Tortorella says he will ‘play the kids’

pilldoc

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Love Torts, the Flyers may be bad but the coach will keep them entertaining.

Haha.... The Flyers have dropped so low we're now "tuning in" to watch the coach!...... Classic!

(And I agree completely that Torts will be the most entertaining part of this season.... which is sad.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

And yet we all know, Braun(35), Anisimov(34-will obviously get a pathetic Fletcher deal), Roussel(32-will also obviously get a ridiculous Fletcher deal and be touted as the "type of player that Tortorella loves"...), JVR(33), Atkinson(33), Deslauriers(31), Hayes(30), Brown(30), Seeler(29), Laughton(28) will all be wearing a Flyers sweater this season among the 23 man roster. 

Wait I thought you wanted to go for Bedard?

Well if so wouldn't that be the best way to tank and do it?

Seems it would be too me to put a bunch of old guys out there instead of a bunch of hungry do anything to get it done kids out there?

Sometimes it just feels like no matter what they do you're going to bitch about it.

Can't have it both ways.

:beer:

• Good Post 1

5 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Exactly. That was their one and only stab at a rebuild. Holmgren had emptied the cupboard so completely he left them no choice but to rebuild.

It seems Hextall was the last Flyers' GM to actually have a plan. I don't know if he would've delivered a Cup eventually but he was building the right way. He drafted:

Franchise goalie - check

Likely top-pair D-men - check

Talented forwards -check

Maybe it would've taken another 4 years, maybe more. But it's been that long and the Flyers are only worse than they've ever been...

Absolutely. You build championship teams by trading away veterans for more picks and prospects. You don't trade away picks and prospects for veterans other people don't want. 

There are many examples of dumb management but the Risto trade sums it up best. If you look at Buffalo who have had a series of bad GMs (and coaches) trading away Risto and the rest of their big names has resulted in a prospect pool that is literally over flowing with potential talent. They have so many people coming, plus multiple picks still coming (including our 2nd rounder) that in a few years they won't have spots for them. 

Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh are all on their last legs. Tampa is still good but aging. The conference will flip soon and the good teams will be Carolina, NYR, along with Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, and the way Fletcher has managed things we will be left far behind unless Torts can somehow right this thing (but I suspect there isn't enough talent to make that possible). 

• Like 3

O'Reilly is only there to land an AHL contract. No one is giving a 36 year old dead horse an NHL contract and a roster spot. His time to play in the NHL was 10 years ago. This is just about collecting a pay cheque from somewhere. He's not an idiot and he knows he's not taking a roster spot from a Laczynski type (who I think will end up as the 4th line center).

I'm more concerned that guys like Anisimov, Seeler, etc.... are playing. And what's even scarier is that it isn't the coach that sets the roster - its the idiot GM and his bald pedo looking assistant that do. Remember, it was Vigneault who wanted Frost on the big club because his defense improved immensely and it was the retard that's the GM that sent him to Laperriere in the AHL. 

I fully expect Tortorella will match to the best of his own drum and if he determines that the young players will play, they'll play. And he'll do it to spite Fletcher. Honestly, what I see happening is going to be a passing match between the coach and the GM and when the coach starts playing more of the youth over the veterans, you're going to see Fletcher farm them out to force Tortorella's hand and you'll see Tortorella call out Fletcher in the media and Dave Scott will be forced to choose a side. It's gonna get messy because the coach and the GM aren't on the same page. 

• Like 3
  • Uggh... 1

12 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

O'Reilly is only there to land an AHL contract.

Exactly.

Some will react to everything here.

They know who they are. He is only signed so he can help with the lineup because they want o only dress so many kids and so many vets for these preseason games.

Plus during the AHL season they have to dress so many vets too i think.

Cal is here just for a body more likely and just to help in the AHL if any at all. No worries.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

I hear what you're saying.  Really, I do.  But, it doesn't mean it makes any sense at all.  Why is a 36 year old "dead horse" being given anything by this organization?  If he's only here for a lineup spot in Lehigh, he's still getting in the way of youth at that level, and there's no reason for it.  If they need a body that badly in that lineup, it should be to a younger player that actually might have some future in the organization.  Whether that future is in the AHL or NHL.  Not to a 36 year old that doesn't even deserve an AHL contract and lineup spot.  I know who the player is.  I've seen him play.  And, he never should have even been a consideration for any lineup spot.

Uh, you realize that Dave Scott just promoted Fletcher to add President of Hockey Operations and Alternate Governor to his GM title, right?  If what you see happening actually comes to fruition, it won't be Fletcher that takes the fall for it.  To believe otherwise only shows that you really don't realize what's actually going on within the front office of this organization.  And, it's certainly not to coddle a head coach and his circus act over what they consider to be a competent, successful manager.  As failed and ridiculous as that consideration is, that's the reality.

I get where you're coming from. As for Fletcher, while I get that he has the president title, I can't imagine Comcast wanting to pay another coach $5+ million from a firing. And we all know that this organization has a tendency to turn on their favorites pretty quickly, so I think with Fletcher going into year 5(?) and no visible improvement, you can bet that the senior advisors are sharpening the knives to plunge into his back. When you consider they turned on Hextall for less, they won't tolerate the Schmuck much longer. It's such a vicious cycle with this franchise. Hopefully whoever the next GM is, they demand complete autonomy in all hockey and personnel matters, including senior advisors. That's the only way to clean this mess up. 

• Like 2

And what's with Anisimov, he got hurt in the first game didn't he? I think I read he hasn't practiced since...

But now that Couturier "doesn't need surgery" and his status is "week to week" all is well again. Never mind that the exact same scenario played out last year when Couturier went out of the lineup - this time is different for sure it is.

12 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But now that Couturier "doesn't need surgery" and his status is "week to week" all is well again. Never mind that the exact same scenario played out last year when Couturier went out of the lineup - this time is different for sure it is.

Ryan Ellis was week to week, didn't need surgery, then definitely expected to be ready for camp, now may never play again.

🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

Right. So everything seems to be going according to plan...good deal!

edit: come to think of it - I'm sure I'm not the first - I wonder if we'll ever see Couturier skating for the Flyers again. I mean it's not out of the question...back surgery in February, in his own words a "tough rehab" this summer with multiple setbacks...and now another (or the same) back injury. I think it's safe to say the outlook for ol' #14 - from my distant vantage point of course - is not very promising.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It looks like if Sandstrom is still banged up Ersson might make the opening night roster to back Hart up.

I am good with that kid has looked solid. He will be pushing hard for a spot by 2023-24.

Felix better bring it this season or it could be his last in Philly.