Shelley - 1:15 Ice Time

Guest Bakanekimiwa

In all seriousness, I like a tough guy on the team, a policeman to put fear into the opponent and keep them from taking cheap shots at the skill players. Like Schultz to Clarkie, Brown to the 80's teams. But in today's NHL that guy has to be able to play the game, and Shelley clearly can't. His salary is a waste of cap space, and his presence is a waste of a roster spot

I certainly wish my pay rate was equivalent with his..... :unsure: Let's say he averages 2 minutes a game over an 82 game season that comes out to 164 minutes or 2 hrs and 44 minutes of "paid time" which comes out to about 400,000 dollars an hour......damn.....I think I am going to be sick......

I certainly wish my pay rate was equivalent with his..... :unsure: Let's say he averages 2 minutes a game over an 82 game season that comes out to 164 minutes or 2 hrs and 44 minutes of "paid time" which comes out to about 400,000 dollars an hour......damn.....I think I am going to be sick......

damn.. that's pretty good. still not as good as Jorge posadas last deal.. about $500 a pitch caught. shoulda been an athlete...

my dad told me when i was young college is a waste of time you'll never make good money. in this case he would be right

But in today's NHL that guy has to be able to play the game, and Shelley clearly can't.

I disagree Sars. On Zac's goal the other night he made it happen by getting in deep and quick on the 4check, creating the time/space so the play could develop. He's not a complete stiff. While it's definitely a steep cap hit for a limited-role player I don't hate him in the O&B. I think it was a mistake signing him for that price but now that he's here I'm okay with it. Would I rather have Konopka or Prust or even Asham? Definitely. But it didn't work out that way...

I think he's just one of those guys who's contribution rarely shows up on the scoresheet but is there all the same. I don't mean the usual "great locker-room guy" and all that I mean on the ice.

I disagree Sars. On Zac's goal the other night he made it happen by getting in deep and quick on the 4check, creating the time/space so the play could develop. He's not a complete stiff. While it's definitely a steep cap hit for a limited-role player I don't hate him in the O&B. I think it was a mistake signing him for that price but now that he's here I'm okay with it. Would I rather have Konopka or Prust or even Asham? Definitely. But it didn't work out that way...

I think he's just one of those guys who's contribution rarely shows up on the scoresheet but is there all the same. I don't mean the usual "great locker-room guy" and all that I mean on the ice.

Asham was another victim of breaking up the crew. He wanted to stay in philly but they went out and signed Shelley for the 1.1 mil per and did not really discuss an extension with him. It still irritates me that we could have had a 3 rd line player with enough skills to score as well as drop the gloves but instead we got Shelley. That is probably one of the biggest reasons I am not a Shelley fan.

I could be a great locker room guy too and I would do it for about 10% of his salary. Hell I would do it for 5% of his salary. I could tell funny jokes, drink beers with the youth, tell stories about how I used to play wing man for my friends, puking in toilets in Mexico, hanging at college bars, etc. I could discuss the trials and tribulations of marriage and getting older, what a good method of birth control could be, my favorite episode of In Living Color, the worst Ozzy album, etc, etc.

I could all this and more, but it's not worth a million dollars at the end of the day. That $$ is going to bite the Flyers in the ass when Shenn comes off of IR and somebody has to get sent down.

The game has evolved and Shelley doesn't fit the bill anymore. In fact, he should pay the Flyers for his ice time, not the other way around.

I can't explain it... I'd trade him in a second for another Rinaldo... someone who can skate, score and fight... ( maybe not in that order )

I would trade him for a used tampon but you still won't find any takers..........the flyers are stuck with his contract unless they send him to Glen Falls and due to his age, i am not even sure that is possible.......