Flyers after Fletcher, who would we want as the next GM?

mojo1917

On 11/25/2022 at 5:38 PM, flyercanuck said:

Virtually impossible to limbo under.

yeah the bar is pretty low.

I saw a quote the other day that had me howling. After Carolina signed Kochetkov for 2 million a year for the next 4 years.

"Carolina's GM is playing chess while the other GM's are playing checkers. And in some cases, guys like Holland and Fletcher are eating the pieces"

Im also going to add one of the funniest videos of Ristolainen just for the lol's

Edited by J0e Th0rnton
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I watched this like 15 times and laughed just as hard every time.   And cringed a little.

Funny as hell quote, too!

Risto "did everything he could to keep it in!".
Including putting a hurtin on that unruly side board.

I bet that board will think twice about agitating next time... :shifty: 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I watched this like 15 times and laughed just as hard every time.   And cringed a little.

Funny as hell quote, too!

The stick going flying is gold. How do you have spacial awareness so bad you forget how close the boards are?

But this does explain how he often forgets he has an open man 3 feet away

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

yeah the bar is pretty low.

I saw a quote the other day that had me howling. After Carolina signed Kochetkov for 2 million a year for the next 4 years.

"Carolina's GM is playing chess while the other GM's are playing checkers. And in some cases, guys like Holland and Fletcher are eating the pieces"

Im also going to add one of the funniest videos of Ristolainen just for the lol's

It's exactly what came to mind when Fletcher grossly overpaid and outbid himself for him.

Shayne Gostisbehere has 14 points this season. 

The 2 defencemen Fletcher brought in at the cost of him, a 1st, 3-2nds a 3rd, a 4th and Robert Hagg have a combined 10 points.

I know, it's not all about points. Gostisbehere always seemed to be a decent teammate. Ristolainen is also one of the dumbest players I've seen in the NHL and Deangelo is a douchebag.

Asset management 101.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

Two of my top picks, would be...if they don't go this individual "has previous experience as an NHL GM" route, would be Mathieu Darche, Tampa Bay Lightning director of hockey operations. You've seen what a great team they've built through their system..via drafting and scouting  OR (gulp) another guy with Flyer organ-eye-zation ties, Rob DiMaio, who is the St. Louis Blues director of player personnel.

• Thanks 1

anyfreakingbody. Nothing the chucktard has done should surprise anyone. He did the same thing to the Wild. Someone who gives a shite more than me should list all of his deconstructing moves he has done to the Flyer fan base. I say that because comcast obviously doesn't care. 

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

Hey give Farwell some credit, he picked Forsberg, that’s a better pick than anyone  Clarke, Holmgren Hextall or Fletcher ever picked.

Then, traded away (at least) two Cups. wall hh holmes GIF

Yes, I did go there! :beer:

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Stevie Wonder has more vision than Fletcher.

Trilobites working to evolve the capacity for sight have more vision.

Any GM that sees a trade for a 30 year old defenceman as a cornerstone deal is grasping and hoping to hit a number.

I'll let y'all comment on the history of the current brain trust doing EXACTLY that.

They have extended two guys who have achieved NOTHING as Flyers. I've come around on Laughton but he's not a piece to build around. Sanheim's extension is simply midboggling.

This organization* is extending players who have achieved NOTHING and expecting that they will achieve now.

I don't have to make any case to support my contention that they have no freaking idea how to make a competitive team in 2022 than the case they have made themselves.

I had pride in the crest.

It's a ****** joke now.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

9 hours ago, radoran said:

Sanheim's extension is simply midboggling.

Really? You didn't see the potential for a solid 35+ point / decent defender, a reliable 2nd-pair guy (provided Ristolainen isn't his partner)? I thought I did. Unfortunately so far his extension looks ridiculous in light of his play this season. He had been skating with Seeler (or was it Braun?) up until a game or 2 ago, now he's back with Ristolainen. Surprise surprise it didn't help.

I still hope he'll be an offensive force on the back end for the Flyers. If he does then he'll merit his $6.25mil salary and we'll be glad he's around till 2028.

So for comparison, this is what Jim Nill at Dallas did:

1) Heiskanen (23yrs) signed until 2029

2) Oettinger (23yrs) signed until 2025

3) Robertson (23yrs) signed until 2026

4) Hintz (26yrs) *just* signed until 2031

Most expensive contract is $8.45 million. With the Salary Cap going up next year, the Stars are set.

This is what good, sound management means... something we are not accustomed to, here.

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Really? You didn't see the potential for a solid 35+ point / decent defender, a reliable 2nd-pair guy (provided Ristolainen isn't his partner)? I thought I did. Unfortunately so far his extension looks ridiculous in light of his play this season. He had been skating with Seeler (or was it Braun?) up until a game or 2 ago, now he's back with Ristolainen. Surprise surprise it didn't help.

I still hope he'll be an offensive force on the back end for the Flyers. If he does then he'll merit his $6.25mil salary and we'll be glad he's around till 2028.

You sound like Flyers management: paying a guy for what you hope he will be instead of what he is.

The Flyers always decide the role they need first (2C, 3D, whatever), then pay for that position almost without regard to whether the player actually fills that role.

No it's got nothing to do with "paying for what you hope" it has to do with past performance. Saddled with Ristolainen last year, on one of the worst Flyers' teams ever he put up 31 points. The only other full season he played he hit 35.

Unfortunately he's failed to carry it over to this year, although he does have 16 points in 22 games, which is pretty good. The problem is the rest of his game has fallen off pretty badly. So we'll see...

But I'm sure if Sanheim were to find the cure for cancer you'd say "great. what took him so long?"