What I saw from Torts and this team in the first game of 2022

Fizz

The team played hard, I never saw too many players take a shift off. The Defense played a lot better than all of last season, yeah there were a few blunders and giveaways but over all much better.

Carter Hart......he gave up a couple stinkers tonight but he also made some great saves. The kid needs to get his confidence back and tonight might have been the start of that journey for him.

Another thing I noticed and liked was there were some set plays from faceoffs and also some set break out plays from their own end.

One thing about Torts is his teams will always put in the effort, yeah there is still plenty to work on.

Don't get me wrong this is still a bad team and will be hard pressed to make a big improvement over last year.

But hey we are 1-0....so there is that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Samifan said:

They also did not **** the bed after the Debbie’s cut it to 4-2. Flyers team last few years would have crumbled and lost 5-4 in overtime 

that's the thing, last year, this team wasnt getting blown out every game, they were in games especially against good teams, they couldnt close them out which is why i think they could be bubble team this year especially with a great coach, i mean, if last year's team was quitting and getting blown out every game, then i can see a reason for a major rebuild.

Edited by tucson83

I didn't get to watch a lot night my wife would not leave me along with things to do around the house. I was very pissed with her.

But it is good to see they found a way to win. That is what we will see a lot this year because if nothing else happens they will be skating and working so i expect them to win some games i have already given up hope for Bedard - they may be bad even but not bad enough to have a chance at that kid.

It is what it is.

Provy played a very good game when i look at the numbers not sure if it tells the whole story but form reports them chemistry was fine and still a work in progress with TDA.

But i do know they didn't have to over come Captain bonehead Risto either so that was a plus too. He will be back soon to screw it up.

If the team shows up and plays hard that will be enough for me this season.

Last night they did that and got a W vs a bad Devils team. There were moments of Keystone cops chasing the play but they managed to limit them and right the ship.

Mackenzie Blackwood has been overrated his whole career. I hope the Devils continue to see improvement from him.

I hate that team so I'm glad for the win.

Reality will come soon enough, trip to Florida vs the pissed off Lightning anyone?

I'm enjoying the good win and the frisky play. I will watch a team that competes like that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Reality will come soon enough, trip to Florida vs the pissed off Lightning anyone?

Let's see how they look vs the Canucks first.

And if they ever want to be where they want to be well they are going to have to face those tops teams to get there so why wait.

One game at a time. I am certain they can get back on track 1-81-0 is coming....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tucson83 said:

that's the thing, last year, this team wasnt getting blown out every game, they were in games especially against good teams, they couldnt close them out which is why i think they could be bubble team this year especially with a great coach, i mean, if last year's team was quitting and getting blown out every game, then i can see a reason for a major rebuild.

I appreciate that hope springs eternal.  Last year the team started out 8-4-2. Near the top of the Division.

They then went on a eight game losing streak: 4-3(SO - Tampa), 5-2 (Boston), 4-0 (Tampa), 2-1 (Florida), 6-3 (Carolina), 5-2 (Devils), 4-1 (Rangers), 7-1 (Tampa), 7-5 (Colorado)

Then went 5-0-2 (wins over VGK, ARI, NJD, OTT, SEA, SOW v MTL, OTL v SJS - these aren't the cream of the NHL crop)

Then lost 12 in a row. 6-3 (LAK), 4-1 (ANA), 6-2 (PIT), 3-2 (OT - San Jose), 3-2 (Boston), 3-2 (NYR), 4-1 (NYI), 4-3 (SO - NYI), 2-1 (CLS), 6-3 (BUF), 3-1 (DAL), 4-3 (NYI)

That's 12 of 20 games in those two stretches lost by two or more goals. Blown out by CAR, TAM, NYR, LAK, ANA, PIT, NYI, BUF.

Were there games that they "played tight" with better teams? Sure. I refer you to times when a then-successful Flyers team would play down to opponents and lose to "lesser" teams during the regular season. Playing down isn't a shock - it's a hockey cliche.

I'm certainly not going to complain if they're a better team than last season. That shouldn't be the challenge that it might be...

• Like 4

@radoran

The Flyers lost the shots and possession/territory battles...pretty significantly last night.

To support your point, that 8-4-2 stretch was the team winning games where they were highly opportunistic (read lucky)

At that time, it felt to me like the wheels could be coming off at any moment, especially the way the Bruins wrecked them on Star Wars night.

That team was passive and getting caved nightly; after one game this team is showed more spunk and didn't settle for long stretches of bad play. 

I watched far more of that game than I thought I would. 

Hate watching the Devils maybe...those ****s. 

But yeah, if the team competes and improves, I won't mind it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ruxpin said:

End the season now and prorate!

I expected nothing less from you than honesty as always. 😉 Had to listen to the game and it seemed they spent too much time playing in the wrong zone. Happy to see them win but not putting a whole lot of faith in them. I will absolutely love to eat crow on that. Back in Pa rux if you would like to get together for a beer or 3. 

• Like 2