Wings down yet another forward

yave1964

The Wings forwards are getting painfully thin as their depth continues to be tested.

First Robbie Fabbri is still recovering from injury that will keep him out until after the first of the year

Then Bertuzzi was injured and is expected to miss four to six weeks

The Vrana entered substance abuse protocol with no timetable for his return

Now Sundqvist is out listed as day to day. He has been a force arguably one of our top two or three forwards in every game.

It has given guys such as Suter and Zadina a chance to showcase what they can do trying to force their way into the lineup while Kubalik has moved from the bottom line to the top and is proving to be the steal of the offseason. Copp and especially Perron have stepped up, our depth is simply the key right now.

The latest addition is Matt Luff a winger who can play either side who over four years has split time between the NHL and AHL with the Kings and Preds. He can score, over a point a game in the AHL over the last two years his defense has always been what holds him back. At 25 he is running out of chances and has to know it, if he plays a complete game with the Wings he could be another great under the radar add. If not he will fill in for a few games and be quickly dispatched to the AHL. I was a bit surprised that Bergrenn was not the first callup but Luff was on fire with the Griffins so it makes sense for him to get the call.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Can't wait to see them vs the Bruins tonight...Marchand returns.

Surprised to see him back in the first game of a back to back but he is a tough SOB. At least a month ahead of schedule. Hope the Wings win but good on him for fighting back so soon.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Vrana entered substance abuse protocol with no timetable for his return

Damn. I was wondering what was going on with him. I drafted him in my keeper when he was 17 and just loved the pick, he has so much skill in my opinion. And I need him playing! I wonder if this is related at all to his injury last year? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I was a bit surprised that Bergrenn was not the first callup but Luff was on fire with the Griffins so it makes sense for him to get the call.

Berggren was injured in the first game this season after getting hit HARD and has not played since dealing with a concussion, as I understand it.

And as far as tonight's game was concerned, reality check. Without 3 of our top 6 forwards, playing against a very good Boston team full of experienced veterans, including a returning Brad Marchand, I expected a solid Boston victory, and that's what I got. Held in for 2 periods, but despite the Red Wing panelists trying to sell that they were playing just about as well as the Bruins were, the O-zone time differential told the story, even in the first two periods. The collapse in the 3rd didn't surprise me once they scored in the first 2 minutes. Rasmussen was having a good game until he made stupid mistakes and lived in the box for 3 Boston PPs. Cost us the momentum, which led to the loss.

But this game really shows just how far away we are from being a competitive club. It's OK, because that doesn't change overnight, not even with some shrewd off-season moves by Stevie Y. We are better than we were last year, but still have a ways to go before we will be playoff contenders. Would really help to get these 4 forwards back in the lineup though.

• Like 2