Game 10: Philadelphia Flyers at Toronto Maple Leafs; 11/2/22 @ 7 PM; NBCSP

Howie58

It's going to be a long year.

Not sure how much of this I can endure.

The sad part is I'm at work and would rather watch YouTube videos or tik tok or anything else besides watch this.

I feel for the people who fork out hard earned cash and travel to and from these games.

My advice find something else to do this year.

Fly Eagles Fly

:Eagles:

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Some players will be out of the system at their current level of play.

Rightfully so.

No room for passengers.

Regardless of draft status or pay check.

Dead weight has to go.

It's the only way.

• Like 1

Ya, the PP sucks and there's definitely changes that need to be made but I also thought the refs sucked in this one, as they so often do in Toronto and Matthews is a suck as well. 

We can't skate with that team, we should have been more physical. maybe all the penalties threw that idea off idk. Not a good game. 

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Are we in need of a new backup? I didn't watch. Those who did chime in. I've read pieces that say his audition has been largely back-to-back 2nd games, which is a kiss of death for this squad.

He wasn't awful but he did let in a long shot, nobody screening he just missed catching it. It happens. I can hardly blame Sandstrom for a loss when you get outshot 74-12. Or whatever it was.

3 losses in 3 starts but as you said all were the 2nd night of a B-2-B - this time against a team coming off an embarrassing road trip.

Best part was seeing the Flyers respond to Matthews showboating. I didn't think it was so terrible but when your team is up 3 in the final minutes I can understand why TK thought Matthews was just rubbing their faces in it. Anyway it sets up a good rematch!

Edited by GratefulFlyers

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Are we in need of a new backup? I didn't watch.

I don't think so. 

Konecny deflected Tavares' 1st goal, the one from way out mentioned by one off the gritty guys. 

His skate broke on the 3rd Tavares goal.

He saw a ton of shots, his save % wasn't super, .886 on 44 shots. 

I didn't think he looked like hot garbage (like that Grosnek) or some of the other detritus the FO has paraded through the system. 

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think so. 

Konecny deflected Tavares' 1st goal, the one from way out mentioned by one off the gritty guys. 

His skate broke on the 3rd Tavares goal.

He saw a ton of shots, his save % wasn't super, .886 on 44 shots. 

I didn't think he looked like hot garbage (like that Grosnek) or some of the other detritus the FO has paraded through the system. 

Dear Mojo,

Thanks for the assessment.  I gather Ersson isn't in the immediate future.  

• Like 1

Let's be realistic. We are seeing exactly what we expected to see before the season began. Even with everybody healthy, we knew the Flyers would be struggling mightily. Add not having JVR, Atkinson, and Couturier, and on paper, this is arguably the worst NHL team today. Frankly, they are overperforming gigantically at this point in the season. Carter will keep them in many games, but the Toronto game is what we should really start expecting to be more of a regularity. Fletch set them up to fail... No two ways about it.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Let's be realistic. We are seeing exactly what we expected to see before the season began. Even with everybody healthy, we knew the Flyers would be struggling mightily. Add not having JVR, Atkinson, and Couturier, and on paper, this is arguably the worst NHL team today. Frankly, they are overperforming gigantically at this point in the season. Carter will keep them in many games, but the Toronto game is what we should really start expecting to be more of a regularity. Fletch set them up to fail... No two ways about it.

I didn’t expect much when we thought we would have Coots, JVR and Atkinson, now it’s just a matter of time before our lack of talent  really starts to show. Under Torts we are at least putting in a good effort every night and playing competitive hockey. One thing I don’t like, we  are already starting to bench younger guys for old mediocre players and once we sign Anisimov after his injury heals , you can say good bye to Frost or Lacynski.  Just like last year when you had washed up stiffs like Charlie Brown, Brassard and Yandle playing, you now have guys like Sedlak, McEwen, Deslauriers ,Seeler and soon to be Anisimov taking up roster spots . I know these guys are not playing bad, but the younger guys should get the ice time. 

If we had realistic management, this is the kind of season where you take some extra loses and play all the young guys knowing that you have no chance to make the playoffs, instead of playing marginal vets in hopes to squeeze out a few extra wins. We want to know for sure , once and for all ,what you have in guys like Zamula, Lacynski, Allison, Tippett, Bellows and especially Frost. Most of those guys have been up and down from pros to minors and injured as well, so their development got set back. By playing these guys a lot  you will know for sure by seasons end, who stays and who goes and give the guys who are staying solid experience for next season. Of course since we had a decent start the morons upstairs probably think we have a shot at the playoffs. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Just like last year when you had washed up stiffs like Charlie Brown, Brassard and Yandle playing, you now have guys like Sedlak, McEwen, Deslauriers

I'm going to push back on lumping Sedlak in with the stiffs.

Dude has been pretty good, he's good on the forecheck, he's got some wheels, he goes to the net front and he's not an old.  

I think he's fitting the definition of an NHL 4th line player. Some of the guys you mentioned are just hanging on to their careers by a lace I don't think Sedlak is one of them.

And truly, Frost should have taken control of his NHL destiny by now.  He's just a guy at this point, I don't see any magic, he's Matt Read's age (when Matt came into the league) now and he's not "Matt Read-ing" his opportunity.

I think if Frost is waived, he'll clear. 

• Like 2

This franchise ruined Frost. He should have been a major offensive contributor, but they focused on his weaknesses and coached all the skill out of his game. He needs to be rescued from m this **** hole. 

I had high hopes for Tortorella but he's not going to do ****. Holding players accountable? Does that mean next game that Stinktolainen and Seeler are out of the lineup? How about Provorov and DeAngelo? Tortorella talks a good game but the results have been piss poor so far. And just wait until he runs Hart into the ground and Carter can't cover up the garbage anymore. He'll be the next one under a bus. 

Until there's a thorough house cleaning of all management and coaching, nothing is going to change but the slogans, catch phrases and clichés used by this club. 

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm going to push back on lumping Sedlak in with the stiffs.

Dude has been pretty good, he's good on the forecheck, he's got some wheels, he goes to the net front and he's not an old.  

I think he's fitting the definition of an NHL 4th line player. Some of the guys you mentioned are just hanging on to their careers by a lace I don't think Sedlak is one of them.

And truly, Frost should have taken control of his NHL destiny by now.  He's just a guy at this point, I don't see any magic, he's Matt Read's age (when Matt came into the league) now and he's not "Matt Read-ing" his opportunity.

I think if Frost is waived, he'll clear. 

Sedlak is 29 and he wasn't even in the NHL last year.  I agree he is playing well and does have some wheels and the other marginal guys are doing OK too. I just think you gotta give a guy like Frost at least half a season with some decent ice time. We have had so many of our prospects injured ,moved up and down and benched that they probably don't have much confidence and their development has been stalled or possibly ruined. I'd rather lose 5-1 playing our top prospects than lose 2-1 playing a bunch of defensive players, a loss is a loss. 

I agree these young guys have to seize the opportunity but Frost is one of our most skilled guys and considering the lack of skill overall in this organization,  I would just want to give him a bunch of games before we write him off.  This season should be treated like an 80 game exhibition season,  let then young guys make mistakes and play against NHL competition and see what happens. Why the hell do we need Anisomov to join this team. You know he is gonna take Frost or Lacynskis spot.

@RonJeremy

I think benching the young guns is not really meant to promote or favor the oldies, but more to send a message to the kids. They have a whole career in front of them.  Frost, Joel Farabee and possibly some others will need to learn that there is more to playing professional hockey than just stickhandling and shooting from all possible angles. If they want to make it in this league, they need to learn hard way. Not holding them accountable won't be doing any favors to them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

@RonJeremy

I think benching the young guns is not really meant to promote or favor the oldies, but more to send a message to the kids. They have a whole career in front of them.  Frost, Joel Farabee and possibly some others will need to learn that there is more to playing professional hockey than just stickhandling and shooting from all possible angles. If they want to make it in this league, they need to learn hard way. Not holding them accountable won't be doing any favors to them.

I know but it just seems that management is under some delusion that this is a playoff team. With the injuries to Coots and Atkinson have they still not accepted that we need a rebuild . Make a commitment to the young guys and just stick with it, it's a lost season anyway.

Signing Anisomov just ensures that a young guy is going back to the Phantoms. Why do we need another washed up vet, so we finish in 26th place instead of 28th? I'm actually hoping Coots and Atkinson retire, why tie up all that $ in old injured players. Coots will never be the same if he does come back. At best you would get two decent seasons out of him for 8 million per, but I even doubt that. Rebuild and go with the young guys.

Edited by RonJeremy

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I know but it just seems that management is under some delusion that this is a playoff team. With the injuries to Coots and Atkinson have they still not accepted that we need a rebuild . Make a commitment to the young guys and just stick with it, it's a lost season anyway.

Signing Anisomov just ensures that a young guy is going back to the Phantoms. Why do we need another washed up vet, so we finish in 26th place instead of 28th? I'm actually hoping Coots and Atkinson retire, why tie up all that $ in old injured players. Coots will never be the same if he does come back. At best you would get two decent seasons out of him for 8 million per, but I even doubt that. Rebuild and go with the young guys.

Are they definitely signing Anisimov?

I know he's still on a PTO but can (would? do?) you release someone under the circumstances?

I'm with you, Anisimov showed nothing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I agree with most of it. But I would be surprised if Flyers' management think this is a playoff team. Can they really be *that* delusional?

And I do have a hunch Couturier will retire. Or he may give it one more shot and realize he is done. It will be such a damned shame, but I think he is a broken player, unfortunately. Playing a strong defensive style for years, playing one-on-one against power forwards made him took some serious beating game after game, year after year, until it broke him.   

Edited by Mad Dog

On 11/3/2022 at 10:45 AM, Mad Dog said:

Let's be realistic. We are seeing exactly what we expected to see before the season began. Even with everybody healthy, we knew the Flyers would be struggling mightily. Add not having JVR

You were doing good up to JVR, then I checked out 😁