Travis Sanheim 8 years/6.25mill AAV

OccamsRazor

11 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

Nice work, Chuck—took one of our best trade prospects for a great looking draft this summer, and made him unmovable.

I don't know if he's unmovable - GMs have been known to get crazy/stupid at the TD - but you're right this was another classic Chuckles overpay. And what's with the NTC? That's a perquisite that's supposed to be reserved for marquee players. Since when does a 2nd-pair D-man who's cracked 30pts twice in 5 years rate a NTC?

Sanheim's productivity probably won't improve much with Ristolainen as his partner. Thanks to Fletcher and Co. Tortorella now has to go along with the fiction that Ristolainen is a legit 2nd pair guy. Sanheim and the Flyers would be better served if he had a partner who could keep up with him. Not that Sanheim is some amazingly gifted D-man, just that he's quite obviously quicker on his feet and in his reads than Ristolainen ever will be.

Sanheim is nowhere near a finished product but there's been glimpses of greatness (a slight exaggeration). We've seen the same from Provorov, Konecny, Farabee, Hart too - and that bodes well for the future if - granted it's a big "if" - if Tortorella can hammer some integrity and self-respect into this bunch.

• Good Post 1

13 hours ago, radoran said:

I don't get the, pardon me, gotstobehere aspect of this signing...

Paying for potential as per usual. I didn't mind it with Gostisbehere because we all watched him dazzle the NHL his rookie year. I figured if he stayed healthy he'd keep dazzling for years to come and the Flyers would have a great offensive weapon on their back end. 

Evidently they've done the same thing with Sanheim but if he dazzled anyone I must've missed it. As I said I believe his productivity suffers with Ristolainen and if that situation doesn't change soon this contract will go down as yet another Big Fail.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Paying for potential as per usual. I didn't mind it with Gostisbehere because we all watched him dazzle the NHL his rookie year. I figured if he stayed healthy he'd keep dazzling for years to come and the Flyers would have a great offensive weapon on their back end. 

You sign a 24-year-old to a six year deal based on potential.

You sign a 27-year-old to an eight-year deal (with NTC) based on performance.

11 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Evidently they've done the same thing with Sanheim but if he dazzled anyone I must've missed it.

And this is the point. Why commit to Sanheim for term and price, with an NTC??

That said, when one looks at a comparable like, say, Ryan Pulock (8Y, $49M, NTC), it's pretty evident that the contract is not "out of line" with where the league has been going...

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

On 10/15/2022 at 10:05 AM, GratefulFlyers said:

Seven more years may discourage trade partners unless he's having a stellar season.

Yep Travis made sure he ain't getting traded. Well done!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Samifan said:

I think Sanheim was able to get his contact because he told Schmuck that he enjoyed vacationing in Minnesota in the off season. 

I can believe it. I can see them moving him out though and sliding Emil in into his slot in 2 years tops.

I really wonder if Sanhiem becomes a piece in a hockey trade?

His contract is not great, but it is about par for the course as has been mentioned.

He's got some things going for him ability-wise. 

It seems like Tortorella doesn't think he's all that good at hockey or something.

Maybe it's not that, but maybe he wants more from him and isn't getting it.

Dude's supposed to be a corner stone and he's struggled hard core this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of dudes playing for other teams next year.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can see them moving him out though and sliding Emil in into his slot in 2 years tops.

Buy high sell Low … what a way to run a railroad…

Sanheim’s contract may not be too out of line for a 2nd pair offensive D-man but Sanheim’s had an awful season. He’s got TWO points this year (2023) both assists. Any GM willing to take him has to consider him a reclamation project … if he’s traded this summer he sure won’t fetch much, barring a miraculous turnaround starting tonight.

Sanheim is the poster boy for whatever’s gone wrong with the Flyers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Buy high sell Low … what a way to run a railroad…

Sanheim’s contract may not be too out of line for a 2nd pair offensive D-man but Sanheim’s had an awful season. He’s got TWO points this year (2023) both assists. Any GM willing to take him has to consider him a reclamation project … if he’s traded this summer he sure won’t fetch much, barring a miraculous turnaround starting tonight.

Sanheim is the poster boy for whatever’s gone wrong with the Flyers.

Yeah I can see them trying to resurrect his career.

A team with more talent that can hold onto the puck so they spend less time defending will go a long ways.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I really wonder if Sanhiem becomes a piece in a hockey trade?

His contract is not great, but it is about par for the course as has been mentioned.

He's got some things going for him ability-wise. 

It seems like Tortorella doesn't think he's all that good at hockey or something.

Maybe it's not that, but maybe he wants more from him and isn't getting it.

Dude's supposed to be a corner stone and he's struggled hard core this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of dudes playing for other teams next year.

He's played for 6 years and has just 2 ok years the other 4 he has sucked ass !!! 

17 hours ago, Pedo 228 ERQS said:

Yeah i posted on this **** 5 months ago as well. So do you still think hes ok ?

How about letting every player on this totally dysfunctional joke have a reboot and see what they can do under real management. Heck, even if Briere and co. are halfassed at what they do, that's a halfass better than Fletcher and Homer were. 

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

How about letting every player on this totally dysfunctional joke have a reboot and see what they can do under real management.

Sure. With one exception.

I would love to move on from Hayes. 

I am tired of seeing him out there because i know he doesn't fit.

Everyone else even two guys i'm not a fan of Risto and TDA i will give the reboot. But i really hope the move on from TDA this offseason.

Someone has to need a right hand shot who adds a little offense and as expected at defense.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

How about letting every player on this totally dysfunctional joke have a reboot and see what they can do under real management.

Absolutely. 

As disgusted as we were with Fletcher you know the players feel it even more. They knew better than anyone how hopeless their future was with that clown in charge. It’s got to suck skating alongside a guy who’s making twice, three times what you’re making knowing the whole time he’s a slug who can never keep up.

Committing to Hayes, Ristolainen… throwing away picks to move a guy who probably could’ve helped your joke of a PP…. and then hiring a guy who’s even more expensive to replace him…! Talk about mismanagement that was one for the history books. And the list goes on and on.

All that sh-it takes its toll on the players, it kills all the things teams have to have to compete with the best… pride in the logo, caring about your teammates, etc. etc. Tortorella forced it on them this year and he got a spark going. Now maybe, hopefully they can start sparking themselves. Unless the front office screws it up again.

//rant

Edited by GratefulFlyers