Game 19: Calgary Flames at Philadelphia Flyers; 11/21/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

7 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

The effort has been there for 10 years.  This has always been a talent problem.

I don't actually think that is true. We've had a number of talented slackers over the years that played some nights/shifts and took others off. I'm not concerned with the past though. Doesn't help. This is year one of the Torts era. Forward is the only way to look. 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers are a dumpster fire and their neighbor....

NJ can set a new franchise record Wednesday vs TOR!!!!

:DancingGrape:

In 2017 the Flyers and Devils pretty much sucked ,five years later we are actually worse than 2017 and the Devils have built themselves a very good team. They have also had lots of good luck go their way too ,while we have had nothing but bad luck. The rebuild , oh sorry ...the aggressive retool continues...

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

In 2017 the Flyers and Devils pretty much sucked ,five years later we are actually worse than 2017 and the Devils have built themselves a very good team. They have also had lots of good luck go their way too ,while we have had nothing but bad luck. The rebuild , oh sorry ...the aggressive retool continues...

Yep.

But it has when your two top overall picks and your 2nd overall don't have head/concussion issues and they also pan out.

This team is playing harder but without any talent the results are the same. How long does Comcast and the brass look at this team and think " we are only a few players away" because clearly this team is not getting any better. We have no idea what is going on with Cam and who knows what the future holds for Couts. Ryan Ellis is done and we have nobody in the pipe who is going to be anything worthwhile at the NHL level. Most of the young guys are middle-six or 4th liners. We are tied to some pretty horrible contracts because Fletch cant get out of his own way.

This is not going to be a quick turnaround and we are literally stuck in purgatory. Rinse and repeat with this crew of Executives. We suck enough to pick in the top 10 but I don't see this team getting into the top 3 in next years draft. This franchise just continues to flounder and there is no end in site.  Sigh ......

• Like 1

Not to worry guys.  The commish says this franchise is fine!  Of course, he doesn't buy tickets.  My fear is we will have the worst record and still not get in the top three picks.  I HATE how they have changed the draft and I HATE shoot outs.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, radoran said:

His mantra is playing hard regardless of the conditions.

Which never hurts... There is nothing wrong with having that little thing called work ethic. But again, when night after night, this team needs to counteract explosive talent of Pastrnak/Marchand/Bergeron, Aho/Necas/Svechnikov, Panarin/Zibanijad/Kreider, Crosby/Guentzel, Stamkos/Point/Kucherov, and Matthews/Mitch Marner.... work ethic ain't gonna help much. It will work for a dozen of games or so - and it did, as we saw - but at some point, the lack of talent will start making the difference.  

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, PuckMeister said:

Not to worry guys.  The commish says this franchise is fine!  Of course, he doesn't buy tickets.  My fear is we will have the worst record and still not get in the top three picks.  I HATE how they have changed the draft and I HATE shoot outs.

Shootouts are nothing but a gimmick and three on three is even worse. Don't even get me started with Gritty and the clown banging a drum at center ice between periods and especially the deafening ****** fake music and horrendous hip hop shat they blast at every stoppage. Last game I went to, the so called music was so loud I couldn't wait to leave.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I don't actually think that is true. We've had a number of talented slackers over the years that played some nights/shifts and took others off. I'm not concerned with the past though. Doesn't help. This is year one of the Torts era. Forward is the only way to look. 

Keep telling yourself that.  Then wonder why the same thing happens.

On 11/21/2022 at 8:07 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

If there was a worthwhile strategy to losing I'd be all for it but the idea that they'll "hit rock bottom..." and then be able to "...rid themselves..." I just don't see it happening. My guess is Clarke and Holmgren will retire when they want to. They won't get fired. Maybe Lombardi or Scott I don't know but a clean sweep no way. The only "rid themselves" scenario I can envision is Fletcher vs. Tortorella after the Flyers miss the POs again.

And wanting the Flyers to lose to snag Bedard with an 18.5% chance of picking first as opposed to a 9.5% chance doesn't make sense to me. Double the odds sure but twice practically nothing is still practically nothing.

Along the same lines some fans want the Flyers to "tank." Nobody ever explains how it's supposed to work...whatever. Years ago the Pens tanked to get Mario but that was before the lottery. Losing on purpose doesn't happen these days for good reason; there's no payoff there's only slightly better odds.

Well if we can start with the lousiest GM on the planet, that's a step in the right direction.