Calgary Flames Season Chatter 22/23

Brewin Flames

Game # 18

Flames 5 Flyers 2

Coleman, Flames send slumping Flyers to 7th straight loss

9 hours ago

PHILADELPHIA -- — Blake Coleman had a goal and two assists to lead the Calgary Flames to a 5-2 victory over the slumping Philadelphia Flyers on Monday night.

Jonathan Huberdeau, Dillon Dubé, Rasmus Andersson and Trevor Lewis also scored for the Flames, who were playing the third contest of a six-game trip.

“It was nice to get that one for sure,” Huberdeau said. “We battled. Another good win for us.”

Tanner Laczynski and Joel Farabee scored for the Flyers, who have lost seven in a row.

“We were flat,” Philadelphia coach John Tortorella said. “I thought it looked like two teams with low energy.”

The Flames jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first.

Huberdeau put the Flames on the board 4:43 in. After Philadelphia’s Tony DeAngelo turned the puck over in the Flyers zone, Huberdeau raced ahead on a 2-on-1 and finished his third goal of the season with a wrist shot past Carter Hart’s glove side.

Dubé tallied in nearly the identical manner with 6:09 to play in the first, firing a wrist shot past Hart on a 2-on-1. This one came from the opposite side and got past Hart’s glove.

“It’s not like it’s lack of effort,” Hart said. “Nothing to hang our heads about.”

Philadelphia scored just 36 seconds later, when Laczynski notched his first NHL goal on a deflection of Kevin Hayes’ shot from the point. The assist gave Hayes points in six straight contests, with three goals and four assists.

Andersson recorded the lone goal of the second when his slap shot from long range went off the stick of Farabee and past Hart 3:29 into the period.

Farabee made amends with 11:57 left in the third, when he pulled Philadelphia within 3-2. Flames winger Andrew Mangiapane misfired a pass from the boards right to Farabee, who fired a wrist shot from the slot past Jacob Markström’s blocker side.

Markström made 23 saves.

Coleman, playing in his 400th career NHL game, netted the first of two Flames empty-netters with 1:51 left in the third. Lewis finished the scoring with 37 seconds remaining.

A third-round pick by New Jersey in 2011, Coleman is a two-time Stanley Cup champion with Tampa Bay.

“I’m extremely proud to get to play that many games in this league,” he said.

• Good Post 1

Game # 19

Flames 1 Pens 2 SO

Malkin's winning goal in shootout leads Pens past Flames

ss_20221123_220345326_2112608_default.jp

Updated: 6 hours ago

PITTSBURGH -- — Evgeni Malkin enjoyed a fitting end to a multigame celebration of a significant career milestone.

Malkin scored the deciding goal in the shootout, and the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Calgary Flames 2-1 on Wednesday night for their fourth straight win.

Malkin, who was recognized in Pittsburgh for playing his 1,000th NHL game on Sunday, flipped a backhander over Dan Vlader’s glove. After Malkin scored, he threw his stick into the crowd and celebrated with his teammates.

“It was perfect,” captain Sidney Crosby said. “You wouldn’t want anyone else with the opportunity to win the game. The whole night was awesome.”

Crosby and Rickard Rakell also scored in the tiebreaker for the Penguins, who improved to 6-1-1 in their last eight games overall. Jan Rutta scored in regulation, and Tristan Jarry made 33 saves for his 100th NHL win.

“(Malkin) plays his best when the stakes are high,” Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said. “I think that’s where players build their legacies. He’s been on the big stage an awful lot in his career.”

Dillon Dube scored in the second period for the Flames, who had won two in a row. Calgary has four wins in its last six games overall following a seven-game losing streak.

Vladar, making his fourth start of the season, and first since Nov. 10, stopped 38 shots.

Flames coach Darryl Sutter said it was quite a night for Malkin.

“He’s the guy that ends up winning it for them. Good for him,” Sutter said.

Rutta opened the scoring at 2:09 when he beat Vladar with a blocker-side wrist shot from between the circles.

Pittsburgh appeared to take a 2-0 lead on a Bryan Rust goal. But it was waved off because of an offsides call following a coach’s challenge.

Calgary then tied it at 1 at 8:37 of the second when Dube redirected a Chris Tanev shot behind Jarry.

HONORING MALKIN

The Penguins celebrated Malkin in his first home game after appearing in his 1,000th career regular-season game on Sunday at Chicago.

Malkin’s teammates all wore his No. 71 jersey during warmups. Malkin’s wife, Anna, and 6-year-old son, Nikita, joined him on the ice during a pregame ceremony. He received personal gifts commemorating his 1,000th career game, including a silver hockey stick.

“Thank you to my teammates and the Pittsburgh Penguins organization,” Malkin said. “It’s an amazing life for me and my family. The last three days I was crying every day because the team gave me so many surprises. They gave me a special night and special gifts before the game. I don’t have any words. It was just amazing.”

ROAD WARRIORS

Calgary played the fourth game of a season-long six-game road trip.

The Flames lost the first game of the trip against Tampa Bay, but rebounded with wins against Florida and Philadelphia prior to Wednesday’s shootout loss against the Penguins. Calgary closes the trip with games at Washington and Carolina.

The Flames have at least a point in their last seven games at PPG Paints Arena, dating to the 2015-16 season.

• Good Post 1

Game # 20

Flames 0 Caps 3

Ovechkin and Oshie power Capitals past Flames 3-0

ss_20221125_162531463_21138451204_defaul

Alex Ovechkin tallies goal for Capitals on the power play

Updated: 11 hours ago

WASHINGTON -- — Alex Ovechkin and T.J. Oshie each had a goal and an assist, helping the Washington Capitals to a 3-0 win over the Calgary Flames on Friday.

Ovechkin scored career goal No. 791 at 12:24 of the third period, firing a quick wrist shot from the left circle past Calgary's Jacob Markstrom on the power play to secure the Captials' second straight win.

“When you win, you always have confidence. Sometimes you play well, but you can't win the game, and that's frustrating a little bit," Ovechkin said. “But the situation right now, we just have to collect the points. It doesn't matter how: lucky, bad bounce. We just have to collect the points and try to get as many as possible.”

Ovechkin is now nine goals away from 800 and 11 from passing Gordie Howe for second place on the NHL's all-time goals list.

Oshie opened the scoring early in the first period, marking the first time since Nov. 11 that Washington scored the game's first goal. He has four points in back-to-back games since returning from a lower-body injury that sidelined him for 11 games.

“He's one of our leaders on the ice and off the ice. He brings a lot of energy,” Ovechkin said of Oshie.

Evgeny Kuznetsov scored in the second period, picking up the puck from Oshie in the neutral zone, getting through three Flames and sliding the puck past Markstrom while falling.

Calgary had its share of scoring chances and outshot Washington 32-25, but Capitals goalie Darcy Kuemper earned his second shutout of the season.

“We've been talking about stringing a few wins together, so that was the focus tonight, just to come in and kind of do my job and help the team the best I can,” Kuemper said.

Markstrom had 22 saves in the loss for Calgary.

“I think they were better with the puck than we were. That was the difference,” Jonathan Huberdeau said. “We had chances and didn't capitalize on it, and they did.”

• Good Post 1

Game # 21

Flames 2 Canes 3

Pesce's 1st goal of season lifts Hurricanes past Flames 3-2

Updated: 9 hours ago

RALEIGH, N.C. -- — Brett Pesce’s first goal of the season snapped a third-period tie and the Carolina Hurricanes ended a five-game winless streak with a 3-2 victory over the Calgary Flames on Saturday.

Seth Jarvis and Martin Necas also scored for Carolina, which played its last home game until mid-December.

“This was huge for us, just our confidence,” Pesce said. “Just finding a way to win again.”

Pesce’s power-play goal came with 11:14 to play. It was his first goal since March.

Antti Raanta made 19 saves in his first action in five games. He dealt with an injury earlier in the week and was scratched from a scheduled start Wednesday night.

Adam Ruzicka and Tyler Toffoli scored for the Flames, who ended a six-game trip with a 2-3-1 record. Dan Vladar, who stopped 30 shots, is winless since his first outing of the season in mid-October.

Raanta faced only four shots in the third period.

“We played well all through this stretch and just haven’t got any bounces,” said Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour, whose team last won Nov. 14 at Chicago. “That’s kind of what it has felt like.”

The Hurricanes scored two power-play goals on back-to-back days after going six straight games without a man-advantage goal.

“The power play has got to come through, and it did,” Brind’Amour said.

Perhaps now the conversion regarding Carolina’s power play can take a different tone.

“The power play was the reason we won,” Jarvis said.

The Flames, coming off a shutout loss a day earlier at Washington, have managed a total of three goals in their last three games.

“We’ve got to score more,” Flames center Mikael Backlund said. “We got some looks.”

Jarvis snapped a personal 11-game goal drought when he converted a pass from Brent Burns at 6:20 of the first period.

The Flames tied the score on Ruzicka’s power-play goal with 1:51 left in the first.

Necas’ 10th goal of the season put Carolina on top in the second. Toffoli countered with a tying goal for the Flames less than seven minutes later.

Toffoli’s goal came on a breakaway when he waited at the blue line and was alone when Jonathan Huberdeau delivered a pass.

Vladar is the No. 2 goalie for Calgary, but he said he expects to make bigger contributions. He referenced his 1-4-1 record this season.

“It got to be better,” Vladar said. “I’ve got to get some Ws for this team. It’s just frustrating for me.”

RAANTA’S RECOVERY

Raanta said a puck struck his knee awkwardly in Wednesday’s morning skate. He took time off before appearing in another game.

“You always want to play when it’s your turn,” Raanta said.

He’s tied with Frederik Andersen, who has been out since Nov. 6 with an injury, with a team-high eight appearances among Carolina’s goalies.

TRIP TROUBLES

The Flames missed one of the objectives on their season-long six-game trip. They secured five points.

“You want more points than games played,” coach Darryl Sutter said. “That’s the best way to look at it. When you go on trips that are three or more games, that's what you want.”

• Good Post 1