Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread 2022-23

8 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Dear Former 10th overall pick and current Waiver Wire Veteran:

Well then, good luck in Buffalo, Tyson Jost.
Maybe there, on your THIRD NHL team, you won't have to 'walk on eggshells' and finally be able to perform like the 10th overall selection someone deemed you to be worth.....because you know, both the Avalanche and the Wild simply have NO IDEA about rhythm, timing, or anything like that...and neither organization has good players to line up with....

And I suspect, Mr. Jost, you've had ample contact throughout your whole time in the NHL with the Buffalo Sabres organization because you ALREADY know what a 'great young core and have a great thing going' over there?
They for SURE don't have any eggshells to walk on....heck, not even hens and roosters anywhere in sight.

I can see why you'd find the Avs Cup run hard to watch: They were able to win, despite their big failing of not keeping you on the team. I mean...what the HELL was Joe Sakic thinking??

Anyways, here's your shot, Tyson.
No more excuses, no more teams holding you back, no more linemates messing with your 'rhythm'.

You are excited to be part of the Buffalo Sabres....outstanding.
Then again, if you'd said anything else with a microphone or a social media account nearby, you'd be an idiot.

Yours truly,
The Wild fans who will miss you.....in some alternate timeline or universe.
:wild: :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

And Jost gets in a fight in his first shift with Buffalo 

Well yea.
I mean, guy has to show he's gonna fit in, right?
Sell Buffalo some 'goods'.

What he does AFTER they say "He is one of us now" is what will determine whether or not he was truly held back by the evil Avalanche and Wild organizations. :bigteeth:

I think we are going to miss the playoffs this season. Too good teams ahead of us: Stars; Avalanche; Blues; Jets; Predators. Blues already won 7 games in a row. And the Jets are a pretty physical team. Probably the entire Wild team, especially Foligno; Duhaime; Shaw should be ready for it for tonight's game. 

4 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Not a Reeves fan whatsoever but this team needed some muscle. If it doesn’t work out they lose a fifth rounder in 2025. Not a big loss 

Agreed.
Always thought Reaves was one of the biggest on-ice bullies in the modern NHL, BUT, maybe what this team needs is a bully to play on their side for once...

This move obviously doesn't help the team's sputtering offense, but at least maybe the other team's focus will be on Reaves himself at times and less on Kap and his linemates? Or at least not take as many liberties with them?

A small thing that may help, but Minnesota needs more...lots more....to be anything close to a serious contender.

• Good Post 1

Right. The Wild need some toughness and the price is really good. Losing a 5th is no big deal. However, Reaves is tool who's onyl great at yapping. Back at the time the Golden Knights tried to use him as a bully in the postseason but he remained a total non-factor. As he has been for the Rangers.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ryan Reaves pretty much represents an older, version of Nick Deslauriers.

At least Deslauriers can fight and score goals (ok, not frequently but still). He also shows respect towards his opponents like his last fight vs. Montréal's Xhekaj: after beating him, he immediately leaned over him and told him "Thanks man, Great fight, you have a good future in this league, Keep on this way. Kudos to you, I have lots of respect for what you've done, accepting this fight". (from TVAS's Renaud Lavoie)

The world of enforcers and their code is pretty unique...

• Like 1

Also, on the goalie front...

Some go on and on about Jesper Wallstedt...but what if the Wild have their goalie, post-Marc Andre Fleury, already in Filip Gustavsson? 
The guy has played reasonably well not only on the Wild, but in Ottawa given the Senators were just putrid defensively.

He is only 24 still and won't even be 25 until after the season is ending.
Most goalies enter their prime years around 25 or 26 years old.
MAF's two year contract will be up by then.

Maybe Fleury going down with injury and Gustavsson getting extended time in the net will be just what he needs to improve as a player.
It'd be nice if Wallstedt also rounds into form about the same time as Fleury's contract is up to compete with Gustavsson. It'd be a nice "problem" for the Wild to have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

After posting, and just thinking a bit on it....

Ryan Reaves pretty much represents an older, version of Nick Deslauriers.
Yikes.

We will see, but we didn't keep on a guy....only to end up with a more antique model of the basically the same player?

True, but the Wild only have Reaves through this season. Not sure what Deslauriers was looking for when he was a UFA with the Wild, but Philly signed him to a four year contract. I don't know if it would have been worth signing DeLo to a four year contract...

I'll wait and see on Gustavson, but I like his style much more than Fleury's. Not a fan of all the rebounds and flopping around.

Reeves is a beast, but I'm not sure he can catch anyone until after the whistle.

At least the price is right.

On 11/21/2022 at 5:28 PM, IllaZilla said:

So who's walking on eggshells?

I thought the eggshell walking was done when the Wonder Twins and the rest of the Country Club were jettisoned...

Russo tried to explain this on his podcast this week; he said it was more or less that the team had high expectations and to play so lousy their first 3 games put everyone on edge for being that awful.  

Not sure if I buy it, but I'm sure for him...after his pre-season and then that he probably felt like he was barely holding onto a roster spot.  He just never did enough to impress or keep his spot despite the opportunities to do so.  

On 11/23/2022 at 3:09 PM, IllaZilla said:

True, but the Wild only have Reaves through this season. Not sure what Deslauriers was looking for when he was a UFA with the Wild, but Philly signed him to a four year contract. I don't know if it would have been worth signing DeLo to a four year contract...

Nic Deslauriers was good the first game with the Wild and after that it never really amounted to much.  Tony Abbott had a pretty good article about how the Wild keep making the same assumption that adding a tough guy will fix other problems not related to toughness.  

Chris Simon, Brad Staubitz, Nic Deslauriers...lots of guys brought in...still didn't put us over the top.