Game 18: Philadelphia Flyers at Montreal Canadiens; 11/19/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

will Fletcher and Torts clash (which is likely) and if so who will get the door?

I'm thinking Fletcher gets the door. Only because they apparently brought in Torts over his objections.  They're not going to suffer Fletcher telling them, "I told you so!"  So he can tell them that from his cell phone while he's at the unemployment office.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm thinking Fletcher gets the door. Only because they apparently brought in Torts over his objections.  They're not going to suffer Fletcher telling them, "I told you so!"  So he can tell them that from his cell phone while he's at the unemployment office.

Has that been proven? Did they hire Torts against Fletcher's wishes? I hope it's true, but I am not sure that was ever more than speculation or wishful thinking. Maybe I missed it. 

17 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Has that been proven? Did they hire Torts against Fletcher's wishes? I hope it's true, but I am not sure that was ever more than speculation or wishful thinking. Maybe I missed it. 

I don't think I ever saw that come from an official source.  Innuendo and "reporting."   The only part I guess is certain is that they used an outside agency.   That in itself smacks at Fletcher.   The rest of it is typical Philadelphia reporting for the sake of causing trouble.

Unless someone has seen something else.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

they used an outside agency.   

I can't think of anything that says the GM doesn't have a clue than this. If you're managing a pro hockey team, shouldn't you at least have an idea of what coach you want?

I've never liked Tortsie...but if he gets Fletcher fired, I LOVE him!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I can't think of anything that says the GM doesn't have a clue than this. If you're managing a pro hockey team, shouldn't you at least have an idea of what coach you want?

I've never liked Tortsie...but if he gets Fletcher fired, I LOVE 

My biggest worry is that total dbag Fletcher will try and save his job by making some bold move. The problem is there are way too many holes in this lineup so there really are no moves to make. I read he is actively working the phones to make a deal. Has this clown finally accepted we are in a rebuild? Or is he gonna make a total ass wipe trade. The only moves he should be making if any , is for the future. We are not making the playoffs, so trading for a veteran is the dumbest move we can make.

Any move that is made should be only to acquire as many assets as possible for the future. Since we are a minimum of five years away from being even competitive we should seriously think about trading guys like DeAngelo, Provorov , TK and even Hart . DeAngelo is playing well and has a reasonable contract, he could be a deadline trade. TK and Provy are 26 ,both playing  well and have only three years left before they are UFAs, they will both be in their thirties by the time we are decent and looking for that last big long term contract.  Is there any reason to keep Hart if we are gonna suck for the next five years. So over the next year or the following year, I would put out the word and see what offers you can get for these guys.

Coots and Ellis are finished ,If Atkinson comes back and plays well, he can be a deadline move and JVR can also be a deadline move with his expiring contract.  We are stuck with Hayes and Risto unless some top contending team gets multiple long term injuries on defense that's the only way Risto can be traded. We have to keep an eye on the young guys with the Phantoms and if they keep playing well, guys like Attard and York can step in if any defenceman are traded, Zamula looked good in the games he played. Forrester , Desoyners and Gauthier are all playing good and can possibly step in after the deadline or next season. Ersson is playing great in goal and if he looks like the real deal ,might make Hart expendable. 

None of these moves have to be done unless we can get the maximum return and we have a couple of years to do it depending which way the team goes and how the young guys develop. Considering how deep the draft is , Schmuck should see what offers are out there for picks in this draft and top tier young guys that other teams might offer for our players. That's the only way you are gonna rebuild quick ,you have toget multiple picks and players for each guy you trade. As bad as Shmuck is , he actually hasn't drafted bad . He may have F'd up not drafting Caufield but time will tell if York and Brink were the right move,  UT either way they don't look like failures. Forrester and Gauthier are coming along and some late picks like Attard and Desoyners seem to be good picks.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

shouldn't you at least have an idea of what coach you want?

He knew exactly the kind of coach he wanted.

It was Vigneault. Backed by two other former head coaches.

He then fired Vigneault with - by his own admission - absolutely no plan of where to go next.

And here they are.

Vigneault was the right guy for the roster at the time. Veteran with success who could give structure and allow Giroux to get "a chance."

All of that was accomplished.

And then thrown away.

And here they are.

Now they have a core of old, injured players that have never really had any sort of team success as individuals combined with some draft picks in a similar situation staring down the high side of 25.

And that's the core for the next 2-3 seasons after this.

They've finally achieved not being two years away from being two years away - just in the wrong temporal direction.

It will be interesting when the coach the GM didn't pick tells him that he doesn't want several of his signature signings on the roster.

How do we think that goes?

And there they are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Or is he gonna make a total ass wipe trade.

Well it's what he's done on almost every single deal he's made....so odds are...

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

None of these moves have to be done unless we can get the maximum return and we have a couple of years to do it depending which way the team goes and how the young guys develop. Considering how deep the draft is , Schmuck should see what offers are out there for picks in this draft and top tier young guys that other teams might offer for our players. That's the only way you are gonna rebuild quick ,you have toget multiple picks and players for each guy you trade. As bad as Shmuck is , he actually hasn't drafted bad . He may have F'd up not drafting Caufield but time will tell if York and Brink were the right move,  UT either way they don't look like failures. Forrester and Gauthier are coming along and some late picks like Attard and Desoyners seem to be good picks.

Maximum return? I'd like to just break even on his trades.

Why would a guy who throws draft picks away try and acquire them

His drafting hasn't been bad. That's his ringing endorsement as a GM. His drafting also hasn't been good. Going in to his FIFTH draft, zero of his picks have been able to crack the garbage lineup he's icing. 

But hey, there was that one time when he hit that 5th rounder out of the park in Minnesota. So we have that going for us. 

And I have no faith whatsoever Fletcher can develop anyone into a gamechanger. He certainly had nothing to do with that 5th rounder in Minnesotas development.

14 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Well it's what he's done on almost every single deal he's made....so odds are...

Maximum return? I'd like to just break even on his trades.

Why would a guy who throws draft picks away try and acquire them

His drafting hasn't been bad. That's his ringing endorsement as a GM. His drafting also hasn't been good. Going in to his FIFTH draft, zero of his picks have been able to crack the garbage lineup he's icing. 

But hey, there was that one time when he hit that 5th rounder out of the park in Minnesota. So we have that going for us. 

And I have no faith whatsoever Fletcher can develop anyone into a gamechanger. He certainly had nothing to do with that 5th rounder in Minnesotas development.

I'm hoping he and his superiors have accepted that this is a rebuild and since the players I listed are under contract for several years they are not under the gun to trade them immediately and can wait for the best offers . His past trades were made out of desperation , so he overpaid. Of course I really hope he gets fired and we get a real architect to come in and build the team. He didnt do bad with the Giroux trade,we got a first rounder and Tippett is looking good.  The players I listed are the good enough to get multiple offers on ,so the Flyers are actually in the drivers seat .In this situation the Flyers can quickly build up this team if they accept it is actually a rebuild.  I agree that the Flyers have not developed their players properly but that's been going on under Hextall too. All we can do is hope, if we hold onto guys like TK and Provy and still suck three years from now, I don't see them being too eager to stick around. So they have to choose a plan and stick to it.

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I'm hoping he and his superiors have accepted that this is a rebuild and since the players I listed are under contract for several years they are not under the gun to trade them immediately and can wait for the best offers . His past trades were made out of desperation , so he overpaid. Of course I really hope he gets fired and we get a real architect to come in and build the team. He didnt do bad with the Giroux trade,we got a first rounder and Tippett is looking good.  The players I listed are the good enough to get multiple offers on ,so the Flyers are actually in the drivers seat .In this situation the Flyers can quickly build up this team if they accept it is actually a rebuild.  I agree that the Flyers have not developed their players properly but that's been going on under Hextall too. All we can do is hope, if we hold onto guys like TK and Provy and still suck three years from now, I don't see them being too eager to stick around. So they have to choose a plan and stick to it.

Ya, that's the tricky part. I'm not sure what their plan is, if they have one. 

I think everyone here is in favour of ditching most of the clowns on the roster and rebuilding and we hope they agree, but do they? I really don't know. For all we know they have some stupid idea that it's all just injuries holding us back. 

On 11/20/2022 at 2:28 PM, SCFlyguy said:

I would love some of what you are smoking.  I think .500 is the absolute ceiling for this team if everyone had a career year.  Hart has a .922 SV%, which would be a career year for him, except after his historic hot start his last five games are .879, .875, .848, .885, .889.  Maybe he won't be that bad the rest of the way, but if he's .907 the rest of the way (his career avg), they won't be .500.

Also, if the Flyers are .500 this year, Fletcher gets an extension, not replaced.

I chose not to spend a moment thinking about Zach MacEwen and neither should anyone else.

Carter Hart .893

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

nope …. Not one bit… i am actually pretty indifferent to this team. 

Just pointing out a fact….

I am the same. It is sad.

All I do is glance at the score board.

And not even come here much to comment nothing to say that hadn't been said.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am the same. It is sad.

All I do is glance at the score board.

And not even come here much to comment nothing to say that hadn't been said.

This team is so bad that there really is nothing new to discuss that already has not been said or discussed. 

Just about every topic about this team has been beaten to death…..

• Like 1