 on Hischier goal for 7th win in row

ss_20221108_213141040_2097085_default.jp

Updated: 6 hours ago

NEWARK, N.J. -- — The New Jersey Devils are not only winning, they are doing it even when they don't play well.

Nico Hischier scored off a rush with 8:10 to play and the New Jersey Devils beat the slumping Calgary Flames 3-2 Tuesday night for their seventh straight win.

“I mean it wasn’t pretty for sure. It wasn’t our best game,” Hischier said. “I think we didn’t have our legs in the first period, to be honest, was embarrassing. But we found a way and came back and in the end, if you’re going to win those games, it’s huge.”

Dougie Hamilton and Ryan Graves also scored as the Devils (10-3) matched their longest winning streak since February 2011. Vitek Vanececk made 33 saves in helping New Jersey overcome a sub-par performance in returning from a three-game trip western Canada.

“I thought the energy in our building was great. Even the fact that we came out on our heels and I just got to say, they parked us on our heels,” Devils coach Lindy Ruff said. “But again, a great sign that we’re able to overcome that. I thought their goalie made some really big saves too or we could have probably scored three or four.”

Nazem Kadri and Tyler Toffoli scored power-play goals for the Flames, who have lost six straight (0-4-2). Jacob Markstrom made 17 saves.

Kadri said the Flames have a right to feel a little frustrated after losing two straight in overtime and then being beaten in a game they played well.

““It’s OK to let it out sometimes,” Kadri said of the frustration. "But at the end of the day, frustration isn’t going to get you nowhere. It’s just going to dig you a deeper hole. So at the end of the day, I believe in the guys in here. We’re just going to have to dig in.”

Hischier's sixth goal came against the flow of play. The Flames kept the puck in the Devils' end for about two-plus minutes. Tomas Tatar got the puck out of the zone to Hamilton, who found Hischier coming down the middle. His shot beat Markstrom between the pads.

“I have to be honest. I first couldn’t believe it, because I had this pump-fake, five hole move in my head but I thought I’m way too far out, but somehow I didn’t see it going in and it still got in so it was pretty cool,” Hischier said. “Got me fired up.”

Toffoli’s had tied the game at 2-all at 5:13 of the third period with a power-play shot from the left circle that beat Vanecek to the top corner of the net. It came 20 seconds after Miles Wood was called for holding.

Despite being outshot 23-15 and having two goals nullified after Calgary challenges, the Devils led 2-1 after two periods on goals by Graves and Hamilton, the latter with a two-man advantage.

Kadri had give Calgary a 1-0 lead at 11:58 of the first period, a session in which the Flames held a 14-5 shot advantage. The tally was the seventh of the season for Kadri and it came on a wicked shot from the right circle on a power play.

The Devils had a goal by defenseman Jonas Siegenthaler overturned in the first period and another by Yegor Sharangovich taken off the board early in the second. The Devils entered the offensive zone too early on Siegenthaler's goal and Sharangovich used a kicking motion to put kicked the puck into the net on his.

• Good Post 1

I like the rookie defence pairing of DeSimone and Gilbert specifically because Gilbert beat someone up

Not sure what Sutter thinking putting Ruzicka on first line in Huberdeau spot and demoting Mangiapane to 3rd line just a waste...

• Like 1

Game # 13

Flames 1 Bos 3

McAvoy scores in season debut, Bruins beat skidding Flames

Updated: 5 hours ago

BOSTON -- — Charlie McAvoy scored the go-ahead goal in his season debut and the Eastern Conference-leading Boston Bruins remained perfect on home ice, beating the skidding Calgary Flames 3-1 Thursday night.

Linus Ullmark made 31 saves and Connor Clifton also scored as the Bruins improved to 8-0-0 at TD Garden. David Pastrnak added an empty-net goal for Boston, which is 12-2-0 overall.

“Calgary came at us. It’s the most physical game we’ve been in,” Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. “I liked the way we responded to their physicality. I just like the way we keep finding ways to win hockey games.”

Noah Hanifin scored for the Flames, who dropped their seventh straight.

Calgary swarmed the Bruins early, holding them without a shot during the first seven minutes. The Flames scored at the tail end of a power play as Hanifin got his first goal of the season at 4:43 of the opening period.

Clifton followed up his own shot at 16:38 to tie it.

“The rebound was there and I was fortunate,” he said.

McAvoy’s goal came at 18:27 of the second with traffic in front of Calgary goalie Dan Vladar, who finished with 24 saves.

“We did a good job getting possession. It was a good pass by (Pavel Zacha) to find me in the seam. I just wanted to catch and shoot it and it happened to go in,” McAvoy said.

McAvoy, the Bruins' top defenseman, was expected to be off the ice for six months after undergoing shoulder surgery in June.

“Not having a preseason to get ready, I was definitely nervous all day. But it was a good kind of nervous,” McAvoy said.

The 24-year-old blueliner had 10 goals and 56 points in 78 games last season, including 21 points on the power play.

“What a deserving guy. We’re really lucky to have him back,” Clifton said.

McAvoy played 18:53. He averaged a team-high 25 minutes of ice time last season.

“It’s a lot of fun to watch,” Montgomery said. “A lot more fun to coach him than against him."

Game notes

Clifton and McAvoy became the 17th and 18th players to score goals for the Bruins this season. … With McAvoy reinstated off long-term injured reserve, the Bruins waived defenseman Mike Reilly with the intention of sending him to Providence of the AHL. … Milan Lucic, who won a Stanley Cup with Boston in 2011, returned with the Flames.

The 34-year-old Lucic is in his fourth season with Calgary. … The Flames started the season with five wins in their first six games. They fell to 5-5-2 overall after dropping all three games on their road trip. … Calgary entered ranked fourth in the NHL in shots per game (36.9). The Flames outshot the Bruins 37-22. … Boston is 6-0-0 against Western Conference opponents. ... The teams combined to go 0 for 11 on the power play.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Game # 14

Flames 3 Jets 2

Flames beat Jets 3-2 to end 7-game skid

ss_20221113_001445375_210243140_default.

Updated: 2 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Elias Lindholm and Adam Ruzicka each had a goal and assist as the Calgary Flames beat the Winnipeg Jets 3-2 Saturday night, ending a seven-game winless skid.

Trevor Lewis also scored and Rasmus Andersson had two assists for for Calgary, which came in on an 0-5-2 slide. Jacob Markstrom had 21 saves.

Ruzicka was playing his third consecutive game after being a healthy scratch for 10 of the first 11 games, skating on the left side of the top line with Lindholm and Tyler Toffoli in place of the injured Jonathan Huberdeau (upper body). He teamed with Lindholm on the Flames' first two goals.

“Pretty easy to fit into that line, easy to play with those guys,” said the 23-year-old Ruzicka, playing just his 35th career NHL game. “Just do my job, work hard and obviously the points are going to come.”

Neal Pionk and Pierre-Luc Dubois scored for Winnipeg, which was 6-0-1 with the league’s third-longest active points streak. Connor Hellebuyck finished with 32 stops.

Calgary native Josh Morrissey had two assists to continue his strong start. The Jets’ leading scorer is up to 13 assists, halfway to his career high of 26 set in 2019-20.

“Not our worst game but we were facing a desperate club," Pionk said. “We’ve got to match their intensity no matter what the situation is.”

Ten seconds into a holding penalty to Flames defenseman Mackenzie Weegar late in the second period, Mikael Backlund broke in on a 2-on-1 and sent a perfect cross-ice pass to Lewis, who went forehand-backhand as he cut across the top of the crease to give Calgary a 3-2 lead with 1:29 left.

A melee behind the Flames' net resulted in Markstrom getting a tripping penalty to give the Jets a two-man advantage for 1:19. However, Calgary’s maligned penalty-kill came through to preserve the lead.

The Flames got on the scoreboard at 3:23 of the opening period as Ruzicka sent a backhand toward the front of the net from the corner that glanced off Lindholm’s stick in front and squeaked between Hellebuyck’s pads.

Pionk tied it 1-1 with 5:14 remaining when his point shot caromed in off Flames defenseman Connor Mackey.

Calgary went back ahead with 2:38 to go in the first as Lindholm set up Ruzicka with a cross-ice pass that the Slovakian buried for his first of the season.

“Tonight he played a real good game and hopefully he can build off that, too," Lindholm said of Ruzicka. "That’s the Adam we expect. ... He’s got a lot of skill, big body, and used to put up a lot of points (in junior, the AHL) and obviously has a good chance now.”

Winnipeg tied it at 4:23 of the second, taking advantage of a lapse in defensive coverage by the Flames that left Dubois wide open for a tap-in after being set up neatly by Morrissey.

Among Markstrom's saves was a highlight-reel effort in the first period when he slid across the crease, stacking his pads and windmilling out his catching hand to rob Mark Scheifele.

“That’s pretty cool. The stack the pads, that’s old school, Ron Hextall maybe?” said Flames defenceman Chris Tanev. “Definitely in those days. But a huge save for us and he made those all night.”

CLAMPING DOWN

After giving up power-play goals in seven straight games, the Flames are a perfect 8 for 8 on the penalty-kill over the last two games — including 3 for 3 against the Jets.

“Sometimes a good kill won’t give you much," Dubois said. "You just have to take what they give you. Sometimes it’s just up and over and a shot and a one-timer. ... I thought tonight, maybe 5-on-5 too, we were trying to perfect play it too much.”

TANEV’S RETURN

After missing five games with an upper body injury, Calgary welcomed back veteran defenseman Chris Tanev. However, he did not return to his regular D pairing, instead partnering with Mackey, who returned after being a healthy scratch the past two games.

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Game # 15

Flames 6 LA 5

Toffoli, Lindholm lead Flames to 6-5 win over Kings

Updated: 3 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — After losing 100-point scorers Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk in the offseason, it has taken a while for Elias Lindholm to find chemistry with new linemates. It's finally starting to come together.

Lindholm and Tyler Toffoli each had a goal and two assists, Adam Ruzicka added a goal and an assist, and the Calgary Flames held on to beat the Los Angeles Kings 6-5 on Monday night.

“He’s one of the best players in the league and just fortunate to be playing with him,” Toffoli said of Lindholm. “The past week or two I think he’s really took his game to the next level and it’s been fun to play with him.”

Ruzicka, who joined the line after Jonathan Huberdeau went down with an injury, has also fit in nicely with Lindholm and Toffoli. The 23-year-old has five points in his last four games.

“We’re having fun, making plays and scoring some goals," Lindholm said. “Obviously, Adam’s come in and he’s a good player. He’s still a young kid, but he’s been playing well.”

Huberdeau, Andrew Mangiapane and Brett Ritchie also scored to help Calgary win its second straight after a seven-game skid (0-5-2). Nazem Kadri had two assists and Jacob Markstrom finished with 24 saves.

Arthur Kaliyev scored twice, Kevin Fiala had a goal and an assist, and Adrian Kempe and Anze Kopitar also scored for the Kings, who had won four straight. Drew Doughty had two assists and Jonathan Quick finished with 23 saves.

Markstrom preserved the win with a sprawling save on a shot by Kopitar from 10 feet out with 22 seconds remaining.

“We played one of our worst games defensively,” Kings center Phillip Danault said. “We gave up too many rushes. We did that to ourselves. We lost the game in the first period. We weren’t sharp enough mentally.”

Trailing 2-1 midway through the first period, the Flames scored four consecutive goals to pull ahead.

Calgary tied it with 9:05 left after Kadri's shot deflected to the left circle and Mangiapane pounced on the puck, spun and fired a shot past Quick for his third.

Just 42 seconds later, Ritchie forced a turnover in the Kings' end and completed a give-and-go with Blake Coleman and put the return pass past Quick on the right side.

Toffoli's one-timer made it 4-2 with 3:35 left in the opening period and Lindholm's power-play goal at 1:51 of the second gave the Flames a three-goal lead.

Fiala got Los Angeles to 5-3 with 5:34 left. However, Toffoli and Lindholm set up Ruzicka 2:10 later to restore Calgary's three-goal lead.

Kopitar scored at 8:57 of the third, and Kempe pulled the Kings within one with 1:19 left and Quick pulled for an extra skater.

"We played some pretty shoddy hockey today,” Los Angeles coach Todd McLellan said. “We had guys missing line changes, passes through the neutral zone, we had an icing call with two seconds left, missed face-off coverages.”

With just one goal in his first 11 games, Huberdeau opened the scoring at 3:49.

“It was good. I mean, obviously, to get a goal. It had been a while,” said Huberdeau, who played alongside Mikael Backlund and Trevor Lewis. “We kept things simple. We had some scoring chances. In the first period, we were always in their zone. We worked to cycle the pucks. I loved playing with these guys.”

Kaliyev scored twice in a 1:18 span to give the Kings a 2-1 lead a little more than six minutes in.

NIGHT OF MILESTONES

Huberdeau’s goal was the 200th of his career. He’s the eighth player from the NHL’s 2011 draft class to reach that mark. ... Kadri’s two assists gave him 300 for his career, the seventh member of the 2009 draft class to hit that total. ... Flames defenseman Nikita Zadorov played in his 500th career game.

ANDERSSON PILING UP ASSISTS

Andersson hadn’t topped 17 assists in a season before a career year last season saw him finish with 46. This season, the 26-year-old Swede has 12 in 15 games.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Game # 16

Kucherov, Vasilevskiy lead Lightning to 4-1 win over Flames

Flames 1 Bolts 4

6 hours ago

TAMPA, Fla. -- — Nikita Kucherov had two goals, Andrei Vasilevskiy made 39 saves, and the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Calgary Flames 4-1 on Thursday night.

Steven Stamkos had a goal and an assist, and Philippe Myers also scored for the Lightning. Mikhail Sergachev picked up two assists and has five assists and seven points during a three-game point streak.

Kucherov had a power-play goal in the second period and an empty-netter.

This is the first time Tampa Bay has allowed fewer than two goals this season. The Lightning have given up three or more in 13 of 17 games.

“I'll take the chances we had over the one's they had,” Tampa Bay coach Jon Cooper said. “They're getting pucks to the net, but if your goalie sees them and from the outside, it's just limiting what happens after that. I thought we did a good job of that tonight.”

Elias Lindholm scored for Calgary and Jacob Markstrom stopped 20 shots. The Flames had won two in a row after losing seven straight (0-5-2).

Stamkos’ goal was his 490th, tying him with Norm Ullman for 49th on the all-time list. The Lightning captain picked up his 500th career assist Tuesday night against Dallas.

Stamkos has a goal in two consecutive games after going 10 games without one. He opened the season with seven goals during a five-game goal streak.

“Every year it ebbs, it flows," Stamkos said. "It wasn’t going to go as hot as it was in the beginning. It wasn’t going to go as cold as it was there for a bit. Things even out during the course of a long season.”

Lindholm had a power-play goal at 4:53 of the third before Myers gave Tampa Bay a 3-1 lead 10 seconds later, when his unobstructed shot from the blue line eluded Markstrom.

Less than a minute after Calgary’s Milan Lucic had a goal disallowed after a video review determined the Flames were offside, Stamkos made it 1-0 from the left circle at 8:03 of the first.

Kucherov put Tampa Bay up 2-0 from the right circle during a power play with 1:44 left in the second. Sergachev made a nifty play at the point to keep the puck in the offensive zone, sent a backhand pass to Stamkos, who set up Kucherov with a pass through the slot.

Vasilevskiy turned aside 16 shots during the second.

Calgary’s Adam Ruzicka was left alone in the low left circle, but his shot hit the post midway through the second.

This was the first of a six-game Eastern Conference trip for the Flames.

“This is going to be a big trip for us, for sure." Calgary center Mikael Backlund said. “When the trip's over, we're at a point of the season where you can tell where team's are at.”

NUMBERS

Lucic entered on a 37-game goal drought. … Stamkos has four game-opening goals this season and 79 overall. Vincent Lecavalier, with 80, holds the Tampa Bay record. … Tampa Bay RW Corey Perry, who is 99th on the NHL career goals list with 407, has gone 11 consecutive games without one.

• Good Post 1

I felt the Lightning outskated Calgary for the most part in this game. Credit to TB for having a bit of extra spring in their steps, so to speak, but it did make me wonder about Calgary and why their overall defense just didn't look as solid as they normally do....especially for a Sutter coached team.

I thought Bolts skaters moved pretty freely through the neutral and offensive zones and the Flames' coverage wasn't up to their usual sharpness, allowing TB to get very good looks, have premium guys open, and move the puck around with the kind of speed and precision they likely wouldn't have been able to had Calgary's defense been more close-to-the-vest.

At any rate, game was entertaining and the Flames DID get some dangerous chances offensively that, had Andrei Vasilevskiy not been on top of his game, probably would have gone the way of Calgary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I felt the Lightning outskated Calgary for the most part in this game. Credit to TB for having a bit of extra spring in their steps, so to speak, but it did make me wonder about Calgary and why their overall defense just didn't look as solid as they normally do....especially for a Sutter coached team.

I thought Bolts skaters moved pretty freely through the neutral and offensive zones and the Flames' coverage wasn't up to their usual sharpness, allowing TB to get very good looks, have premium guys open, and move the puck around with the kind of speed and precision they likely wouldn't have been able to had Calgary's defense been more close-to-the-vest.

At any rate, game was entertaining and the Flames DID get some dangerous chances offensively that, had Andrei Vasilevskiy not been on top of his game, probably would have gone the way of Calgary.

I actually thought Calgary did well except for penalty kill...the 3rd goal was a bad one...but I thinking Calgary team defence will improve as the games go by...I think Vasilevski better than Markstrom and was definitely the difference in the game...

On 11/15/2022 at 4:52 AM, Brewin Flames said:

Crazy game last night....had control and then let LA get right back in it.

Against Tampa team defence was better...the first 2 goals I blame on the team the 3rd I blame on Markstrom...

1 hour ago, Villella McMeans said:

I actually thought Calgary did well except for penalty kill...the 3rd goal was a bad one...but I thinking Calgary team defence will improve as the games go by...I think Vasilevski better than Markstrom and was definitely the difference in the game...

I wasn't talking just about the goals.
Just the movement of the players in general.

I've seen Tampa Bay struggle so far this season against lesser teams such as Buffalo, Philadelphia, even Anaheim, in terms of being able to move and set up plays.
Those teams seemed like they were the 90's Devils to look at the Lightning struggle to find lanes for skating and shooting.

I thought they did that pretty freely against the Flames, which is surprising to me, because I consider Calgary to be much higher up on the defensive scale than those sample teams I mentioned.
Yet there were the Bolts skating at will, and finding lanes to shoot to get the puck to Markstrom.

Granted, I know the Lightning DO have the capability still of making any team look mediocre in coverage, and the Bolts could have very well skated the game of their lives in this one, but I thought Calgary should have fared better in that department than they did.
Seemed to me, Bolts players were beating them consistently man to man, to the point where many Flames players had to resort to almost clutch n grab tactics to try and keep up.

I'll be watching the Flames-Panther game tomorrow to see if Sutter lit a fire under your guys after this loss, because Florida will look to try and run n gun and the Flames will have to be on point defensively to not only deal with that, but to transition that into offense of their own.....something I have come to expect from Sutter's Flames.

Offensively, Calgary did well.
It was mainly Vasilevskiy that kept them from getting anymore than they did.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I wasn't talking just about the goals.
Just the movement of the players in general.

I've seen Tampa Bay struggle so far this season against lesser teams such as Buffalo, Philadelphia, even Anaheim, in terms of being able to move and set up plays.
Those teams seemed like they were the 90's Devils to look at the Lightning struggle to find lanes for skating and shooting.

I thought they did that pretty freely against the Flames, which is surprising to me, because I consider Calgary to be much higher up on the defensive scale than those sample teams I mentioned.
Yet there were the Bolts skating at will, and finding lanes to shoot to get the puck to Markstrom.

Granted, I know the Lightning DO have the capability still of making any team look mediocre in coverage, and the Bolts could have very well skated the game of their lives in this one, but I thought Calgary should have fared better in that department than they did.
Seemed to me, Bolts players were beating them consistently man to man, to the point where many Flames players had to resort to almost clutch n grab tactics to try and keep up.

I'll be watching the Flames-Panther game tomorrow to see if Sutter lit a fire under your guys after this loss, because Florida will look to try and run n gun and the Flames will have to be on point defensively to not only deal with that, but to transition that into offense of their own.....something I have come to expect from Sutter's Flames.

Offensively, Calgary did well.
It was mainly Vasilevskiy that kept them from getting anymore than they did.

Yeah I'll be watching tomorrow too Calgary Florida gonna be a good game👍

Game # 17

Flames 5 Panthers 4 SO

Andersson, Flames top Tkachuk, Panthers in shootout 5-4

ss_20221119_191929696_2108864_default.jp

16 hours ago

SUNRISE, Fla. -- — Rasmus Andersson scored in the fifth round of the shootout to lead the Calgary Flames over the Florida Panthers 5-4 Saturday night in a matchup of teams that made a major trade last summer.

Adam Ruzicka had two goals and an assist for Calgary. Nikita Zadorov and Blake Coleman also scored.

Florida got goals from Colin White, Sam Reinhart, Eetu Luostarinen and Matthew Tkachuk.

“It was a good game,’’ Calgary coach Darryl Sutter said. “We fought back through a lot of adversity during the game.”

Tkachuk spent six seasons with the Flames before going to Florida in a trade for Jonathan Huberdeau and MacKenzie Weegar on July 22.

Tkachuk scored with 6:14 left in regulation to make it 4-all and help force overtime.

“It felt good to get it to overtime,’’ Tkachuk said. “It felt like we were dominating them yet it was somehow 4-3.”

Ruzicka scored on a power play at 15:13 of the first period and Zadorov made it 2-0 with a goal 51 seconds into the second.

Florida tied it with two goals in the second — the first coming when Colin White stripped goalie Jacob Markstrom of the puck as he played it along the end board, took off and put it into the vacated net.

Reinhart made it 2-all with a power-play goal from the slot off a pass from Tkachuk.

Both Markstrom and Spencer Knight ended with 31 saves.

“This was a tight, even game where I did not think one team had a long stretch of dominance,’’ Florida coach Paul Maurice said. “It is one of those games that, 20 years ago, would have ended in a tie. And you would have thought that was right.”

WELCOME BACK

The Panthers honored both Huberdeau and Weegar with a video during a break in the first period. The two were both drafted by and spent their NHL careers with the Panthers before the July trade.

Huberdeau and Weegar both stayed out together for warmups as fans cheered them on.

Florida captain Aleksander Barkov, Huberdeau’s longtime linemate, sent one more pass his way before they both skated to their rooms. Huberdeau was booed when he came out — and scored — in the second round of the shootout.

Tkachuk returns to Calgary for the first time since the trade later this month.

“I didn’t expect to have that many jerseys out there and that was cool to see that,’’ Huberdeau said. “I’ve been here a long time and I think they gave me a great ovation, so that was cool.”

• Good Post 1